PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Fallout: New Vegas
Subscribe    Donate

Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #31
bblnx

BeBe LiNuXx's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker4502 View Post
Render Unto Caesar, 30: Complete Render Unto Caesar.

At the end (or close to the end) of Ring-A-Ding-Ding, a spy will approach you and give you the Mark of Caesar as well as telling you to go to Cottonwood Cove. Go to said Cove and start working for Caesar; this achievement should pop after 'Et Tumor, Brute?' but it is possible to get the achievement without completing the secondary quest.
This is a video of the vault 34 which can help you for the "Et tumor, brute" quest :
bblnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM   #32
Hex Blade

Hex Blade's Gamercard
Quote:
Enemies have significantly more health, so if it gets too challenging turn down the difficulty before turning off hardcore mode.

Can you confirm that changing your difficuly settings won't stop you getting the Hardcore achievement.

I changed my difficulty setting from Normal to Very Easy but left hardcore on but a number of people are saying that you don't get the achievement if you change the difficulty settings mid-game.

Also, do you get less XP points on an easier difficulty setting?
Hex Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 PM   #33
gohanman

gohanman's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanman View Post
I don't believe this is right. I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I completed Volare and still have all four faction quest lines available.
Follow-up: completing Volare! definitely DOES NOT close any main quest line. I finished the quest and still have Things That Go Boom, Render Unto Caesar, Wild Card: Change In Management, and The House Always Wins active.

I finished Volare before going to see the NCR Ambassador and starting Things That Go Boom. Perhaps if that quest is active you have to be more cautious in your answers to avoid committing the Boomers to any faction.
gohanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:48 PM   #34
Ferocious
Banned User

Quote:
Ferocious: Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to add them to the guide and give you credit!
You're welcome and thanks. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTF INFERNO View Post
Globe Trotter is not missable. I killed Mr House then collected the globes and still got the achievement.

No it's not missable in the usual terms. However, if someone doesn't realize how important having multiple saves are, especially ones prior to agreeing with the pop-up when it says "are you sure blah blah blah" at the end of the game aka the point of no return, they will miss whatever achievements that are left unfinished which aren't tied into the end-game mission(s) or that can be acquired during the end-game mission(s). So even if you make multiple saves, keep saves PRIOR to the end-game sequence just in case or if you want to use that character to clean up achievements, missions, and/or just explore. Multiple saves at key parts of the game are important, especially in RPG's. Most here know that already, however apparently some do not from reading through some threads lol.

Last edited by Ferocious; 10-27-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Ferocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:35 AM   #35
Tracker4502

Send a message via AIM to Tracker4502 Send a message via MSN to Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexblade
Can you confirm that changing your difficuly settings won't stop you getting the Hardcore achievement.

I changed my difficulty setting from Normal to Very Easy but left hardcore on but a number of people are saying that you don't get the achievement if you change the difficulty settings mid-game.

Also, do you get less XP points on an easier difficulty setting?
I can't absolutely confirm that it won't happen, but unless you experience a glitch you can change the difficulty and still get the achievement. I've never heard of someone not getting the achievement for lowering the difficulty.

You get the same experience regardless of the difficulty setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohanman View Post
Follow-up: completing Volare! definitely DOES NOT close any main quest line. I finished the quest and still have Things That Go Boom, Render Unto Caesar, Wild Card: Change In Management, and The House Always Wins active.

I finished Volare before going to see the NCR Ambassador and starting Things That Go Boom. Perhaps if that quest is active you have to be more cautious in your answers to avoid committing the Boomers to any faction.
You're right; Volare! itself isn't what locks you out. It's right after when you report to your faction of choice to the contact for that faction. But that's a mouthful, so I simply put Volare! because it's an easily identifiable point instead of 'when you report back to your superior / ally'.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 PM   #36
ColdSpider72

ColdSpider72's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Silver   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
You gave credit for having it pointed out to you that you cannot fast travel to undiscovered locations after using the explorer perk, yet you still left the wrong info in the guide.
ColdSpider72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 PM   #37
Pormogo

underworld toad's Gamercard
Your roadmap is a bit hard to understand. Should I do hardcore my first playthrough?

