PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #61
DreamDevice
Banned User

End 0f Dreamz's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator51 View Post
I remember that movie, no matter what he did, he couldn't save the one he loved.
Good memory! Kinda familiar with whats going on in LOS isn't it....
DreamDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM   #62
Vindicator51

Vindicator51's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I'm curious to see what the DLC will bring.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #63
IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S's Gamercard
When Patrick Stewart is narrating at the start of chapter 5 part 1 (the chapter where he joins back up with Gabriel) he says about Gabriel "This night a warrior will come a knight in shining armor with Death by his side". You could argue he meant Gabriel was gonna kick ass but if you listen to the way he says it i think he could be telling you he is indeed Death.

Again in chapter 9 part 1 when talking about the vampire queen he says of her "vampires can sense the living but the dead she cannot, she knows Gabriel is here yet she cannot sense death close at hand" now when taking the death part into the context of the sentence he cleary is talking about a dead person ie himself rather than the death gabriel will give her.

I know its is widely believed he is Death anyway but was that not Death who summoned the Dracolich at the end of chapter 11?. He did receive the third piece of the mask after defeating the Dracolich. Im so confused with this.

Last edited by IRISH OS1R1S; 10-25-2010 at 01:41 AM.
IRISH OS1R1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #64
Miles Prower CC
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Miles Prower CC Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Prower CC

Miles Prower CC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISH OS1R1S View Post
I know its is widely believed he is Death anyway but was that not Death who summoned the Dracolich at the end of chapter 11?. He did receive the third piece of the mask after defeating the Dracolich. Im so confused with this.
That was just a necromancer, the minions of Death. Check your bestiary and you will see one.
Miles Prower CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #65
IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower CC View Post
That was just a necromancer, the minions of Death. Check your bestiary and you will see one.
Thanks for the reply, but how then after defeating the Dracolic did he then recieve the third part of the mask? any help with answering that would be appreciated.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #66
Miles Prower CC
Banned User

Send a message via AIM to Miles Prower CC Send a message via Yahoo to Miles Prower CC

Miles Prower CC's Gamercard
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but how then after defeating the Dracolic did he then recieve the third part of the mask? any help with answering that would be appreciated.
It doesn't seem like defeating the Lord is necessary. It seems that he simply has to chant that prayer at the seal in the ground, which releases one of the mask fragments.

My guess is that he could have done that with both Cornell and Carmilla, but they were too in the way so he had to kill them first. Zobek on the other hand wanted Gabriel to rebuild the mask, so he didn't interfere until the God Mask was rebuilt.
Miles Prower CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #67
IRISH OS1R1S

IRISH OS1R1S's Gamercard
Ah makes sense, thanks again for the help. I cannot wait for the dlc to find out more, I love this game.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #68
perpetualshades

Send a message via AIM to perpetualshades

perpetualshades's Gamercard
Quote:
When Patrick Stewart is narrating at the start of chapter 5 part 1 (the chapter where he joins back up with Gabriel) he says about Gabriel "This night a warrior will come a knight in shining armor with Death by his side". You could argue he meant Gabriel was gonna kick ass but if you listen to the way he says it i think he could be telling you he is indeed Death.

Again in chapter 9 part 1 when talking about the vampire queen he says of her "vampires can sense the living but the dead she cannot, she knows Gabriel is here yet she cannot sense death close at hand" now when taking the death part into the context of the sentence he cleary is talking about a dead person ie himself rather than the death gabriel will give her.
i didn't notice any of that. nicely done.
perpetualshades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #69
CompGeek812

CompGeek812's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyai View Post
If I remember right, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow with Soma took place during modern times (not 2010, but modern enough) and he didn't run around with guns. So I think guns are out of the question.

