PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Racing > Monster Jam: Path of Destruction
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #1
RexDarr

RexDarr's Gamercard
Yay or Nay?

I have seen this game a few times where I work. It's $39.99, only one copy left. I am a fan of Monster Jam and use to play Monster Truck Madness 64 my entire childhood.
I breifly purchased a Monster Jam game for the PS2 then returned it within a week.
Is this game:
- Realistic?
- Have Realistic Damage?
- Have Realistic Handling?
- Officially Liscenced Monster Trucks & Tracks? (if so how many and who)
- Fully Customizable Trucks & Tracks?
- A GOOD Soundtrack? (i.e.: Real bands & songs)
- A Career or Campaing Mode (i.e.: playing full tracks & having standings)
- Any worthwhile mini-games or additions?

Last edited by RexDarr; 01-18-2011 at 05:45 AM.
RexDarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Molneze3

Molneze's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Bright Idea   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
To me $39.99 is a little steep to pay for this game. I bought it for $49.99, but it was for my son for Christmas. Hes 8. He loves it, but doesn't quite have the eye for good games as much as us more experienced gamers have.
Realistic - not really. I mean, all the competitions are real and the trucks are real trucks and real events. But sometimes the wrecks and damage look very fake.
Without popping the game in, i think there are 8 different arenas varying from Sacramento to N.O. with around 7-8 events in each (Race, Team Race, Freestyle, Time Crunch, Gate Rush, and a few others). There are quite a satisfying # of Trucks. Although they are quiet different from each other... all the statistics seem very similar. Not much difference in handling, speed and accel.

You can't cuztomize the tracks at all... but you can the trucks. Not that you'd want to. I wouldn't waste my time. Seems minimal at best.

There is real bands and songs. I wouldn't comment if its good or not, cuz whats good to me, might sound like Celine Dieon to you.

The Career is quite long with a lot of events which is good. that will keep you playing for a while. And the Hard difficulty can be quite challenging at times. But the AI trucks can be fooled very easily and make very dumb mistakes at times giving you a satisfyingly easy win.

And there are no mini games, and i don't think this game has online multi player at all.

Hope this was helpful
Old 01-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
RexDarr

RexDarr's Gamercard
I appreciate the imput. I'm into many different types of genres from blues & jazz to metal & some electrica.
I've been a monster truck fan all my life (I have met Dennis Anderson a couple of times & have been to a hand-ful of pit-parties).
Are all the tracks realistic compared to the real ones? There's no ships and random stuff in the arena's during free-style are there?
Can you enter the Las Vegas track at the end of the season?
Are there standings during the year too?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
twisted42zx

twisted42's Gamercard
Rex-
My son has this game. Yesterday I decided I would give it a shot. I had the full 1000gs in just a few hours. When I first started to play I found the controls very frustrating, but after a little while you get a feel for it. The arena events (freestyle, arena race etc.) are pretty realistic for the most part. There are a few things that you wouldn't normally find (backflip ramp, half pipe, giant bowling ball, small airplane.) The vegas event is in the game. I found the game fun for the most part. Not all that challenging although there are a couple events that made me want to throw my controller. A lot of the races you will encounter a random truck that likes to run you into a wall at the start. I would recommend you rent it, you won't need it more than a weekend unless you have kids. My 7 and 8 year old boys play it quite a bit. I think it's more geared for that age group.
twisted42zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
RexDarr

RexDarr's Gamercard
I ended up buying the game. I have played it for a combined 12 hours or so. I spent a lot of time guessing on the secret achievements, so I did a lot of the challanges on hard difficulty after completing them on easy.
At the moment I have 41 out of 43 achievements and only missing:
Can't Be Stopped!
Trictionary
Old 02-07-2011, 12:27 AM   #6
RexDarr

RexDarr's Gamercard
I ended up beating this game about 15 minutes after posting my last message. Overall I'd give it a 6/10. Its fun to crush cars and flop around in freestyle but the AI is just horrid! In the circuit racing 9 times out of 10 the truck infront of you will constantly stay in your way, even driving in the middle of the track when you try to pass.
If USHRA ever wanted to make a GOOD Monster Jam game they need to add:
- Realistic damage (i.e.: the chassis' of the trucks flailing and falling off when you roll over & if you crush a car that you can go back and crush other parts of it)
- Realistic graphis (i.e.: dirt flying & rooster tails off of the starting line if you just mash the gas button)
- A more in-dept career (i.e.: if you are racing at a track make it as if you were driving the real track in real life, none of this flying down Thunder Alley, taking a sharp left and running over 4 cars & having a 16-truck racing tree, not just 4)
- Less repetitive commentary.

