PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Darksiders
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #31
Ackis

Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via MSN to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis

CanadaAckis's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm going through this game now, and I'm glad I just rented it and didn't buy it. The black tower puzzle... wow wtf?

I think I have 12-15 hours in and 4 hours of that has been in combat, the rest dealing with the puzzles.

The story line, well I love it and that's what's driving me to finish it.

But it is too predicable IMO. Puzzle -> lots of enemies -> puzzle -> lots of enemies, rinse and repeat.
Ackis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:14 PM   #32
Valdarez

Valdarez's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackis View Post
I'm going through this game now, and I'm glad I just rented it and didn't buy it. The black tower puzzle... wow wtf?

I think I have 12-15 hours in and 4 hours of that has been in combat, the rest dealing with the puzzles.

The story line, well I love it and that's what's driving me to finish it.

But it is too predicable IMO. Puzzle -> lots of enemies -> puzzle -> lots of enemies, rinse and repeat.
Been a week or so since I finished, so maybe my memorie's hazy. Other than the Black tower (which definitely had a slower pacing than the rest of the game) what other puzzles were there? Click a switch to open a door? IMHO that's not a puzzle.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
Malkaiah

Malkaiah's Gamercard
Game is still fresh in my mind, there aren't a load of puzzles really, just bits of timing and clever use of items that you're already given, more like mild Zelda-type puzzles than what I call a puzzle. Silent Hill grade puzzles I'm meaning, Darksiders has very little in the way of tough puzzles in my opinion.

Malkaiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:30 AM   #34
Ace Attorney 86

Ace Attorney 86's Gamercard
I'd give this game a solid 8. It borrowed some best bits from Zelda, God of War, and Portal of all things. The puzzles are rather boring and the Black Tower went on way too long, it was just recycling the same puzzles and minibosses 3 times. The story was better than your usual RPG but it could have done a lot more with the concept. I was hoping War was going to run into Gabriel or Michael or some other Biblical figures. Good ending though.
Ace Attorney 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #35
Ackis

Send a message via ICQ to Ackis Send a message via AIM to Ackis Send a message via MSN to Ackis Send a message via Yahoo to Ackis

CanadaAckis's Gamercard

For me the puzzles and timing "issues" all roll into puzzles and detracted from the overall fun of the game.

I just got to see the ending last night and the storyline was excellent. I think for me to beat the game with most of the collectibles took about 18 hours (I'm missing 1 wrath core SOMEWHERE). I am going through again on the harder difficulty to see how fast I can get done (with getting the wrath cores) and maybe it'll be a lot less frustrating.

But the timing of the jumps just doesn't do it for me. There'd be times where I'd "time" my jump slow and fall to my death. As in, he wouldn't even do a jump at all. That coupled with the health regeneration issues was just bleh.

Those types of things aren't for me. I want to play a game, not spend 10-20 minutes trying to time a jump correctly. :P
Old 03-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #36
Indyy xXx

Indyy xXx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
i dont see whats wrong with this game tbh i love it its awesome apart from when i was stuck on this demon douche bag on the broken stair part -.- i killed him today yay! XD

war is voice by the same guy who does Illidan stormrage in wow
and the black thing that follows him around is voiced by Luke skywalker! XD
he also does some of the zombie voices in LFD lol when i read it i was like wtf XD

Thanks To jtr1gg3r For An Awesome Sig!!!
Indyy xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:22 AM   #37
Levex817

Levex817's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyy xXx View Post
the black thing that follows him around is voiced by Luke skywalker! XD
he also does some of the zombie voices in LFD lol when i read it i was like wtf XD
He is also doing the voice of the Joker in Arkham Asylum 1 and 2 apparently.

Last edited by Levex817; 03-13-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Levex817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #38
KNIGHTOFSERA

hyrulesknight's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Well weve established the OP is wrong beyond further explanation

but anyways, yes this game is awesome
KNIGHTOFSERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:21 AM   #39
Indyy xXx

Indyy xXx's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levex817 View Post
He is also doing the voice of the Joker in Arkham Asylum 1 and 2 apparently.
lmao seriously? cool xP

Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #40
Malkaiah

Malkaiah's Gamercard
Not to mention, for all you anime fans out there, the voice of War is the same as the voice of Vincent Law/Ergo in Ergo Proxy. He does a very good job.

