Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Alpha Protocol
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
Ferocious
Banned User

One With The Shadows

Does it matter if a guard "thinks" he sees you and runs to your location and you do a "takedown" or not? I reloaded a few times til that didn't happen, but not sure if that matters or not since technically no one is alerted just suspicious and they then get "taken down" which you can only do "stealthy".

It's a fun achievement, I just don't want to waste unnecessary time if I don't have to.

Last edited by Ferocious; 06-02-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Ferocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #2
roulex

Roulex's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
From what I've seen, it counts if a guard's alertness level is yellow--if it's red then nada--restart checkpoint. Also, needless to say, if any non-silenced bullets are fired (by them or you) or an alarm is sounded, also nada.

roulex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Ferocious
Banned User

I'm sure it's in the instructions or I can tell if I do some trial and error, but where do you see a guards "alertness color"? Unless you are talking about when I choose the ability to have arrows over the enemies heads for a period of time. I didn't invest much into the stealth skill tree yet but after that mission (which was stealth-successful) I added a bit.. some of them like being able to sprint with no sound being emitted for 10 seconds sounds like it might be useful as well as does the one after it, evade.. well for the achievement any way).

Last edited by Ferocious; 06-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
Ferocious
Banned User

Well I tested it, I had a save where someone was "suspicious" ran over and I grabbed them and knocked them out... then I reloaded and had no one "suspicious" and both times I was told by my handler after the mission that there were no reports of anyone being there or something along those lines so I guess that's confirmation both were completely stealthy (and had less than 5 kills.. 2 elite guards and the heavy gunner with a well-placed headshot with the assault rifle that has a scope and was using silenced bullets).

Figured I'd let anyone else know who was wondering as well.

Last edited by Ferocious; 06-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
roulex

Roulex's Gamercard

Spending 5 points in the stealth tree is totally worth it, for any player in my opinion. It makes the awareness skill, the one you're talking about, always on so you can see where are all nearby enemies, their alert level, and what direction they are facing. Even for more aggressive characters it's a valuable asset, and for this achievement invaluable IMO.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roulex View Post
Spending 5 points in the stealth tree is totally worth it, for any player in my opinion. It makes the awareness skill, the one you're talking about, always on so you can see where are all nearby enemies, their alert level, and what direction they are facing. Even for more aggressive characters it's a valuable asset, and for this achievement invaluable IMO.
110% agree. The game has become far more managabe by having this skill on all the time. Coupled with high pistol skill and it's made a world of difference.

I can see this achievement being a bit of a pain but doable. Only really spotted a couple of missions it'd be possible on though. It's the only 5 kills bit that stumped me but it sounds like takedowns are ok as they aren't kills?

ponypo2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #7
roulex

Roulex's Gamercard

Any non-leathal means aren't kills--that basically means using a pistol with tranq darts, shock traps, or takedowns (with the B button, takedowns with the A button are kills)

Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Ahysates

The 3 missions (and there are ONLY 3 in the entire game, so you can't miss any) are:
1. Saudi Arabia, the airfield at night
2. Rome, CIA listening post
3. Moskow, Molotek

For the Molotek mission you have to interrogate Brayko to learn that Sergei Surkov is still in the weapons business. After you got this information Molotek will unlock as your final mission in the Russia chapter. This mission is VERY easy - if you have your stealth skill on maximum level. Don't attack anyone, just run & hide. When you confront Surkov you MUST make a deal with him (otherwise his bodyguard will attack you = red arrows).

Every other mission in the game has events that trigger red or yellow arrows.
Ahysates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Road Map - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahysates View Post
The 3 missions (and there are ONLY 3 in the entire game, so you can't miss any) are:
3. Moskow, Molotek

For the Molotek mission you have to interrogate Brayko to learn that Sergei Surkov is still in the weapons business. After you got this information Molotek will unlock as your final mission in the Russia chapter. This mission is VERY easy - if you have your stealth skill on maximum level. Don't attack anyone, just run & hide. When you confront Surkov you MUST make a deal with him (otherwise his bodyguard will attack you = red arrows).

