PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dragon Age: Origins
Subscribe    Donate

Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Belmat22

Belmat22's Gamercard
Blight-Queller Achievement Fix!

Okay, well after Blight Queller being the only achievement in DA:O that I hadn't got, I decided to do some digging. This is less of a fix, more of a work-around, but it worked for me fine.

It turns out that Blight Queller worked fine before one of the title updates was released. So here's what to do:

• Delete the title updates. Go to System Settings on the Xbox Dashboard, then Memory. Highlight your primary memory unit, then press . Select 'Clear System Cache' from the menu.
  • Load up Dragon Age: Origins, and when it asks you to install the latest update, say no. This means you'll have to play offline, but that's not such a huge deal with this game.
  • Start a new game. I recommend using a Dwarven Noble, as there are a number of Darkspawn in the origins story for it.
  • Play through the game as per usual until you get to the Darkspawn attack on Denerim. Go to the Alienage, save, then tell your party to wait, as only main character kills count. Kill all the darkspawn you can, then reload the last save.
  • Repeat last step.
As the Darkspawn kills are written to a file seperate to your save file, reloading does not lose you the kills. However, when the title updates are deleted, so is this file, so you have to start again.
By the time I got to the Alienage I'd reached around 550 Dawkspawn kills. Playing on casual difficulty, with a level 25 character, I managed to kill every Dawkspawn in the Alienage... Which came to 62-64 each time. Keep with this method and this achievement will pop in no time.

NOTE: The reason I suggest starting a new game is that a lot of people have issues with the DRM, resulting in them not being able to play DLC offline, and therefore whilst offline games with DLC in them read as corrupt. By starting a new game you can play with no problems.
If you don't have any DLC, or have managed to get around the permissions problem with the DRM, then I can see no reason why this wouldn't work with an existing character.
Belmat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
TJIBS

TJIBS's Gamercard
Thanks for the diggin'... One question though... (silly one perhaps) what is DRM??
And is there a way to check how much Darkspawn your character killed so far??

I'll start grinding in the alienage now...
TJIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
TJIBS

TJIBS's Gamercard
And after 7 alienage runs the achievement popped... I didn't start a new character though... thanks for the help, this worked for me

Last edited by TJIBS; 08-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
Jamieironmaiden

JAMIEIRONMAIDEN's Gamercard
TYVM

After 4 playthroughs i wondered why i hadent yet killed 500 Darkspawn
Jamieironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
Belmat22

Belmat22's Gamercard
TJIBS:
Glad it helped you! DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. Basically it's the permissions which allow you to play the DLC. However, due to a fault, if you download the DLC via the Xbox Marketplace instead of the in-game menu then the permissions aren't transferred to the console, but kept on the server, resulting in a game save using DLC reading as corrupt unless the console is connected to the EA servers at the time.
There is a way to get around this which involves deleting all of your DLC and re-downloading them via the in-game menu, but this is very time-consuming, as you don't just have to download the main story packs, but also the individual items associated with those packs, as they have seperate permissions.

Hope that helped
Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #6
Seph

Ch0s3nOn3's Gamercard
Looks like I don't have to start a new character to do this, and I have a save just before the battle for Denerim.

I'll definitely be doing this tomorrow.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Seph

Ch0s3nOn3's Gamercard
After spending most of the afternoon in Denerim fighting hordes of Darkspawn, I can confirm that this method does indeed work. Blight-Queller is now mine.

I would have like a little more than 25G for the trouble it's caused though. ;-)

Cheers muchly.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #8
jonesat

jonesat's Gamercard
not too sure about this...i'm on my 11th alienage run and still nothing...

edit: lol of course, i do my 12th run and it pops up haha

Last edited by jonesat; 08-22-2010 at 06:59 PM.
jonesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:39 PM   #9
Seph

Ch0s3nOn3's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesat View Post

Yeah it took me a while to get as well. I had to do about 15 Alienage run throughs due to loading a save just before the battle of Denerim.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
TJIBS

TJIBS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmat22 View Post
TJIBS:
Glad it helped you! DRM stands for Digital Rights Management. Basically it's the permissions which allow you to play the DLC. However, due to a fault, if you download the DLC via the Xbox Marketplace instead of the in-game menu then the permissions aren't transferred to the console, but kept on the server, resulting in a game save using DLC reading as corrupt unless the console is connected to the EA servers at the time.
There is a way to get around this which involves deleting all of your DLC and re-downloading them via the in-game menu, but this is very time-consuming, as you don't just have to download the main story packs, but also the individual items associated with those packs, as they have seperate permissions.

