PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Action > Comix Zone
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Achievement Guide

COMIX ZONE Achievement Guide
written by: NFaMuS one for use exclusively on x360a.org

Overview:
-Estimated achievement difficulty: 3/10
-Offline achievements: 12
-Online achievements: none
-Approximate amount of time to 200/200 : 2-3 hours
-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1 (+re-loaded save)
-Number of missable achievements: none
-Glitched achievements: none
-Do cheat codes disable achievements? N/A
-Does difficulty affect achievements? N/A

Introduction:
Welcome to my Comix Zone Achievement Guide.

This game is possibly one of the best, as well as one of the most fun games on the Sega Genesis. Many of us on this forum have played through this game numerous times in our youth, and others may be experiencing it for the first time, either way, I hope you enjoy the guide.

Controls:
= jump
= action/attack
= custom (move)
= item 3
= item 2
= item 1
= up
= down
= left
= right

Special Moves:
Serial Double Punch: +
Serial High Kick Tornado: (diagonal) +
Serial Low Kick: + tap repeatedly
Uppercut: +
Floor Sweep: +
Back Kick/Turn Around: +
Whirlwind Jump Kick: then
Somersault Leap Forward: (diagonal), , or (diagonal) +
Flying Dragon Kick: , , or + then
Grab-A-Mutant: hold then press again, or hold , then +
Roll: then hold

Story:
You are Sketch Turner! In the opening of the game you will see Sketch drawing in his apartment whilst a lightning storm rages outside. The storm grows so fierce, the lightning brings Sketch's characters to life, and he is consequently brought into his own comic to rid New York City of its mutant infestation, as well as the vile fiend known as Mortus.

General Gameplay Tips:
1. Save often! I can't stress this enough. When you die, you will be taken back to the main menu.

2. There are loads of items behind the scenery. Drop Roadkill in every room to check for some. If there is he will run off and scratch a hole in the comic, and an item will drop out. It's also worth noting that the items aren't in any way random, so when you find an item, remember where it is as it'll be there every time you play. (credit to [Waggly Bean])

Playthrough:
Right from the beginning, you will want to obtain the 3rd Grade, Orange Bull and Boo-Ya! achievements. In following the guide, and progressing through the beginning of the first level, you will obtain the Rats! achievement.

TIP: I highly recommend that you SAVE, SAVE, SAVE! If you die throughout the game, you go back to the main menu.

Continue progressing through the game. You will unlock the achievement, Unknown Territory, upon completion of the first level. On the way through the rest of the game, you will pick up the Score I, Score II and Score III achievements, as well as the respective episode achievements, consisting of Buddah Says and Accelerate Your Hero. You will also unlock Complete the Game on this play through.

Re-loaded Save:
Providing you followed the guide, and saved before the last boss battle, re-load your save and proceed with the opposite ending per your decision during the final boss battle. After you go through both endings, you will obtain the Choice is Good achievement.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+
Zombie Apocalypse Survival Rate: 100%

Last edited by NFaMuS one; 06-12-2009 at 01:19 PM.
NFaMuS one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Complete the Game - Rescue Alissa and complete the game. - 25

Comix Zone consists of 3 episodes; Night of the Mutants, Welcome to the Temple and Curse of the Dead Ships. Simply progress through the episodes and when you rescue Alissa and complete the game, you will unlock this achievement.

TIP: Save often!

Choice is Good - Receive both endings. - 25

As the achievement states, there are two endings to this game. Save before the final boss Mortus.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)

Score III - Score 50,000 points. - 25

For this achievement, simply reach a total score of 50,000 points. It has been reported that you will have roughly around 80,000-90,000 points when you complete the game, so these will come as you progress through the game. You should have all of the score achievements before completion of the game.

3rd Grade - Use a paper airplane. - 15

For this achievement, hold for a few seconds, and Sketch will rip a piece of paper from the comic and will throw a paper airplane. Be careful though, as the paper airplane will come back and hit you.

Score II - Score 30,000 points. - 15

For this achievement, simply reach a total score of 30,000 points. It has been reported that you will have roughly around 80,000-90,000 points when you complete the game, so these will come as you progress through the game. You should have all of the score achievements before completion of the game.