Thanks to N3xus Gam3r!
Pormogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #38
Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun72 View Post
You gave credit for having it pointed out to you that you cannot fast travel to undiscovered locations after using the explorer perk, yet you still left the wrong info in the guide.
You can not fast travel to the undiscovered locations. However, if you read the achievement info I say to fast travel to the nearest discovered location and walk to each undiscovered location. However I will try to clean up the wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pormogo
Your roadmap is a bit hard to understand. Should I do hardcore my first playthrough?
I suggest yes as that play through I have you doing the least amount of hard non-story achievements (and thus you have a lot more flexibility for skills and perks). However, if you think that you want to get to know Fallout more before attempting hardcore, I suggest attempting it on your third / fourth play through as those have the least difficult achievements for the run. I'll add more wording to the roadmap and color code it to make it more clear; thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by Tracker4502; 10-29-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Tracker4502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #39
gohanman

gohanman's Gamercard
Quote:
You're right; Volare! itself isn't what locks you out. It's right after when you report to your faction of choice to the contact for that faction. But that's a mouthful, so I simply put Volare! because it's an easily identifiable point instead of 'when you report back to your superior / ally'.
Gotcha. Depending on faction, it might even be a little farther. When I finished Wild Card: Side Bets and reported the Boomers are with me, the quests The Wrath of Caesar and Don't Tread on the Bear both started, but no faction quest lines closed.

I think this is about as far as you can get, as any additional faction quests will close off either the Legion or the NCR (you can still do side quests, provided they don't involve either the Legion or NCR).
gohanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #40
Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Thanks for the bumps Vault Boy. I didn't want to bump my own thread as I hate it when people spam bumps their own threads to keep it up high. That being said, a few more days and I can finally submit the guide to the site and hopefully get it posted with sticky.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #41
RYAN ARKISON

BiG J0Ck ST3iN's Gamercard
i think this guide is better it is easier to understand

good job !!

BIGJOCKSTEIN
RYAN ARKISON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:50 AM   #42
nomadicmarbs

nomadicmarbs's Gamercard
great guide..this is gonna take awhile
Old 11-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #43
Drilette

Drilette's Gamercard
love the guide, thanks alot!
100% Arcade:
Galaga
Drilette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #44
MrMyxo

MrMyxo SWE's Gamercard
add to Desert Survivalist. food is NOT things you drink so sunset and nuka cola dont give to achivment.

i think it is food but not the game, water sims to be food still
MrMyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #45
Snoop QC

snoop qc's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMyxo View Post
add to Desert Survivalist. food is NOT things you drink so sunset and nuka cola dont give to achivment.

i think it is food but not the game, water sims to be food still
In fact, if you wanna know if something you eat will count as food, just look at the description in your pip-boy and if FOD -(something) appear in the effects, it will count.

If I understand correctly, if I save right after Ring a Ding Ding, I should be alright to reload it when I want to do the other main quest factions achievements?

Also, if I save with hardcore mode on, turn it off, and then reload, will hardcore be still on?

Achievements completion : 99,39%
Gamerscore completion : 99,35%
Retail games completed : 70/74
I'm a completionist!!!

If you send a friend request, please send a message telling why, otherwise I will just ignore it
Snoop QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #46
Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop QC View Post
In fact, if you wanna know if something you eat will count as food, just look at the description in your pip-boy and if FOD -(something) appear in the effects, it will count.

If I understand correctly, if I save right after Ring a Ding Ding, I should be alright to reload it when I want to do the other main quest factions achievements?

Also, if I save with hardcore mode on, turn it off, and then reload, will hardcore be still on?
You can actually get a little farther before needing to save, but yes, at that point you can reload the save to finish any of the four plot lines.

EDIT: Added the specific lock-out points for each faction to the guide as it seems to be a frequent question.

In regards to hardcore mode, it should yes. But I wouldn't take that risk and would suggest simply completing it for your first play through just so you're done with it.

Last edited by Tracker4502; 11-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Tracker4502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #47
HELLSPWAN 88

HELLSPWAN 88's Gamercard
This should help alot been racking my brain try to find some of these achievements.
HELLSPWAN 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #48
Vanilla Coke Zero
Banned User

canzz's Gamercard
very nice. would've used this if i hadn't already 100%'d the game. should be helpful to other people.

Vanilla Coke Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:09 AM   #49
leeloo

Pinkunoichi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
I can't absolutely confirm that it won't happen, but unless you experience a glitch you can change the difficulty and still get the achievement. I've never heard of someone not getting the achievement for lowering the difficulty.

