PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Alan Wake
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
sSammer

Ending... disappointment?

Ill try not to make any specific references to the ending sequence for fear of spoiling it for anyone who hasn't played all the way through, but for all you others, did you have the same reaction?

It seemed in general as if the plot wasn't summed up correctly and so many questions remained unanswered. Sure you can tidy that up with dlc but remedy stated they thought the ending was complete as it was. I'm sorry... what? I feel like they just twisted everything about and made you think that there was some hidden complex meaning, in reality there wasnt . "Its not a lake, its an ocean." -uhhhh? Making assertions towards vague and badly developed symbolism doesn't give the plot significant context. Sure it'll fool the vast majority of players that they just witnessed some sort of literary miracle, but I personally wasn't satisfied. When the credits rolled by I wasn't surprised to see that only one person had written the story.

Maybe I'm just hyper criticle, but friends of mine had the same reaction...

Thoughts?
sSammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Ozbaab

Ozbaab's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I wasn't disappointed at all, I had really expected more questions then answers and I really think there is a meaning behind most of the stuff that's going on. When you think of the series they've taken alot of inspiration from, Lost, Twin Peaks, there's not an explanation to everything is there? But perhaps a, I dont know, deeper meaning?
"Its not a lake, its an ocean." Could mean a bunch of stuff, there's a thread here somewhere where there are some very interested theories as to what this could mean.

I believe we will get abit enlightened in the coming DLC episodes

First in Sweden to 1k Alan Wake!

Ozbaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
sSammer

Fair enough, I'll be interested to see how they continue.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:08 AM   #4
Pearson

Biomedical Fire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
I wasn't disappointed in the ending, but was more confused than anything. I think that the ending was intentionally done that way by Sam Lake and Remedy so that in a way the DLC might be used to answer questions that the ending may have brought up in us gamers.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
A ZombieTwinkie

A ZombieTwinkie's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Silver   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I was just confused as all hell and wanted more so I can figure out what exactly is going on.

*Props to G A C K T for the awesome sig*

A ZombieTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #6
jedimaster4367

jedimaster4367's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by a zombietwinkie View Post
i was just confused as all hell and wanted more so i can figure out what exactly is going on.
QFT. I want more NOW!
1 vs. 100, Assassin's Creed II, Batman: AA (PC/X360), Bourne Conspiracy, the Call of Duty series, Dash of Destruction, Dragon Age: Origins, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Gears of War 2, The Godfather II, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Harm's Way, Left 4 Dead 2, LEGO Batman, LEGO Indiana Jones, LEGO Star Wars: TCS, LotR: Conquest, Mass Effect 2, Prince of Persia: TFS, Resident Evil 5, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Star Wars: TFU, Star Wars: TFUII, Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
jedimaster4367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Wats0n

Wats0n's Gamercard
One of the very first lines of the game quotes Stephen King stating that a good horror story shouldn't be explained. Honestly I hope it's never truly explained cause it makes it a better story. It's like the guys who make Silent Hill,they've stated they wont ever explain what makes that place so messed up because if they have to explain it then the fun and experience is gone. Not everything can be explained, or should be for that matter, horror shouldn't have to make sense because it doesn't have to. Just enjoy don't complain.
Wats0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
sSammer

I respectfully disagree. Personally, I find Alan Wake to be more of a suspense/mystery type of game (the story is after all what drives the game forward). The inclusion of the horror aspect doesn't give them creative warrant to simply leave loose ends amiss. Letting the player give a shape to horror that engulfs wake would be great, but from what I can tell rather than doing this people are more just confused. In other words they can't just leave us in the dark to contemplate what's been going on this whole time because there isn't enough information to even start imagining.

Don't get me wrong I liked this game, especially the sequence where shining your light over words gives them physical reality. I just seems as if Alan Wake can't really decide what aspect of gaming its trying to embody... (horror, literary, suspense, mystery etc.). Its always possible to have multiple aspects of these qualities but Alan Wake doesn't define itself well enough to achieve a proper mix.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
Chuppernicus

chuppernicus's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by sSammer View Post
I respectfully disagree. Personally, I find Alan Wake to be more of a suspense/mystery type of game (the story is after all what drives the game forward). The inclusion of the horror aspect doesn't give them creative warrant to simply leave loose ends amiss. Letting the player give a shape to horror that engulfs wake would be great, but from what I can tell rather than doing this people are more just confused. In other words they can't just leave us in the dark to contemplate what's been going on this whole time because there isn't enough information to even start imagining.

Don't get me wrong I liked this game, especially the sequence where shining your light over words gives them physical reality. I just seems as if Alan Wake can't really decide what aspect of gaming its trying to embody... (horror, literary, suspense, mystery etc.). Its always possible to have multiple aspects of these qualities but Alan Wake doesn't define itself well enough to achieve a proper mix.
So wait, you have a problem with the game because it doesn't fit neatly into the confines of a certain genre? Does it need to embody, that's a nice word by the way.. embody, one genre? What would the "proper" mix be? Why does a game have to be this or that? Furthermore how does the game not "define" itself? I'm curious as to just what a game needs to do to define itself and why would a game need to do this?