That's excellent information mate, thank you. I'll be going for this one on another playthrough as I messed up early on but having a list of these is great. Thank you.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #10
Kester

General Rushen's Gamercard
Quote:
3. Moskow, Molotek
there's actually another mission, in Taiwan, where you have to investigate the data trail (or something). It's the one with the servers. There arent any triggers and can be done with stealth only
Kester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Ferocious
Banned User

Well I have been playing RDR and this game since I got this, so I am in Saudi Arabia now in Alpha Protocol. So far I did the airfield completely stealth (meaning without alerting any guards) and the Nari the weapons dealer completely stealth (both with less than 5 kills; in the airfield I did take out the two elites and a gunner.).

btw I am doing my first playthrough on Hard so sometimes it takes a few reloads being they randomly spot you for no reason when you are behind cover, out of site, not making any noise or even moving, etc.. It doesn't happen often but it happens once in a while so for those going for this achievement on Hard, just make multiple saves and save at every checkpoint just to be on the safe side.

This game is a lot of fun, once I get one more completely stealthy mission to finish up the achievement, I am going to play around with the guns and gadgets more.

What people who have beaten the game already should do is compile a list of missions you can not complete stealthy (ie, tank attacks, helicopter attacks, alarm for getting the info you need, etc..). So far in Saudi Arabia the weapons cache one and I'm assuming the last mission being I heard of one with a tank and I have yet to encounter it and I only have one mission left in Saudi Arabia you won't be able to go full-blown stealth for the achievement.

I did the entire weapons cache completely stealth and then I tap into the satellite towards the end of it and the alarm goes off and guards come rushing lol. So don't waste your time reloading on that one if a guard gets alerted (arrow over head turns red).

And to whomever said about putting points into stealth I saw that as I looked at the skill tree. That's the next skill I will unlock, I need one more point for it which I should have during or after my next mission. I put points into other things to start off and after my first completely stealth mission I decided to add more points to it after actually taking a quick look at the skill tree.

Last edited by Ferocious; 06-02-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #12
Darth Rinoa

darth rinoa's Gamercard
Quote:
3. Moskow, Molotek

Not excatly, i've gone through the Nasri mission in Saudi without a single yellow or red, and that was from speaking aggresve to the guard at the gates then stealthing the whole way through, even against Nasri's elites and I did it on hard and with Veteran class picked. I'm going to Rome now to do the CIA mission and see if I unlock the achievement. I'll post again if I get it

Last edited by Darth Rinoa; 06-03-2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: rewording
Darth Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
Darth Rinoa

darth rinoa's Gamercard
ok so i was wrong about nasri

Darth Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #14
Tom Pladgett

Brutopian's Gamercard
Another mission which is fairly simple to stealth through is the Grand Hotel mission in Taipei, although you need a high Shadow Operative skill (Expert or Master)

In the beginning, when the retard Heck creates the distraction, activate Shadow Operative stepping out of the elevator and quickly knock out the three security guys before one of them runs for the alarm. Even though they go red, they never actually detect you.

Later in the mission, simply screw over Heck and do not erase his NSB file when prompted, since that will create an alarm. You may have to use Shadow Operative to move through the final lobby, but it is definitely doable. Before this mission, I'd only managed to sneak through the Saudi airfield, and after this, I did the CIA listening post and the achievement popped.

EDIT: Disregard above information. I must have registered another mission as stealthy (probably the Taipei Warehouse), since the Grand Hotel definitely does not work.

Last edited by Tom Pladgett; 06-10-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Because I'm full of crap.
Tom Pladgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #15
ponypo2001

ponypo2001's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pladgett View Post
Another mission which is fairly simple to stealth through is the Grand Hotel mission in Taipei, although you need a high Shadow Operative skill (Expert or Master)

In the beginning, when the retard Heck creates the distraction, activate Shadow Operative stepping out of the elevator and quickly knock out the three security guys before one of them runs for the alarm. Even though they go red, they never actually detect you.

Later in the mission, simply screw over Heck and do not erase his NSB file when prompted, since that will create an alarm. You may have to use Shadow Operative to move through the final lobby, but it is definitely doable. Before this mission, I'd only managed to sneak through the Saudi airfield, and after this, I did the CIA listening post and the achievement popped.
Great post. I'd wondered about this level too as I didn't have much trouble staying out of sight till erasing the data and the part where they appear to be alert at the start. It makes sense though as they are only alerted to Heck not to Thorton. Thanks for the confirm on this one.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #16
Ferocious
Banned User

So to be clear, Yellow = alerted enemies? Even though they don't hunt you down so they technically aren't sure that you are there not to mention who you are, etc..

