PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dragon Age: Origins > Golems of Amgarrak
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Wreckon Dracgon

Wreckon Dracgon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   Gamerscore League Season 5 Winner   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Score League First Place, Season 3   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter   Gamer Score League First Place, Season 2   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 12 (more» ...)
Grim Reaper Achievement Tips Mage & Warrior

Grim Reaper Achievement Tips – Mage & Warrior
Yes I know there are threads already up with tricks and glitches and some useful tips as well. But for those that may not find those helpful, may not want to back track through Origins for some Tomes, or spend time running around like a little 8-year old on a Chocolate Milk high, I offer a way below to destroy the Harvester with ease if you are using a Mage, or Warrior. There are already several threads on tips for Rogues and as I don’t use them, or care to play through a fourth time as a Rogue I’d take their advice if you're having trouble.

First I will start with the easiest…

Mage
Use a Manual of Focus, or Memories of the First Warden and redo your skills making sure you have 60 in Magic, 50 in Dexterity, and 50 in Constitution, everything else into Will Power.

Make sure you max out Vitality and Stamina/Will Power Skills

Specializations
Arcane Warrior, Spirit Healer, Battlemage

Key Spells & Talents
Draining Aura
Hand of Winter
Stoic
Combat Magic
Shimmering Shield
Fade Shroud
Walking Nightmare

Equipment and Strategy
If you’ve finished Awakenings and have the Armor of the Sentinel, or the Golem Armor I’d equip those and the Brightblood Sword (from Darkspawn Chronicles) and the Heartwood Shield. If you don’t have these you’ll still be fine. If you do equip them and have the Sword equipped with all types of elemental runes Paragon if possible. That way your sword will have +7 Poison, +7 Cold, +7 Lightning, and +7 Fire. Then for your armor go with two Paragon Stout runes, and a Paragon of Cold Iron.

If you don’t have these items just get as close to them as you can. Now for the fun part start the battle using Fade Shroud and Combat Magic which will limit the damage you receive greatly. With your Dexterity at 50 and Combat Magic active you should not miss while striking the Harvester. When he brings out Skeletons use Walking Nightmare, then activate Draining Aura and Stoic. Any Skeletons not affected by Walking Nightmare will be damaged by Draining Aura which will in turn heal you but drains Mana. Stoic in turn will turn any damage you receive into Mana making you an indestructible force. Just be sure to have Shimmering Shield or Fade Shroud active whenever possible. Don’t bother having both active at the same time. One or the other that way you constantly have one on hand to limit your damage greatly.

The battle will be over in seconds, I didn’t even bother with hitting the switches, he was in his second form within a minute, and once in the second form with all five of us on him he died at the pile of bones before any additional skeletons were on hand.

Warrior
Use a Manual of Focus or Memories of the First Warden and redo your skills making sure you have 60 in Strength, 18 in Dexterity, and 100 in Constitution, everything else into Will Power.

Make sure you max out Vitality and Stamina/Will Power Skills

Specializations
Berserker, Spirit and most importantly Guardian

Key Spells & Talents
Berserk
Resilience
Constraint
Beyond the Veil
Blessing of the Fade
Guardian’s Shield
Fortifying Presence
Aura of the Stalwart Defender
Carapace
Bulwark of the Ages

Equipment and Strategy
Again the weapons and armor should be the same, or as close to the weapons and armor listed above as possible. If you don’t have Brightblood use a Poison on your weapon instead.

Begin the fight by using Berserk, Resilience, Constraint, and Beyond the Veil, that way you will be stronger, faster, regenerate health, and while Beyond the Veil is active take a lot less damage. Then use Aura of the Stalwart, Fortifying Presence, and then the best of them all use Guardian’s Shield on the Golem. With your Constitution at 100 the Guardian Shield will make the Golem immune to all attacks. Fortifying Presence again with your Constitution at 100 will make your teammates able to survive easily. The shield is available every 30 seconds and with Fortifying Presence and the Golem healing them your teammates will be fine. For you just use Carapace and Bulwark and you’ll be immune to all damage. Now you may miss every now and then on attacks with your weak 18 Dexterity but don’t worry when you do connect it will count (you can activate perfect striking and it helps but not much). Also be sure to use the Guardian’s Shield on Jerrik and Snug. Whenever you activate Carapace just look at your friends and see who needs the Guardian Shield most. During the second face Snug has the ability to stun the Harvester keeping him still making the fight over in seconds.

