PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Fighting > Super Street Fighter IV
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
The General Trials Question Thread!

All righty then.

Seeing how a fair few people on the forum have already completed all the character trials (including me ), I think it would be nice if we could assemble a kind of "expert" () panel on the subject to provide anyone that has questions on it with advice.

It should also help to keep the forum somewhat nice and tidy for more important/essential threads to be easily picked up, so that's a plus too!

Ask away I'd say and we'll see if we can be of assistance.

For help on the new trials, please refer to this YouTube channel before asking.
http://www.youtube.com/user/0xkeNzo#...2CD953336570AC

Dennoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #2
Tripbar

Send a message via AIM to Tripbar
VesperArcade has better YouTube videos, due to an smaller screen on the bottom that actually shows what the hands are doing. (That is if you use a stick to play)
Tripbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Didi Mau

Send a message via MSN to Didi Mau

CuriousJewbeard's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Gold   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
As terrible as I am against actual human opponents because I have all the strategic skills of a goldfish, I seldom miss links and tend to be quite good at explaining how to do combos I've done all of old SF4's trials on both standard pad (twice) and fightstick (8-90 times depending on the character), and have done all of Super's on stick and half on pad (I don't really use it anymore now I have a stick!), so hopefully I can be of some assistance for all types of players.

My pad advice will typically include switching some button functions around, I take no shame in saying my pad skills are quite ghetto compared to a stick haha.
Didi Mau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
McGraw

Jayjay McGraw's Gamercard
El Fuerte nr 18, how do i connect the HK again? I remember having insane trouble on SFIV with that one too
McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
Alright well, I have two questions. I did most of SF4 trials, which will hopefully be fully finished in the near future, and am now working on super's trials. I use my fightstick for combo's, but also use my analog stick once in a while as well. I also will move any buttons or use the tubo function as need be. So here are my questions :

1. FADC into normal links - there were almost none of these in the original sf4, and I have a terrible time trying to link them for the majority of the characters. Any tips?

And my character specific question for now -

2. Juri Trial 24 - I did all the other trials for her fairly quickly, but do not understand how to do this one. The light fireball never seems to release after the medium kick. Thanks a lot for any help or tips.

Last edited by ShinobiRain; 05-13-2010 at 08:03 PM.
ShinobiRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
McGraw

I suppose you ARE "saving" the fireballs? Cant remember if you had to do it earlier then nr 24, but if you are, just release LK same time as you c.MK and it releases..
Im struggling abit with that one to but more with the FADC

Juri's trials were REALLY good, I got a hang of many other chars after doing hers.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #7
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
You had to do it earlier, but never two at a time. And for the FADC can you just do a focus attack instead, like you had to do in trial 23?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
McGraw

I got 21/24 left, cant do em atm, having insane trouble in 24 to land the c.HP after the FADC (even if i let it hit) dunno really :P Ill blame my analog 360 pad for now and continue later

Did you manage the 24th with saving 2 different ones? My pinky is soar from saving the l. fireball :P
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
No see thats the issue. I can't get the low one to come out. I must be saving it wrong or something. Im either making a mistake saving it, or I am linking it horribly wrong. I don't know.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
McGraw

Hmm, I link it doing the same thing as with the medium one..
This is how I do it(Until I fail:P):
Save m.fireball/l.fireball and keep those buttons in obviously.
j.HK xx c.HP(same time release MK) xx c.MK (sametime release LK) xx FADC and this is where I cant connect the c.HP.

Might help, dunno, works for me until the c.HP anyway.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
TheMaster328

TheMaster328's Gamercard
With Juri's #24 hit Dan with a perfectly timed Level 2 Focus Attack so he crumples. Then dash in and mop up the combo! Hope I helped!
TheMaster328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 PM   #12
knightdedede

Dedemaru's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm having trouble with Cody's 20th trial. He's my main, so I'd like to finish his trials.