Accelerate Your Hero - Complete Episode 3 - 25

NOTE: You must watch the end credits to unlock this achievement.

Episode 3 is entitled Curse of the Dead Ships. As with the rest of this game, routes and options are farily straight forward. Once you complete this episode you will unlock the achievement. Now it's time for the final boss battle against Mortus.

In this final boss battle, you will see a switch to the right which will activate a rocket thurster to your left. Move towards the rocket and lure Mortus underneath of it, then quickly jump to the switch and activate hit and hit Mortus with the rocket thruster.

TIP: To lure Mortus to the rocket thruster, make sure you stay between the first two ledges and jump up, then back down.

Once you make the hit, there will be several flying creatures to deal with. Once you do away with the flying creatures, rinse and repeat a few more times to obliterate Mortus and finish the game.

TIP: Save your game prior to this boss battle so you can re-load to save yourself another playthrough when trying to obtain the Choice is Good achievement.

Buddah Says - Complete Episode 2. - 15

Episode 2 is entitled Welcome to the Temple. As with the rest of this game, routes and options are farily straight forward. Once you complete this episode you will unlock the achievement. The boss battle for this episode is Kung Fung.

In this battle, Kung Fung will hover over the background. As this occurs, keep an eye on his hands. When you see them light up, that is your que to jump out of the way of the energy ball. When he comes to you from the background, jump over his attack (exploding fingernails I believe), which will consequently leave him stuck in the wall. From there, utilize a jump dragon kick as you did in the first boss battle, and kick him into his own explosives. Rinse and repeat a few more times and this will lead to the demise of Kung Fung.

Unknown Territory - Finish the first page. - 15

This achievement is very straight forward. Simply progress through and complete the first level of the 1st episode. The level is relatively simple, however the enemies may prove to be troublesome. Try to conserve as much health as possible, and save the drink you get at the beginning of the level for use if you need.

Once you unlock this achievement, continue with the game. Episode 1 is entitled Night of the Mutants. As with the rest of this game, routes and options are farily straight forward. There is no achievement tied to the first episode, but of course, you must complete it to progress through to the next episode. The boss battle for this episode is the Mutant Queen.

Once you reach the boss, jump over the firballs she throws at you. Once close enough, jump towards her with a dragon kick, then immediately jump back to avoid being hit by her claws. Rinse and repeat a few more times and you will have defeated the Mutant Queen.

Alternate Method to defeat the Mutant Queen: (credit to ReXXXSoprano)
As soon as you do enough damage to her, wait for her to scream and walk or roll under her to the other side and you'll see a barrel. Let her hit the barrel with her fireball to light the barrel and push it directly under her and she'll die after that.

Score I - Score 10,000 points. - 10

For this achievement, simply reach a total score of 10,000 points. It has been reported that you will have roughly around 80,000-90,000 points when you complete the game, so these will come as you progress through the game. You should have all of the score achievements before completion of the game.

Orange Bull - Use the Iced Tea to restore your health. - 10

This achievement can be obtained in the first level, as you can pick up the drink right when you start the first level. Press to pick up the drink, then press the corresponding button to use it depending on what slot it is in, (either for slot 1, for slot 2 or for slot 3.) I recommend saving before you use the drink at the start of level one, as you will want to save it for only when necessary. Alternatively, you will have many oppurtunities to obtain this achievement throughout the game.

Boo-Ya! - Use the dynamite. - 10

This achievement can also be obtained in the first level, as you can pick up the dynamite right when you start the first level. Press to pick up the dynamite, then press the corresponding button to use it depending on what slot it is in, (either for slot 1, for slot 2 or for slot 3.) I recommend saving before you use the dynamite at the start of level one, as it will come in handy against enemies. Alternatively, you will have many oppurtunities to obtain this achievement throughout the game.