Either way, I loved the story. Yeah, I saw Zobek betraying you as soon as you met him. It was pretty obvious. But still. I loved the story. I stopped doing trials/collectibles so I could see the ending.
Actually if I remember correctly Soma was able to wield several handguns in Aria (or maybe it was Dawn...) that could be upgraded throughout the game. Most people just chose to go with more conventional weapons because they dealt more damage to enemies and the confines of the castle usually made the range of the pistol insignificant.
CompGeek812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #70
Devolon

FKT DEVOLON's Gamercard
Reminded me of MGS3, the hero becomes the franchise's main villain. Typical hideo kojima stuff, meh.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:13 AM   #71
Lord Griever

L0rd Griever's Gamercard
i think the ending was good it left me woundering like, gabriel miight have died and this is his evil side left behind and he looks so haggard cause he probelly has had countless run in with the belmonts, its in the present time so for sure ppl have hunted him. and i like that he looks so old and worn because dracula can make himself young again just like in bram stokers. i love how he is sitting there it reminds me of lestat when louis sees him in the cematary years later. i would love a sequel with simon hunting gabrial using the combat cross aka the vampire killer. i for one loved this game in its 3d form and i thought that aside from the stupid button glitches it was great well done
Lord Griever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #72
pdottz

Considering there's lots people here who have been here from the beginning of the series (me included) there should be some clarification.

This is a brand new direction in the series. This game is not cannon because it is actually a reboot of the series. The birth of Dracula is actually explained in Lament of Innocence for the ps2 - go play that. very awesome game . Also explains why the Belmonts have always hunted Dracula

I loved Lords of Shadow. The ending was a twist no doubt but could mean many things. There where some elements from Symphony of the Night in that ending too. The skeleton of the Slogra when Zobek enters the chamber. Zobek himself is dressed in a robe that very much resembles Shaft from SotN.

But the ending itself is very open-ended.

- Gabriels dark side could have been left behind and became Dracul. I think this is Gabriel by himself who was granted immortality for whatever reason. He fought without any regard for anyone while he tried to bring back Marie. Once he found out he couldn't, he just pretty much wanted to die. The perfect punishment for everything he did would be to keep him from Marie (ie. Dying) Zobek, being Death could easily grant him mortality (what he wants) - but he wants Gabriel to help him first.

- Gabriel came back from purgatory where all the souls where trapped as an angel type being, maybe this is what granted him immortality as a side effect.

- Zobek dies and leaves his mask behind as the credits rolls before the epilogue movie. Maybe that caused Gabriels immortality.

Either way, I hope the DLC picks up after the Satan fight. I hope they don't destroy the game by doing it all wrong in modern times.

Being a reboot of the series (Gabriel being the first Belmont) It would make sense in this series as to why the Belmont clan always fights him. Lament of Innocence explains why for the original cannon series.

/rant
pdottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:45 PM   #73
Devolon

FKT DEVOLON's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdottz View Post
Considering there's lots people here who have been here from the beginning of the series (me included) there should be some clarification.

This is a brand new direction in the series. This game is not cannon because it is actually a reboot of the series. The birth of Dracula is actually explained in Lament of Innocence for the ps2 - go play that. very awesome game . Also explains why the Belmonts have always hunted Dracula

I loved Lords of Shadow. The ending was a twist no doubt but could mean many things. There where some elements from Symphony of the Night in that ending too. The skeleton of the Slogra when Zobek enters the chamber. Zobek himself is dressed in a robe that very much resembles Shaft from SotN.

But the ending itself is very open-ended.

- Gabriels dark side could have been left behind and became Dracul. I think this is Gabriel by himself who was granted immortality for whatever reason. He fought without any regard for anyone while he tried to bring back Marie. Once he found out he couldn't, he just pretty much wanted to die. The perfect punishment for everything he did would be to keep him from Marie (ie. Dying) Zobek, being Death could easily grant him mortality (what he wants) - but he wants Gabriel to help him first.

- Gabriel came back from purgatory where all the souls where trapped as an angel type being, maybe this is what granted him immortality as a side effect.

- Zobek dies and leaves his mask behind as the credits rolls before the epilogue movie. Maybe that caused Gabriels immortality.

Either way, I hope the DLC picks up after the Satan fight. I hope they don't destroy the game by doing it all wrong in modern times.

Being a reboot of the series (Gabriel being the first Belmont) It would make sense in this series as to why the Belmont clan always fights him. Lament of Innocence explains why for the original cannon series.

/rant
What bothers me is, Patrick Stewart always keeps on telling us that Gabriel is surrendering to his dark side, but this never really transpires into the gameplay, or even the cutscenes.

If you take the spoken introductions into account, yes the fact that he's turning into dracula makes sense - but the core of the game lacks any element that would make you feel that. Gabriel seems a good guy all along, and Robert Carlyle's acting never suggests that his character is losing it. And the game ending (final boss+ ending before the credits) is bona fide heroism. That post-credit-twist seems to come from nowhere.