Also, Guile's 15th. It's L Flash Kick into Flash Explosion. Flash Explosion is that weird triangle with the down back charge so idk how to get it.
knightdedede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 AM   #13
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
There's really no trick to cody's trial 20. You just jump in with the heavy kick, and do a standing heavy punch canceled into ruffian kick which then you cancel quickly with the super. If your having trouble doing any of the cancels, then just do those two moves together, for instance punch into ruffian kick, or ruffian kick into super. The trick is just putting it together so they all cancel quickly enough to get the combo.

And as a side note, the super doesn't come out after dan has fallen, it comes out when he is still rising from the ruffian kick.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #14
Didi Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiRain View Post

1. FADC into normal links - there were almost none of these in the original sf4, and I have a terrible time trying to link them for the majority of the characters. Any tips?

And my character specific question for now -

2. Juri Trial 24 - I did all the other trials for her fairly quickly, but do not understand how to do this one. The light fireball never seems to release after the medium kick. Thanks a lot for any help or tips.
For FADC's into normal links (assuming we're thinking the same thing ), the particular combo I practiced with was Abel's c.mp, light change of direction (first hit only), FADC towards the opponent, c.mp, light change of direction looped. Using infinite super meter in training mode start off trying for two reps of it, then see how big a combo you can rack up (15+ hits should be more than good enough to help with other characters). I don't know whether or not this combo has more room for error frame-wise compared to other FADC links, but it certainly feels looser and thus easier to me.

For Juri's #24 (using your fightstick): first off, practice the light fuhajin, FA crumple part of the combo because that's probably the hardest part and it would suck to mess up there (hopefully you have the crumple timing down from the previous trial). Then with index and middle charging your projectiles, use your ring finger to do the j.hk and c.hp. For combo'ing into fuhajins, release the button with the same timing you would normally *press* the button in the later c.hp, ex senpusha combo (is that clear? haha). There's a noticable delay between the medium fuhajin and the c.mk so treat it like a link, and again release the index finger with the same timing used earlier on the middle (it's almost like a pull-off in Guitar Hero, if you play that series). The hardest part I find is keeping the index finger held down for the first half, I would originally release at the same time my middle finger lifted when I was starting out with Juri.

For pad users this would probably be a pretty weird combo to perform, I recommend the button config of RT being KKK and RB being heavy punch. Then using your thumb and index slightly curled to charge A and B, you can use your middle finger to hit RT for both the j.hk and the ex senpusha, and RB for the c.hp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdedede View Post
I'm having trouble with Cody's 20th trial. He's my main, so I'd like to finish his trials.

Also, Guile's 15th. It's L Flash Kick into Flash Explosion. Flash Explosion is that weird triangle with the down back charge so idk how to get it.
If you've got Cody's #15 done, you can definitely do #20. The heavy ruffian into super is a cancel rather than a juggle, it activates at the moment the ruffian hits and Dan is barely off the ground- your left hand won't be moving nearly as fast as when performing criminal upper into super (which was in #15), so you shouldn't find it too hard. Bare in mind HK ruffian already buffers one of the super's quarter circle forward, so the input is QCF+HK, QCF+HK.

Guile's #15 is just a matter of starting the charge for flash explosion as soon as you've pressed the light kick button. Choose whichever motion you're more comfortable with returning to a down-back charge from (flashkick can be inputted with up-back, up, or up-forward) and use the flash kick to hit Dan when he's at the height of his jump. This will give you enough time to charge the explosion (the input is down-back, down-forward, down-back, up-forward) and juggle him before he lands- if an ex flash kick is coming out instead and you know you did the right input for ultra, it means you didn't charge for long enough, either at the start of the combo or at the end of it (he catches Dan quite low, roughly where Guile's head is when standing). It's worth noting that you need to be pretty near to Dan when doing the light flash kick to combo this mid-screen, so using a corner might be easier for you.