Strange thing about the jump timing issue is that I was plagued by it through my entire Normal playthrough, haven't succumbed to it once in my Apocalyptic playthough (currently just over 8 hours and beaten the second Guardian in the Black Tower). So I think it's a manner of getting used to it, really love the game though, I can't wait for the sequel.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #41
Wicelow

Wicelow's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Quote:
lmao seriously? cool xP
He also voiced the Joker in the animated series.

On topic, do not avoid the game (because it's awesome), avoid the OP instead.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #42
Ackis

CanadaAckis's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicelow View Post
He also voiced the Joker in the animated series.

On topic, do not avoid the game (because it's awesome), avoid the OP instead.
He used the same exact voice in Batman as he did in Darksiders. Was a bit, I'm not sure the term for it, but it would've been nice to hear a different voice. Still decent that it was him though.

I did a second playthrough, completed the game with collecting all the artifacts, health, rage and weapon power ups, did it in just over 12 hours on the hardest difficulty setting.

Someone said that there weren't a lot of puzzles in the game... it's filled with them. :P The cathedral, black tower, etc.

The main character's model looks like Arthas from the World of Warcraft series. Game was short overall, and the puzzles were extremely frustrating at times. Storyline is wicked. Ending is even more wicked.

Overall I think I'd give it a 6/10 (FYI that's the same rating I gave dragon age :P)
Old 03-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #43
Malkaiah

Malkaiah's Gamercard
Quote:
I did a second playthrough, completed the game with collecting all the artifacts, health, rage and weapon power ups, did it in just over 12 hours on the hardest difficulty setting.

Someone said that there weren't a lot of puzzles in the game... it's filled with them. :P The cathedral, black tower, etc.
I did the same in 8 hours but it depends how much you can remember really, I breezed through my second playthrough as I knew where everything was and had no trouble with any of the bosses.

As for the puzzles (yes, it was me that said there aren't a lot in the game), there isn't much in Darksiders that I would call a puzzle. A puzzle to me involves a lot of thinking, logical thought. Puzzles to me are the kind found in games like Silent Hill, where you really need to think about the solution, rather than use certain items or get your timing just right. A few parts of the Black Tower were a bit puzzle-ish with redirecting the beams (in some rooms) but that's about it.

Still an excellent game for me, gets an easy 9/10 considering how amazing the storyline is.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #44
Indyy xXx

Indyy xXx's Gamercard

Quote:
He used the same exact voice in Batman as he did in Darksiders. Was a bit, I'm not sure the term for it, but it would've been nice to hear a different voice. Still decent that it was him though.

The main character's model looks like Arthas from the World of Warcraft series. Game was short overall, and the puzzles were extremely frustrating at times. Storyline is wicked. Ending is even more wicked.

Overall I think I'd give it a 6/10 (FYI that's the same rating I gave dragon age :P)

thats what i thought i was like this to my bf " omg he looks like arthas!" haha

Old 03-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #45
Exhausted Dad

ddi0994's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1
I thought this game was a lot of fun, not the biggest challenge but a good solid game.
And yes Mark Hamill is a amazing voice actor.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #46
Ackis

CanadaAckis's Gamercard

Quote:
thats what i thought i was like this to my bf " omg he looks like arthas!" haha
LOL I just noticed your signature. :P
Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 AM   #47
Gorilla Stomper

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Seems a bit stupid to tell people to avoid a pretty good game...

I don't get your beef with it. The things you mentioned, are the problems with every game ever. So I really don't see your point.

You must be one of those people that expects all games to be totally unique and have the most amazing graphics of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
Yeah you're right anime is stupid and for dudes with tiny dicks.
Gorilla Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:26 PM   #48
JoshYo 16

Josh1228's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
Hi

I have gamefly and I usually visit a games' forum and do a little write-up if the game is horrible. I'm just going to share a short list this time, though.

Pros:

- Interesting characters
- Environments are convincing
- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Dated graphics
- Repetitive, uninspired gameplay
- Unbalanced combat
- Lack of creativity (unoriginal game)
- Bad checkpoint / saving system
- Extremely clunky controls
- Engine lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency)
- Broken dodge / block system
- You have to load a game to refill your health

My score: 3/10

The game is almost unplayable. It's plagued with issues, is not fun, and seems like an unfinished product. Try it or buy it at your own risk, not recommended.
You need to pull that stick out of your ass. All I see from you is "Avoid this game" posts. This game is more than playable, actually a game I want to play.

