Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Shooter > Doom II
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #1
OneDeadCop112

OneDeadCop112's Gamercard
So... Verdicts?

How is everyone liking the port? It's pretty good from the first few levels of play.

That only thing that is bugging me is the no widescreen support and being a doomer who has played using source ports from day one, it's pretty annoying not having a full 360 look around.

EDIT: I also forgot, you can't change the screen size properly like on the source ports either. I prefer playing without the grey bar at the bottom

Last edited by OneDeadCop112; 05-27-2010 at 10:11 AM.
OneDeadCop112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
T FUNK 1984

T FUNK 1984's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I agree about the widescreen support, the only other thing I've found so far is major lag in all but 1 of the multiplayer games I've played - it was painful getting to 100 kills last night.

Other than that I'm really enjoying it.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Rage66

x Inflames80 x's Gamercard
Why did they Remove the Red Crosses on the Medikits? The Red/White Doc. Mario Pills suck Balls oO.
Rage66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
CutmanMike

Send a message via AIM to CutmanMike

cutmanmike's Gamercard
http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/020906_redcross.x

^ This is why
Old 05-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Evil Dobermann

Evil Dobermann's Gamercard
Yup no red crosses suck. :-(
And I can't get comfortable with the new double barrel shotgun sound.

I agree with the online lag. Played 2 matches yesterday and could hardly get kills, so I gave up and try again today. If someone wants to boost, pm me in live. (i know this is not the trading thread)
Evil Dobermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Rage66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutmanMike View Post
Thanks for the Link now it makes Sense ;-).
Old 05-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I like playing Doom 2 through the Skulltag sourceport engine. The only reason I even bought this was for the achievements and the rewards. I still have the original CD for windows.

If this game was anymore than 800 points it would be a rip-off considering the first one was only 400 points. I think the reason why they jacked up the price was either MS being their greedy selves or because of the avatar stuff included. The Doom armor alone would probably cost 320 points and the shirt for 60.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
Rage66

Doom 2 has many Buttons for Weapon Switch i wish i could bind my Favourite Weapons on the D-Pad that would be cool sometimes it sucks because it takes forever to switch to the right Weapon. Oh yeah and the new Reload Sound of the Double Barreled sucks :-(.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
MILINKYO

MILINKYO's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet1337 View Post
I like playing Doom 2 through the Skulltag sourceport engine. The only reason I even bought this was for the achievements and the rewards. I still have the original CD for windows.

If this game was anymore than 800 points it would be a rip-off considering the first one was only 400 points. I think the reason why they jacked up the price was either MS being their greedy selves or because of the avatar stuff included. The Doom armor alone would probably cost 320 points and the shirt for 60.
Doom cost 800 when it firsf came out then it was reduced sometime last year. First time I've played Doom 2 abd I'm enjoying it loads.
MILINKYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
It was 400 points when it first came out. I remember buying it on the first day for that much. If you don't believe me, search for articles reviewing Doom and they'll say it was 400 points.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Natetendo83

Natetendo83's Gamercard
Maybe it was a launch special of some sort but it was 800 for a while until it went Greatest Hits.
Natetendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Alshain

Alshain's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rage66 View Post
Doom 2 has many Buttons for Weapon Switch i wish i could bind my Favourite Weapons on the D-Pad that would be cool sometimes it sucks because it takes forever to switch to the right Weapon. Oh yeah and the new Reload Sound of the Double Barreled sucks :-(.
The weapons are already mapped to the D-Pad. Press up for shotguns (press again to switch between double and single), press right for the guns that use bullets (pistol and chain gun), down for the chainsaw, fists, and I think the rocket launcher. I'm assuming left will be the energy weapons. Just keep hitting the direction and it will toggle between the weapons that use that ammo type.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Rage66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshain View Post
The weapons are already mapped to the D-Pad. Press up for shotguns (press again to switch between double and single), press right for the guns that use bullets (pistol and chain gun), down for the chainsaw, fists, and I think the rocket launcher. I'm assuming left will be the energy weapons. Just keep hitting the direction and it will toggle between the weapons that use that ammo type.
cool, thanks
Old 05-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Squalasura

SQUALASURA's Gamercard
I have really been enjoying it. I have alot of great memories of this game when I was in high school 16 years ago. The widescreen functionality, or lack thereof kinda sucks but I'm getting used to it as I play it more. Overall I think its $10 well spent.
Squalasura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM   #15
StakemZ

I Stakey I's Gamercard
The first DOOM was always 400 points. It came out in like 2006 didn't it? Back when the standard pricing for arcade titles was 400 and bigger games were 800. Now it's 800 for smaller and 1200 for bigger. Times change.
StakemZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #16
Doominatorx6

Doominatorx6's Gamercard
Doom (AKA Ultimate Doom) was always 800. I know for a fact because it was the first XBLA game I ever bought, alongside UMK3. It was one of the first games to be part of the "Arcade Hits" thing, hence why it is 400 currently. That clear things up?

As for the game itself, I'm pleased but not as much as I wanted to be. It's pretty much identical to the original Doom on XBL, but the music sounds weird, almost slower (I think wolfenstein had the same thing... porting errors?), no widescreen, and embarrassing lag. Also, maybe because I grew up with Doom and not so much Doom 2 there's less nostalgic value here pour moi.

Still, if you ever played Doom or just love shooters, 10$ is a solid price. Hell, pick up Doom alongside it if you don't have it.

EDIT - I didn't notice the "pills instead of crosses" thing, but that's just dumb. Guess I just have to say "Grabbin Peelz!" instead of "need health!"