Hope that helps a little guys, I know I have a habit of writing too much haha.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
McGraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi Mau View Post
For Juri's #24 (using your fightstick): first off, practice the light fuhajin, FA crumple part of the combo because that's probably the hardest part and it would suck to mess up there (hopefully you have the crumple timing down from the previous trial). Then with index and middle charging your projectiles, use your ring finger to do the j.hk and c.hp. For combo'ing into fuhajins, release the button with the same timing you would normally *press* the button in the later c.hp, ex senpusha combo (is that clear? haha). There's a noticable delay between the medium fuhajin and the c.mk so treat it like a link, and again release the index finger with the same timing used earlier on the middle (it's almost like a pull-off in Guitar Hero, if you play that series). The hardest part I find is keeping the index finger held down for the first half, I would originally release at the same time my middle finger lifted when I was starting out with Juri.

For pad users this would probably be a pretty weird combo to perform, I recommend the button config of RT being KKK and RB being heavy punch. Then using your thumb and index slightly curled to charge A and B, you can use your middle finger to hit RT for both the j.hk and the ex senpusha, and RB for the c.hp.
The 360pad is bad for the trial 24 no doubt, But with the level2 FA It should make it easier, cheers alot for that
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
BuySomethingWillYa

QuitBabblin's Gamercard
Question

Can anyone give any general tips on how to do the trials where you have to do a focus attack and then follow through with the character's Super or Ultra... I can't do it with ANY character... including T-Hawk, Hakan, and any of the "easy" character trials.

I don't have the money to buy a nice arcade stick at the moment.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
Dennoman

dennoman's Gamercard
I think the best tip is to not want to go for the ultra/super motion too early. The motion has to finish right when the dash after the FA is completed.

What exactly is the problem? Does the move not it, or doesn't it even come out?

Dennoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #18
Didi Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGraw View Post
El Fuerte nr 18, how do i connect the HK again? I remember having insane trouble on SFIV with that one too
Sorry I missed your post mate, not sure how I managed that haha. I had to look this up to wonder what was hard about it, but trying to get it right consistently I noticed what you mean.

As far as I can tell, the reason the knee will occasionally whiff is due to the height the j.hp hit from- and from playing around with the depths I think there's four (possibly five) different heights it can hit from: very high (early input, connects with dan's hair/forehead), very low (latest possible input, Fuerte's elbow is in Dan's crotch), and then some degree of "high medium"/medium/"low medium" (which are slightly visually distinguishable when hit, but I can't do it in words I'm afraid). Very high will always cause a block, very low will always cause a whiff- I know "high medium" won't combo, but I can't tell which one is the sweet spot between the final two (or if there are a final two, I may just be fucking up timing or accidentally going into the very low range). What I would recommend is to aim purposely low, but not so excessively that you reach very low's range (which is honestly tricky to hit anyway, so it shouldn't happen too often)- most times I mess up is when I accidentally input at "high medium", so it wouldn't hurt to aim low.

HERE's a link to a video of the combo, because it's really hard to describe. Maybe someone else can be of more help on this one, when playing I can tell whether or not the s.hk will connect before I even press it due to Dan's hit animation but that's not helpful when I can't describe how I do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuySomethingWillYa View Post
Can anyone give any general tips on how to do the trials where you have to do a focus attack and then follow through with the character's Super or Ultra... I can't do it with ANY character... including T-Hawk, Hakan, and any of the "easy" character trials.

I don't have the money to buy a nice arcade stick at the moment.
You may well be surprised just how early you can input a dash out of a focus attack; a dash can be entered at any point after releasing the mp+mk buttons, this includes BEFORE the focus actually connects with the opponent (though naturally, if you do this and the focus doesn't connect, you won't get a dash afterwards). Try it out for yourself a couple times without touching a thing after the dash input to see just how lenient the input time is, and then you'll notice you have five years of time to input the actual move you want Abusing this early dash input essentially makes moves that follow a crumple as easy to do as they are performing them as a standalone move. Here's two examples you can work on:

T.Hawk- charge a level 2 focus and the second you let go of the buttons, press forward twice (do this before T. Hawk headbutts the opponent if you can, it's not incredibly important but the sooner you do it the longer you have for the rest). Now spin the stick like a madman, all the way through the focus hit's duration- T. Hawk will still remember the dash input and dash out of the hit, so hit PPP to perform his ultra!

