PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Alan Wake
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Kal_El
Banned User

Thumbs down Hold On People say this game sucks????? WHAT!!!!

I am sorry i just finished episode one and i am really loving this game! it's amazing! it's one of the most interesting stories....it really drew me in from the beginning! i was interested after watching the 6 episodes(the prequel) on xbl marketplace but this game is amazing! wow! i wish it had avatar awards(outside of LE) but this game is awesome! i know it's short but an amazing experience so far for me easily a 9-9.5

P.s I heard it didnt sell well...that's a shame i guess i hope every1 at least rents it!
Kal_El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:14 AM   #2
Hoborg
Banned User

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
That's right, sales are crap given the hype and the long development cycle. It's a shame because everyone bought Heavy Rain for the PS3. It's just a bad time to launch because of Red Dead.

I'd buy this game twice if I had the money.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Nero Mystyraa

Nero Mystyraa's Gamercard
I asked my friends their opinion on Alan Wake and they said they started to get bored of it around Episode 2 but it started picking up again in Episode 3. I felt the same way. I'm on episode 4 so far and it's a good game. It's not great...but it's good enough. The story is what's mostly keeping me playing.

And yeah bad timing coming out on the same day as Red Dead Redemption and Prince of Persia.

Btw i know it says i haven't played Alan Wake yet on my gamercard. I'm playing it at my friend's house on his Xbox on his account (mostly watching him play cause he's so addicted to playing it xD) When he's done with it he'll finally lend it to me so i can start playing it on my account xD
Nero Mystyraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Kal_El
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoborg View Post
That's right, sales are crap given the hype and the long development cycle. It's a shame because everyone bought Heavy Rain for the PS3. It's just a bad time to launch because of Red Dead.

I'd buy this game twice if I had the money.
yea i have read dead it's amazing but launching them around the same time wasnt a good idea! and i didnt wanna get heavy rain seemed meh i played the demo it was ok. i like gameplay....quick time events even if they are unique is boring!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
Evol Error

Limewax x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I rented RdR and IMO I thought it sucked on many levels..
Good thing I didnt go and buy it like i was planning on..
But Alan Wake is a great game.
I enjoy playing it.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Pearson

Biomedical Fire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I heard that Red Dead is like GTA but set in the Old West so I went over to my friends and watched him play for a few minutes and I thought that it was good. However, I like Alan Wake better and I bought Heavy Rain, but still like AW better. I agree with the media that says that Alan Wake is an early contender for Game of the Year.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #7
Siduakal77

Siduakal77's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Honestly, I expected this game to suck.

I put it on my GameFly Queue.. It sent out Monday, it sat there til Thursday night (My last night off work each week) when I finished Red Dead story.

Then I said "Ahh, screw it.. I'll play the game, probably get bored an hour or two in and send it back"

I played through Episodes 1-2 that night, then 3-4 when I woke up.. 5 after work Saturday morning, and 6 today when I got home from work.

I started raving to my friends about it after that first night. And now? I'm a huge fan. I'm opting to keep it from GameFly and pay for it, it's just such an amazing title. The story is absolutely incredible. The gameplay, if described, sounds a bit dumb.. But in practice it's stellar.

This is the best game I've played in a LONG time, and this story puts it in my top 10 games of all time for story. Yeah, it's that good to me. I'm excited to replay it on Nightmare, but that probably won't happen for a few weeks.. til I finish the first week of July batch of games. In that nice July-August stretch of no really good releases.

I'm excited for the DLC. I plan to hold onto this game and encourage friends to buy it, or at the very least rent it. It's short, which hurts its purchase. Most don't buy games they can beat in a rental.
Siduakal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Ozbaab

Ozbaab's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Didn't know Alan Wake sales were crappy. I liked the game ALOT. Everything about it I liked. Haven't ever been this hyped about a game AFTER I've cleared it three times in a row. That says alot!

I bought Red Dead Redemption this friday and that game to rocks, alot! They are completly different tho, can't compare em.

First in Sweden to 1k Alan Wake!

Ozbaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #9
Trikke

Trikke den 1e's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Am I the only one having troubles with Alan Wake's graphics and physics? Come on, this game feels so unreal!!

The graphics are good for objects you get to look at... from afar! But when you're close to them, it's just some flatlined crap! I know of older games that had more detailed objects.