Rats! - Rescue and pick up Roadkill. - 10

The first chance at acquiring this achievement will be in the very first level. After you pick up the drink, knife and dynamite, proceed to the next frame. Defeat the enemies here, then move to the frame to the right. From here, defeat the enemy and you will be notified that there is a secret door. Simply hold and press a few times to break the manhole cover. Then drop down to the next frame. To the left you will see Roadkill. Break the cage by pressing repeatedly, then jump on the platform and press to pick up Roadkill. Alternatively, you will have many oppurtunities to obtain this achievement throughout the game.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+

Last edited by NFaMuS one; 07-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
norcalsniper
Banned User

norcalsniper's Gamercard
Better looking Guide and more complete, but did we really need two guides for such an EASY game?
norcalsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsniper View Post
Better looking Guide and more complete, but did we really need two guides for such an EASY game?
Thanks, and valid point. No, we didn't necessarily need two guides, however, with two guides being here, it will then be up to the mods to decide which stays and which goes.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+
Old 06-11-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
macgyver893

MACGYV3R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Thanks for putting this small guide together. Looks like easy achievements considering I remember this game VERY fondly from my childhood when it came out. I think I was in the 6th or 7th grade when I got it as a Christmas present..... great times on the Sega.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
macgyver893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Agent Z23

First off, uncool move, posting a guide up when my guide was up first. Sure you have a more complete guide but it is unnecessary. This is a simple game, it needs a simple guide. Your guide assumes that people are idiots who have just picked a controller for the first time.
Agent Z23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Z23 View Post
First off, uncool move, posting a guide up when my guide was up first. Sure you have a more complete guide but it is unnecessary. This is a simple game, it needs a simple guide. Your guide assumes that people are idiots who have just picked a controller for the first time.
Your perception tells you that my guide assumes people are "idiots" and it wasn't meant to step on your toes, first of all. Second of all, at any time, anyone can write a guide for any game, and it's up to the guide team to sort it out from there.

Also, my guide is layed out in a way to thoroughly explain most of everything involving the controls, background of the game and especially achievements. In no way is it to assume people are "idiots." It's actually layed out this way in case there are people out there that haven't played this game.

There are guidelines to writing guides for a reason and I wrote this guide per the guidelines and because I loved this game growing up.

Also, on a side note, to my knowledge, there is a huge difference between assuming anyone is an "idiot" and being thorough.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+

Last edited by NFaMuS one; 06-11-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM   #8
Agent Z23

Well stated my friend, I didn't mean to offend you. You are absolutely right and I too loved this game growing up. I've never written a guide before so I didn't realize the detail they required. Congrats on the great guide.
Agent Z23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Well stated my friend, I didn't mean to offend you. You are absolutely right and I too loved this game growing up. I've never written a guide before so I didn't realize the detail they required. Congrats on the great guide.
No worries, you didn't offend me, I was merely just stating my stance on things.

I have been advised by many people who have written great guides about the amount of detail that should go into an achievement guide, simply for the reason that not everyone has played the game or knows how it works. Also, I made sure to include as much detail as possible because this is such a great game, in my opinion.

Also, thank you for the congrats.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+

Last edited by NFaMuS one; 06-11-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
ReXXXSoprano

Triple Da GawD's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Bronze
I was gonna write a guide but this looks great as is. I'll step off and let you handle it.

And I'll throw my tip in for the Swamp Mutant Queen.

As soon as you do enough damage to her, wait for her to scream and walk or roll under her to the other side and you'll see a barrel. Let her hit the barrel with her fireball to light the barrel and push it directly under her and she'll die after that.

#TEAMGRF

Last edited by ReXXXSoprano; 06-11-2009 at 07:16 PM.
ReXXXSoprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #11
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReXXXSoprano View Post
I was gonna write a guide but this looks great as is. I'll step off and let you handle it.

And I'll throw my tip in for the Swamp Mutant Queen.

I'll add it up, thanks for the tip.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #12
PureTechniquex

Send a message via Skype™ to PureTechniquex

SK Diabolic's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)

For this achievement, hold for a few seconds, and Sketch will rip a piece of paper from the comic and will throw a paper airplane. Be careful though, as the paper airplane will come back and hit you.

Lmao not to be a 'Idiot' or anything but i swear each time i Hold X, i just keep Punching!

Last edited by PureTechniquex; 06-11-2009 at 11:58 PM.
PureTechniquex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTechniquex View Post

Lmao not to be a 'Idiot' or anything but i swear each time i Hold X, i just keep Punching!
Hmm, not quite sure why it's not working out. I just held the X button and it worked like a charm. Only think I can think of is that maybe you're moving at the same time, just a thought.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+
Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 AM   #14
PureTechniquex

SK Diabolic's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFaMuS one View Post
Hmm, not quite sure why it's not working out. I just held the X button and it worked like a charm. Only think I can think of is that maybe you're moving at the same time, just a thought.
Ok i tried it several times, standing still & i held X for about 2 minutes Lmfao, but no luck.

