Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Movies
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
MrBubbles x360a

xX GetaBoshi Xx's Gamercard

Does anyone else think that the film Avatar is overrated. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie and thought it was entertaining as hell but the plot was so predictable and special effects, however revolutionary, can't save a movie. I thought District 9 was a much better Sci-fi movie with a better plot and was alot more exciting.

I can't really believe that Avatar is being considered one of the top movies of last year, but i guess when a film has the power to make people depressed because their own lives aren't as good as the "Na'vi" I guess anythings possible.

Anyways does anyone else think that Avatar is overrated?

37 Completions
24 Retail-Latest: Toy Story 3/Proudest: Rock Band 2
13 Arcade-Latest: UNO Rush/Proudest UMK3
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 AM   #2
Gorilla Stomper
The Shitlord King

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty-Rex View Post
Yeah you're right anime is stupid and for dudes with tiny dicks.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:48 AM   #3
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Overrated depends on your view of the film. If you think it was meh but everyone else thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread then yeah, it's overrated to you. Same exact thing with the term underrated.

As far as I'm concerned though, yeah it's overrated. I enjoyed the film immensely- it is probably the first film (that I've seen) that deserves to be called epic since LotR, but I can't rate it as high as everyone else seems to. The saw-it-coming ending for example is just one of a few things that take away from the movie.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
A ZombieTwinkie

A ZombieTwinkie's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
The visuals were freekin' amazing.

The story? Yea, it was fairly predictable. It was like Pocahontas mixed with Mech-Warrior and the Elves from WoW.

And yes, I'd say it was slightly over-rated. I didn't enjoy it as much as everyone I know did.

*Props to G A C K T for the awesome sig*

Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
I didn't think it was over-rated at all.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
ezekiel 08

ezekiel 08's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I didn't read into any hype for this movie. I didn't want to know the story before I saw it. Movies are always better if you find out everything they have to offer first hand. Otherwise you will base what you see on other people's opinions. Who would want their judgement of something based on other peoples thoughts?

I loved the movie and yes, it was meant to make you want to be one of those Blue people (can't remember their name). The fact that it achieved that goal is a massive achievement. What other movies have you felt (even a little bit) jealous of a different culture? Not many I would assume, if any.

Completed Games [125] | Gamerscore Completion Rate [90.74%]

* retired gamerscore whore *
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
IMO the story was weak, and it dragged on way too long. However, the visuals were incredible and the acting was solid. Also, (IMO) it is overrated in the sense that it doesn't belong in the Best Picture category.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #8
captain host

secoyaaa's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Stomper View Post
I love how people on this site alway have a clip or a picture to answer make me laught everytime
Old 03-06-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
CHPwannabe

dvidluvzsteph's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBlueSpade2xX View Post
IMO the story was weak, and it dragged on way too long. However, the visuals were incredible and the acting was solid. Also, (IMO) it is overrated in the sense that it doesn't belong in the Best Picture category.
Part of it is a rip-off of FernGully, but i dont see it as being overrated. It is an amazing movie and deserves to be nominated but district 9 deserves to win.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
specVjavi

JAVii AiR's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   SOTF Runner Up   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I went into this movie with pretty low expectations, not knowing what to really expect. I didnt read up on any reviews, and didnt read any synopsis of it or anything. But boy was i pleasantly surprised. So to me, no, the movie is not Overrated. It was an exceptionally well done movie, with amazing graphics and a pretty good, if slightly unoriginal plot. If it wins an award this Sunday, i think it would be well deserved.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
padraiglovesyou

Padraigx's Gamercard
Yeah I work in a cinema I used to tell people when they asked that it was pants just because I thought it was so overrated lol
Old 03-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
The Ultrafiend

Send a message via MSN to The Ultrafiend

The Ultrafiend's Gamercard
Somebody made a great post on an Avatar thread a little while ago that compared the story to Pocahontas with hysterically similar results.

