PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
TomoyoN

TomoyoN's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
GETTING Be Quick Be Dead - EVEN if you are GLITCHED

THIS METHOD IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE CURRENTLY GLITCHED OR THINK THEY ARE GLITCHED [Theories on why/how this achievement gets screwed up haven't been proven to 100% but for those that are starting this game fresh try and get this achievement ASAP]

After almost literally 2 years [Last achievement I got in this game I got on 6/19/09] I finally 1k'd this game on 6/1/11...

From my experience in playing other games that save stats to your profile and from reading how others unlocked achievements that were glitched... [C&C 3 Tiberium Wars, Sniper: Ghost Warrior, Army of Two: 40th Day etc...] I thought I'd try it out on this game as it uses the premise of saving stats to your gamer profile [And 3 of those games are published/created by EA] Now I don't take credit for this method as it was created by someone else (so many people have stated they created it but I have no clue who exactly first came up with this method for those other games)

Stuff I did that I doubt had any affect but I did just to speed the process along but I am writing it here just in case something I did helped...

1. Deleted all OLD saves...
2. Cleared System Cache
3. Installed Game to Hard Drive [I do this because I hate hearing the disc spin]
4. Started NEW GAME and played until I unlocked the PIRATES and did the first mission (the one you raced around the jetski)... This unlocks the Jug Delivery Mission... Which is where I prefer to get the headshots. SAVE HERE

NOW THE REAL PART AND YOU NEED TO DO ALL OF THESE

1. Put Gamertag on a USB Stick or Classic Xbox 360 Memory Card.
2. From the DASHBOARD launch the game and let the EA intro play.
3. When you get to the part that it says PRESS START, Unplug your memory card/usb stick.
4. You will see a message to reinsert you memory card/usb stick. IGNORE THIS for now...
5. Press Start and LOAD/CONTINUE. Wait till it loads or is almost done loading then REINSERT memory card/usb stick... [Press the guide button and left one menu and make sure your gamerscore is there if it says 0 or you get disconnected you waited TOO long. Restart from step 2.]
6. Get 50 Kills

I did it on the jug delivery mission and the reason I chose this was because drivers come fairly quickly + they never seem to get out of their vehicles even if their cars are on their side. I started the mission and took a jet ski across the waterway and cleared out the area BEFORE I got in the jeep... After the area is cleared out I got in the jeep and drove it behind the shipping containers so it would not get damaged while I did my killing... Now just kill the UP drivers as they come 2-5 at a time.

For those who will probably ask...
All 50 kills were SCOPED.
Most were STATIONARY vehicles.
I did it all in ONE sitting.
I did it all in ONE LIFE - no retries...

UPDATES:

6/3/2011 - Gotten a few responses over XBL from people who have said this method worked for them... So it does work but you have to get the timing right. Of the responses I did get 1 was a NEW game and the rest were loading previous saves [All were done in ONE sitting]... Please reply below or send me a message over XBL so I can update this thread with more information...

6/5/2011 - User stated that not connecting to EA's servers (159.153.234.195) while doing this was what got it to work for him.

Last edited by TomoyoN; 06-04-2011 at 02:59 PM.
TomoyoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Finnan

Finnan's Gamercard
This seems very promising, so I thought i'd give it a try. I put my gamertag on a memory card, let the game play the intro until it asked to hit start, removed the card, went into start new game (on completely different console, so no saves or cache to worry about, game was never played on it before tonight). When the loading screen came up, I put the memory card back in.

I then played up to the first couple missions of UP, then went to the PLAV and got their first two outposts so I could get the chinese sniper rifle supply drop. Using this drop, I went to the bridge just south of the PLAV and just west of Guanare and sniped VZA drivers. I died accidentally after 14 kills, went back there, and sniped another 56 drivers, for a total of 70 kills, and still could not get it to unlock.

I admit this is my first time trying this memory card removal trick, so I may be doing something wrong. Any feedback on what I am doing wrong and how I can make this work would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexacion View Post
Finnan is correct on every point based upon my experiences.
Finnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
TomoyoN

TomoyoN's Gamercard

You might want to try waiting a bit longer on the loading screen as starting a BRAND NEW GAME actually takes longer to load a saved game... Or if you want just let it load completely before reinserting the memory card. Waiting for it to load completely should work for you BUT the reason I say do it on the loading screen is because if you wait too long there is a good chance you will get logged off your gamertag which will defeat the purpose of this endeavor...

I updated Step 5...

To make it more understandable... From what I can gather the reason this works is that when the game is loading/starting a brand new game it is trying to load your profile into memory to check your stats. Since the profile is on a memory card and is not accessible at the moment it continues doing what it was doing and loads/starts the game. Since it was not able to load up any of old stats it thinks you are starting fresh which allows you to unlock the achievement. BUT because of this you probably are required to do this in one sitting because if you load a game with your memory card still in it will probably load your OLD stats and doing this trick again will just make it like you are starting from scratch...