Ryu- charge a level 2 focus and the second you let go of the buttons, press forward twice (do this before Ryu punches the opponent if you can, though again it's not terribly necessary). Let the analogue go back to neutral (or don't, it really doesn't matter but I like to make sure it won't register shoryukens haha) and start inputting your two quarter circle forwards. During this time you'll see Ryu remember the previous input and dash forward, so just press PPP to ultra!
Old 05-14-2010, 07:29 PM   #19
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
Alright guys, thanks for the help with juri 24, I tried it both with controller and stick and finally got it with controller. Seemed easier to hold down the two kicks on the control. I never use my pinky and ring finger on the stick, making the beginning of that trial hell on stick, but I got it anyway so thanks. But since you were so helpful before, I have more questions .

Makoto 23 - I can get up to the super everytime, but afterwards the high punch always whiffs, even if I use turbo, even if I wait and try to time it, it just will not connect. Thoughts?

Makoto 24 - How should I be doing the hayate cancel. If I can get that down, I can finish Makoto off and almost have a full column of characters done

Old 05-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
TheMaster328

TheMaster328's Gamercard

1:58 into the video. Also with Makoto's #24 hold LP down before starting the combo. This should cancel the Hayate instantanously more often than not.

I've also almost finished that column! All I have to to is Ibuki's #24 and that column is done with!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
Didi Mau

An alternate method that I use for hayate cancels is pressing a kick button simultaneously with the hayate's punch, so for #24 it's HP, QCF+HP+HK, hold the buttons a moment, LP- I find I get it very consistently doing it that way, for some reason it was the ultra whiffing on me constantly that was the tough part in my case Trial 22 was kind to me, but it must have whiffed at least twenty times in #24 haha.

Not sure anything other than that can be delved into further with words, the combos are mostly simple inputs but with link timings, and that video covers them very nicely
Old 05-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #22
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
I have seen that video, but keep whiffing. I just wanted to know if that high punch has to be timed, or mashed out.

And for #24, did you mean hold low kick, as that is the cancel button?

Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
Didi Mau

Definitely don't quote me on this, but I believe the game engine doesn't allow mashing buttons outside of actual chain combos (which tanden renki, s.hp is not). I'm under the impression that when you press an input incorrectly, the engine penalises you by not allowing another input to be recognised for __ amount of frames- and again, I have no proof for this haha The reason I think it's like that is because even though if you're in training and switch it to show inputs, you can use turbo and it'll fill the show input screen like mad, but it still doesn't consistently hit link combos as simple as s.lp, s.mp (Makoto's #10) which just seems odd to me.

Anyway, that's why I would recommend trial and error rather than mashing- if it misses, you're going too slow, if it doesn't come out, you're doing it too fast

If anyone knows the game engine's take on this, please fill me in! I prefer to not talk out of my arse haha.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #24
TheMaster328

TheMaster328's Gamercard
For #23 - The high punch should be mashed (I think I mashed and it worked).
For #24 - Yes, hold low kick before you even start the combo.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
Thanks guys, I got both after trying for a while. Holding down low kick didn't work for me, as it would only cancel outside of a combo. Whenever I did it will attacking dan with high punch first, makoto still did the hayate. I used the HP then directly after high kick, and that worked well enough. Trial 23 took me much longer, as that high punch never wanted to connect properly. Just wanted to inform you guys that you were a big help, and I'll be on tomorrow no doubt with Ibuki questions. Oh, and TheMaster, I'm making it my goal to beat you in getting this achievement, since I need a little motivation .

