PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Final Fantasy XIII
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
mrfunkyjunkie

mrfunkyjunkie's Gamercard
Hecatoncheir - Vanille Eidolon Battle Tips

ok, let me start by saying the Eidolon battles can be quite tricky if you dont employ the right tactics from the beginning of the battle.

this boss is the most frustrating you wouldve encountered so far, to say the least. this is mainly due to the fact he has the ability to deal a large amount of damage to both party members at once with his quake variation attack.

if your reading this, your are most likely aware of the attacks this Eidolon will lay down, so ill get straight into the tips.

level recommendations
  • make sure Vanille's level for the medic role is at least 3 (this will provide her with 4 ATB gauge slots) - having the ability to cast 4x cure / 2x cura will save your bacon
  • where possible boost Fangs Sentinel role with HP+, to ensure she can endure the beating that will be coming her way without being staggered or easily killed
  • configure your paradigms to compliment the roles that will boost the gauge quickly (go's without saying, but i said it anyways)

recommend configs

Vanille: SAB | Fang: SAB
Vanille: SAB | Fang: SEN
Vanille: RAV | Fang: COM
Vanille: MED | Fang: SEN
Vanille: MED | Fang: COM

recommended strategy

start off by pumping out at least 2 rounds of SAB | SAB followed by a quick change up into MED | SEN to ensure Fang provokes the boss, and takes the majority of the hits for you whilst vanille maintains her health.

after the inital round of attack from your opponent, he will begin to charge up before performing his attack, take this time to heal to a suitable level, and drop 1 round of the RAV | COM paradigm to give the gauge a bit of a boost and then switch to the MED | SEN paradigm to stave off attacks against Vanille and support Fang by boosting health.

from here, its upto you to pick the best paradigm to suit your current situation with the MED | COM being a good option for conservative players if Fang has enough HP to survive long enough.

i have been advised, that if vanille is left as a SAB during the enemy attack phase of the battle, the Eidolon will focus on her sometimes regardless of whether or not Fang has provoked him, so it may be wise to only utilize a paradigm with this option while the boss is charging up.

other tips

if you find that you have no chance of beating this Eidolon at your current level, it may be worthwhile to head back through the tunnel to the bridge area and grind on the rust pudding. they provide approx 1400cp for each successful battle, and its quickly & easily defeated with a preemptive attack with a COM as party leader and RAV's as supporters.

From the rust puddle you can head back towards the Eidolon until you see a red blip appear on your map, this indicates the rust puddle has respawned and is ready to grind on.

closing statement

hopefully, these tips & strategies will help someone else, as i found alot of other walkthroughs or guides not really providing much supporting information as to where you should be at with your character development before attempting this battle.

1000 GTA4, Fable 2, DMC4, COD4, COD5, COD:MW2, NFS:PS, NFS:UC, Halo:CEA, Halo 3, MoH: Airborne

Last edited by mrfunkyjunkie; 03-17-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: grammar, CP grind enemy name.. general stuff
mrfunkyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
VinasErgoth

Send a message via MSN to VinasErgoth

VinasErgoth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Would suggest adding this to the Eidolon battle tips thread.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=214501
Old 03-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
mrfunkyjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinasErgoth View Post
Would suggest adding this to the Eidolon battle tips thread.
good idea, but unfortunately its not my thread to manage.

that said im quite happy for these tips to be merged, if the author of the stick'ied guide feels so inclined.

1000 GTA4, Fable 2, DMC4, COD4, COD5, COD:MW2, NFS:PS, NFS:UC, Halo:CEA, Halo 3, MoH: Airborne

Old 03-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
VinasErgoth

Send a message via MSN to VinasErgoth

VinasErgoth's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
All I meant was, it was probably best added to that thread instead of a new one being made. Still, it's a solid guide and strategy, and I wish it was available when I first came upto this point. Took me several tries to beat him.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
mrfunkyjunkie

i get that, i just didnt see the point in posting to a thread that would most likely get lost in the void of follow up posts making it harder for people to find.

but again, this strategy can be merged into the stick'ied thread if the author feels so inclined.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Customer

Customer Police's Gamercard
I thought this Eidolon fight was really easy although I was cutting it pretty close since I was using the 3 Paradigms the game set me up with.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
Kraderic
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfunkyjunkie View Post
but again, this strategy can be merged into the stick'ied thread if the author feels so inclined.
not a problem to me. your strategy's been merged in with the hecatoncheir section.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=214501
Kraderic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
Mega Mayo Man

Mega Mayo Man's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I had mad problems on this dude for hours so I went and grinded for about 14 hours (sad I know) but I would much rather suggest CP grinding and reaping then taking the chance of the Doom counter
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Natetendo83

Natetendo83's Gamercard
This fight is utter crap. I just tried using the tactics above and he smoked me in seconds. It's just so random, sometimes his attacks leave me plenty of time to heal and every so often one comes along and WHAM I'm dead before I can do anything
Natetendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
psxsquall

FFfan7777's Gamercard
sab/sen and med/sen are the only paradigms you'll need. Any of the Saboteur's ability boosts the bar a lot.