... I admit that the vampire queen suggests that this resurrection thing comes with a catch, though. I didn't skip her cutscene during my Paladin run (that cleavage of hers brings a lot of rewatch value lol), and I guess she had a point. It looks like they didn't bring much clues in the main game because they wanted to protect their twist, bad idea IMO. And Zobek is such an obvious traitor, it kinda weakens the story's impact.

Last edited by Devolon; 10-28-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Devolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #74
Aurum Strife

Aurum Strife's Gamercard
I for one enjoyed this game start to finish. I like the ending of Gabriel becoming Dracula. As others have already stated it would make perfect sense as to why the Belmont Clan feels charged with defeating Dracula's Curse every time. Also, it skipped so far ahead, it is possible that he didn't turn right away. Maybe he eventually moved on from Marie and had a son that he passed the Vampire Killer onto then became Dracula someway.

For this game being a reboot, I tried to play through it not comparing it to the others and nitpicking difference. When you think of it on its own its amazing. Yes everyone is up in arms about the futuristic parts of the Epilogue. Why? I think it would be awesome. If Dracula resurrects every so odd years, why always place in the past. This could be really good if they do it right.

As for most of the questions people have trying to piece the ending together. There will be DLC and I am certain a sequel. Hopefully all will be explained then.
Aurum Strife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #75
etrenocturne

Odinh4x's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman6686 View Post
Konami stated months ago that this game is NOT canon. Lords of Shadow takes place in an entirely different universe than other CastleVania games. If they make a sequel, Lords of Shadow is the first game in a new series. If not, its a standalone title.

Anyway, I for one HATE the ending of this game. It makes me feel like I wasted my time playing it. Why did Gabriel go through all that crap only to become the very thing he fought all this time? WTF?
Haha the entire reason you hate the ending is the reason I LOVE it!!! Its completely against cliche. No happy ending FTW! It surprised the hell out of me! I LOVE that!! Kojima<3

etrenocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #76
Virus2Die

Virus2Die's Gamercard

ole ole what an ending

i dont know , i believe that , what some people think to , he drinks no blood , and kept hiding .

i dont think that we are going to play in the new world , i think they will send us trough an new Portal Mirror and let us play in an parallel universe ;9

But still if they would let us play in a new world , who wants that ???

hmmm dont know , but what i know , i LOVE THE GAME

i hope it will become a new Castlevania Line / series what ever .

I think we should be thankful even with this ending , that Kojima pict out this old Character and made a Game for us in 2010.

So maybe next year an sequel or another part ?

Last edited by Virus2Die; 11-04-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Virus2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #77
KenshPT

KenshPT's Gamercard
Any news about the DLC?
KenshPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #78
Chuunks

Chuunks's Gamercard
When I saw these "Ending major spoilers" posts -- I raced to the finish ignoring trials/gems. (I started late - give me a break!!)

MY holy-crap moment was the flashback to the killings that Zobek made Gabriel do.

Channeling my inner-Gabriel, there's no way I would ascend and leave behind a Lord of Shadow in my wake; I would try to contain the darkness within me, hiding away from the world probably for hundreds of years. The ending makes sense to me ... up to a point.

My gripe with it - it seemed too much of an advertisement for the DLC: "The story's not over yet, just you wait!"

Chuunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #79
Blazman83

Blazman83's Gamercard
I absolutely loved this game, i was kinda hoping that the castle in the top right hand corner of the map was gunna be my final chapter, i was kinda hoping to see Dracula at the end. Even at chapter 12 i was hoping the mask would come together and unlock the secrets to that old castle (Its mentioned somewhere that the castle is posessed and that it had a mysterious master before frankenstien). Also if you look in the crease of the world map between chapter 6 - 7 there looks like another lvl there (probabley dlc) i thought the mask was gunna go there an unlock a final chapter.

I was suprised by the ending like most but i didnt dislike it, i played some of the older castlevania games and i think this one does them justice. As for Gabriel turning into Dracula it makes a lot of sense, if you look at the guy who created Dracula Bram Stoker ... well Dracula or Vlad fought against the Turkish for God and religion just like Gabriel, when he completed his task and came home to find his wife had commited suicide he renounced god and became dracula ... seems to me thats what happened to Gabriel, he did all that work for the brotherhood his reliogion and God based on the promise he'd get his girl back, he was lied too and forced to repent his sins for eternity ... i think anyone would be pissed, seems like Gabriel lost his faith.