1st in the world to finish Monster Madness
2nd in the world to finish Rock of the Dead

Boogers
Doominatorx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
prezskroob

prezskroob's Gamercard
Love it so far. At least now I know that my sound will always work, as opposed to playing it on my old pc with the crappy, rarely working soundcard.
I noticed the pill emblems, but didn't really think anything about the change.
A little disappointed about the lack of widescreen support.
Still one of my favorite games of all time.

This is all part of my "Get Rich Slow" scheme.
-The late, great Mitch Hedberg, r.i.p.
prezskroob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM   #18
KingSigy

Send a message via AIM to KingSigy Send a message via MSN to KingSigy Send a message via Yahoo to KingSigy Send a message via Skype™ to KingSigy

KingSigy's Gamercard
I like the port. It's not the greatest, but I grew up playing this game and the achievements are easy for me. Other than that, it's just Doom 2 with a bonus. Nothing wrong with that.

KingSigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #19
cbssi

dude527's Gamercard
This is a very good game, although I never played any other version, so I can't judge it based on other versions, but in and of itself, this port is spectacular to me.
100% retail games: King Kong, Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo: Reach, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, Assassin's Creed II, Saw, Mass Effect 2
80%+ retail games: The Orange Box, Tomb Raider: Underworld, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, Fallout 3, Fable II, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Resident Evil 5, Mass Effect, Halo Wars, BioShock, BioShock 2
cbssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 AM   #20
MikeJonesJaxson

Send a message via AIM to MikeJonesJaxson

MikeJonesJaxson's Gamercard
Good port, got used to the different sounds and what-not from monsters and guns. But I wasn't a fan of the new episode.

Also, too dark, what the heck?
MikeJonesJaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #21
vmu

VMU's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
the reguar 32 epiisodes are great, the 9 new levels are kinda bland and seem designed to be difficult. i'm pretty sure it was ID's goal to stack as many monsters as possible
Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 AM   #22
OneDeadCop112

OneDeadCop112's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJonesJaxson View Post
Good port, got used to the different sounds and what-not from monsters and guns. But I wasn't a fan of the new episode.

Also, too dark, what the heck?
Really? I thought the new episode looked amazing, developers really went to town with the mapping.
OneDeadCop112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:00 AM   #23
AzureWrathHal

Send a message via AIM to AzureWrathHal

Jeremiad Kain's Gamercard
Quote:
This has got to be the dumbest crap I've ever read in my entire life.

OH NO! THEY'RE USING A RED CROSS TO DESIGNATE HEALING! BETTER PUT A STOP TO THAT!

Honestly, don't they have better things to worry about?
AzureWrathHal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #24
MikeJonesJaxson

Send a message via AIM to MikeJonesJaxson

MikeJonesJaxson's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDeadCop112 View Post
Really? I thought the new episode looked amazing, developers really went to town with the mapping.
It just kinda felt like you were constantly put into situations where you were just thrown in the middle of monster spawns which got tiring after a while. While it's not a problem if it happens like once every few stages, I felt so bored with the rest of each stage after the big fights. I had no motivation for exploring the new stages at all!
MikeJonesJaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
Xeogred

Xeogred's Gamercard
I too am a little disappointed it's just like the Doom port and not at the quality of the Duke Nukem 3D port, but I won't really complain.

Yeah I've totally got the WAD's and all the extra's and such, but it's a nice excuse to play the game again and go for some fun achievements.

As some people say though... unless there's a huge gap between Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-Violence here in Doom II, I might end up having an easier time with it than I did Doom. At least the first parts of Episode 4 for the original Doom were damn brutal... yikes.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:05 PM   #26
Choco Biscuits

Choco Biscuits's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureWrathHal View Post
This has got to be the dumbest crap I've ever read in my entire life.

OH NO! THEY'RE USING A RED CROSS TO DESIGNATE HEALING! BETTER PUT A STOP TO THAT!

Honestly, don't they have better things to worry about?
Pathetic isn't it? And to think that they'd be willing to spend vast ammount of money in litigation.....money that could be spent doing the *good* things that the red cross does.

As for the game, it's pure brilliance. It's like I'm reliving my childhood. The Doom games are just so damn good, personally I don't think you can call yourself a gamer unless you've finish the original Doom games

What are people saying about new sounds? Everything sounds exactly the same as it always has done to me....
Old 05-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
Evil Dobermann

Evil Dobermann's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choco Biscuits View Post
What are people saying about new sounds? Everything sounds exactly the same as it always has done to me....
This is the oldschool sound of the super shotty:

Compare to that one in the xbox-version ...
Evil Dobermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
I still say it's bullshit that they can copyright/trademark/whatever a design as simple as this: + Ohshit! Hope the site doesn't get sued for this unauthorized use of a plus sign!

But the port? Yeah it's great. I haven't tried the new levels yet, but what I've done so far? Awesome. The Super Shotgun did sound off to me at first (mostly the reloading part, after the BOOM!), but now I'm either used to the new sound or it was never new in the first place because I don't notice it anymore.

I also didn't have any problems with lag in the MP matches either. Hell, I was even super lucky and didn't have any problems with douchebags quitting before the match officially ends because they were losing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentCabaret View Post
This guide continues to warm my heart and piss off my roommates. Thanks so much!

Last edited by mjc0961; 05-29-2010 at 07:41 PM.
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #29
Choco Biscuits

Choco Biscuits's Gamercard
Sounds the same to me....clearly I'm deaf
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #30
Iron_Man_91

Send a message via MSN to Iron_Man_91

Twohand1125's Gamercard
I find it funny that NOW they decide to clam copyright on the red cross when considering how long this game has been around for.
Iron_Man_91 is offline   Reply With Quote