I've read conflicting things. I should have it soon but regardless I would like to clarify if all enemies have to remain green other than someone else alerting the enemies not you (like mentioned above in that one mission).

It's not hard to do, I mean it's no doing platinum events on Prototype (that took some serious skill and the controls for it were spot on if you know what you're doing in it) but in Alpha Protocol it can be random (enemies turning yellow for no reason and sometimes even red) so eventually retrying when that happens will get you the achievement. But I'd like to be clear on if yellow is okay for certain or not okay for certain so I don't waste unnecessary time.

Thanks in advance to whoever can confirm this either way.

Last edited by Ferocious; 06-04-2010 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #17
Ferocious
Banned User

Well it appears either Yellow don't cut it or one of the missions I am sure I didn't alert anyone wasn't meant to be one of the ones you could fully stealth. So to be on the safe side, stay away from Yellow because I just got the achievement after completing the CIA Listening Post in Rome.

If it helps here's the missions I fully stealthed: Airfield in Saudi Arabia (might have had a yellow but definitely no reds.. I wasn't worrying about Yellows because it wasn't clear if that mattered or not), Nari the weapons dealer, then again maybe when you catch up with him it counts as being seen so it doesn't register because I was very stealthy on that one with only about two points in my stealth tree no less. Then in Russia I did the capturing Surkov mission completely stealth and made a deal with him (I did it one other time to kill him for the achievement and to see how it goes, I got to beat down his bodyguard, and I also did that yet again however I made a deal with him at the very end after getting through his bodyguard and security forces to see how that played out), and now in Rome.. I just finished the CIA Listening Post and got the achievement and found some great items as well, one that will save me 92k that I was going to buy and reloaded it and got a different item that is geared more towards stealth that I haven't seen on the market yet so I think I will stick with that save, both got me the "One With the Shadows" perk and obviously I got the achievement. I didn't have the ability where you can always see where your enemies are for the first two mentioned so it's possible a yellow popped up but never pursued but certainly no reds.

So it's either you definitely can't get any yellow, the Nari one won't register because he acknowledges you taking out his guards (even though I met the no killing more than blah blah requirements), or both.

If anyone else can confirm what they've noticed, we can pin-point this for others as it seems to be the "hardest" achievement for this game due to the sometimes random yellows & reds (well on Hard difficulty any way) and of course there's very few gadgets you can use.

Ahhh now I get to run & gun it for a few missions then probably go back to being stealthy or mix it up a bit.. at least not being stealthy on every single mission the whole way through only to find some scripted event prevents an entirely stealthy mission (which is to be expected, this is a great game without a doubt I'm having fun with it).

Last edited by Ferocious; 06-04-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 PM   #18
Mike Conno

orig mike conno's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferocious View Post
Well it appears either Yellow don't cut it or one of the missions I am sure I didn't alert anyone wasn't meant to be one of the ones you could fully stealth. So to be on the safe side, stay away from Yellow because I just got the achievement after completing the CIA Listening Post in Rome.
I think you might be on to something here, because I have the Perk Unseen Presence but missed the One with the Shadows Achievement.

You get the Perk after completing 5 missions killing less than 5 Enemies and no alarms raised, but for the achievement, no enemies can be alerted to your presence. So I must have knocked them out before they could raise the alarm, but not before they were on to me.

Now I got to do it again.
Mike Conno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #19
Chuppernicus

chuppernicus's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Conno View Post
I think you might be on to something here, because I have the Perk Unseen Presence but missed the One with the Shadows Achievement.

You get the Perk after completing 5 missions killing less than 5 Enemies and no alarms raised, but for the achievement, no enemies can be alerted to your presence. So I must have knocked them out before they could raise the alarm, but not before they were on to me.

Now I got to do it again.
That's the same boat I'm in, sorta. I dont have the Unseen Presence perk though. Oh well. I'll try it again another time.