Anything you mentioned that is actually a problem, can be fixed simply by a patch.

A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by APassingShadow View Post
A pack of cigarettes and some hot dogs, our friends in the sky saved the day

Last edited by JoshYo 16; 03-23-2010 at 06:29 PM.
JoshYo 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #49
Rjs37

CG Rjs's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamouth View Post
I finished the game last weekend and I really enjoyed it. Apart from boosting the crappy Dark Rider achievement I thought the game was pretty good.
I presume that's the horse riding one? If so then yeah I ended up doing the elastic band trick for that one.

And concerning the actual thread I would actually consider it a pretty good game, certainly not perfect and indeed it used a lot of elements from other games but for me it was executed very well.

The storyline was enjoyable to play through and the gameplay was fairly solid. I would have given it 8/10. It's a heck of a lot better than Bayonetta which I'm currently working my way through. Both of them were rentals though as I didn't see the need to purchase them.
Rjs37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #50
miiiguel

SlayerSpecial's Gamercard
You are so wrong, but probably you are frustrated with some section of the game you can't pass, that happens, no need to post hate.

Joe Madureira art in motion. It is a top title of my 360 video game collection.
miiiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #51
VolNick

DevDaddyNick's Gamercard
As I read through the original post, I was sitting here trying to think of how you came to all these conclusions, and was planning on how I was going to rebuke your statements. Then I got to the end, and I read: "You have to load a game to refill your health"

That sir, made it obvious that you didn't play the game (at least, not for any extended period of time.) By the time I got to the Crossroads (about 15-20 mins in), I had already figured out that green souls are health, blue souls are currency, and yellow souls are wrath. Wanna know how I learned this? Right before going to the Crossroads, it's explained in a cutscene, which you apparently didn't watch, which also explains your gripe about the story. It's hard to enjoy a story that you're completely ignoring.

So, based on these facts alone, I can easily throw out the rest of your statements, because you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Either you're a troll who's just trying to piss people off, or you're just an idiot. Next time you want to rant about how horrible a game is, try playing it first.

I leave you with one final meme: Fail troll is fail.

Last edited by VolNick; 04-01-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Fixed typos
VolNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #52
D_J_3

buttoon's Gamercard
To avoid this game would be a stupid idea! Its one of the only games i look forward to playin at the moment and was a joy to play through... (minus the guy on the broken stairway bridge on apocalyptic!)
The storyline itself sucks you in enough that you want to play just to find out who's ass war is going to kick next...

This game does what it is meant to do very well... easily a 8.5/10

As for jumping, i have only ever had one time it jumped late. Filling your life is easy if you kill people and use the chests provided.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #53
Nero Mystyraa

Nero Mystyraa's Gamercard
Yeah i don't know what the Thread starter was thinking....this game is lots of fun. I've seen a lot of people bitch about this game for being alot like God of War and Zelda. Since when is that a bad thing? They combined 2 awesome games together to make another freakin awesome game.

I've had so much fun playing this game so far. The combat is only repetitive if you only mash the X button like a retard. Once you unlock the other weapons and buy all their combos, combat will start to feel like a Devil May Cry game, which is another awesome game =D

I've also seen a lot of people saying the game has no variety. I have no idea what they're talking about. I loved the little mini-game with Ulthane where it keeps track of how many kills you and Ulthane have gotten. And i loved the sections where you could pick up that huge Angel gun and just blast the crap out of every enemy =)

Let's not forget that AWESOME section where you ride the Angelic Beast! I loved that part. Sort of like a shooting mini-game. I never expected anything like that in the game.

What about the Ash lands? Going from one non-sandy platform to the other while avoiding the sand worms. Did that part remind anyone else of the awesome movie called Tremors?

How the hell can people say there is no variety. I see people constantly saying stuff like puzzle -> fighting -> puzzle -> fighting. The puzzles for the most part are easy. Some of them require a bit of thinking but you get that satisfied feeling once you figure out how to solve it.