Definitely overrated. Spectacular fireworks show and all that but that's all it was to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
Stop whining about a little boy dying and just play the game. If you were actually good at it you would not die.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
master_shake_350

Send a message via MSN to master_shake_350 Send a message via Skype™ to master_shake_350

a box of fish's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Yes I agree, it was overated. I feel asleep watching it, the story was boring but the 3D was pretty cool!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #14
CunningFox

z ShockWave x's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBubbles x360a View Post
Does anyone else think that the film Avatar is overrated. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie and thought it was entertaining as hell but the plot was so predictable and special effects, however revolutionary, can't save a movie. I thought District 9 was a much better Sci-fi movie with a better plot and was alot more exciting.

I can't really believe that Avatar is being considered one of the top movies of last year, but i guess when a film has the power to make people depressed because their own lives aren't as good as the "Na'vi" I guess anythings possible.

Anyways does anyone else think that Avatar is overrated?
Well, I definitely agree that District 9 was a much better movie!
Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
laundryman

Send a message via AIM to laundryman

a laundryman's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth
I had pretty high expectations going in thinking that it was nothing special, but I enjoyed every bit of it. I don't think it was overrated at all.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
iNf3Rn0 Lan

iNf3Rn0 Lan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
I liked it, but it was far too politically correct. They made the humans stupidly idiotic and made you want to be one of the Na'vi. Well, I personally would like to stay human... plus, nations (aka the Na'vi in this case) that are so pro-peace don't prosper in reality. They could have at least tried to compromise.

Whatever, at least the action and stuff was good.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Daiphyer.

Send a message via Skype™ to Daiphyer.

M2JH's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Damn overrated. Pretty visuals don't save a weak and predictable plot. It was not exciting at all!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
i m redshark

Send a message via AIM to i m redshark

I3oatsNHose's Gamercard
I personally have not seen this movie, but I have no urge to. Based on what I saw in the previews, it just doesn't seem like it would appeal to me. Maybe one day I'll take the time to watch it, but for now I'm fine without

My Proudest Achievements
Mile High Club
Star 69
Key to the City
Marathon
Old 03-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #19
Starstrukk X360A

Nerdcrest's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
It was amazing CGI wise, but I just couldn't get into the story.

Follow me on the internet:

Old 03-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #20
tubenator

Send a message via Skype™ to tubenator

tubenator's Gamercard
+1, I thought that the whole movie was too hyped, I didn't like it at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #21
shilbo-assassin

the Bunk 187's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Most over rated film in years!

Ripped off a ton of films (Pocahontas, Ferngully, The Matrix, Dances with Wolves), loads of cheesy lines and nothing to remember as such. I didn't mind it but definitely over-rated!

8000G Pro Evo
Old 03-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #22
X3NOTIME

X3NOTIME's Gamercard
i think if the dudes weren't blue id like it but since they are blue i just think its gay
Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 AM   #23
HacksawDoomx187

HacksawDoomx187's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
The acting is fair at best. The story supposedly took over a decade to write yet it is a rip off of Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves (I don't remember Ferngully but apparently that as well). The visuals are pretty damn good and are the only thing that sperate it from being a generic sci-fi action film. Over-rated in relation to the hype without a doubt. The academy giving this film a Best Picture nod is a complete fucking joke.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #24
Sir Pengin

Sir Pengin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBlueSpade2xX View Post
This. It just wasn't that good, but once someone hits the mainstream most people will think what is released is good.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #25
PerpetualHeaven

Send a message via MSN to PerpetualHeaven

Perpalicious's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Gold   x360a Book Club   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Achievement Guide - Gold   A+ Thread Award   Word of Mouth   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
lol @ people complaining about the unoriginal plot. Has anyone ever took the time to study literature? No? Oh, well, let me tell you something! ALL STORIES ARE BORROWED! There is very few original stories anymore. Every single book you read, movie you watch, video game you play, is all borrowed information and references to original works from hundreds of years ago. That's a part of being an author. If I were to write a book, or anyone for that matter, I would write a successful book by borrowing ideas from things I read. I may do it unconsciously, but if you read a damn book and you're going to write a screenplay, script, or book, then you're borrowing ideas indirectly. That's how the cookie crumbles. You can make hundreds of references from many successful pieces that date back to other things. You know Pocahontas existed long before the Disney movie, right? Disney is notorious for borrowing classic folk and fairy tales. Go check out all their movies and it dates back to hundreds or thousands of years ago. A lot of folk and fairy tales existed in oral tradition.