Please let me know if you have anymore questions or if it works out for you... Good luck...

Last edited by TomoyoN; 06-03-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Finnan

Finnan's Gamercard
I have tried 3 more times, once putting the card back in when the first in game cut scene starts just after the loading screen, once putting it in after i had loaded an old save and transported to guanare, and once not putting it back in at all (you could keep playing so I thought I'd try it).

None of these have worked. However, I have noticed that on TrueAchievements, you mention you have received confirmation from other people saying this works, but that the timing has to be gotten just right. Would it be possible to expand on exactly what the correct timing is? Or am I just really bad at this?

Quote:
Old 06-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #5
JaredFrost

I can confirm this did work for me.

My first attempt failed, my router lets me block access to IPs, so what I did different from you was block access to EA servers

1: I blocked all access to EA servers(159.153.234.195) for my xbox
2: Cleared my cache again
3: Started up Mercs 2 and installed the update again
4: Pulled the USB stick at Press Start after the intro
5: Loaded a really old save game I had(pretty sure it was created post patch)
6: Waited till the save was completely loaded then connected my USB stick again
7: Checked Guide, was still connected and my GS was not 0.
8: Went to some place to snipe 50 guys, I think it was the same place Finnan went to(VZ Drivers and Russian Sniper)
9: Success.

I didn't have to delete any old saves or anything. Blocking the EA servers may or may not have helped, but it didn't hurt.
@OP: Thanks a bunch I can finally put this game on the shelf and never play it again.
JaredFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
TomoyoN

TomoyoN's Gamercard

@JaredFrost - I do not recall if I was connected to EA's servers or not... I will add this tidbit to the original post.

@Finnan - Well since nothing else seems to work for you, you might try if it is possible for you to do what JaredFrost did and not be connected to EA's servers. If I remember correctly a method to do this without blocking IP's was to not to connect to XBL until you on the main menu (don't quote me on that)...
Old 06-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Finnan

Finnan's Gamercard
Well, that did it for me! Here is what finally worked:
  1. I disconnected my internet from my xbox, so I was completely offline.
  2. I loaded up the game and removed the memory card at the "Press Start" screen
  3. Loaded up my saved game and let it load up all the way
  4. Once the game was loaded, I put the memory card back in, then reconnected my internet and logged into XBL
  5. Summoned transport to my favorite spot for sniping drivers (Bridge just west of Guanare)
  6. Sniped the drivers in the first 2 cars that were already sitting on the bridge and got the achievement on the second kill
I'm sure this means it was saving my progress in some roundabout way to give it to me on the second kill of this session, but those 2 literally came after nearly a thousand other kills and many many hours trying for this (probably about 250-300 kills just these last couple days trying these methods). This is the same save I've loaded several times recently to try for this with no luck, so I believe the not connecting to EA's servers is a big key here (mostly since that was the missing piece for me to get it ).

Thanks again! This achievement has been really bugging me for months now, and I'm really glad to have it out of the way!

Quote:
Old 06-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #8
Philosopher

Finally got this!!!

First of all i want to say thanks to TomoyoN for adapting new way to pass the glitches in EA games for this game! Man i really appreciated for this one!!!

And now my story. I become a victim of this game and personally of this achievement a long time ago. I tried everything to get this achievement and kill i think thousands of drivers, but everything was pointless. Today i did AoT 40 day and was super excited about this and after this my first thought was "what if this method works on Mercenaries"? And came here and on T.A., and i saw this guide. I start to try and did everything like it was said in the guide but after 5 different sessions i thought i'll will give up. And i thought that i just don't have try this method being absolutely off-line right from start of the game, i decide to test it last time, AND I FINALLY GOT IT!!! Did everything like previews tries but absolutely off-line, and its finally worked on 48 kill. I kinda sad i will not have date on the achievement, but i gained it fair and i like every one else who get it using this method deserves it hundred times!

Just want to say thanks to those mates who found this method, the are real heroes of mine!!! And EA is fucking bastards that they do nothing about their broken games and gamers must found their own ways to get what they deserved and hard work for!
Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Frankie Godskin

Frankie Godskin's Gamercard
TomoyoN, thank you a thousand times for helping with this. I've wanted this glitched achievement off my gamercard for three years now. I tried your solution last night, and the first time it didn't work. The second time I tried it, I disconnected from Live (and EA's servers), and the achievement finally unlocked. Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
TheyCallMePops

TheTexasGiant's Gamercard
Thank You!

