PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Music and Rhythm > Lips
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
DivinityCycle

Send a message via AIM to DivinityCycle Send a message via MSN to DivinityCycle Send a message via Yahoo to DivinityCycle

DivinityCycle's Gamercard
Earn Stars With Zero Effort (Another Lame Boosting Method)

This method allows you to earn stars with zero effort. My game is running and pulling in stars as we speak. I just broke 150K. Yesterday I had like 36K. I hope to get 200K by the end of the day.

I am posting this here because this is the site where people are like "Play this game, you can earn 1000 Gamerpoints in 20 minutes, here's how!" So, yes, I am aware that this is essentially cheating. Please do not flame me.

What Do You Need?
-Lips: Number One Hits or Lips: Party Classics (NOT the original game)
-At least one working mic
-A USB storage device that works in the Freestyle mode

Preferred For Maximum Simplicity
-A USB microphone (I'm using a Rock Band 2 mic)
-a pair of headphones
-Some method of playing back an mp3 over said headphones
-A turbo controller
-A wired controller or a Play & Charge Kit (to prevent your controller from turning off on its own)

How It Works
In Lips Number One Hits and Lips Party Classics, the Freestyle Mode actually allows you to gain stars, unlike the first game where you couldn't. This opens up an opportunity for cheating. If what goes into the mic matches up with the MP3 that is being played, your Star Stream meter begins to fill. Once its full you can activate it and earn stars.

One of my other hobbies is making music. After some trial and error I was able to create an mp3 specifically for this purpose. Its like 38 minutes of a single synthesizer tone going over and over. Why 38 minutes? Because the Star Stream is limited to 9999 stars being earned in a single song. Once you hit that limit, you cannot earn any more Stars until the next song.

The basic idea is that you play the mp3 in Freestyle and then somehow run that same tone through the microphone. This will constantly run your score up and, if you activate it, Stars.

My specific setup for accomplishing this:
-I'm using a Rock Band 2 USB mic. This is because the Star Stream is auto-activated with this microphone, meaning you don't have to shake it at all.
-I have a pair of big headphones hooked up to my computer.
Here's how they're arranged:

With this arrangement, I can run the tone quiet enough that I cannot hear it but the mic can.
-I am using a Street Fighter IV Fight Pad, perfect for this kind of thing cuz its wired and has a turbo function. I am using this to simply press A over and over, thus handling the process of starting the same song over and over without me doing anything. I'm using a pair of pliers to hold the button down, likeso:

-I've got my headphones hooked up to my computer with the mp3 playing on repeat play, and I have a USB device with just my boosting MP3 on it hooked up to my 360. I believe it would be possible to do the same thing using just a 360, provided you have a way to hook headphones to your 360. Note, if you do this, you need to make sure your mic volume is turned all the way down, otherwise you'll get feedback.

I have posted the mp3 to MediaFire for you guys:
http://www.mediafire.com/?evnjjnjt2dd

I hope someone else finds this method useful, as the 200K Stars achievement is (IMO) pretty brutal if you had to do it legit. This way you can earn the stars literally in your sleep
Old 03-04-2010, 12:50 AM   #2
DivinityCycle

Send a message via AIM to DivinityCycle Send a message via MSN to DivinityCycle Send a message via Yahoo to DivinityCycle

Also, if you are missing one of the pieces of gear I listed, you can still do this method. Each item is used to get around a specific problem:
-The USB mic auto-activates Star Power. Its also nice cuz it will never run out of batteries. If you don't have one you can still do this, you just need to shake the mic every time you want to activate star power, which requires you to be looking at the screen periodically, holding the mic, and shaking the mic periodically. This means without a USB mic you cannot do this method "unattended", but could still run the song manually. You will pull about 9500 stars each time you play through my mp3.
-The Wired controller is used to avoid having your controller automatically turn off, which would pause the song 10 minutes in.
-The Turbo controller is used to automatically restart the song once it ends, allowing you to fully ignore / leave your 360 while you earn stars.
-The headphones are the least necessary component. They are to allow for silent operations. If you don't have headphones you could use your TV speaker instead, it's just that you'll have a buzzing sound going in that room while this is going on. So, if you can muffle that or ignore it, or simply leave the room, then that isn't an issue and you don't "need" headphones.