Anyway im completely new to this game so do you know how i can get more Ice Tea? Ive used my RAT thing to find a few but im on Page 3 or 4 now & he wont find any at all & im screwed on health lol.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:03 AM   #15
Thegreatest7884

Send a message via AIM to Thegreatest7884

Vantagonist's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Just curious, are there cheats like the version on Sonics UGC?
Old 06-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
miiiguel

SlayerSpecial's Gamercard
You must have "set auto fire = on" and that's why you can't do "3rd Grade", disable it, and just press X for a couple of seconds.

Now..., idk why ppl are stressing about this game being that easy (3/10, easy?!). I must be doing something wrong, as I lose almost all my health just by kicking obstacles. The enemies are in fact not that hard, but it's kinda stupid to loose health when you hit a door.
miiiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:17 AM   #17
PureTechniquex

SK Diabolic's Gamercard

Yeah ill try that in a sec when i get back on & it is really stupid how i lose health from kicking a door lmfao.

EDIT:

Thanks Miiiguel, it worked.

Last edited by PureTechniquex; 06-12-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:34 AM   #18
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegreatest7884 View Post
Just curious, are there cheats like the version on Sonics UGC?
Not that I know of, as the jukebox is a seperate option, and if you try to enter the code for invincibility, nothing happens.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #19
Ollie The Magic Bum

ovulating moose's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by miiiguel View Post
You must have "set auto fire = on" and that's why you can't do "3rd Grade", disable it, and just press X for a couple of seconds.

Now..., idk why ppl are stressing about this game being that easy (3/10, easy?!). I must be doing something wrong, as I lose almost all my health just by kicking obstacles. The enemies are in fact not that hard, but it's kinda stupid to loose health when you hit a door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureTechniquex View Post
Yeah ill try that in a sec when i get back on & it is really stupid how i lose health from kicking a door lmfao.
Are you guys using the standard attack? Or are you using your special? Using the special (or "custom" as it is referred to in the control menu) takes a little bit of your health away.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #20
PureTechniquex

SK Diabolic's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie The Magic Bum View Post
Are you guys using the standard attack? Or are you using your special? Using the special (or "custom" as it is referred to in the control menu) takes a little bit of your health away.
Yeah i use Special as it is more powerful & only needs a few hits but it does do a bit of damage.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #21
loozered

Quote:
But think about it - isn't it best to have a completely expansive guide that absolutely anyone can follow and use, including idiots?
Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #22
miiiguel

I must be idiot, as I did Afro Samurai on Hard fairly easily, which is reported to be 8/10 in difficulty, and I can't seem to pass level 2 on this.

Anyonw knows what's the best move to destroy objects (in the way of not loosing much health - standing still objects do way more damage than enemies. lol) ?

Another question, items are pretty rare in this game, aren't they? Or are they hidden somewhere? Inbetween the beginning of the game and the end of lvl2 I found just 2, some dinamite and a question mark.

Last edited by miiiguel; 06-12-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #23
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:

1. Anyonw knows what's the best move to destroy objects (in the way of not loosing much health - standing still objects do way more damage than enemies. lol) ?

2. Another question, items are pretty rare in this game, aren't they? Or are they hidden somewhere? Inbetween the beginning of the game and the end of lvl2 I found just 2, some dinamite and a question mark.
1. Shoulder Smash. Push against the wall/object and press your punch button (X). This is the way I have always used since I was a yuong-un! It should take three smashes.

2. There are loads of items behind the scenery. Drop Roadkill in every room to check for some. If there is he will run off and scratch a hole in the comic, and an item will drop out. It's also worth noting that the items aren't in any way random, so when you find an item, remember where it is as it'll be there every time you play. Back in the day I used to know every room to drop Roadkill in off by heart!
I don't think I'd remember them all now though!

[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #24
miiiguel

Thanks a lot Waggly Bean. I knew I was missing something. I'm going to try that as soon as I come back from work. Maybe it should be included in the guide?

