Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Alpha Protocol
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
Ralph The Rogue

Ralph The Rogue's Gamercard
Anyone Else Playing This Game as a FPS?

I'll start by saying that I am no friend of Sam Fisher or Agent 47. My dislike of stealth games is only second to my dislike of platformers. My first few hours with AP were horrible. I really didn't think I would make it past the first Saudi mission.

So, I did a quick change of my load-out before mission 2 and have been playing the game through as a FPS and am really enjoying it. So what if I stand zero chance of getting 1k on this game. At least I'm having fun and enjoying myself.

If stealth mode isn't your bag, I highly suggest trying the FPS mode before trading in the game or sending it back to the rental shop.

Ralph The Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Tom Pladgett

Brutopian's Gamercard
Well, my reaction was the complete opposite. When trying to play it as a shooter, I was constantly irritated by how clumsy and inaccurate the feel of the weapons was. So stealth and pistols are my favorites. Of course, I do admit that the Chain Shot ability is a gigantic game breaker.

Then again, I am a great friend of both Sam Fisher and Agent 47.
Tom Pladgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
ivern

ivernj's Gamercard
It's doable if you carry the right weapons, the AR sucks while you're on the move, but AR + shotgun could work...use the shotgun to mow your way down to vantage points, then the AR to take everybody else / bosses out. However, I've settled on using stealth to move to vantage positions, silenced pistol to kill everybody I can, and just use the AR for bosses or long distance shots, or when things get really ugly. To clear a large number of nearby enemies, CQC is actually amazing, just hit slow motion and go to town.

Tom, how do you kill long range bosses without the AR + critical hits? Or do you pack it in addition to the pistol? I just have no idea how you'd tackle the final boss without an AR, honestly.
ivern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Tom Pladgett

Brutopian's Gamercard
Well, the final boss... simply crouch behind the first pillar, activate Shadow Operative and Silent Running, run invisibly to the stairs in the rear left corner of the hall, find a vantage point in the catwalks opposite the boss, activate Chain Shot and send 6 critical hits of Steel Core rounds to the dude's head (at maximum rank, you'll get crits from much further than that). If you're playing on Hard difficulty, you may need to hit Brilliance to refresh your ability timers and do a second Chain Shot.

Presto, the final boss of the game killed without a single point of damage taken. With a pistol.

Yes, I know it's unsportsmanlike.

Last edited by Tom Pladgett; 06-09-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
ivern

ivernj's Gamercard
Nice...what do you use as your third specialization, other than stealth and pistol? Tech for brilliance I suppose?
Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
Tom Pladgett

Brutopian's Gamercard
Actually, I think Brilliance is the last or second-to-last skill in Tech you can get without specialization. I've used Sabotage, for the Data Theft money bonuses (ended up with a lot of loot and nothing to spend it on), and also on my Hard playthrough specialized on Toughness (useful against Brayko and Marburg).
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
ivern

ivernj's Gamercard
Wow, I've been using chain shot in a hard playthrough and it makes things *so* easy. The pistol's just amazing with this ability. I'm keeping the AR as a secondary weapon for long shots. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
HentaiGuy42

HentaiGuy42's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pladgett View Post
Well, the final boss... simply crouch behind the first pillar, activate Shadow Operative and Silent Running, run invisibly to the stairs in the rear left corner of the hall, find a vantage point in the catwalks opposite the boss, activate Chain Shot and send 6 critical hits of Steel Core rounds to the dude's head (at maximum rank, you'll get crits from much further than that). If you're playing on Hard difficulty, you may need to hit Brilliance to refresh your ability timers and do a second Chain Shot.

Presto, the final boss of the game killed without a single point of damage taken. With a pistol.

Yes, I know it's unsportsmanlike.
You don't even have to do that. If you stay behind the first pillar, you can repeatedly headshot him without exposing yourself to fire from his rockets or the little henchmen. I never bothered with the AR unless I was dealing with hopelessly distant targets (or I was doing a run & gun).
HentaiGuy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
AboutFace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pladgett View Post
Well, my reaction was the complete opposite. When trying to play it as a shooter, I was constantly irritated by how clumsy and inaccurate the feel of the weapons was. So stealth and pistols are my favorites. Of course, I do admit that the Chain Shot ability is a gigantic game breaker.

Then again, I am a great friend of both Sam Fisher and Agent 47.
Sam Fisher is a GOD! Until DA of course.

I'm with you, give me stealth and a pistol, you will go down. I don't find the weapons clumsy but I dislike waiting for the red sights. Also the recharge time on the chain shot (and others) is too slow. I go make a sandwich when I am waiting.
AboutFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Unwillingshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboutFace View Post
Sam Fisher is a GOD! Until DA of course.

I'm with you, give me stealth and a pistol, you will go down. I don't find the weapons clumsy but I dislike waiting for the red sights. Also the recharge time on the chain shot (and others) is too slow. I go make a sandwich when I am waiting.
It seems that the main reason for fast recharges is when you gp Engineer hence the decrease of cool down time and Brilliance.
Blueprotoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Baryonyx

Indigo Potato's Gamercard
There really is no point in trying to sneak your way through the game. Not only is the steal mechanic horribly broken, but the boss fights also mean you've got to be tough and have assault rifle skills anyway!

Call of Duty 4 - 1000/1000
Call of Duty 2 - 1000/1000

Baryonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #12
Blueprotoss
Banned User

Unwillingshadow's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baryonyx View Post
There really is no point in trying to sneak your way through the game. Not only is the steal mechanic horribly broken, but the boss fights also mean you've got to be tough and have assault rifle skills anyway!
You can easily sneak around in this since you can use a silencer on your pistol , wear sound dampening equipment, and use the abilties of a basic Spy class to be stealthy. You don't need to be an Assault guy to beat bosses while the best ways to beat the bosses are by using the different types of ammo and abilities that you have on your chartacter.
Blueprotoss is offline   Reply With Quote