I hope this covers 90% of the questions I would get about this stuff.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
DivinityCycle

so as of now I have 248,595 stars. A conservative calculation seems to indicate you can pull about 240 stars per minute using this method. Hope it helps some folks
Old 03-04-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
DivinityCycle

Just an update, this ONLY works on Party Classics, it seems. I thought that #1 Hits got USB compatiblity patched into it, but apparently not SORRY!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
edw211

Send a message via AIM to edw211 Send a message via Skype™ to edw211

edw211's Gamercard
You sir, are a cheevo whore beyond all conceivable imagination... I tip my hat to you.

Completed Arcade: Call of Duty Classic, Aegis Wing, Dash of Destruction, Battlefield 1943, Doritos Crash Course, Harm's Way

Working On: Battlefield 2, Bioshock

12/16/10: 10000 GS - Lab Rat, Dead Space
8/28/11: 20000 GS - Irony, BioShock
edw211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Lonsta DaMonsta

Send a message via AIM to Lonsta DaMonsta

Lonsta DaMonsta's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Silver   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Wow, I've created some contraptions myself for achievements in the past but didn't even think of this for Lips. Mainly because I didn't know USB microphones worked on the new Lips. Fortunately I have everything you've posted, including the exact same Street Fighter turbo controller
I will take pictures of my setup later and post them, just know that if no one else can even attempt this that I can, and that you've helped me out tremendously -- Thanks!!!!!!!

First legit 1000 in Rockstar Table Tennis
First person to have 1750 in three different games
Lonsta DaMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
tractakid

Tractakid's Gamercard
I didn't think No.1 Hits supported USB microphones- which would make this method almost pointless as you have to tilt the mic every 2 seconds... which is pants :P
tractakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
Lonsta DaMonsta

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Silver   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Just wanted to say, this worked like a champ. I left it on while I slept for 5-6 hours today, went from 135,000 to 203,000

My set-up was the exact same as yours, except that I taped down my A button instead of using vice grips. Enjoy the pic! And thanks so much for this tip!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
HamKet

Ham Salad's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Silver   Submit - Gold   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Silver
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Thanks for this.

I was at 165,000 stars and getting really tired of singing songs over and over, and only getting an average of 200 stars per song. I downloaded your "song" and got to 200,000 stars within 2 hours, or three episodes of "The Office."
Old 03-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #10
daninthemix

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well done, this works great.

daninthemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Sniper.K

SniperKaat's Gamercard
GENIUS!!

I'll try it tonight
Sniper.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
SPY_6000

SPY 6000's Gamercard
Not working for me

The game do not register anything.
SPY_6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #13
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Ive got some of the GTA chat shows on my ipod. Would they work?

So the turbo pad is not a must?

3rd November 2012 - Joined the 100K club

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY?

Raptar
Voice

Baihu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
ShinjiMessiah

shinji messiah's Gamercard
Once again, i'd rather have 11k gs earned honestly than 10 times the amount by bypassing or cheating.

Cheaters never prosper.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

Clearly do in this case

I like Lips and enjoying going for the achievements but 200k? Thats just a chore.

3rd November 2012 - Joined the 100K club

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY?

Raptar
Voice

Baihu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
Lonsta DaMonsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinjiMessiah View Post
Once again, i'd rather have 11k gs earned honestly than 10 times the amount by bypassing or cheating.

Cheaters never prosper.
LOL, this is not cheating. You do realize you are on an achievement forum, right? People simply look for the quickest/easiest way to earn achievements.