Anyone want to add anything?
Old 04-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Capt_Ron CFH 01

Capt Ron CFH 01's Gamercard
Ok, so I can get this game brand new for $19.99.
I've been wanting to get a game like this for a while now, but the truck selection seemed weak in a lot of the other Monster Jam games.

This game appeears to be best game available for 360 at this point. Truck selection is missing a couple of cooler trucks like Batman and the TMNT trucks but I still like quite a few of the trucks on the roster.

I know customization sucks and the add-ons for the trucks are lame. But is it worth the $20 price? Like I said I've been wanting to get a monster truck game for some time and this looks like it would be worth playing if even only for a couple of weeks.
Capt_Ron CFH 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
montrossity

Send a message via AIM to montrossity

montrossity's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
I would only buy this game if I could find it for less than $5.

100% LEGIT. If you call bullshit, post a link to prove it.
Swim, bike, run.
montrossity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
Seismic Mage

SEISMIC MAGE's Gamercard
Talking Monster Jam

this Game has been staring me in the face when I go in the store. I wish they would make one with Multiplayer then i might be able to pick it up.
Seismic Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
RexDarr

RexDarr's Gamercard
I think EA should take over and make a HALF decent Monster Jam game. No powerups, weapons, dumb races (i.e: the ones that were in Monster Trucks 64).
If the graphics were a bit more realistic, the trucks recieved realistic damage, and there was an actual career mode then I would buy it.
People say that you can't make a career mode for a monster truck game. NASCAR seems to do fine and all you do is go really fast and turn to the left... I think a monster truck career mode (JUST LIKE YOU WOULD SEE ON TV!) would be pretty cool. have all the tracks, sponsorship deals, agreements, rivals, money you earn from each race (to spend on repairs, new parts, better parts, more trucks, etc). Now THAT would be worth $50
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
redlight racer

Redlight Racer's Gamercard
I know this is an old thread but after beating the game, I wanted to share my opinion:

This game is much better then the last monster jam game. It's a lot more fun, and I really had a blast playing it. But it is insanely short. I beat the main career mode in no more then 3 hours of play, and I 100% it within maybe 10 hours spread across 2 days. DEFINITELY a rental, but one you will have fun completing.

18 games completed: 13 Retail, 5 Arcade
redlight racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
HoJo1369

hojo1369's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlight racer View Post
I know this is an old thread but after beating the game, I wanted to share my opinion:

This game is much better then the last monster jam game. It's a lot more fun, and I really had a blast playing it. But it is insanely short. I beat the main career mode in no more then 3 hours of play, and I 100% it within maybe 10 hours spread across 2 days. DEFINITELY a rental, but one you will have fun completing.
I agree it's better than the first. I am almost done wih this and I would be will to sell it cheaper than what Gamestop has it for which currently is $34.99
HoJo1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #13
Geedorah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDarr View Post
I have seen this game a few times where I work. It's $39.99, only one copy left. I am a fan of Monster Jam and use to play Monster Truck Madness 64 my entire childhood.
I breifly purchased a Monster Jam game for the PS2 then returned it within a week.
Is this game:
- Realistic?
- Have Realistic Damage?
- Have Realistic Handling?
- Officially Liscenced Monster Trucks & Tracks? (if so how many and who)
- Fully Customizable Trucks & Tracks?
- A GOOD Soundtrack? (i.e.: Real bands & songs)
- A Career or Campaing Mode (i.e.: playing full tracks & having standings)
- Any worthwhile mini-games or additions?
For $39.99 is not worth it at all. Reason being this game has no replay value. Best bet is to rent this game from GameFly or from any other rental store.site.

- Realistic? Eh to an extent. The trucks are detailed and look exactly like they do in real life. The course designs are basic.

- Have Realistic Damage? If you flip your truck or cause a lot of damage. Your truck will lose parts, wheels, etc
- Have Realistic Handling? You can control the front and back steering with the analog sticks. Giving it the feel of a real monster truck

- Officially Liscenced Monster Trucks & Tracks? (if so how many and who) There a are 8 different locations you play at. Ranging from Florida, Nevada, California, ect. And yes all the monster trucks are licensed. Like the Gravedigger, El Torro Loco, Black Stallion. And you can also play with them.

- Fully Customizable Trucks & Tracks? You can only customize the trucks not tracks. You can change the paint color, add stickers, dress it up with accessorize.

- A GOOD Soundtrack? (i.e.: Real bands & songs) Honestly didnt notice if there is a soundtrack. I dont believe so all I heard through the entire game was the announcer.

- A Career or Campaing Mode (i.e.: playing full tracks & having standings) Only a campaign. In which you level up and unlock new trucks and new locations to race. Winning is easy even if you choose to play on hard.

- Any worthwhile mini-games or additions? None
Geedorah is offline   Reply With Quote