Old 05-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #26
iBeatStuffUp

iBeatStuffUp's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didi Mau View Post
Definitely don't quote me on this, but I believe the game engine doesn't allow mashing buttons outside of actual chain combos (which tanden renki, s.hp is not). I'm under the impression that when you press an input incorrectly, the engine penalises you by not allowing another input to be recognised for __ amount of frames- and again, I have no proof for this haha The reason I think it's like that is because even though if you're in training and switch it to show inputs, you can use turbo and it'll fill the show input screen like mad, but it still doesn't consistently hit link combos as simple as s.lp, s.mp (Makoto's #10) which just seems odd to me.

Anyway, that's why I would recommend trial and error rather than mashing- if it misses, you're going too slow, if it doesn't come out, you're doing it too fast

If anyone knows the game engine's take on this, please fill me in! I prefer to not talk out of my arse haha.
I definitely know what you're talking about. You're most likely correct.

100% Arcade: 47
Most Recent: NFL Blitz

iBeatStuffUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #27
TheGlow

So far so good, only got about 7 left to go
Abels last, Ibukis last (I can do the kicks to ultra, just not with the lk, lp in front)
Umm, Sakuras weird ex shouken cancel to MK, need to see a vid or something on what to do there.
Fuertes stupid 23 I think wit the 1 frame links
And vipers last 3.
I despise viper.
its more like grinding for gear in a game. you keep doing it over n over and then one day pop, Success
TheGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #28
TheMaster328

TheMaster328's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiRain View Post
Oh, and TheMaster, I'm making it my goal to beat you in getting this achievement, since I need a little motivation .
OK, sure... I'm already 18 characters down, including Gen and Cammy (but with C. Viper I only have #23 and #24 left with her...). I only have 44 trials remaining in total!
Old 05-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #29
ShinobiRain

ShinobiRain's Gamercard
Well, I don't know you seem to be destroying me then. I usually start a character and try to finish them before all else. But now I have more questions.

I crushed Vega and Bison today in about 10 mins total, then decided to finish up the new characters. But then they dropped the hammer on me. I'm stuck on Cody 22-24, Ibuki 22-24 and Deejay 23. For most of them, I probably just have to work on it, but any useful tips would be awesome, especially for Ibuki. I'm not sure when I should start the ultra motion.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #30
Didi Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow View Post
So far so good, only got about 7 left to go
Abels last, Ibukis last (I can do the kicks to ultra, just not with the lk, lp in front)
Umm, Sakuras weird ex shouken cancel to MK, need to see a vid or something on what to do there.
Fuertes stupid 23 I think wit the 1 frame links
And vipers last 3.
I despise viper.
its more like grinding for gear in a game. you keep doing it over n over and then one day pop, Success
I already know you finished off SF4's trials before me mate, so I won't bother writing out a wall of text for Abel and Fuerte haha

Sakura's ex shouoken has several places where you can cancel it into an FADC: hits 1,3,4, and 5. The FADC into s.mk combos off both the fourth and fifth hits of the ex shouoken, so don't FADC until she reaches that part- that's all you need to know for that one really, you use the other links in her other trials so now it's just grinding away at it haha.

I can't remember if Viper's #22 is the exact same combo as it was in SF4, but a way to make it easier is to add a c.lp or a c.mp after the s.lk and then buffer the hjc ultra off of the crouching move- c.mp gives you more time for the buffer, but is a tighter link off of the s.lk so it's your pick which one is better.

I'm happy to say Viper's #23 and #24 has been "fixed" from SF4's version; as long as the ex seismo, high jump, burning kick hits it will register properly (whereas before you could do the full combo but have it not count, if you didn't high jump into burning kick at the exact correct time). This has made her trials MUCH easier than before, though the fierce feint fierce will still be annoying if you don't play her much.

Give a shout if you want more details but hell, you're a better player than me haha.