I like the questions that arise as the story comes to close. I don't want to be patronized by the writer of a movie, game or book. I like to think a bit. To each their own I guess.

I wasn't disappointed at the ending. More please.

-Insert something creative here-
( that doesn't include stats that no one really cares about or some poorly photoshop'd image with your name stuck in it. )

Chuppernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
sSammer

Not really... that post more just said I didn't like all of the loose ends that weren't tied up. If they're answered in the dlc, I'll rescind my little comment.

The genre distinction was more of an irrelevant little tangent I took with a biased personal view added onto it.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #11
Kevin Craze

Kevin CrAzE5285's Gamercard
I was not disappointed at all. I'm confused as all hell about what happend there in the end, but I'm not disappointed. Now remember in the beginning of the game he quoted Stephen King saying "you don't always give an explanation to why things are happening the way they are" or something along those lines 'cause it takes the horror away. For the "it's not a lake it's an ocean" quote, me and my friend agree that because the Lake in the game has mystical powers and caused all this (the books to come to life - correct me if I'm wrong please), we believe by saying that, he's referring that the problem (the darkness) is much bigger then we were told in the game because an Ocean is bigger then a lake. Does that make sense? The rest of it is confusing and I'm currently trying to piece it all together. However, there will be a second one, and it should help us understand more.
Kevin Craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
Kevin Craze

Kevin CrAzE5285's Gamercard
I also feel the one writer who wrote this did a great job. Leaving us wanting more is what a writer's supposed to do. And I know we're all begging for more. And the game may not be a horror genre for us, but to Alan Wake it's a horror, he even said it in the game, the book turned genre's becoming a horror story.
Kevin Craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #13
Phasmatis75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sSammer View Post
Ill try not to make any specific references to the ending sequence for fear of spoiling it for anyone who hasn't played all the way through, but for all you others, did you have the same reaction?

It seemed in general as if the plot wasn't summed up correctly and so many questions remained unanswered. Sure you can tidy that up with dlc but remedy stated they thought the ending was complete as it was. I'm sorry... what? I feel like they just twisted everything about and made you think that there was some hidden complex meaning, in reality there wasnt . "Its not a lake, its an ocean." -uhhhh? Making assertions towards vague and badly developed symbolism doesn't give the plot significant context. Sure it'll fool the vast majority of players that they just witnessed some sort of literary miracle, but I personally wasn't satisfied. When the credits rolled by I wasn't surprised to see that only one person had written the story.

Maybe I'm just hyper criticle, but friends of mine had the same reaction...

Thoughts?
Yeah I was disapointed to, mostly because I thought that the game was going to be continued in DLC and now I need to find out whether or not that is true before ammending my review.

I disagree with any assertion that it left us wanting more. A want, no, more of a devious need. If you are not given satisfaction you will seek it and in that regards the game screws you and cons you into buy their expansions instead of offering good gamage and making you actually wanting more rather than needing more.
Phasmatis75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:14 PM   #14
nel e nel

nel e nel's Gamercard
I dunno, it all made sense to me - as much sense as these types of stories can make.

How many of the manuscript pages did you all get, and did you read them and understand how they related to the story? There was a specific page that I just came across last night that talks about how the Darkness has collected all of these artifacts over the years through it's attempts to break free of it's lake prison, and they specifically reference boats and ships and airplanes that are decades - if not centuries - old.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW***

I mean, the entire time they talk about the Darkness being this immortal presence that has been around for eternity, and it obviously uses creative/artistic types to manifest itself in the physical world. It 'lives' in the lake, but that means the lake is not really a lake but a well of 'evil' if you will. In most of these types of stories there are parallel universes or alternate realities, so the quote about the lake being an ocean fits perfectly in line with this type of storyline. It's like Dr. Who's phone booth - larger on the inside than on the outside. And if it's physical form has been evolving over millenia of artists, writers, poets etc creating new and fantastic stories about it, who knows how deep the lake really is? Maybe Tom Zane wrote it into an ocean, that would explain why he's in a diving suit.

As for the ending, I thought it was pretty clear that Alan sacrificed himself so that Alice could escape the Darkness. He specifically said that while he was able to rescue Alice that a balance had to be maintained, then it cut to the scene of him diving in the water after Alice, her being set free and swimming to shore. These types of stories always have some sort of 'balance' mythos - balance between good and evil; 'take-me-and-set-her-free' types of hostage situations.

I mean, if you can suspend your disbelief enough to buy into a game's storyline and enjoy it, then you should be able to suspend your disbelief enough to accept the conclusion to that story. I would also suggest you guys go read some Stephen King, Clive Barker and HP Lovecraft for reference points.

Last edited by nel e nel; 05-25-2010 at 03:19 PM.
nel e nel is offline   Reply With Quote