-Insert something creative here-
( that doesn't include stats that no one really cares about or some poorly photoshop'd image with your name stuck in it. )

Last edited by Chuppernicus; 07-17-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Chuppernicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #20
Ethereal235

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal235

Zero132132's Gamercard
For this one, I tried to stealth the Al-Samad airfield level, the G-22 warehouse, the CIA listening post, and stopping Surkov's escape. I got it on the 4th of these levels. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that in two of them, I got a yellow alert level at some point but chose to keep going.

I suspect that alert level isn't all there is to it. I think in one of them, they looked my way and concealment took a moment longer to kick in then it should have. In the other, I think one of them saw a corpse and was running up to it before I subdued him (with the shadow operative perk and the right armor, it's easy to do). Maybe being seen was different than having a body detected or something. Not really sure.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
TriRock

TriRock's Gamercard

Awards Showcase RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 1   Knife in the Dark Challenge Club - Tier 1   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 3   RPG!!! Challenge Club - Tier 2   You're DOOMED Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - The Pants Party   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   You ARE the Controller Challenge Club - Tier 1   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 1   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 2   Can This Make Phone Calls? Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 41 (more» ...)
I stealthed the airfield, the CIA listening post, the G-22 warehouse and Surkov's escape. I was surprised it didn't pop in Taipei, but it did unlock after finishing the Surkov mission. I had in all missions one or more guard's alertness change to yellow, but never red (or so I thought). So either one guard 'turned red' a fraction of a second before he got hit by a tranq (which would be too short a time for me to notice) or the achievement is somewhat glitchy.

Achievement #1000: Seek and Destroy - #10000: Fully Evolved - #20000: Data Security

Overachiever: 55 points - 16 Staff Clubs - C/F Clubs 10-5-1

TriRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #22
Kyoraku

Squad 8 Kyoraku's Gamercard
I just got this achievement. It's fine to use tranq darts and to use a knockout takedown, but apparently placed shock traps don't work because the shockee becomes alerted before keeling over.

A word of advice - at the last section of the G22 warehouse in Taipei, (The bit after you open the warehouse door and go to where the trucks are) you can avoid having to knock out even one of the guards if your stealth is high enough. It'd probably be best if you have it maxed, but I was able to do it at near maxed since I had Expert Shadow Operative. Crouch down and start out of the door. Stop behind cover and wait for the bulk of the guards to not be facing you, then sneak to near the edge of the truck that's at the corner. Wait for the G22 agent to start the other way, then go around the corner and activate Shadow Operative. If you keep moving and make a beeline for the ladder, you should juuuust make it. I don't know if I was just lucky, but the agents didn't notice me when I climbed up the ladder or when I jumped down onto the truck's roof and left the area.

Granted, since you go so quick through this section using this method, you might pass up a couple goodies in the trucks, particularly the locked one. The goodies in the open truck I mentioned hiding behind in the strategy might be doable, but I didn't find that out.
Kyoraku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #23
Lord Simmons

Lord Simmons's Gamercard
I completed bugging the airfield without being seen. No one's marker even turned yellow. I didn't fire any shots tranq or otherwise and I did not kill anyone, and yet Mina still said I had been spotted. Is she programmed to say that or did I do something wrong?
Lord Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #24
SamuraiSwede

Samurai Swede's Gamercard
This achievement is starting to piss me off...

I just finished the Taiwan G22 mission without getting noticed or killing anyone. (Only Knockouts and Tranqs) and I also did the Rome CIA Listening post, AND the Moscow one... But no achievement =(

I made sure to look at the reports after each mission to double check if I was alerted or If anyone was killed... and each time i only saw "0"

It's driving me crazy!

(Its under 5 kills PER mission? Right? Not accumulative?)
SamuraiSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #25
Dejackso

Dejackso's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSwede View Post
This achievement is starting to piss me off...

I just finished the Taiwan G22 mission without getting noticed or killing anyone. (Only Knockouts and Tranqs) and I also did the Rome CIA Listening post, AND the Moscow one... But no achievement =(

I made sure to look at the reports after each mission to double check if I was alerted or If anyone was killed... and each time i only saw "0"

It's driving me crazy!

(Its under 5 kills PER mission? Right? Not accumulative?)
I think it's 5 per mission, but I'm not sure. I can tell you that the most common reason that people don't get this achievement is due to using Tranqs. Sometimes the game will just decide that the guard noticed you. I just tried to not use any takedowns at all and played it on an easier difficulty.
Dejackso is offline   Reply With Quote