Anyway i thought this game was amazing, i look forward to the dlc and hopefully a sequel.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #80
Virus2Die

Virus2Die's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazman83 View Post
I absolutely loved this game, i was kinda hoping that the castle in the top right hand corner of the map was gunna be my final chapter, i was kinda hoping to see Dracula at the end. Even at chapter 12 i was hoping the mask would come together and unlock the secrets to that old castle (Its mentioned somewhere that the castle is posessed and that it had a mysterious master before frankenstien). Also if you look in the crease of the world map between chapter 6 - 7 there looks like another lvl there (probabley dlc) i thought the mask was gunna go there an unlock a final chapter.

I was suprised by the ending like most but i didnt dislike it, i played some of the older castlevania games and i think this one does them justice. As for Gabriel turning into Dracula it makes a lot of sense, if you look at the guy who created Dracula Bram Stoker ... well Dracula or Vlad fought against the Turkish for God and religion just like Gabriel, when he completed his task and came home to find his wife had commited suicide he renounced god and became dracula ... seems to me thats what happened to Gabriel, he did all that work for the brotherhood his reliogion and God based on the promise he'd get his girl back, he was lied too and forced to repent his sins for eternity ... i think anyone would be pissed, seems like Gabriel lost his faith.

Anyway i thought this game was amazing, i look forward to the dlc and hopefully a sequel.

i agree totally
Virus2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #81
Boss Battle

xXBossBattleXx's Gamercard
I just love how you fought SATAN in the end; didn't see that one coming!

Also, I remember reading a little while back that there are plans for a second Lords of Shadow... does anyone know more details about that, or if you think it'll take place in the present-day/future? It wouldn't make sense otherwise, with an ending like that.
Boss Battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:00 PM   #82
Anthrizacks

Turbofist's Gamercard
I'm craving a sequel and some DLC. I haven't felt so invested in a franchise in a long time! There are also many things they can improve with the combat/platforming aspects, including speeding it up just a tad (especially the platforming). Better boss battle designs (patterns), maybe different weapons and magic abilities, and then I would personally like to see more enemies on screen at once; though not if they are all skeleton warriors, hehe. Towards the end when the necro would spawn a ton of zombies on you, I thought massacring them was fun. Then again I'm a huge fan of Koei games.

As per the ending, I wasn't a huge fan of it...but I was thinking they were going to do a triple plot twist where Maria is actually a manifestation of God and God manipulated you into killing Satan thus giving him full reign. But then again making God a villain wouldn't be good for reception. Or maybe Satan took the form of God and manipulated you into thinking that God was Satan...well anyway I would like a sequel.

I'm also very relieved that the epilogue is going to be DLC and not a full fledged sequel. It interests me, but I do NOT want a modern setting for a sequel, not yet anyway.
Anthrizacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #83
sleepymexican45

sleepymexican45's Gamercard
I'm confident the epilogue will be explained in the dlc. bit a bizarre twist though I didn't mind the story as I enjoyed the game so fucking much. and it's the only game in aaaages that I haven't wanted to sell after the first playthrough.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #84
Grisvalp

Send a message via MSN to Grisvalp

Grisvalp's Gamercard
Thumbs up

Loved the game, loved the ending Can't wait for the DLC.
Ending had me drooling over the controller.
Grisvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:41 AM   #85
Gareth Dent

Send a message via MSN to Gareth Dent Send a message via Skype™ to Gareth Dent

Gareth Dent's Gamercard
Two possible things go through my mind:

It could be that, because Gabriel abandoned his faith (as mentioned all the time in the narration parts before levels) that god punished him and took away the one thing he wanted most - Marie. Being immortal would make sure he could never see her again.

It could be that since the mask was left behind he took it apon himself to use it to try bring back Marie but it turned him into Dracula

It also could be that like the three founders of his order he accended from earth into heaven with Marie and left behind the dark side (the cold blooded killer that zobek/death was always talking about)

Either way, the idea of the ending was to show that Gabriel(good/bad side) is still very much alive and immortal and that starving himself or time does not effect him. Zobek being death could give him mortality (aka death) to be with Marie again, but of course Zobek wanted help destorying satan once more. As to why? you can imagine Zobek/death wants to rule himself.

