PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Television
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
xSeifer13x

Send a message via AIM to xSeifer13x Send a message via Yahoo to xSeifer13x Send a message via Skype™ to xSeifer13x

LdubTownsend's Gamercard
AMC's Series "The Walking Dead"

While I'm sure some of you who're into comics and horror know what "The Walking Dead" is, I'm sure others of you are not as familiar with the name.

[Riped from a portion of the Wikipedia article due to laziness]
Quote:
The Walking Dead is an American monthly black and white comic published by Image Comics beginning in 2003. The comic was created by writer Robert Kirkman and artist Tony Moore and chronicles the travels of a group of people trying to survive in a world stricken by a zombie apocalypse.

A television show was announced in August of last year and finally we are getting some behind the scenes shots of the upcoming AMC series. The series is scheduled for an October airing as filming was started last month.

The comic series is extremely good and without a doubt something worth reading if your into this sort of thing. Come Fall those Zombie lovers still out there may have something to look forward to each week other then a paycheck and bills.

I looked a few pages back and didn't see anyone mention this on any of the boards I looked at and while I know this should have been posted on the Television boards, I didn't notice much activity there and wanted to get this to as many people as possible.

Last edited by Tyger7; 11-04-2011 at 10:28 AM.
xSeifer13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
StolenPaper18

StolenPaper18's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   XBA Promoter   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
This sounds awesome. I'm not really into comics and have never heard of this before. I do love me some zombies. Thanks for the information!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
AMC? Interesting.

But i might check it out. I always am weary of TV adaptations.

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Iconoclast

Iconoclastix's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
AMC? Interesting.

But i might check it out. I always am weary of TV adaptations.
QFT. I'm intrigued because it's classic. Yet this is one of those things that will almost certainly either be extremely good, or extremely terrible; I don't see much wiggle room in between or any grey area for it to be just so-so.

RB2 - 1651 DLC songs (+RB1, GDRB, LRB, ACDC), platinum guitar/bass + vox.
MW2 - 10th Prestige baby!

Always looking for people in Bad Company 2 (PC NOT 360)
Want to join PpZ?
Send me a friend request in-game
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
iBlessing 09
Banned User

Rare Name's Gamercard

If this is anything like Deadset then I'm going to watch it.
iBlessing 09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
xSeifer13x

Send a message via AIM to xSeifer13x Send a message via Yahoo to xSeifer13x Send a message via Skype™ to xSeifer13x

LdubTownsend's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
AMC? Interesting.
But I might check it out. I always am weary of TV adaptations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
QFT. I'm intrigued because it's classic. Yet this is one of those things that will almost certainly either be extremely good, or extremely terrible; I don't see much wiggle room in between or any grey area for it to be just so-so.
Honestly, I'm very optimistic this could be good. I mean look at the facts so far.

Frank Darabont [Writer, Director, Excecutive Producer]
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors [Writer]
  • The Blob [Writer]
  • The Fly II [Writer]
  • The Shawshank Redemption [Writer]
  • The Green Mile [Writer]
  • Saving Private Ryan & Minority Report [Doctored the scripts]
Frank is a Golden Globe nominated writer and director who recently wrote a script for Frankenstein in which Guillermo del Toro said he would "kill to direct" it.

Charles H. Eglee [Writer & Producer]
  • L.A. Law [Writer & Producer]
  • The Byrds of Paradise [Writer & Producer]
  • NYPD Blue [Writer & Producer]
  • Murder One [Writer & Producer]
  • Dark Angel [Co-created, Writer & Producer]
  • The Shield [Writer & Producer]
  • Dexter [Writer & Producer]
Charles is an Emmy Award winner and whose been nominated for the Writers Guild Award and received the People's Choice Awards.

These are however just my observations and the cast and AMC will play a big part in how this show unravels, but with T.V. hits such as Breaking Bad and Mad Men I'm really giving them my faith on this one.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Pyrochaos

AOS Pyrochaos's Gamercard

I love me a good zombie flick, so hopefully it turns out good. Not sure of the story in the comics, but is it good enough to merit an entire season? Let alone multiple if it does well?

Pyrochaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Sambuca Queen

Plug in Baby 85's Gamercard

As a TV series it will work, movies maybe rushed due to the amount of comics released. Something to finally look forward to on TV!