When in the Diner (later in the game, at night), take out your pistol, and shoot through the window. Yep, that's right. Nothing. Probably shooting with blanks

I crash with my car at high speed against another car. The car I crashed into, didn't move a bit. None of the cars were damaged either. The headlights on my car were still working.
Or even better, drive at high speed against one of those thermoses. The thermos is still at the same spot.
Come on, please!!

Remedy has been working on it for what, 4 maybe 5 years? That game would have been great, if released 5 years ago. The engine used for this game is obsolete, full stop.

But, the story is good. Can be scary the first episode. But the next 5 are the same. You can tell when the Taken will show up. Dead Space was scarier!

Last edited by Trikke; 05-23-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Trikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 PM   #10
Ozbaab

Ozbaab's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
I agree that the driving section of the game isn't the most polished. Which isn't really a surprise as most games driving parts suck.

First in Sweden to 1k Alan Wake!

Ozbaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
The Carrot Cake Kid

A few hours in and I'm not too impressed with the graphics or the voice acting. For the production time and hype you would think they could at LEAST sync the lip movements with the voice work. Also the in-game advertising I've seen doesn't even blend well. It just seems so pasted-on and intrusive.
The Carrot Cake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #12
doughnut18

doughnut18's Gamercard
What amazes me is that given how quiet the game market is around this time of the year, as most devs are aiming for a pre-holiday, Q4 release, that what appears to be the 2 biggest games coming out, do so at nearly the exact same time. I know Red Dead was delayed a little but you'd have thought they might have perhaps had them 2 or 3 months apart, like Mass Effect 2 was held back to avoid MW2!! Boogles the mind really! Still loving Alan Wake just need to find time to finish it!!

doughnut18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #13
hestar

Hestar69's Gamercard
Alan wake was amazing how someone could think it isn't,is beyond me..Then again,People love racing games and I find them extremely boring.

hestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
oXI Chimera IXo

oXI Alarei IXo's Gamercard
I got bored of it, thought it was too long, story made no sense. Killing the same enemies over and over..always in a forest. Wasn't scary. Just wasn't what I thought it would be. Overall I thought it was boring and it was hard to finish. RdR IMO has a better story.
oXI Chimera IXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #15
N3xus Gam3r

Send a message via Skype™ to N3xus Gam3r

Noxington's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
^^ please dont compare 2 great different games, Alan Wake has one of the greatest game story so far for me
Old 05-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #16
oXI Chimera IXo

oXI Alarei IXo's Gamercard
Okay, this game was in development for 5 years. And the quality of work that was produced from the time was garbage. This was what a 2007 supposed release? Even then, the graphics are complete trash. Story just didn't do anything for me thought the dream of dream and stuff was so cliche. But It's whatever floats your boat I suppose. Personally, Mass Effect floats mine.
oXI Chimera IXo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Frost FI

5 years isn't a long time for a studio like Remedy, which has developers who come to work with bicycles instead of Porsches. Death Rally>Max Payne>Alan Wake, I wouldn't say the progress line is bad either. There are 25 developers in the studio, so you also should get the answer for why PS3/PC version was never released.

I've heard about this game for first time about 2 years ago. There haven't been enough hype and I was kind of amazed when I read the news and there was information that the game will be released in next week. Luckily I wasn't among those who were waiting this game for 5 years, then I understand your disappointment.

:edit: Had to add this:

Last edited by Frost FI; 05-23-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Frost FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #18
moontsuki

It doesnt suck, its just most people these days dont have the attention span for anything but run-n-gun FPS, sad I know!
moontsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #19
Nero Mystyraa

Nero Mystyraa's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost FI View Post

ROFL That's mean but so damn funny xD I would give them props if they produced a game like this under crappy situations like that lol
Nero Mystyraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #20
iKiddo

Send a message via MSN to iKiddo Send a message via Skype™ to iKiddo

xWalkingDisease's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost FI View Post
5 years isn't a long time for a studio like Remedy, which has developers who come to work with bicycles instead of Porsches. Death Rally>Max Payne>Alan Wake, I wouldn't say the progress line is bad either. There are 25 developers in the studio, so you also should get the answer for why PS3/PC version was never released.

I've heard about this game for first time about 2 years ago. There haven't been enough hype and I was kind of amazed when I read the news and there was information that the game will be released in next week. Luckily I wasn't among those who were waiting this game for 5 years, then I understand your disappointment.

Because MS said so. And most the studio was axed.

If You're 555 ...
Last.Fm|Twitter

iKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:39 PM   #21
ZOMBINOX

ZOMBINOX's Gamercard
One of my favorite games now. I already beat it on normal and I'm going back on Hard. I was going to play Nightmare mode right after hard to stack the achievs. but I am more than willing to play the campaign two more times. I didn't know the sales were bad, so people, GO BUY THIS GAME!