I don't think there is any sure complete truth towards that ending untill the DLC comes out.
Wether it shows what happens between the Gabriel/Satan fight to the ending
or Post/after the ending.

I can not wait

"We all have secrets; the ones we keep, and the ones that are kept from us."
Gifts
-EaT-
djunglist
VelocityGFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TentacleTherapist View Post
This thread is now basically a 'Gareth is awesome thread'.

Last edited by Gareth Dent; 12-04-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Gareth Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #86
Bango Stank

BangoStank's Gamercard
The ending was a little disappointing. I did enjoy this game quite a bit and maybe thats how they felt they needed to end it for a sequel. Bring on part two...
Old 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #87
DragonessAthena

DragonessHera's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower CC View Post
Gabriel looks like the most crap Dracula, I mean look at him!

He is so incredibly emaciated that he looks like the starving people in Africa.
His hair is not the luxurious wavy hair of the old Dracula but instead long straight Sephiroth's hair.
His skin is so ancient and wrinkly looking, Dracula is supposed to be handsome and manly looking.
He has no facial hair, Dracula looked regal and aristocratic, dressed in the finest of clothes sporting a well trimmed mustache and goatee.
He doesn't even sound like he should be Dracula. Dracule spoke like the high borne, well educated and refined.

You don't even need to be a Castlevania purist, you just have to want a Dracula that doesn't look like total crap. I mean here's the Dracula people want to see.

Maybe Gabriel will actually go out an east something and get some meat on his bones, buy some clothes that don't look like crap, go to a hair dresser and get his hair styled properly and stop being an emo piece of crap.
Uhh.... You might want to read or watch Bram Stoker's Dracula. Dracula has the power to change his look from young man to old. It's in the Castlevania canon that Dracula is the one from Bram Stoker's book (the Genesis game Bloodlines is pretty much a sequel to Stoker's novel). It was because I had seen and read the book that I knew the entire plotline for Lament of Innocence in the first few minutes of the game.

As people have said, it's another universe, and if you had played Lament of Innocence you would know Dracula's original name was Mathias Cronqvist. It says in LoS that Gabriel was believed to have been born from the Cronqvist family.

What happened in Lament of Innocence and Bram Stoker's Dracula? The Dracula character was a soldier of God who sacrificed everything to defend the church. In the end, they were "rewarded" with the death of their loved one. What happens in Lords of Shadow? Same thing. That's why Gabriel ends up as Dracula, just like Mathias. The guy went through hell and in the end, was denied even death.
DragonessAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #88
GodsmacKam

Jah iGodsmacKam's Gamercard
FLIPPIN BEASTY ENDING!!! havent played a game in ages with such a deep storyline, im craving for more!!
GodsmacKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #89
BoChOmAn

BoChOmAn's Gamercard
For me the game and ending was AMAZING, I don't get why people don't understand the ending, from the beginning you know the prophecy "A pure hearted warrior would take the power of the lords of shadow AS HIS OWN", for that reason satan couldn't kill Gabriel, he was the chosen, he took out the lords of shadow, he was pure hearted... obviously satan wasn't.
In the last moments of the battle, when Gabriel is grabbing satan, you see how he performs the ascension to take care of the bastard, he gets surprised when he finds himself alive, and Marie tells him that in appreciation, he has been given life again to find redemption for all of his sins (obviously they where A LOT to grant him safe passage to heaven). Gabriel flips out for not being able to revive Marie, nor to reunite with her in heaven and throws this second chance away.
Years passed and Gabriel locked himself away in sadness and anger, living apart from the world, that is why Zobek spent hundreds of years looking for him... and if you are asking "why the zombie look of Gabriel/Dracula?", he says "I can't die, but Im not alive" who knows how many centuries had passed since he completely locked himself away trying to just starve himself to death.

Maybe I'm putting to much of myself to the story, but that's the way I understand it since the first time I watched the ending... anyway for me it was amazing, waiting impatiently for the DLC or sequel.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #90
gary55k

Molag Impaler's Gamercard
Cant wait for the sequel as it looks realy good