You get the same experience regardless of the difficulty setting.
It glitched on mine. Didn't touch hardcore but changed difficulty between easy-normal-hard (up and down). 40 hours no achievement.
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #50
GideonW

Send a message via Skype™ to GideonW

GideonW's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Marvellous View Post
Where would you recommend to make a save to enable a reload for the faction achievements. Ive only just reached boulder city in the story so im not far in.
Complete the Volare! quests and destroy the Brotherhood of Steel's Bunker in Hidden Valley before doing any of The House Always Wins, Render Unto Caesar, For the Republic and Wild Card quests. Doing those two things will make all the faction storylines much quicker; bare in mind that as soon as you begin a faction storyline the other factions begin to dislike you (especially if you are with the Legion).

You could also kill the Great Khan leaders and complete G.I. Blues so the King owes you a favor (useful for NCR storyline), investigate the Omertas and kill their bosses (useful for Mr House and NCR storyline), and talk to the White Glove Society (useful for Independent storyline)
GideonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #51
Extreme Washing Machine

TheMrGary's Gamercard
Good guide, better than the other one, much more easier to understand (less grammar mistakes, clutter etc.)

Gears of War 2 boosting - FR me!
Extreme Washing Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 AM   #52
falldown3

falldown3's Gamercard
beast guide man! its helpin me alot thx!
falldown3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 AM   #53
xrxsxbx

Send a message via AIM to xrxsxbx Send a message via MSN to xrxsxbx

xrxsxbx's Gamercard
Can you complete the game on any difficulty to have hardcore ach?

For Example Easy and Hardcore?

Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 AM   #54
Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Yes, you can complete the game on any difficulty with hardcore on and still achieve the achievement. However, I will say that there have been rare cases that have popped up on these forums where someone changed the difficulty mid-game and didn't get the achievement. Now, this is the internet so those rumors could be completed unfounded, but I'm just letting you know.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:47 PM   #55
mind4spirit

Paystay's Gamercard
This needs to be stickied
mind4spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #56
Ethereal235

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal235

Zero132132's Gamercard
Your information under 'Desert Survivalist' is wrong. As long as you're hurt enough that all of the health points for an item will heal you, you can go to your pip-boy menu and use all of that item, and every health point will count towards the achievement, even if it's several thousand higher than the amount of health that can actually be healed.

This same trick works with stim-ply amazing if you set it to hardcore mode so that it heals over time instead of immediately; as long as you're hurt enough, you can use all of your stimpacks at once and the health from every single one will go towards the achievement.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #57
Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal235 View Post
Your information under 'Desert Survivalist' is wrong. As long as you're hurt enough that all of the health points for an item will heal you, you can go to your pip-boy menu and use all of that item, and every health point will count towards the achievement, even if it's several thousand higher than the amount of health that can actually be healed.

This same trick works with stim-ply amazing if you set it to hardcore mode so that it heals over time instead of immediately; as long as you're hurt enough, you can use all of your stimpacks at once and the health from every single one will go towards the achievement.
I'm well aware that food heals over time in either mode; that does not, however, make my method wrong as you claim. I left the method as-is for the fact that Stimpaks in regular mode heal instantly. Therefore, by leaving the method slightly less efficient I could simply say 'do what you did for desert survivalist' for Stim-ply Amazing instead of outlining differences between the two. And yes, you could turn hardcore mode on and thus have stimpaks heal over time, but honestly my method takes a grand total of 5 minutes max. When I timed it, I was healing 8000 health at 60 health per pak, so even if you're slow in your pip-boy menu it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes. I'd rather keep the method more straightforward and intuitive than complicate it for the sake of a few minutes. And as a meta note, if Bethesda ever decides that it must be food healed instead of food potential and thus patches the exploit, my method will still work.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #58
Ethereal235

Send a message via AIM to Ethereal235

Zero132132's Gamercard
Quote:
I'm well aware that food heals over time in either mode; that does not, however, make my method wrong as you claim. I left the method as-is for the fact that Stimpaks in regular mode heal instantly. Therefore, by leaving the method slightly less efficient I could simply say 'do what you did for desert survivalist' for Stim-ply Amazing instead of outlining differences between the two. And yes, you could turn hardcore mode on and thus have stimpaks heal over time, but honestly my method takes a grand total of 5 minutes max. When I timed it, I was healing 8000 health at 60 health per pak, so even if you're slow in your pip-boy menu it shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes. I'd rather keep the method more straightforward and intuitive than complicate it for the sake of a few minutes. And as a meta note, if Bethesda ever decides that it must be food healed instead of food potential and thus patches the exploit, my method will still work.
Yeah, the stim-ply amazing thing is silly, but with desert survivalist, it's very difficult to constantly consume food every time you take damage rather than using stim-packs, and you don't mention that you can use all food items at once rather than going through the tedium of losing a shit-ton of health over and over again.