The game is fun, that's a fact. And why do we play games? To have fun. I think i've made myself clear.
Nero Mystyraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #54
Jeek x

Jeek x's Gamercard
I stopped reading after OP's post about Dante's Inferno being superior.
Jeek x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #55
xcarmacksx

x Carmacks x's Gamercard
Its better than CODMW2
xcarmacksx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 PM   #56
ensabahnur

Roka360's Gamercard

This is hilarious. Oinkness, i can see where you are allowed your opinion, and maybe you play 1000 games a year so you need a lot of originality and uniqueness, but i will say that i disagree with you.

I started playing it this week finally and i feel that this game has got me hooked, i definitely see myself possibly 100%'ing this game, the gameplay was pretty solid, i do wish he could jump higher but thats just a wish.

Also the way you posed it was baiting and that is just wrong, but i appreciate that you pointed out where you exactly you had issues.

Now Sonic Unleashed, thats a 1/10

100% Retail - King Kong, College Hoops 2K6, Fight Night 3, Madden 06, NBA 2K6, Avatar, Spider-man FOF, TMNT,Eragon, Jumper, Assasins Creed, Open Season,Backyard Football

10000-5/27/08 w/ GOW - Dont hate the player and Mix It up
20K-2/28/09 -SWFU
40K - 2/28/10
ensabahnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #57
THF_Reborn

Solemn Renegade's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
Hi

I have gamefly and I usually visit a games' forum and do a little write-up if the game is horrible. I'm just going to share a short list this time, though.

Pros:

- Interesting characters
- Environments are convincing
- Good soundtrack

Cons:

- Dated graphics
- Repetitive, uninspired gameplay
- Unbalanced combat
- Lack of creativity (unoriginal game)
- Bad checkpoint / saving system
- Extremely clunky controls
- Engine lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency)
- Broken dodge / block system
- You have to load a game to refill your health

My score: 3/10

The game is almost unplayable. It's plagued with issues, is not fun, and seems like an unfinished product. Try it or buy it at your own risk, not recommended.
I suspect we have a unskilled, button-mashing, hater here, let's review:
Pros:

- Interesting characters -- Agree, Very interesting characters

- Environments are convincing -- Agree, very nice.

- Good soundtrack -- Agree, nice war feeling to it

Cons:

- Dated graphics -- Disagree, the graphics have a comic book/animated movie feel to them but show up very nice and sharp.

- Repetitive, uninspired gameplay -- Disagree, the enemies come at you in varying sizes and types with different attack styles. Combat is fun as long as you dont hack and slash with chaoseater the entire game

- Unbalanced combat -- Disagree, I'm playing through on apocolyptic difficulty and I am met with challenging but not overkill enemies and bosses.

- Lack of creativity (unoriginal game) -- Disagree, this feels like an original game even if it has similarities with others. Anway, why get upset when a developer makes a fun game with controls and gameplay similar to another. Just more hours of fun for us gamers.

- Bad checkpoint / saving system -- Disagree, You can save anywhere from the in-game menu. Can't get much better than that.

- Extremely clunky controls -- Disagree, the controls flow very nicely unless you're button mashing, there are a variety of weapons and attacks, use them.

- Engine lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency) -- Disagree, I have never seen this happen, maybe get your xbox checked out, I suspect a system issue here.

- Broken dodge / block system -- Disagree, Timing is everything, Just make sure your not moving when you block, simple as that.

- You have to load a game to refill your health -- Disagree, well, I guess if you suck you might do this every few minutes, but for those of us blessed with any skill, green chests are waiting for you to break open and refill your health.

Overall the game is very enjoyable and would I have bought this game I would not have regretted the decision. Ignore the haters, this game is worth your time. 8/10
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #58
montrossity

Send a message via AIM to montrossity

montrossity's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez View Post
This has to be one of the worst reviews I have ever read on the site. You clearly have very little experience playing games, or a background of gaming across other consoles. Either that, or you're just down right lying.

Lets look at your 'Cons', which really are cons, if you convince anyone they are true.

Dated Graphics
The graphics were done by an actual graphic artist (http://www.joemadfan.com/) and while the art style was big, the graphics were in no way 'dated'. All of the environments were detailed, unique, and most importantly, were non-repetitive. The only negative I noticed was during the Broken Stairs level where some of the buildings looked warped, instead of broken, and lacked some detail.

The animations were top class. They were fluid, fit the context, and were disparate (different) across enemies with regards to finishing moves. The game was very brutal, with severed arms, legs, and decapitations a plenty. Blood gushed crazily and was animated well. Definitely nothing 'dated' in the graphics or animations department.