Okay that’s all I have… back to Awakenings I go.

Last edited by Wreckon Dracgon; 09-16-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Wreckon Dracgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
Eddy Kemp

Eddy Kemp's Gamercard
Hey Wreckon,

I'm surprised no one has responded to your excellent post yet. Either way, I'm planning to try your Mage strategy out tonight so I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for the tips.
Eddy Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 AM   #3
Eddy Kemp

Eddy Kemp's Gamercard
Whew, well, it wasn't a flawless effort on my part but I did manage to do it on my first attempt, albeit everyone in my party was dead for a majority of the 2nd phase and I was micromanaging my health and lyrium potions pretty heavily, but ultimately the Stoic and Draining Aura were what came through for this strategy to work.
Eddy Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
FrankXnBeanZ

Just started this DLC ( import char. ) & was curious to know how to use the "Memories of the First Warden" ?? I have it in my inv. , but I cant seem to do anything with it. Do I need to change the stats Before I import the character & start DLC ???

thanks in advance ,

FnB
FrankXnBeanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
Wreckon Dracgon

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Gamerscore League Season 7 Winner   Gamerscore League Season 5 Winner   Donator - Level 1   A+ Thread Award   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Gamer Score League First Place, Season 3   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter   Gamer Score League First Place, Season 2   Submit - Bronze
You use them just like a potion, open up the radial menu, selection the potion icon then the Memories of the First Warden he or she will drink it like any potion. They will then be naked (due to having no skills or attributes) and you can level them up as you see fit.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #6
FrankXnBeanZ

ahhhh there we go, thanks for the tip
FrankXnBeanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #7
NickJamesFM

NickJam3sFM's Gamercard
This might seem stupid but when I use the book on my level 35 warrior I have 143 points to spend on attributes so I load up 60 magic/100 constitution/18 dex/and a mere 3 points left for willpower. As it is that leaves my strength at 15 with not much choice for armor/weapons and I'm even able to start on the Carapace line. It's quite late but I am missing something or just plain blind?
NickJamesFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
Wreckon Dracgon

My apologies for the Warrior that should be 60 in Strength not Magic. Also have you completed the other DLC packs? 143 seems awfully low I know my main character (Mage) has well over 180, granted he has multiple trips to the fade and all those extra skills points but it's certainly not 40 more points.

Last edited by Wreckon Dracgon; 09-16-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Wreckon Dracgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #9
LordMephisto

Send a message via AIM to LordMephisto Send a message via Yahoo to LordMephisto

LordMephisto777's Gamercard
I just found this thread, and a, going to try this out immediately. the Harvester was totally destroying me. hopefully this helps, will post again if it works. *crossing fingers
LordMephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 AM   #10
LordMephisto

Send a message via AIM to LordMephisto Send a message via Yahoo to LordMephisto

LordMephisto777's Gamercard
great thread, but the harvester is still killing me.....
LordMephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
Wreckon Dracgon

Are you a Warrior or a Mage? I'm sure you can get through it? If you see me online just send me a message and I'll talk you through it.

As long as you have the right skills, and the numbers listed above you really shouldn't have any trouble.

In fact you can just use the Draining Aura, and stand still just drinking potions so you don't run out of mana and be fine. That's how I beat the Varterral.

