PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Alan Wake > The Signal
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
Lex Talionis

LexTalionis2277's Gamercard
What a blatant Verizon advertisement!

Man what a big logo on that phone AND
Zane: Can you hear me? Can you hear me now?

Lex Talionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
N3xus Gam3r

Send a message via Skype™ to N3xus Gam3r

Noxington's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=247473

but yeah...it was funny
Old 07-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Lex Talionis

Well look at that. There was already a thread about it.

Guess that settles that. Move Along, There's nothing to see here.

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 07-30-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:20 AM   #4
davidmerrell

davidmerrell's Gamercard
Why are people making a big deal out of this? Obviously Verizon sponsored this game. As did Energizer. All throughout the campaing you are picking up energizer batteries for the flashlight. Whats the problem with it? Its done in every single movie that is made. i dont hear people bitching about that.
davidmerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Bastado

Bastado's Gamercard
lol...

I actually didn't really take notice of the 'advertisement' until my second playthrough of the dlc. To be honest, once I did actually allow the phrase to enter my thought process, I ended up more dissappointed that Zane didn't say "Good" after.

I though it was cleaver....Cheers Remedy! Loved the game, and the dlc!
Bastado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Lex Talionis

David, it's not really a problem. It's part of modern culture. I actually laughed. But man was it blatant. Verizon's logo was rather huge and on both sides of the phone.

I mean, I saw the logo on the phone and thought hey look an in game ad. Then they showed it again when the phone flipped and it showed the red home page. I thought ok they're laying it on thick. Then Zane said that line and I laughed.

It immediately reminded me of ET and Reese's Pieces. You know that famous shot of ET and Elliot sharing a piece of candy was supposed to be of the M on an M&M, but Mars wanted too much money. Instead they used the newly created (4 years old at the time) Hershey's Reese's Pieces as an alternative without a logo launching them to great popularity. (oh man I'm a nerd, and apparently a big fan of Reese's Pieces.)

The only complaint I would have is that it took me out of the game for a second, but it wasn't a big deal. It was just in your face, here's an ad, which I found funny more than anything else.

Last edited by Lex Talionis; 07-31-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:27 AM   #7
RadiantViper

radiantviper's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Yeah, it was pretty odd.

But when you think about it, it's actually a pretty shitty advertisement. Alan has to go all over the place trying to get a good signal. What kind of phone service doesn't have coverage in evil lake-based dimensions?
RadiantViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
Lex Talionis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantViper View Post
Yeah, it was pretty odd.

But when you think about it, it's actually a pretty shitty advertisement. Alan has to go all over the place trying to get a good signal. What kind of phone service doesn't have coverage in evil lake-based dimensions?
Haha LOL, that's another reason I laughed... I was also thinking why would they be so blatant with the advertising when the whole point of the DLC was that the Signal was weak.... More to the point, after Zane said the Can you hear me, I was thinking Oh that's why Zane and Wake can't hear each other. They're trying to connect via the Verizon Network.

Lollercopter

Old 08-02-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Elite Ranger

ElitE RangeR118's Gamercard
I don't mind it it adds to the realism in my eyes
Elite Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #10
Typeonegativ71

Typeonegativ71's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
Haha LOL, that's another reason I laughed... I was also thinking why would they be so blatant with the advertising when the whole point of the DLC was that the Signal was weak.... More to the point, after Zane said the Can you hear me, I was thinking Oh that's why Zane and Wake can't hear each other. They're trying to connect via the Verizon Network.

Lollercopter
I felt the same way about the Energizer batteries in the first one--if they were long-lasting, why did I change them out every 20 seconds and go through 115+ in the game?

If I was directly involved with the product placement in the game, I would have had all the batteries scattered around the locations be the cheap Chinese-made batteries that always come packaged with toys and remotes and only last as long as it takes to turn the item on. Then have a limited number of Energizer batteries in supply chests and other rare locations with the Energizer lasting 10-20x longer than the default type. This would reinforce the value of the brand better in my opinion.
Typeonegativ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
Lex Talionis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typeonegativ71 View Post
I felt the same way about the Energizer batteries in the first one--if they were long-lasting, why did I change them out every 20 seconds and go through 115+ in the game?

If I was directly involved with the product placement in the game, I would have had all the batteries scattered around the locations be the cheap Chinese-made batteries that always come packaged with toys and remotes and only last as long as it takes to turn the item on. Then have a limited number of Energizer batteries in supply chests and other rare locations with the Energizer lasting 10-20x longer than the default type. This would reinforce the value of the brand better in my opinion.
That would have been a better ad....