Thanks for posting this great guide! About a month ago I was talking to one of my friends and telling him about this game and how this achievement is glitched. He told me about this method and told me to see if anyone had posted anything about this method for this game. The day after he told me about that I checked the forums and to my surprise I found this forum. That was about a month ago and I just got around to doing this. Thanks for posting this on the forums and now this achievement forever on my gamertag. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
craigyb78

Send a message via MSN to craigyb78

Craig Buchan's Gamercard
I got this achievement today by disconnecting from xbox live. Took a while but got it.
craigyb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
creech42

creech42's Gamercard

Finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomoyoN View Post
THIS METHOD IS FOR THOSE WHO ARE CURRENTLY GLITCHED OR THINK THEY ARE GLITCHED [Theories on why/how this achievement gets screwed up haven't been proven to 100% but for those that are starting this game fresh try and get this achievement ASAP]
First I'd like to thank the academy, my parents... Wait wrong speech. I too thought this was to be a blight on my 1000/1000 goal (to the point of listing it on my completed list anyway). But I must say your method worked. After killing who knows how many drivers it finally unlocked. I tried it all the different ways listed and Finnan's was the one that did it. The only difference is it took about 40 kills and I did it at the airport because it seems to be easier if a little slower. My plan was a hybrid of the two. I had a game that I had started way back when I was trying for this achievement. It was a game that was started for the sole purpose of getting this achievement and has logged more driver kills by sniping that I even know. Anyway I decided since it was new to follow TomoyoN's way and get a save to the pirate level and try his method. I killed about 60-70 drivers but no achievement. As despair set it in I thought I would try Finnan's method at that mission. So I grappled a UP helicopter during the mission and flew to the airport. I then called in a Chinese sniper kit and shot drivers. The achievement popped around 40. I was not connected to the EA servers either. So I now have a two year gap in achievements for this game! My method.

1. I disconnected my internet from my xbox, so I was completely offline.
  2. I loaded up the game and removed the memory card at the "Press Start" screen.
  3. Loaded up my saved game and let it load up all the way
  4. Once the game was loaded, I put the memory card back in, then reconnected my internet and logged into XBL.
  5. Summoned transport to my favorite spot for sniping drivers (Airport under UP control and hostile) during the jugs transport mission.
  6. Sniped the drivers as they pulled up and it popped around 40 or so.
P.S. I'm not sure the red sniper gun works. The UP guys have it and I was using it at first with no luck.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
Metaraon

Metaraon's Gamercard
gonna try this soon, i have to get further in the game cause i had to start over. I have tried every method to get this and they all failed so maybe this one will work, its worth a shot. I do have a new xbox so maybe that will help too lol, there has also been word on other sites that this achievement has been patched so im going to try and get it without this method first and if it wont pop ill clear cache and reload save trying this method. so we'll see and ill post my results. this is by far this biggest challenge ive come across when it comes to getting any achievement.

Edit: Ok so this method worked for me!!!

I tried getting it before method and it didnt work, so i did this:

1 - Moved gamertag to flashdrive/memory card
2 - Cleared cache
3 - Disconnected from xbox live
4 - Started game and took out memory card at start screen
5 - Loaded my save and inserted memory card after it was completly loaded
6 - connected to xbox live and then denied the game update that showed up
7 - went on a killing spree

I died after 25 kills by accident but after 25 more kills it unlocked so dying shouldn't matter.

Good luck!!

Last edited by Metaraon; 08-13-2011 at 10:50 PM. Reason: update
Metaraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
idleblue

idleblue's Gamercard
i don't know i really had high hopes after seeing all the methods listed but i've tried them all and still no achievement. after nearly 3 years its still kind of depressing seeing that 39 of 40 achievements and 990 gs

just an update: tried all this again when i got a new xbox recently and still no luck. finally tried one last time completely offline and it worked!!! i really wanted the time stamp but i'll take what i can get. what a relief to have this done after 4 years

Last edited by idleblue; 02-03-2013 at 06:32 PM. Reason: update
idleblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #15
SliverPL

SliverPL's Gamercard
I just wanna say THANK YOU !!!
SliverPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #16
luis207

luis207's Gamercard
Thank you so much this method worked for me for this achievement and highway to hell. finally 100% and dont have to touch it ever again
Old 05-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
Mgd226921

Mgd226921's Gamercard
tomo ur the fucking man dude. appreciate it got it right at 50. do it offline and do everything like he did, you will get this achievement. ive sniped at least 2000 peolple before trying this.
Mgd226921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 AM   #18
Ravenousguy

HYBRID HIVE's Gamercard

I dunno why this wont wanna work for me.
I started a new game from scratch offline, did the usb trick at the start menu, cleared my cache, everything!

Still nothing!
Old 08-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #19
Ravenousguy

HYBRID HIVE's Gamercard

YES! success!!

Well this time i did the same steps as everyone else has tried, but this time i only sniped hostile UP drivers. Sure enough it finally unlocked!

