Inactive Gamertags

RiPPeN

edit: changing sides! although names should become available again, they cant delete the tag.

A solution would be that if the tag has been offline for like a year, the name becomes available again, and when that tag comes back online again, they can choose a different gamertag.

This would keep the tag around, and still give other people a chance to use a name they want but cant because someone just makes accounts to take names

Edited by Giptuc

If you don't use your email for a certain amount of time microsoft cancels it... why can't they do it for a gamertag? heh... just wishful thinking i guess... you would still be able to use it offline but if you don't use it for a couple of years they should be able to reallow people to use it...

edit: changing sides! although names should become available again, they cant delete the tag.

A solution would be that if the tag has been offline for like a year, the name becomes available again, and when that tag comes back online again, they can choose a different gamertag.

This would keep the tag around, and still give other people a chance to use a name they want but cant because someone just makes accounts to take names

I agree with this but 1 year silver (and not signed in for more than 6months)

If you don't use your email for a certain amount of time microsoft cancels it... why can't they do it for a gamertag? heh... just wishful thinking i guess... you would still be able to use it offline but if you don't use it for a couple of years they should be able to reallow people to use it...

Because e-mail accounts are free, XBL Gamertags arent

This sounds like a good idea. I'd love to have my old GT back. Come on, MS! Fix it! lol

What about a person in the army or something that wouldn't be able to go online for a year in extreme cases. There's many cases were people would get bent over by this "1-Year" policy. They had the tag before you, therefore it's theirs. Regardless of circumstances they shouldn't have it taken away from them...

They don't and shouldn't. Just because you want a tag doesn't mean it should become available. If someone made it, that tag is rightfully theirs.

I've seen loads Gamertags with 0 Gamerscore and an original xbox logo gamerpic

This is obviously a tag that is no longer used by anyone and as far as I'm concerned should be deleted and have the gamertag become available again

And some people do make loads of free Silver GTs just so people can not take the names, I am absolutely sure of this

If someone hasnt used there gamertag online for say... 2+ years, i think it should be reset so some else can use it.

and if by any chance they try to connect after its been reset they get a message telling them why they lost that gt and that they get to change it to somthing else.

The gamertag i want hasnt connected to xbl since Feb 2008. :(

I have to agree with this. Be a bit more forgiving with the timeframe though. 3+ years without Gold membership and the name becomes available.

Why does it matter? There must be more than a bazzilion different names to choose from. I doubt 0.000001% of combinations have been used. Surely there is something you would take a liking to in the other 99.999999%

The problem is, the majority of the 99.999% (and I am sure that figure is highly exaggerated considering the millions and millions of accounts) are names like 'xb6s2jdv' and '8dfh3sbcce2s'. Who the hell wants random letters and numbers as their gamertag?

This is obviously a tag that is no longer used by anyone and as far as I'm concerned should be deleted and have the gamertag become available again

And some people do make loads of free Silver GTs just so people can not take the names, I am absolutely sure of this

That's a different story. If it was never used in the first place then it should be deleted. However, just because someone hasn't logged in for one, or even two years doesn't mean they should lose their tag. Like someone else said, what if they were off to Iraq? Not really their fault that they can't log in then.

Haha, I've done this for 5 gamertags :) Now everyone's gonna start doing it :@

That's a different story. If it was never used in the first place then it should be deleted. However, just because someone hasn't logged in for one, or even two years doesn't mean they should lose their tag. Like someone else said, what if they were off to Iraq? Not really their fault that they can't log in then.

If they are a soldier I doubt they will care that much about their Xbox Live gamertag.

The problem is if it's deleted off the HDD and a year later, they want to recover it, they won;t be able to because they won't know the gamertag.

It's unlikely, but it could happen.