My plug in baby,
Crucifies my enemies
When I'm tired of giving.
My plug in baby,
In unbroken virgin realities
Is tired of living.
Sambuca Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher Send a message via Skype™ to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Thanks to my wife's friend who is also a annoying pig, I got to enjoy this series as a comic book up until about...6-8 months ago? The last issue I read was (without spoilers) involving a group called the Hunters I believe, it was just closing on that arc and that was the last issue I read.

But let me introduce to the series to people unfamiliar with it.

Rule one of reading (and now watching) The Walking Dead: Expect Anything. This means your attachment to a character may very well be shattered, anyone is up for garbles by the zombies (or other means)...and there is a HUGE cast of characters.

Rule two of The Walking Dead: have an open mind. There's a lot of things that happen in this series that would otherwise be considered wrong in many socieities, whether it is the gore, sexual relations or otherwise...if you keep an open mind you will enjoy this. If you don't, you'll slander it and walk away faster than a zombie.

Rule three: The Prison Arc signifies A LOT of story development. Be prepared for it, I'm not sure if this is going to faithfully follow the comic's storyline but there is a lot of laughs, tears, gore, carnage and so on passed this lengthy portion of the series. And there is a few jaw dropping moments in the comic to say the least...one that may stick with your mind for all time.

I remember reading about this back in the issues for the series and Kirkman said how excited he was about it. Let's hope they don't screw it up terribly...because this series is a lot about gore and violence and sex and everything.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
xSeifer13x

LdubTownsend's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVthePunisher View Post
Thanks to my wife's friend who is also a annoying pig, I got to enjoy this series as a comic book up until about...6-8 months ago? The last issue I read was (without spoilers) involving a group called the Hunters I believe, it was just closing on that arc and that was the last issue I read.

But let me introduce to the series to people unfamiliar with it.

Rule one of reading (and now watching) The Walking Dead: Expect Anything. This means your attachment to a character may very well be shattered, anyone is up for garbles by the zombies (or other means)...and there is a HUGE cast of characters.

Rule two of The Walking Dead: have an open mind. There's a lot of things that happen in this series that would otherwise be considered wrong in many socieities, whether it is the gore, sexual relations or otherwise...if you keep an open mind you will enjoy this. If you don't, you'll slander it and walk away faster than a zombie.

Rule three: The Prison Arc signifies A LOT of story development. Be prepared for it, I'm not sure if this is going to faithfully follow the comic's storyline but there is a lot of laughs, tears, gore, carnage and so on passed this lengthy portion of the series. And there is a few jaw dropping moments in the comic to say the least...one that may stick with your mind for all time.

I remember reading about this back in the issues for the series and Kirkman said how excited he was about it. Let's hope they don't screw it up terribly...because this series is a lot about gore and violence and sex and everything.
I couldn't have said it better myself. My only dislike about this coming to public television is a lot of the gore, violence, and sex will be toned down. Aside from that I cannot wait.

I also want to touch on the Zombies in the series. The Zombie source from as far as I know is unknown, but works something like this. Everyone has the virus in them, so when you die your almost 100% guaranteed to come back as a brain-eater. If bitten your only choice is to either chop off infected area or if possible cut away that section of your body and clean it throughly as you will eventually die from the virus if not treated.

The "prison arc" is one of the best parts of the series and introduces one of my favorite charter's in the series, Michonne. The young women who you see in the cover I posted above is straight up in my opinion bad-ass.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
HarperBird

HarperBird's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Having also been introduced to this by a friend I am currently reading Volume 6 and i think that this comic just keeps getting better and better!!

I heard a while ago that this was being made into a TV show so hopefully the TV show will stick faithfully to the storyline in the comic! I'm pretty sure the TV show will be do that and it will be just as good as the comic! With the director and the writer being fairly well known I think it will be hard to screw it up entirely and this comic seems to made for a TV show as i can see how they would split it up into seasons.

I'm currently watching AMC 'Breaking Bad' and I think it is one of the best shows out there at the moment and thats full of sex, violence and gore so i think AMC will do justice with this comic!

Theres a couple of scenes i would love to see made and if anyone has read Volume 6 they will know what I'm talking about when I say that 'The Governer' gets what he deserved!

When is this due out anyone know of a release date i think it's October but not too sure!

6 have had RRoD (one was also banned for being chipped)
1 E74 Error
1 Was given away

Sig by Nozza x360a/Breaking Bad= Best TV show ever!
HarperBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
xSeifer13x

LdubTownsend's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperBird View Post
Having also been introduced to this by a friend I am currently reading Volume 6 and i think that this comic just keeps getting better and better!!