Hope that helped
Thanks for explaining!! All these abbreviations have me puzzled sometimes So thanks again, i get it now!

For all the other folks, this method really works... If you have to do a lot of runs it only means you have killed enough of those bastards...
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #11
Belmat22

Belmat22's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesat View Post

Yeah, you have to bear in mind that when you delete the title updates the file that holds your Darkspawn kills is deleted too. Unfortunate, but it happens. So you have to kill 1000 from scratch.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 AM   #12
xXx dr1v3n xXx

xXx dr1v3n xXx's Gamercard
hmm, ok.. i'm in the process of completing my second play through... if i don't get the achievement this time around, i may give this a try. thanks for the info
xXx dr1v3n xXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
gjury

GrizzledVeteran's Gamercard
quick question: do u have to be successful in the alienage run-through or can u still die and then reload? that emissary is a bitch!

edit: nvm just got it a sec later lol!

Last edited by gjury; 08-24-2010 at 10:30 AM.
gjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
ugoindownsaka

ugoindownsaka's Gamercard
How far in is the attack on denerim dude? im just wondering how long it will take me to get to that point. i only have that and the darkspawn chrons to do and ive killed like 2500 across all play through so time to change tactic i feel. cheers
What the crocodile hat was that? There's no postbox, there's no shuttlecock and wheres the jelly giraffe!? Everytime that fruity acorn gets that alarm clock I want you to snowflake their teapot! Now you get out there and you play your palm trees off!
ugoindownsaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #15
TJIBS

TJIBS's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugoindownsaka View Post
How far in is the attack on denerim dude? im just wondering how long it will take me to get to that point. i only have that and the darkspawn chrons to do and ive killed like 2500 across all play through so time to change tactic i feel. cheers
The attack on denerim is the last quest of dragonage: origins... so at the end
Old 08-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
This is all so very complicated.

"Hit it"
Opiate42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
Belmat22

Belmat22's Gamercard
It's not really that complicated once you think about it, it just sounds like it.
The short of it is; get rid of the patch, the achievement will work.
Hopefully Bioware will come up with a proper fix, but until then, as far as I know, this is the only way to ensure you get it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:26 PM   #18
ExtremeRugburn

Extreme Rugburn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
From what is posted above it appears that what you are saying is that the achievement is not unlockable unless you delete the update? Is this true? I went through the entire Denerim sequence solo and killed multiple waves at the end plus I have another game more than half way through and I still havent gotten the achievement. I recently started another playthrough but if the above method is the only way to unlock it I would like a confirmation on that.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
Jakethemuss

Thepercenter's Gamercard
I've got the chevo for killing 500 darkspawn at the end of the first playthrough, does this still mean that Blight Queller won't unlock without clearing all updates?! A 3rd run through on this game doesn't sound like a soothing idea.

Currently looking to boost; Condemned 2, Crackdown co-op

Info for potential multiplayer pals; I am a UK brah so go by 'GMT'
Jakethemuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #20
Lord Nikecon

Lord Nikecon's Gamercard
Thumbs up

Thanks for this fix. It's the only achievement I'm missing, I'll be glad when I see it's finally 100%. (until the witch dlc lol )
Lord Nikecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #21
PseudoDuck

After failing to get this and the Master Warden achievement in my playthrough on Origins, I searched and found out about the glitch to do with the patch. My rogue had over 1500 kills by the end of Origins.

I played through Awakening and still nothing unlocked. Then I started a new character in Awakening (to get the level 20 warrior achievement) and after about 30 darkspawn kills the Master Warden achievement pops up.

I think the darkspawn kill count in Awakening is separate from the one in Origins (though it still carried over pre-patch). I've checked darkspawn kills on two different saves and it works out:
Origins - Post-coronation: 987 kills
Awakening - The Nest: 1462 kills

So my rogue killed 475 darkspawn in Awakening, then my newly created Warrior only needed another 25 kills to unlock the Master Warden achievement - which works out right, considering how early it unlocked.

