PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Fighting > Super Street Fighter IV
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #1
CutmanMike

Send a message via AIM to CutmanMike

cutmanmike's Gamercard
Worst Ultra?

What do you think, in your own humble opinion, is the most useless ultra?

I'm going with Akuma's Ultra 2. His first ultra can at least catch people falling from jumps, but you have to be VERRY precise with his second one. Sure it hurts a lot, and can be used after a teleport but it's soo hard to hit with. Here's the best example I have of how bad it is:

My friend is an Akuma player and he was using Ultra 2, and for shits and giggles I was Zangief. Anyway I try to grab him and miss, and he uses his ultra. His ultra MISSES completely because Zangief was doing his whole missing grab animation where he slouches over just a little, and then I hilariously use my ultra before he gets chance to recover from his.

Not only that though, but he looks like a retarded Tasmanian devil when he uses it, and ruins his character
Old 05-10-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Deadly Moves
Banned User

Deadly Moves's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Akuma's is pretty bad.. He looks like a retarded Tazmanian Devil. What was Capcom thinking? Its only useful if the enemy is airborne.

But Rose's is even worse. It has to be the worst Ultra/Super ive ever seen.

Guile's new ultra is better than his original, but still pretty bad compared to most.
Deadly Moves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
AcidGlowx81

acidglowx81's Gamercard
Fei Long and Cammy's counter Ultras!!! worst ultras EVER! who really uses them anyways?. so damn bad! why did they put them in..
Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Deadly Moves
Banned User

Deadly Moves's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGlowx81 View Post
Fei Long and Cammy's counter Ultras!!! worst ultras EVER! who really uses them anyways?. so damn bad! why did they put them in..
I admit there not great.. but i have caught a few people out with Cammy's Ultra II. And it does loads of damage.
The thing about the counter ultra's is it all about mind games. if your oponent knows you have it. they should be less likely to throw out pokes or do jump ins, bcos they can be countered so easily. Dhalsim can really strugle against a counter ultra. bcos even if his not in close range you counter one of his stretchy attacks at range, it'll still work
Deadly Moves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
UK Dennis

Hadouken x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Dhalsim's first ultra is still the worst in my opinion, it's incredibally weak. However out of the new one I'd say Akumas second ultra.

~Not Taking Tag Requests~

UK Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
BvH91

Velikan RED's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dennis View Post
Dhalsim's first ultra is still the worst in my opinion, it's incredibally weak.
Might I say that Dhalsims first ultra has amazing setup potential.

Anyways, I think Zangief's second ultra looks ridiculous. I also would like to point out that in my opinion Capcom went a bit wee-wee with all the tornado/whirlwind stuff. Every other character now has a whirlwindy ultra.
BvH91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
CutmanMike

Send a message via AIM to CutmanMike

cutmanmike's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Dennis View Post
Dhalsim's first ultra is still the worst in my opinion, it's incredibally weak. However out of the new one I'd say Akumas second ultra.
It's weak but the amount of times he's teleported behind me and screwed me up royally
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
Shipley0110

Shipley0110's Gamercard
I don't understand what is supposed to happen with Juri's first ultra. The Feng Shui one. Is it meant to do Sweet FA?

M Bison's ( or Vega for those in Japan) one where he plants his fist in their chest looks pretty cool.

1000GS or More: 19 Games inc COD 2, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, Resident Evil 5, Halo: Reach (Original 1400)

200GS or More Arcade: Dash of Destruction & Hazard

Currently Playing: COD:MW3, Skyrim, Gears of War 3, Halo: Reach, Halo: CE Anniversary, Gotham City Imposters.

Looking Forward to: Halo 4, Mass Effect 3, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Any and all Skyrim DLC.
Shipley0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
I don't like the reversal ultras in the sense the opponent is gonna have to be either really stupid to hit you after you activate it, OR your timing has to be insane. I do love both animations: I love how Fei Long pays tribute to the legendary 1 inch punch. :love:

Other than that it'll have to be Akuma 2. I agree with my Dutch speaking brother up here that Zangief 2 looks kinda stupid.

And all non-believers in the devestating potential of Dhalsim's ultras: I'll be more than happy to take u on :evil:

@ Shipley: it makes her combos link together without having to pause. So every combo she does after the Feng Shui Engine activation is basically a target combo.

Dennoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
FeLizP
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to FeLizP Send a message via Yahoo to FeLizP Send a message via Skype™ to FeLizP

FeLizP's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
All this hate over Akuma's Demon Armageddon!

I don't think it's too bad of an Ultra if you Teleport into it.

Just do Forward,Down,Forward PPP and at any time during the Teleport press Up, Up, KKK. May catch a few people off guard especially if they are attacking.
FeLizP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Crimson Death

I understand the concept behind Juri's Feng Shui Combo, but I must suck at combo's because I don't pull off anything different.

Only thing I get is a guaranteed flashy finish lol.

Thanks Gackt.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #12
BvH91

Velikan RED's Gamercard
It turns Juri into a Marvel vs Capcom character. I didn't steal this line from that xbox inside guy. At all.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #13
Crimson Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by BvH91 View Post
It turns Juri into a Marvel vs Capcom character. I didn't steal this line from that xbox inside guy. At all.
Yeah, I've heard that a few times, but still don't get it lol.

Thanks Gackt.
Crimson Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #14
BvH91

Velikan RED's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
I guess you have to have played MvC. It's somewhat chaotic and the combos are easier to pull off. I'm pretty sure that's what is meant by it.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
McGraw

Jayjay McGraw's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Death View Post
If you go an try her trial nr 19 you can see what its for, you dont need to "clear" the 19th if thats a problem, its just a great way of getting a feel of what insane power that ulti acctually has.
(That trial is pretty much actiave ulti -> press the right order not caring about timing due to the ulti making you "fast" ).

To the topic though:
Worst Ultra gotta be the CQC imo, seeing as you either gotta be superfast or play vs someone not paying to much attention and then the other ultra would've worked as well
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
mad4ra

mad4ra's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Moves View Post
Akuma's is pretty bad.. He looks like a retarded Tazmanian Devil. What was Capcom thinking? Its only useful if the enemy is airborne.

Guile's new ultra is better than his original, but still pretty bad compared to most.
Gouki's Ultra2 is actually really good, because he can Combo into it from st.hp xx teleport xx ultra2

so for hit confirming cr.lk cr.lp st.hp xx teleport xx Ultra2 .. needs a little practice though :9

Rose's new Ultra is really good, this one probably makes her a high tier Character...

Cant say much about Guile, hes alot better in SSFIV regardless of the Ultra Combos..

The Worst Ultra is imho Boxers new Ultra, seriously why use a Command Grab Ultra when you can combo into Ultra 1 all the Time...
mad4ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #17
neubourn

neubourn's Gamercard
Worst Ultra to actually land: Dhalisim's 2nd...not only do you have to be in the air, you have to be in a precise range to be able to pull it off.

Worst Ultra damage-wise: Rose's 2nd...completely worthless, i guess they tossed it in to make up for her ridiculous first ultra

Worst Ultra to watch: Chun-li's 2nd...yeah it does alot of damage, but it just keeps going on forever and ever and is just a single sphere of boring.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #18
optics

Makoto, I don't remember which one or maybe both, but I found her Ultras to be really weak.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 AM   #19
KingSigy

Send a message via AIM to KingSigy Send a message via MSN to KingSigy Send a message via Yahoo to KingSigy Send a message via Skype™ to KingSigy

KingSigy's Gamercard
I love how no one has mentioned Seth's second Ultra, one that has ridiculous start-up time and shoots at an angle, meaning that unless you catch your opponent in the air, there is no use for it. I suppose chip-damage, but even then they can back away before Seth hits the ground.

KingSigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 AM   #20
Skode

Skode's Gamercard
The counter attack ultras... just when you need something to sneak you that win you activate it... and... your opponent simply grabs you straight after doing it and seals the win
Skode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #21
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSigy View Post
I love how no one has mentioned Seth's second Ultra, one that has ridiculous start-up time and shoots at an angle, meaning that unless you catch your opponent in the air, there is no use for it. I suppose chip-damage, but even then they can back away before Seth hits the ground.
Yep lol, even CPU Seth sucks at using it. He pretty much always lands his ultra 1 on me, but I'm always jumping for joy when he has ultra II selected. He ALWAYS whiffs it, ALWAYS.

Dennoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #22
neubourn

neubourn's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSigy View Post
I think if you are standing near him, it will also catch you, i seem to remember getting blasted by it on the ground in arcade mode a few times.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #23
Didi Mau

Send a message via MSN to Didi Mau

CuriousJewbeard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Gold   1,000 Posts
There's several throw-type ultras that can be evaded simply by holding up AFTER the cinematic begins (Ibuki's first, Guy's second) which to me makes them even less of a punish ultra than Fei's and Cammy's terrible counter ultras, which can at least hit aerials.