The problem with this older games is that the majority of ppl who likes and buys them assumme that everybody have the same experience. Or maybe I'm really an "idiot". lol.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
[Waggly Bean]

Waggly Bean's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
No problems, hope it helps!

[Waggly Bean] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #26
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Waggly Bean] View Post
1. Shoulder Smash. Push against the wall/object and press your punch button (X). This is the way I have always used since I was a yuong-un! It should take three smashes.

2. There are loads of items behind the scenery. Drop Roadkill in every room to check for some. If there is he will run off and scratch a hole in the comic, and an item will drop out. It's also worth noting that the items aren't in any way random, so when you find an item, remember where it is as it'll be there every time you play. Back in the day I used to know every room to drop Roadkill in off by heart!
I don't think I'd remember them all now though!
HA!

Man! I don't know how that slipped my mind. I used to do the same thing with Roadkill all the time when I played this on Genesis. That's why I was wondering why people were saying there weren't many items, lol.

Quote:
Thanks a lot Waggly Bean. I knew I was missing something. I'm going to try that as soon as I come back from work. Maybe it should be included in the guide?

The problem with this older games is that the majority of ppl who likes and buys them assumme that everybody have the same experience. Or maybe I'm really an "idiot". lol.
I will add that to the guide.

I feel your pain though, and you're right, the majority of people purchase old games thinking that everyone should have played this at some point, hence why I wrote the guide the way I did. At the same time though, I completely overlooked the fact of including that tip of releasing Roadkill in every room for possible hidden items, lol. My apologies.

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+

Last edited by NFaMuS one; 06-12-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:53 PM   #27
macgyver893

MACGYV3R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
You should add this too for the second chapter -- When you arrive right at the start of chapter 2 (snowy mountains background) roadkill is waiting to be picked up. Pick him up and move to the left a little and drop him (staying in the same box). He'll rip you up a Powerblast/fist icon.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
macgyver893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #28
NFaMuS one

NFaMuS one's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver893 View Post
You should add this too for the second chapter -- When you arrive right at the start of chapter 2 (snowy mountains background) roadkill is waiting to be picked up. Pick him up and move to the left a little and drop him (staying in the same box). He'll rip you up a Powerblast/fist icon.
Actually, I can add that to a list of locations that I plan to work on this weekend and into next week, and then just link to that from the guide, unless of course anyone else would like to take the liberty of creating a hidden items guide.

Any takers? Anyone? *hears crickets chirping* LOL j/k

Infected Kill Count:
166,144+

Last edited by NFaMuS one; 06-12-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #29
miiiguel

ok, finally beat the game. The guide's looking good with the new info, though, my take on the difficulty level should be 5 (or even 6 if you don't bring some usefull items for the battle with Kung Fung... quite tough!).
That said level 2 boss is realy the only kinda hard part of the game, all the rest is pretty simple - so I'd recomend having at least half your health and a "Super Hero Punch".
Here's how I did it:
1. Wait for the dude to fire heis blasts that circle the room and jump over them - one jum to the right; on jump to the left (or vice versa, depends where the blast goes firt, obviously).
2. As soon as he's down on the floor, use "Super Hero Punch".
3. Don't attack him right away, let him fire his nails, jump above them or crouch.
4. Jump over him (to swap sides with him, you'll understand why right away) and then attck him with a "Serial High Kick Tornado" (see the guide, it's simple) - he'll be knocked into his own nails which are stuck on the wall.
Do n.3 and n.4 once more and he's dead.

Also, Waggly Bean's tip for smashing the objects did help a lot, I took less damage - so do as he sugested.
Ta ta! Great game, and thank you all!

Last edited by miiiguel; 06-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #30
zimzvm

zimzvm's Gamercard
first of all I remember this game as one the most incredible games back in the days. I must say that it is fun as it once was and still really original. I did download it yestrday and started to play and... everything up to Kung Fung was rather easy, but this lad is driving me crazy. as well as losing health while kicking the crates and other objects.

@miiguel
I try your tips tomorrow. I hope it is going t be way easier as for right now I didn't find the cure, mainly due to little of health. I think I have to play the game once more and use Roadkill more.

- Rob Flynn

zimzvm is offline   Reply With Quote