So, if this works, I'll only need another 500 darkspawn kills in Awakening to unlock the Blight Queller achievement. Which will make it a lot easier than messing around deleting the cache to remove the patch and playing through the whole of Origins again.

Can anyone else confirm that just getting all the kills in multiple playthroughs of Awakening will unlock both Master Warden and Blight Queller?
PseudoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #22
SHIGSY

SHIGSY1979's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmat22 View Post
TJIBS:

Hope that helped
I cleared the cache but it keeps saying that all the dlc is corrupt. If you just delete all the dlc and redownload it ingame, can it work?

Last edited by SHIGSY; 09-26-2010 at 07:35 AM.
SHIGSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
Durdens Wrath

DURDENS WRATH's Gamercard
Is this still a problem after witch hunt was released?

Or is it solely a return to ostagar problem?

I have to say, I've rarely encountered such a buggy game
Durdens Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
bigdaddy68fb

BigDaddyfb68's Gamercard
I had completed 4 play through and made it a point to hold my team back on the last play through and still didn't get either 500/1000achievement

Thanks Belmat22 this post put an end to my DA frustration!!!!!

Last edited by bigdaddy68fb; 11-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.
bigdaddy68fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
Cincaid

Cincaid's Gamercard
Right now I'm probably half-way through my second playthrough, which is mostly speeding through to get the rest of the story related achievements. On my first playthrough I only got the 100 kills achievement, but I played as a healer so didn't get that many killing blows on Darkspawn which the achievements wants you to do.

This time around I'm playing a Rogue archer, and can mostly beat my team mates to the killing blow. Since I have all the DLC installed and running on this playthrough I don't really feel like doing the tip in the original post and start all over again (even if your tip is very good!).

My question is; is the 500 and 1000 kills achievement totally bugged, or can it still be achieved with the latest title update? I mean, can I still keep doing alienage at the end and get the achievement if I just let my group stand behind me while I kill stuff, or do I actually have to start all over without the title update installed?

Sorry if I'm confusing you, english is not my native language.
Cincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #26
Heroic Blanket

Heroic Blanket's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincaid View Post
Right now I'm probably half-way through my second playthrough, which is mostly speeding through to get the rest of the story related achievements. On my first playthrough I only got the 100 kills achievement, but I played as a healer so didn't get that many killing blows on Darkspawn which the achievements wants you to do.

This time around I'm playing a Rogue archer, and can mostly beat my team mates to the killing blow. Since I have all the DLC installed and running on this playthrough I don't really feel like doing the tip in the original post and start all over again (even if your tip is very good!).

My question is; is the 500 and 1000 kills achievement totally bugged, or can it still be achieved with the latest title update? I mean, can I still keep doing alienage at the end and get the achievement if I just let my group stand behind me while I kill stuff, or do I actually have to start all over without the title update installed?

Sorry if I'm confusing you, english is not my native language.
I got both the 150 and 500 kill achievements in my first play through on the latest patch. It is possible but it's still glitchy.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:39 PM   #27
Cod Master

raptormist's Gamercard
Thank you so much!!!

Colorado Avalanche
Cod Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Gold   Road Map - Silver   Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Worked for me. I deleted the patch by clearing the cache and then loaded up a save I had before the landsmeet. Headed to the Alienage and killed and killed, reloaded and killed. I was skeptical at first, but it popped after awhile.

Last edited by Xenolith666; 12-17-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #29
Shi Arekkusu

Shi Arekkusu's Gamercard
Thanks. The BioWare Forum was useless, I was scanning it for hours trying to find how to fix this :L
Shi Arekkusu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM   #30
More_Credible

Send a message via AIM to More_Credible

More Credible's Gamercard
Alright, I'm confused. Do you save after each time you go through a killing session? Or do you just reload (even if you die)?

I'm a level 20 rogue. And I'm having trouble getting kills by myself with that general there. Thank, in advance. I'm doing this strategy now as I type.

Florida Gators > You.
More_Credible is offline   Reply With Quote