You can also do as others have suggested and set all of your party members to drink health potions if they fall below 75%. For me I found that a waste, because they just went around drinking potions and not attacking, and still dying.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #12
Thulgrum

Wreckon, thank you very much sir!
Thulgrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
muzykalscorpio

Send a message via AIM to muzykalscorpio

EeHh AaRoN's Gamercard
This is probably a stupid question, but since this is the last difficult achievement I have to do in DAO -

[1] I don't have any characters already ; I basically have to create a new one whenever I play. Are these strategies still viable at all for a Lv 20, that may barely push Lv 22 by the end of this brief DLC? The way you include and mention Awakening, it sounds like there is quite a fair amount of prep in here.

[2] If this strategy requires one to reach max level, what level is that? I figure it to be a huge investment to start from Origins, lead into Awakening, and then here for this one achievement - (though I guess I might be crazy enough to do that, I was hoping to do a "last playthrough" *after* finishing the achievements) - but I didn't even know you could reach the level caps? I thought there was a soft cap or something...

[3] Given the above questions, what would you recommend? I'll most likely be giving this a shot later tonight / after work, but if it's just not conceivable even on Hard without an imported character, well...

Thanks in advance.

[ We're past the age of believing we'll have no problems just because we're in love... ]
"Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
. T H E . F I C T I O N . W I L L . S E E . T H E . R E A L .
~ While you were sleeping, we were stealing your heart ~
| Pain is only a pulse | If you just stop feeling it |
muzykalscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #14
perfecktev7

PERFECTKEV7's Gamercard
Thanks Wreckon!

Thank you for posting the suggestions for the mage spells, that helped me out a lot!
perfecktev7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #15
AdamVG-R

Send a message via MSN to AdamVG-R Send a message via Yahoo to AdamVG-R Send a message via Skype™ to AdamVG-R

CursedTimelord's Gamercard
I'm a Level 35 Mage and I can't even get through the first wave, let alone the second! My teammates are useless and I can barely do any damage to the Harvester before I'm killed. Tried every legit strategy in the book and I'm getting my arse handed to me. What's weird is that Golem seems to just stand still for a big part of the battle and gets beaten up, he's useless!

Any help please! Thanks

Last edited by AdamVG-R; 03-15-2011 at 06:22 AM.
AdamVG-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
miracleboy

sgtutinni's Gamercard
Have gone back into Awakenings to use the tome to change my lvl30 warrior stats but only have 114 point to redistribute. The advice above requires 178 points minimum, how can I get more points? I've done pretty much everything in Awakenings I think so don't know how to level more. Do I get the extra points using runes and accessories?
miracleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
Ashhoughton

AshH1989's Gamercard
I used a similar arcane warrior mage build(cept I was using a 2h sword) to yours lvl 34 on nightmare I did absoutely everything in origins but kinda rushed awakening and havent checked the weapons I gained from the other dlcs I didnt find it too hard on nightmare... Admittedly all of my party members were dead for the majority of the fight but the staying power of high level arcane warrior/battlemage builds is ridiculous draining aura and elemental chaos meant that I lost minimal health whilst dealing steady damage I kept swapping my sustainables about to balance health and mana but I very rarely had to run away like a little girl just ignored the undead and froze/stunned them to keep them off my back till the AoEs killed them and chased after the little critter and went toe to toe with himoh I did have the venture armor helm of the sentinal stormchaser gauntlets and cailens greaves too I literally took no damage most of the time and what I took was,easily recooped with draining aura all of my armour runes were resevoir runes allowing me to hit a few well timed CC spells on top of the sustainables I thought it literally would be a nightmare getting the achievement and I would have,dropped it down to hard if it took too long but like I say I managed it first time
Ashhoughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
kmander

miss sogyny's Gamercard
Interesting guide, I'm going to try it out. Wish me luck!
kmander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #19
ParadoxSyntax

ParadoxSyntax's Gamercard
Thank you Wreckon.

I finally finished this this morning with help from your guide.

My copy glitched and the second stage of the reaper got stuck in the wall. I had to finish off all the reaper skeletons before continuing. Was only able to use waking nightmare and chain lightning to harm them.

With the reaper in the wall, I was able to take him down piece by piece with chain lightning.

Thanks again. Origins is complete. Now to complete DA2.
ParadoxSyntax is offline   Reply With Quote