Now, simply downloading game saves, aka "Gamesaving" is cheating and is not tolerated. This microphone/headset/turbo controller set-up is not cheating the least bit.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #17
DiegoCaldo

Send a message via MSN to DiegoCaldo

DiegoCaldo's Gamercard
Quote:

Cheaters never prosper.
Seriously, who cares? I already have 160.000 stars earned legitly. Why not using an alternate method to get them? This cheevo is a pain in the ***, so that MS is not going to put it in the following LIPS games.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:23 AM   #18
Cla55y

Bond OO7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Silver   GSL 11 Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
This is fricking awesome!!! what a method, i love seeing the score just rolling up at a ridiculous speed! such an awesome feeling sticking it to M$ like this, likes very much for the method and more importantly taking the time to put the track together at the right length and everything!

5 stars! and this should be stickied!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55y View Post
This is fricking awesome!!! what a method, i love seeing the score just rolling up at a ridiculous speed! such an awesome feeling sticking it to M$ like this, likes very much for the method and more importantly taking the time to put the track together at the right length and everything!

5 stars! and this should be stickied!
I second this. This is helping me finish off my last few achievements nicely and really helps take the grind away as I can do other things whilst earning. Cheers for the track and the method.

ponypo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #20
Cla55y

Bond OO7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Silver   GSL 11 Winner   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponypo2001 View Post
I second this. This is helping me finish off my last few achievements nicely and really helps take the grind away as I can do other things whilst earning. Cheers for the track and the method.
Also if you need medals download ice ice baby and just prop your mic up to the fan i get the 4 medals that dont require me everytime (i dont get party and performance because i dont do anything at all, lol. but its the technique ones i find the hardest

EDIT: If you have the original lips Bust a move works just as well. i just happened to have ice ice baby from when i bought it to get my infinity shades, lol. i am a whore for the avatar awards :S

but obviously with the original lips you cant have the wired mic

Last edited by Cla55y; 04-30-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Cla55y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #21
Dead Space Girl

Dead Space Girl's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:

Cheaters never prosper.
WOW!!!!!!!!! What a TOTALLY worthwhile post and absolutely AWESOME contribution to this thread! You are almost as helpful and as positive a site contributor as the poster of this original topic! Reach for the stars my friend!
has any girls tried messaging any of the champs, getting the belts off them and trading it around? the champs mite listen to a girl asking for the achievement.
Dead Space Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #22
LAClennell

LAClennell's Gamercard
I'm going to do this method. I accidently deleted my Lips data due to confusion between hard drive and memory card, and I had like 90,000 stars or something

LAClennell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
Don Pedro X

Don Pedro X's Gamercard
You legend!!!
Don Pedro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #24
EDDS

EDDS's Gamercard
just started doing this today, started with 70k legit stars, theres no way in hell im doing 200k legit stars though. so thanks for this :P
Old 07-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #25
EDDS

EDDS's Gamercard
ok i have my 200k stars, all i need now is another 500 medals, is there an easy boosting way to do that?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #26
stevie vip 99

stevie vip 99's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDDS View Post
ok i have my 200k stars, all i need now is another 500 medals, is there an easy boosting way to do that?
For medals sing with 2 mics on duet (co op) that way you can get twice the medals for each song. There may be an easy boosting way but this worked for me, can pick up 10/12 medals each song i sing. Hope this helps in some way
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
EDDS

EDDS's Gamercard
cheers m8, this is gonna take a while lol
Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #28
kenshinesca

BTW After playing this song around 10 times or so the amount of stars you will gain will drop dramatically, to remedy this just clear the system cache and you'll be back to earning 8,000-10,000 stars every time.

NVM I think I just had to adjust my microphone around the headphones

Last edited by kenshinesca; 07-29-2010 at 06:32 PM.
kenshinesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #29
wgpfly

Elmo TeH AzN's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
So my big question is this. Since I dont have 100,000 stars yet in Lips and I do this to 200k would I net both achievements or just the one till I start lips back up?

Current Goals
200K 75% Completion.
wgpfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
Slim Panatella

Slim Panatella's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
For some reason my Xbox will not recognize any of my USB devices so I have had to play the song using Windows media center (which is in the freestyle options menu).
Slim Panatella is offline   Reply With Quote