As for Avatar being overrated: No, I don't think so. I think it's the cool thing now to call every overrated and overhyped. The movie is a quality movie. I'm glad I got to see it because not that many good movies come out anymore.
Achievement Completion %: 97.04
Gamerscore: 68,482

"Don't hate, perpetuate!"

Last edited by PerpetualHeaven; 03-08-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #26
Deadly Moves
Banned User

Deadly Moves's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Way over-rated IMO.. the only award it possibly deserves is special effects, nothing else
Old 03-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #27
ZundayXx

ZundayXx's Gamercard

Did anyone else notice the other movies that came out this year??
Appart from District 9 i can only say one thing:

CRAP

''All warfare is based on deception.'' - Sun Tzu
Old 03-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #28
Purge

Send a message via AIM to Purge Send a message via MSN to Purge Send a message via Skype™ to Purge

Davy Allan's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Green Thumb - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Submit - Silver   SOTF Runner Up   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Donator - Level 1   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 11 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualHeaven View Post
lol @ people complaining about the unoriginal plot. Has anyone ever took the time to study literature? No? Oh, well, let me tell you something! ALL STORIES ARE BORROWED! There is very few original stories anymore. Every single book you read, movie you watch, video game you play, is all borrowed information and references to original works from hundreds of years ago. That's a part of being an author. If I were to write a book, or anyone for that matter, I would write a successful book by borrowing ideas from things I read. I may do it unconsciously, but if you read a damn book and you're going to write a screenplay, script, or book, then you're borrowing ideas indirectly. That's how the cookie crumbles. You can make hundreds of references from many successful pieces that date back to other things. You know Pocahontas existed long before the Disney movie, right? Disney is notorious for borrowing classic folk and fairy tales. Go check out all their movies and it dates back to hundreds or thousands of years ago. A lot of folk and fairy tales existed in oral tradition.

As for Avatar being overrated: No, I don't think so. I think it's the cool thing now to call every overrated and overhyped. The movie is a quality movie. I'm glad I got to see it because not that many good movies come out anymore.
Praise the wolfpack! That was a very good post, fearless leader.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #29
iBlessing 09
Banned User

Rare Name's Gamercard

Last edited by iBlessing 09; 03-08-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
CodSteaks

SG CodSteaks's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
i don't know if i would call it overrated. i'm definitely not surprised it was nominated for best picture, for the same reason i'm not surprised movies like forrest gump or titanic have won in the past, that's just the way the academy works. i walked out of the theatre after seeing avatar and after seeing district 9 thinking they were awesome. i can say they were awesome for different reasons. district 9 is a fantastic, character driven story that happens to be a sci-fi flick. avatar is shallow and predictable, but it still amazed me. the story wasn't bad enough to detract too much from the overall experience, in my opinion.
i don't know much detail about the technical side of the film, but i had heard that james cameron actually developed some new techniques or technology for avatar. that alone is worthy of recognition, at least for the fact that it elevated film making to a new level technically, regardless of how thin the script may have been. even movies like lord of the rings and district 9, no matter how focused on detail and how skilled the craftsmanship, still used existing film making techniques, they just used them better than most.
i was actually pleasantly surprised that district 9 was nominated for best picture, though. i do think that was a much better movie and it would have gotten my vote for best picture, but i didn't see all the nominated movies.
now who thinks the hurt locker actually WAS the best picture of '09?