Repetitive, uninspired gameplay
Repetitive? In the sense that you are killing things, maybe, but not in the sense of the overall progression. The puzzle solving is different for each major level. The levels are all unique, and non-repetitive. In addition there are 3 main weapons (4 if you count the last sword), and 6 different secondary weapons, though these are used more for puzzle solving than fighting, as well as 4 Combat moves, not to mention the Chaos Form, the swimming, and the flying eagle combat.

As for 'uninspired', the game draws on aspects of Legend of Zelda, God of War, Portal, and Soul Reaver, a pretty darn good class of games to emulate.

Unbalanced Combat
Clearly, you never learned to play the game. The game provides way to stun enemies with the Horn and the Boomerang, a Dash button to avoid hits (RB), and various ways to damage from a distant (Gun, Gauntlet, and Reaver, each with varying distance attack). As for 'unbalanced', it definitely is not. You simply have to learn how to avoid each enemies attack, and how best to attack it. This approach to combat makes it less repetitive.

Lack of Creativity (unoriginal game)
Really? How many other 4 Horsemen games have you played? I haven't played any that I can think of. The storyline is very unique, it's told well, and has a great ending. The game plays like Legend of Zelda, with Soul Reaver story telling, and God of War blood/gore. It's a great combination.

Bad checkpoint / saving system
Yet more proof that you simply didn't play the game. The game sports a 'save anytime' capability. That's right, you can save at any point in the game. That's about as good as it gets from an in game save implementation.

Extremely Clunky Controls
Clunky? How so? They were mapped extremely well, and they were very tight. A is used to jump, X for primary weapons, Y for secondary weapons, B for action / to grab, LB for Combat Actions, RB to Dash, LT to target an single enemy, and RT to shoot (gun, other secondary weapons). They were all uber responsive. Again, sounds like you never learned to play the game.

Engine Lag (you will often walk off every platform you try to jump from due to the engine's latency)
Wow, this is definite proof that you didn't learn to play the game. While I fell off a few areas, it wasn't from jumping. It was usually when fighting. If you couldn't 'jump' properly, than that's a skill issue on your part, not a deficiency in the game. I had no problem platforming in the game.

Broken Dodge / Block System

Again, your lack of knowledge of the game, and or skill is apparent. You could see every attack coming, and dodge out of the way via RB. In what way is this 'broken'? As to the Block, not everything can be blocked. You have to learn what can, and cannot be blocked. Some attacks can't be blocked, others have to be timed blocks, and still others can't be blocked at all. It's up to you to learn which approach works with each enemy type. It wasn't all that hard to learn. Typically one encounter was enough to know how to fight each enemy.

You have to load a game to refill your health
I played on Apocalyptic level and never once had to load a game to refill my health. When you get low on health, the creatures automatically give you green souls for more health. When you die, it takes you back to the last checkpoint and gives you a 3.5 soul bar health. Makes it pretty easy to survive anything, especially with the Stone Skin Combat Action. Once you get the Abyssal Armor, then it's a cake walk.

Summary

It's clear that you don't know what you're talking about with your review. That you didn't even learn to play the game, which my 10 year old nephew could figure out in a single game session. Worse, you posted your 'review' as fact based on this limited knowledge. DarkSiders is a great game. Incorprating the gameplay aspects of Zelda & Portal, the gore of God of War, and the story telling / voice overs of SoulReaver. I'm not a FPS / shooter gamer, and story is one of my top requirements for a good game. DarkSiders is personally one of my top 5 games on the XBox 360 and one of the few games that I believe deserves a buy.
The OP got raped....lol.

Ultramarathoner.
Swim, bike, run.
montrossity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #59
ExecutiveN00B

ExecutiveN00B's Gamercard
I guess if you forget the 7/10 syndrome that reviewers being nice have generally set, 5/10 would be alright/good (which is what I'd rate it) and I can see how being stuck on it could drag it down a mark. I guess he did given reasons aswell, even if they're a bit stupid
ExecutiveN00B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #60
delluxxo

Adored Delluxxo's Gamercard
Darksiders is awesome game, which mostly getting 9/10 or 10/10.

Maybe some1 who lacking skills can rate it 3/10...

Game is very playable and guarantee many hours of fun. I know, what Im talking about, due I have 1000/1000 here.
delluxxo is offline   Reply With Quote