Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Television
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
SmoothAsEgg5

SmoothAsEgg5's Gamercard
Boardwalk Empire

Really surprised I didn't see a thread about this. Currently aired its 2nd episode last Sunday on HBO. It's about the bootlegging going on in the US (mainly Atlantic City) during the Prohibition era. I believe its written by the Sopranos writer and produced by Martin Scorcese who also directed the first episode.

Pretty good stuff so far. Comments or opinions?
SmoothAsEgg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
tehapoc

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Show's pretty well done. Definitely one of Steve Buscemi's better roles.

tehapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
HarperBird

HarperBird's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
First episode was brillant but felt the second episode was a bit slow and nothing major really happened! Am gunna stick with it though cause HBO are the kings of Tv dramas and this one looks like it will be just as good!!

6 have had RRoD (one was also banned for being chipped)
1 E74 Error
1 Was given away

Sig by Nozza x360a/Breaking Bad= Best TV show ever!
HarperBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
exo-apollo

exo apollo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperBird View Post
First episode was brillant but felt the second episode was a bit slow and nothing major really happened! Am gunna stick with it though cause HBO are the kings of Tv dramas and this one looks like it will be just as good!!
Guy on the AV Club gave the opinion that the first episode was like filled to the brim with spectacle and now the second episode is like the night afterwards, having breakfast with the girl getting to know her.

Last.fm
Soundcloud

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically." - Jean-Paul Sartre
exo-apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Shootercoys

Shootercoys's Gamercard
Yeah im really interested in how the series will flesh out. It's interesting they're incorporating true figures of organized crime into the story lines. But next weeks episode looks really good

‎"How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?" -Omar Little

20k-8/24/10
Shootercoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
JAW LV

JAW LV's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I was about to make a thread about Boardwalk when I found this.

Doesn't seem this show has much of a following on this forum. That's too bad, I have enjoyed every episode thus far and think anyone who watches the first few episodes would get hooked too.

It has a Sopranos feel to it, just set at an earlier time. I am really interested to see how far Al Capone goes in the series, can't imagine he takes orders too much longer lol

PROUD MEMBER OF
NUTRITION/EXERCISE QUESTIONS? ASK ME!
TRYING TO MAKE THE GAMING COMMUNITY A HEALTHIER COMMUNITY... EVEN IT TAKES ONE GAMER AT A TIME!
JAW LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
the Damage617

TheDudeeAbides's Gamercard
I just recently started to download this show I got the first 4 episodes, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.. But I've heard very good things..

the Damage617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Spoony Bard

spoonybard1984's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperBird View Post
HBO are the kings of Tv dramas
I'd argue that they've really fallen off in the last few years, losing a lot of ground to both Showtime and AMC. They produced The Wire though, so I'll never completely turn my back.

Enjoying BE so far. It has been moving kinda slow, but now that they've established more of the world (ie-the goings on in Chicago) I'm hoping the drama/action gets amped up. I figure it's only a matter of time before Nucky heeds Jimmy's advice about being a part-time gangster and steps his game up.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
HarperBird

HarperBird's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoony Bard View Post
I'd argue that they've really fallen off in the last few years, losing a lot of ground to both Showtime and AMC. They produced The Wire though, so I'll never completely turn my back.

Enjoying BE so far. It has been moving kinda slow, but now that they've established more of the world (ie-the goings on in Chicago) I'm hoping the drama/action gets amped up. I figure it's only a matter of time before Nucky heeds Jimmy's advice about being a part-time gangster and steps his game up.
The Wire is my favorite TV show ever but I do like HBO miniseries like Band of Brothers and The Pacific but i would agree that both AMC and Showtime make good TV shows, as I enjoy Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Dexter!

As for Boardwalk Empire I think it is getting better with each episode and has a similar feel to Mad Men eventhough there set in different era...

6 have had RRoD (one was also banned for being chipped)
1 E74 Error
1 Was given away

Sig by Nozza x360a/Breaking Bad= Best TV show ever!
HarperBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Hmmmm, my friends and you guys have been giving this show high praise... i'm too obsessed with Dexter right now... but i might give this show a look since it's so highly touted.

KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #11
ylwshakr

ylwshakr's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAW LV View Post
I was about to make a thread about Boardwalk when I found this.
I was about to do the same thing. I have had it on the DVR for weeks now and just started watching them this week. So far I love it and are hooked. Great show I think.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #12
Young Lil Teezy

YoungFINNTeezy's Gamercard
Been watching it since the start, definitely potential in this show. Interested in seeing how far through history they follow this for
Young Lil Teezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #13
Metro Virus

Metro Virus's Gamercard
It's fantastic. hope there is another season
Old 11-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
SmoothAsEgg5

SmoothAsEgg5's Gamercard
SPOILERS

Lol, I loved when Jimmy capped that one guy in the head in sunday's episode. "You gonna shoot me now big guy?" "Well I wasn't going to, until you kinda talked me in to it." BOOM
SmoothAsEgg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
xI DaR3DeViL Ix

Send a message via AIM to xI DaR3DeViL Ix Send a message via MSN to xI DaR3DeViL Ix

Boxset Dan THFC's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
The first season was awesome but I must admit, I had expected less depth in storyline and more action, potentially an Al Capone story becoming maybe even Sopranos in prohibition times like.

Although I had different views on what would happen with the show, its awesome and can't wait for the next season. Another great show involving Mark Wahlberg and as ever HBO.

My hopes for next season are more Jimmy and Al story though. When Al shot the gun and deafened Jimmy it was hilarious! haha.

Thanks to Audacios for the awesome sig!
Props to Gackt for the amazing avatars!

xI DaR3DeViL Ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:30 PM   #16
exo-apollo

exo apollo's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Thought I ought to bump this thread seeing as Season Two just finished last night. What is everybody's thoughts on the final? A gutsy move no doubt, Season Three sure is going to be interesting.