Some people, like me, don't take a lot of damage over the course of the game, so when you claim under 'Desert Survivalist' that you need to actually get all of the health points, it's both misleading and time-consuming. With 20 gecko steaks and a high enough Survival skill, you can "heal" 1500 damage in a couple of seconds.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:34 PM   #59
FalloutFTW

Quote:
You'll Know It When It Happens, 20: Complete You'll Know It When It Happens.

This quest is special in that it is given in both the NCR and Wildcard quest lines. Note for Wildcard that this may not appear as a quest but as an optional part to 'Wildcard: Final Touches'. In either case, the main goal is to prevent the three assassination attempts against the President. There is a bomb on the vertibird, a sniper in the tower behind the president, and a fake mechanic with a knife. See a detailed walk through here.

The House Always Wins - Part VI also requires you to stop the assassination. However, if you have a negative NCR Rep, you will "fail" the quest and skip it. Might want to add that in.

Also, an easy way for Desert Survivalist is to go to Camp McCarran, go to the barracks, fix the food processor for the cook(80 repair or a lot of various items). After you fix it, he will stock food every 48-72 hours. He sells about 800 points worth of healing when I had a survival skill of ~20. Once you have the food, go into a corner and throw a single stick of dynamite, a grenade, whatever you can to damage yourself; then use all the food. Rince and repeat. Took me 20 mins to get it using this method.

Last edited by FalloutFTW; 11-09-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Adding in Desert Survivalist
FalloutFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #60
Tracker4502

Tracker4502's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal235 View Post
Yeah, the stim-ply amazing thing is silly, but with desert survivalist, it's very difficult to constantly consume food every time you take damage rather than using stim-packs, and you don't mention that you can use all food items at once rather than going through the tedium of losing a shit-ton of health over and over again.

Some people, like me, don't take a lot of damage over the course of the game, so when you claim under 'Desert Survivalist' that you need to actually get all of the health points, it's both misleading and time-consuming. With 20 gecko steaks and a high enough Survival skill, you can "heal" 1500 damage in a couple of seconds.
I already mentioned that I covered 8000 health in Stim-ply Amazing in a short amount of time. As for the food, using the Gourmand in the Ultra Luxe (with primarily Gecko, Brahmin Steaks, and so on) I polished off close to the full 10,000 damage in a matter of 15 minutes after acquiring all the food using the method. My character's survival score was low, so it most likely could be even quicker if a character had a higher survival skill score and brought Arcade along.

Most of the time invested is used to acquire the food, and by comparison the consuming portion is incredibly quick. I understand what you're saying, and yes just consuming all the health at once is quicker than drowning and consuming as I recommend. But also as I mentioned before, consuming the food / stimpaks is a small time investment already and trying to reduce that time through the ultra efficient method you describe is simply not worth it. I'm well aware that we're simply coming down to a difference in opinion here, but I'll have to respectfully decline your method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout FTW
The House Always Wins - Part VI also requires you to stop the assassination. However, if you have a negative NCR Rep, you will "fail" the quest and skip it. Might want to add that in.
Also, an easy way for Desert Survivalist is to go to Camp McCarran, go to the barracks, fix the food processor for the cook(80 repair or a lot of various items). After you fix it, he will stock food every 48-72 hours. He sells about 800 points worth of healing when I had a survival skill of ~20. Once you have the food, go into a corner and throw a single stick of dynamite, a grenade, whatever you can to damage yourself; then use all the food. Rince and repeat. Took me 20 mins to get it using this method.
I'm aware of the status of 'You'll Know it When it Happens' of being in Mr. House's quest line as well, but by that point in the line you've already accrued a decent amount of infamy with the NCR. As such, it's exceedingly time consuming to try to get back into their good graces enough so that you can participate in that quest. (I tried on one of my characters, and it requires you to complete close to all the NCR quests in the game). It's easier to complete the quest during the Yes Man campaign as you acquire slightly less negative influence with the NCR during it, but I would still just recommend completing the quest during the NCR storyline as it's not required to complete either the Mr. House or Yes Man line (as you said).

The Camp McCarran option is strictly superior to the Gourmand as the Gourmand gives an average of 500 health per stock, but I did not include it for two reasons. First, the 80 repair skill is dauntingly high, especially since the repair skill is far less useful in FNV than in FO3. Second, you need to be on semi-reasonable terms to use that option, which means it can become impossible if you're working on a different quest line. So yes, if it's available to you it's a better choice, but I didn't list it because there's a good chance it won't be available to the average character (while the Gourmand is).