I heard a while ago that this was being made into a TV show so hopefully the TV show will stick faithfully to the storyline in the comic! I'm pretty sure the TV show will be do that and it will be just as good as the comic! With the director and the writer being fairly well known I think it will be hard to screw it up entirely and this comic seems to made for a TV show as i can see how they would split it up into seasons.

I'm currently watching AMC 'Breaking Bad' and I think it is one of the best shows out there at the moment and thats full of sex, violence and gore so i think AMC will do justice with this comic!

Theres a couple of scenes i would love to see made and if anyone has read Volume 6 they will know what I'm talking about when I say that 'The Governor' gets what he deserved!

When is this due out anyone know of a release date i think it's October but not too sure!
Yeah from what I understand the filming started last month and their aiming for an October release. I hope it's not on Thursday's and not to late that I run the risk of falling asleep. Then again there is DVR, but I'd rather watch it that night instead of hearing about it from friends or in the news.

As far as your comment about the 'The Governor', all I'm going to say is this moment reminded me a lot of what Bub does at the end of Dawn of the Dead if you catch my drift.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher Send a message via Skype™ to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Yes, let's not forget the Governor. Now there's two parts that come to mind, the one involving Mihonne and then the one that occurs right after the huge shocker moment that you didn't see coming...(and to this day, I don't know the truth on a certain subject....maybe it's been released since then in a Kirkman interview, but you'll just have to get into the series to know what I mean...)

I'm going to tell you guys one thing though, to the newcomers...Rick is probably one of the most character developed people I have ever seen in a series. He starts off as a guy who hasn't the slightest clue what is going on, he wants to find his family...and he starts adapting to every change, while retaining (and even rejecting!) the leadership that people have faith in him for. And then more recently, after the Prison Arc...how he's become something so...so I can't talk about it here!

http://www.hiddenrobot.com/WALKINGDEAD/

Lots of stuff for the series!
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
xSeifer13x

LdubTownsend's Gamercard
Rick Grimes as played by Andrew Lincoln.

Lori Grimes as played by Sarah Wayne Callies.

Shane Walsh as played by Jon Bernthal.

Andrea as played by Laurie Holden.

Glenn as played by Steven Yeun.

Last edited by xSeifer13x; 06-10-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Teh BeZ

Send a message via MSN to Teh BeZ

Teh BeZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I seen this last night on Tv.com. Im not a betting man, but I'll put money on this being AWESOME!!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #16
Iconoclast

Iconoclastix's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeifer13x View Post
Lori Grimes as played by Sarah Wayne Callies.

Nice! I haven't seen her in anything since Prison Break...she was one of my favourite characters in the show. Shame that series when completely bogus after the second season :/

RB2 - 1651 DLC songs (+RB1, GDRB, LRB, ACDC), platinum guitar/bass + vox.
MW2 - 10th Prestige baby!

Always looking for people in Bad Company 2 (PC NOT 360)
Want to join PpZ?
Send me a friend request in-game
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
Teh BeZ

Send a message via MSN to Teh BeZ

Teh BeZ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Nice! I haven't seen her in anything since Prison Break...she was one of my favourite characters in the show. Shame that series when completely bogus after the second season :/
Agreed lol, I was talking to Nozza about Prison Break, and we agreed if it had stopped there it would have been one of the best TV shows in history. Sadly the spoiled it
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #18
xSeifer13x

LdubTownsend's Gamercard
Quote:
I really enjoyed the first season as much as everyone else. I didn't need a second season, but it almost made sense and was fun seeing the cast hunted down and killed. Everything after that I didn't care for or need.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #19
HarperBird

HarperBird's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Man this is so gunna be epic and the cast looks pretty gd but I'm not sure on the guy playing Rick, cause he's an english actor playing an american cop! why didn't they get an American actor! Also it sucks to be Shane

6 have had RRoD (one was also banned for being chipped)
1 E74 Error
1 Was given away

Sig by Nozza x360a/Breaking Bad= Best TV show ever!
HarperBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 02:51 AM   #20
rvlution

H0B0 Santiago's Gamercard

I've been waiting for a while for this. Haven't read the comics so I can't be too disappointed. Interested to see how a zombie TV show goes!
rvlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
hannar__x

hannardynamite's Gamercard
I'm currently halfway through the compendium (so, about Volume 4) and I am throughly enjoying it.