Broke 100K Gamerscore 3-24-13
Game: Gears of War Judgment
Achievement: Respect for the Fallen
Gamer Score: 20
Current Score: 100,006
Achieved Seriously 3.0 - 7-14-13
ZOMBINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
Supermatt400

SuperMattmasta's Gamercard
Honestly what do you think this game is worth- rental or a buy? And also I am wondering the difficulty of getting the full 1000
Supermatt400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:43 PM   #23
Sambuca Queen

Plug in Baby 85's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Its one of the best games Ive played, I even got my boyfriend hooked and he went and got his own special edition copy Sadly Im only on Episode 2 due to working overtime. It has atmopshere, good characters, eerie OST and tis a good story so far.

My plug in baby,
Crucifies my enemies
When I'm tired of giving.
My plug in baby,
In unbroken virgin realities
Is tired of living.
Sambuca Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #24
jules the great

Send a message via AIM to jules the great

OldSchoolJules's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_El View Post
yea i have read dead it's amazing but launching them around the same time wasnt a good idea! and i didnt wanna get heavy rain seemed meh i played the demo it was ok. i like gameplay....quick time events even if they are unique is boring!
Actually dont form an opinion on Heavy Rain until you play the actual game, i thought the same thing sort of from playing the demo. But when you get the whole story of Heavy Rain those scenes from the demo makes sense. HR is a story game.
On Topic...So far Alan Wake is awesome, im loving it. Im somewhere in teh middle of ep. 2. I can see ppl not liking it, but im not one of em!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #25
Frost FI

Alan Wake is now top 3 of highest rated games in Xbox Live. It cost me 20€, because I gave BFBC2 in return. Definitely worth the money. If you go for the points, it's not only fun but it's also pretty decent after all. I'm missing like 1 manuscript and 6 thermos that can cause me little headache, but I'm not a gamerscore whore. So this depends.
Frost FI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #26
iKiddo

Send a message via MSN to iKiddo Send a message via Skype™ to iKiddo

xWalkingDisease's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambuca Queen View Post
Its one of the best games Ive played, I even got my boyfriend hooked and he went and got his own special edition copy Sadly Im only on Episode 2 due to working overtime. It has atmopshere, good characters, eerie OST and tis a good story so far.
Go play Dead Space for good atmosphere. Awakes is bloody terrible sub par. The hud completely ruins it.

If You're 555 ...
Last.Fm|Twitter

iKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
Kal_El
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules the great View Post
Actually dont form an opinion on Heavy Rain until you play the actual game, i thought the same thing sort of from playing the demo. But when you get the whole story of Heavy Rain those scenes from the demo makes sense. HR is a story game.
On Topic...So far Alan Wake is awesome, im loving it. Im somewhere in teh middle of ep. 2. I can see ppl not liking it, but im not one of em!
yea i said i'd gamefly it whenever i activate it again
Old 05-25-2010, 08:35 PM   #28
Firegunbang

Firegunbang's Gamercard
This is easily one of the better games I've played in a while. Not only did they craft a fun and suspenseful action/adventure/horror game, but they did it using a cool blend of linear and non-linear storytelling, and some superb level design.

I could see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it phenomenal.
Firegunbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #29
Zenth Forbias

Send a message via AIM to Zenth Forbias

Rider Kibuto's Gamercard
Sigh. I'm tired of graphic whores, I really am. I absolutely LOVED the story. It takes A LOT for me to get dragged into a game like this, and Wake's story kept me in. My ONE downfall was the games shortness. 6 Episodes, but however the episodes are rather lengthy.

I also remember saying to myself, 'This game needs to be called Energizer presents Alan Wake' because seriously.....

The game is good. Sure the physics and graphics don't match up, but Remedy isn't EPIC or Valve or IW. Let's be serious, people.

Zenth Forbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #30
-KTA-

phil collins117's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiddo View Post
Go play Dead Space for good atmosphere. Awakes is bloody terrible sub par. The hud completely ruins it.
Dead Space is a good game but after the first 2 hours the atmosphere is ruined by being incredibly over powered.

Alan Wake's atmosphere is superb, but it plays like a good book. So you need an attention span to enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKiddo View Post
Because MS said so. And most the studio was axed.
Link? You know MS doesn't own remedy. Stop spreading bullshit.