From what I've seen so far Rose's new ultra lands quite easily and her first one is a rather solid anti air, they're not half bad. I've always considered Dhalsim's first to be one of the best ultras in the game thanks to its massive range of uses, really surprised to see that got mentioned in here.
Didi Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubourn View Post
I think if you are standing near him, it will also catch you, i seem to remember getting blasted by it on the ground in arcade mode a few times.
Yeah, if you're close enough, it'll suck you in, but if you're blocking about little bit outside sweeping distance, it'll push you back.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #25
SUBJECT BK201

SUBJECT BK201's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Moves View Post

If you think those are the worst ultras, then you are not using those characters correctly.

Akumas new ultra is comboable (though very precise execution is necessary eg: d+fp, ashura senku w/3K>Ultra II) and Rose's new ultra is one of my new favourites for the simple fact that it freezes time. That allows it to be used in a silly amount of ways eg: Soul Throw crossups, anti-air, tacking on extra damage after Aura soul slew in the corner, post FA combos or post jump in fp.
The damage can also be slightly increased on the first orb if you can absorb enough projectiles. Its a hugely useful defensive/offensive tool when used correctly.

Try seeing what some attacks are good for before you write them off like that, because a raging demon is useless against a player that does not commit to an attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neubourn View Post
Worst Ultra to actually land: Dhalisim's 2nd...not only do you have to be in the air, you have to be in a precise range to be able to pull it off.

Worst Ultra damage-wise: Rose's 2nd...completely worthless, i guess they tossed it in to make up for her ridiculous first ultra.
Yoga Shangri-la isnt actually that hard to land, if you go looking for it in an offensive sense then yes, you will fail a majority of the time but couple it with empty-jumping/low floor teleporting against projectile throwers and you have a bargaining tool that means your opponent cannot chase you down and/or abuse projectiles for fear of being telegraphed. You'd be suprised at how much people slow down when they realise their options.

As for Soul Satellite, its roughly the equivalent of landing 2 hard punches on a counter hit (roughly 120 dmg per orb), if her ultra did regular damage like most standard damage ratings then her Ultra-II would be God-Tier checkmate business.
Imagine getting caught in the corner by a L3 FA for her to dash-in, Ultra-II, df+mk slide, d+fp>soul reflect w/fp, Soul Throw. As that stands thats around 42% damage.. and not a lot of "hits" either, so if she did equal damage to most peoples ultras, that combo would do close to 65%-70% easy with hardly ANY damage scaling because the combo count is low.

I like how they thought about the ultra's this time around, because you can't use the same one vs everybody, it just doesnt work that way. Try beating a solid Dhalsim with Cody's Ultra-I and you will call it bullshit, switch to Ultra-II while keeping certain things in mind and the match goes MUCH more smoothly when you can prevent Dhalsim from running away from you.

Strategy is key friend

PLEASE NOTE THAT IF I GET A RANDOM FR WITHOUT A MESSAGE, I'll DECLINE IT.

Last edited by SUBJECT BK201; 05-13-2010 at 02:30 AM. Reason: quote.
SUBJECT BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #26
TheGlow

I like how people are bad mouthing the ultras a lot of the hardkore players are claiming are great.
Namely Rose and Seths 2nd ultras.
research stuff before you bad mouth it.
yes Akumas u2 has some awkward hit properties but it can be comboed into like earlier or just teleport through a fireball and kick em in the mouth
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:50 PM   #27
iBeatStuffUp

iBeatStuffUp's Gamercard
In all honesty, I think Akuma's second ultra is infinitely better than his first. But then again, that's just me.

100% Arcade: 47
Most Recent: NFL Blitz

iBeatStuffUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:11 PM   #28
Zee

Zee pso's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The worst has to be the counter ultras. I was looking forward to having a much better ultra for Fei Long , as his first can actually knock people out of the ultra, allowing them to block or hit you after he first punch. I was really pissed off once I used it for the first time.

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:16 AM   #29
Perrsun

Perrsun's Gamercard
Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 AM   #30
Kaiyo

KaiyoOrganiz000's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Gotta be Fei Long's 2nd Ultra.
Kaiyo is offline   Reply With Quote