I think the tv show should have been filmed in b+w, in keeping with the tone of the comic. But does b+w have any room in entertainment anymore?
hannar__x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:48 AM   #22
SynysterChris

Send a message via MSN to SynysterChris

SynysterChris's Gamercard

I love the series made a post about this a while back, about the T.V adaptation. If they stick close to the script and keep things they way they are suppose to happen then his could easily be one of the best shows ever.

I don't like the guy who is playing Rick he doesn't look like him. And I'm not sure if he can play the part, though I have not seen anything he has been in, so only time will tell if he can do it.
Though I would have perfered either Peter Krause from Six Feet Under, though he is doing Parenthood hood. Or Kennith Mitchell from Jericho, they both look like Rick and can act so I think they would be a good choice.
Kennith Mitchell

Peter Krause
SynysterChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #23
hannar__x

hannardynamite's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterChris View Post
I don't like the guy who is playing Rick he doesn't look like him. And I'm not sure if he can play the part, though I have not seen anything he has been in, so only time will tell if he can do it.
I agree, he looks nothing like him, he's British as well. But Kirkman and Darabont both want him. So I'll trust that they know what they're doing!

I think Josh Holloway would have been perfect as not only does he fit the bill physically, but he grew up in the same county that the story begins in.
hannar__x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
SynysterChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannar__x View Post
I agree, he looks nothing like him, he's British as well. But Kirkman and Darabont both want him. So I'll trust that they know what they're doing!

I think Josh Holloway would have been perfect as not only does he fit the bill physically, but he grew up in the same county that the story begins in.
Naw i don't like him he looks to Matthew Mcconaughey, which is not a good thing for Rick. His character is a full of hope and optimism then becomes a gritty realist that does whatever it takes for him and his family to survive. He is also a very complex character, and who needs someone with some good acting chops.

So I'm not sure if he can act or not because I have not seen anything he has been in, so I can't judge his acting skills yet.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #25
SynysterChris

So I hear they already started production. So it should be out sometime in October.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 AM   #26
Atrum Kardia

Atrum Kardia's Gamercard
Never heard of this before, but i definetley want to watch the show now. It looks pretty sick, i hope they make it somewhat gory though.

-The Longer You Resist Them...The Greater The Damage Will Be. -
Atrum Kardia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:40 AM   #27
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynysterChris View Post
I love the series made a post about this a while back, about the T.V adaptation. If they stick close to the script and keep things they way they are suppose to happen then his could easily be one of the best shows ever.

Though I would have perfered either Peter Krause from Six Feet Under, though he is doing Parenthood hood. Or Kennith Mitchell from Jericho, they both look like Rick and can act so I think they would be a good choice.
Kennith Mitchell

Peter Krause
I didn't like that either. I was hoping for a new face. But, the rest of the casting looks pretty good. I liked Callies in Prison Break. Wish Kirkman was writing and directing every single episode though.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #28
Sevvy B Goode

Sevvy b goode's Gamercard
As a massive Kirkman fanboy i am chomping at the bit for this...

The Walking Dead is my favourite Comic book barring Invincible and probably the most suitable work of Kirkmans for a TV translation.

As some of the other posters have mentioned im not too sure about the choice for Rick. That blole was Egg in This Life and the main character in a show called Teachers.

Im also positive that this is going to be censored in some way. The Governor / Michonne stuff as well as the actions of some of the characters at the Prison...

And then theres issue 48...

Touch wood though it should still kick arse...

Sig by ATHER 07
Sevvy B Goode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #29
BemusedBox

BemusedBox's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Not heard about this before but it looks good will try and pick up some of comics first and look forward to the show.
BemusedBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #30
SynysterChris

So I saw the teaser trailer for the show today Via a Comic-Con taping and I must say the guy looks nothing like Rick. Though I will just have to be optimistic that at least he does justice to Rick as a character, and that Kirkman likes him and thinks he is a good choice, at least from what I hear him say.

The rest of the choice are good, except Andrea she is way too old looking for her. But other than that, I think the rest are ok. Lori looks nothing like her but I like that chick from Prision Break. SO it's k.

Here is the trailer, thought I would post it.

Last edited by SynysterChris; 07-29-2010 at 08:41 AM. Reason: post trailer