From my experience it seems that only hostile enemies count. I've killed thousands of VZ drivers but never got it.
Thanks to everyonr who figured out how to finally get this glitched achievement!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #20
Alice2183

Alice2183's Gamercard
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I determined from everyone's comments that the most likely factor that fixed the glitch was the disconnection from Xbox Live. I just got this achievement by doing the following:

1. Unplug ethernet cable
2. Load save
3. Plug in cable and connect to Live (because I wanted the time stamp)
4. Go to UP territory and lure enemies around the circular tanks with stairs
5. Snipe 50 hostile drivers

Seems like the biggest thing is being disconnected from Xbox Live when you load your save so that you don't connect to the EA server. The enemies may need to be hostile and attacking you as well. I didn't clear my cache or do the thing with the USB, so that doesn't seem to be necessary. Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought I'd post this for anyone who doesn't want to go through more hassle than necessary.
Alice2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
TomoyoN

TomoyoN's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice2183 View Post
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! I determined from everyone's comments that the most likely factor that fixed the glitch was the disconnection from Xbox Live. I just got this achievement by doing the following:

1. Unplug ethernet cable
2. Load save
3. Plug in cable and connect to Live (because I wanted the time stamp)
4. Go to UP territory and lure enemies around the circular tanks with stairs
5. Snipe 50 hostile drivers

Seems like the biggest thing is being disconnected from Xbox Live when you load your save so that you don't connect to the EA server. The enemies may need to be hostile and attacking you as well. I didn't clear my cache or do the thing with the USB, so that doesn't seem to be necessary. Maybe I just got lucky, but I thought I'd post this for anyone who doesn't want to go through more hassle than necessary.
If u didn't have to unplug ur USB then you were not glitched in the first place and could have done it in the normal course of the game. The reason you have to pull out ur memory card or USB was to force the game not to load your statistics for the game (which is stored on your gamercard which is stored on the memory card / usb stick).
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
Alice2183

Alice2183's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomoyoN View Post
If u didn't have to unplug ur USB then you were not glitched in the first place and could have done it in the normal course of the game. The reason you have to pull out ur memory card or USB was to force the game not to load your statistics for the game (which is stored on your gamercard which is stored on the memory card / usb stick).
That's possible since I have no idea if I had done work on this achievement in the past. It's been a while since I played this game because I encountered so many problems with bugs. You have any idea how this glitch happens in the first place?
Alice2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Fueled by Rage

Fueled by Rage's Gamercard
Is there any indication that this method works? I tried 3 or 4 times but nothing!
I tried a similiar method on the 40th day,after about the 4th try I got it to work and the indication was it reset all your game stats back to zero.

EDIT: Never mind. Got it last night; Went offline,cleared my cache and did the memory card thing. Popped around 47.

Last edited by Fueled by Rage; 11-18-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Fueled by Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
Vaancor

Send a message via AIM to Vaancor

Vaancor's Gamercard
Finally sat down and got this achievment out of the way! I've tried several times, finally tried again with the ethernet cord pulled out and had it pop right at 50.

To be clear;
1. Moved Gamertag to Memory Unit
2. Cleared Cache
3. Unplugged Ethernet
4. Started the game from the dashboard
5. Waited till the "Push Start" came up, yanked out MU and pressed start.
6. Mashed A through all the prompts and hit Continue
7. Waited until the save was completely loaded and put the MU back in.
8. Drove to the UP airport and acquired the shots (Along with dying at least 3-4 times)

Finally the achievement popped, of course since I was offline there's no time stamp but quite frankly, don't care. Just happy to have it completed. Now to get that stupid Aces High then I'm done!

Sure you've read this a lot TomoyoN but thanks a lot, you're the man!

Take my love, take my land. Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.
Vaancor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
xxJUSTINxx

OddFull Metal's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaancor View Post
Finally sat down and got this achievment out of the way! I've tried several times, finally tried again with the ethernet cord pulled out and had it pop right at 50.

To be clear;
1. Moved Gamertag to Memory Unit
2. Cleared Cache
3. Unplugged Ethernet
4. Started the game from the dashboard
5. Waited till the "Push Start" came up, yanked out MU and pressed start.
6. Mashed A through all the prompts and hit Continue
7. Waited until the save was completely loaded and put the MU back in.
8. Drove to the UP airport and acquired the shots (Along with dying at least 3-4 times)

Finally the achievement popped, of course since I was offline there's no time stamp but quite frankly, don't care. Just happy to have it completed. Now to get that stupid Aces High then I'm done!

Sure you've read this a lot TomoyoN but thanks a lot, you're the man!
Might have to try this as this is my last achievement.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #26
mastermac07

mastermac07's Gamercard
welp looks like im gonna have to dust off the game n give this a try
mastermac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 04:28 PM   #27
xxJUSTINxx

OddFull Metal's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Finally got around to doing this and it worked. After so many damn years I 1k'd this game.