Last.fm
Soundcloud

"If I became a philosopher, if I have so keenly sought this fame for which I'm still waiting, it's all been to seduce women basically." - Jean-Paul Sartre
exo-apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #17
Bronx

Skibadee187's Gamercard
one of the best shows I have seen in a long time this & homeland.
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:20 AM   #18
Shiftie

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
New season starts tomorrow night!
Old 09-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #19
xKRAIZEEMANx

xKRAIZEEMANx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
New season starts tomorrow night!

Awesome-sauce!!!

Such a great show, been waiting for the new season.

xKRAIZEEMANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #20
Shiftie

Awards Showcase Road Map - Diamond   Green Thumb - Bronze   Micro Guide - Platinum   Submit - Silver   Achievement Guide - Emerald   1,000 Posts   Staff Club - Shiftie   Donator - Level 1
Richard Harrow = awesome. 'nuff said.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #21
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFZ Scrubs View Post
Hmmmm, my friends and you guys have been giving this show high praise... i'm too obsessed with Dexter right now... but i might give this show a look since it's so highly touted.
Wow... almost 2 years have gone by.... and this show is amazing.
I watched all three season this winter break and I could not stop watching it.
Just amazing!

I hope they put more emphasis on Richard Harrow because he's by far the best character.
Also, Jimmy's mom isn't dead FYI

Last edited by KFZ Scrubs; 01-18-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #22
Takamura Bear

Begun watching this about a month ago. A few episodes into season 2 right now and this is a good show. Even though there is a heavy emphasis on "wardrobe" at least the core of the show has real substance in the script and the writing, unlike Mad Men.

Although I find myself not really caring or being drawn to Nucky as a character that much. This is most likely because I'm more interested in Al Capone's character and development than anything. Stephen Graham completely fucking owns this show and could easily be the main protagonist.

A shockingly underrated and under appreciated British actor right there. Not bad for a Liverpudlian.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Bear View Post
Begun watching this about a month ago. A few episodes into season 2 right now and this is a good show. Even though there is a heavy emphasis on "wardrobe" at least the core of the show has real substance in the script and the writing, unlike Mad Men.

Although I find myself not really caring or being drawn to Nucky as a character that much. This is most likely because I'm more interested in Al Capone's character and development than anything. Stephen Graham completely fucking owns this show and could easily be the main protagonist.

A shockingly underrated and under appreciated British actor right there. Not bad for a Liverpudlian.

This Is England - Shop Scene - YouTube
Didn't even know he was British... good stuff.
As for Capone... big stuff is in for him, Luciano and Lansky.
I mean, history wise, they're some of the biggest men to ever walk on the scene... .and they just feel like minor characters right now.
I feel like in the coming season though, those three men will really pop on the show. I can tell because there roles have grown since the first season

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #24
Shiftie

Up until season 3 I loved the show. Most of season 3 seemed to drag on way too long, and I agree with the comments about Richard Harrow needing a bigger role, and Nucky being less interesting than many of the other people in the show. I think I still have an episode or two to watch, however.

I also like ex-agent Nelson's character...hopefully he becomes an enforcer or something next season, I think he'd fit that job well.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #25
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftie View Post
Up until season 3 I loved the show. Most of season 3 seemed to drag on way too long, and I agree with the comments about Richard Harrow needing a bigger role, and Nucky being less interesting than many of the other people in the show. I think I still have an episode or two to watch, however.

I also like ex-agent Nelson's character...hopefully he becomes an enforcer or something next season, I think he'd fit that job well.
I heard that Nelson does for the North Side gangster.
I agree though... I was kind of sad on season three because I thought they wouldn't resolve the Gyp matter because they didn't start striking back till the end of episode 9/10... then they just fast forwarded all the gang violence.
I can't wait to see season 4.... the show is amazing

Old 09-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #26
PenderPowguin

PenderPowguin's Gamercard

8 Months have passed, and no discussion on BWE.

What with the new season out, anyone else love this show? I mean c'mon, Steve Buscemi's the man!

"Are you saying we shouldn't hope?"

"I'm saying we should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open!”
- Raistlin Majere

Major props to Rajeanero for this sexy sig!
PenderPowguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #27
Shiftie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenderPowguin View Post
8 Months have passed, and no discussion on BWE.

What with the new season out, anyone else love this show? I mean c'mon, Steve Buscemi's the man!
I tried to watch the first episode of the season the other night now that episode 2 is out and realized I don't remember a lot of what happened last season, so I'm holding off until I rewatch the last few episodes x.x
Old 09-24-2013, 07:02 AM   #28
Inebriated Jedi
Sith Happens

Send a message via Skype™ to Inebriated Jedi

Inebriated Jedi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Silver   Staff Club - Inebriated Jedi   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Staff - Community and Events Team   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 1   Three Lives Remaining - Finalist   Donator - Level 1   Staff Club - AOS Puck   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - * Clueless *   XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
I started watching the show a few months ago; I'm nearly done with the third season now. Richard is probably my favorite character.

Friend requests without messages will be ignored!
Inebriated Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #29
PenderPowguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Jedi View Post
I started watching the show a few months ago; I'm nearly done with the third season now. Richard is probably my favorite character.
Yeah, he definitely was my favorite by the end of the 3rd as well

This new season is pretty tasty, and is building up nicely. Al Capone is insane.

- Raistlin Majere

Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
PenderPowguin

No one like gangster stories from the early 1900's?

I'm enjoying watching all of the Chalky White action, it's gonna get pretty good here real soon. No Capone action though, perhaps next week.

- Raistlin Majere