Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Kinect
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
kaleido42
CET

Send a message via Skype™ to kaleido42

kaleido42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - kaleido42   Community Gaming - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Donator - Level 5   Staff - Community and Events Team   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Platinum
Total Awards: 18 (more» ...)
Voice support

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Canada (along with mainland Europe) wasn't supposed to receive voice support for Kinect until spring of 2011? Having received/hooked up kinect tonight I attempted to try voice commands, just out of curiousity, and they worked! I bought my Kinect/360 both in Canada, my xbox live account region is set to Canada, etc. Does anyone know if we got it early for some reason, or is my software just randomly "glitching up" and giving me extra features ahead?

Thanks for the sig Rajeanero!
kaleido42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
DarthSoth

I DarthSoth I's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleido42 View Post
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that Canada (along with mainland Europe) wasn't supposed to receive voice support for Kinect until spring of 2011? Having received/hooked up kinect tonight I attempted to try voice commands, just out of curiousity, and they worked! I bought my Kinect/360 both in Canada, my xbox live account region is set to Canada, etc. Does anyone know if we got it early for some reason, or is my software just randomly "glitching up" and giving me extra features ahead?

I live in Canada as well and from what little voice tests I did it works for me. Not too sure why you though we would not have it work for us though. Perhaps they were talking about French and European language voice reccognition that won't be supported until later on until they build up the vocal variations a little more? As far as english, I really don't know why it wouldn't work for Canada and english speaking Europe. They did a butload of tests and samples from the states for accents and what not and I can't see there being much issue with us Canadians in that reguard.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
DarthSoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
kaleido42
CET

kaleido42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - kaleido42   Community Gaming - Gold   Submit - Diamond   Donator - Level 5   Staff - Community and Events Team   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 2   2,500 Posts   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 1   CABS Beta Tester   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Platinum
That's exactly why I was annoyed to have originally heard that we weren't getting voice support. I just originally went out and blamed Quebec (not racist against French people, that province just seems to be the source of so much trouble). I'm assuming now though that when they said not supported in Canada, they likely meant not all of Canada, something that the media may not have caught perhaps.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
HatTrick190

HatTrick190's Gamercard
I live in U.S.A but when I read canada wasnt getting voice I thought that was kind of stupid because why would you make Kinect without the voice part? Im glad you guys got it
Old 11-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
Capn Doug
Community Completionist

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - rekikire   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2
Total Awards: 48 (more» ...)
This is great news. I am picking up Kinect this week and was always a little confused that they managed to get the mic to recognize a West Virginia accent but not a Canadian accent. Maybe it just has trouble with Newfie.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
DarthSoth

I DarthSoth I's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
This is great news. I am picking up Kinect this week and was always a little confused that they managed to get the mic to recognize a West Virginia accent but not a Canadian accent. Maybe it just has trouble with Newfie.
And really, don't we all have trouble understanding newfie? Especially once they get a few drinks in them. Hopefully they took that into account when they did up the voice recognition software for Canada.

After messing around with it a bit the voice recognition is pretty limited and it is probably faster to just pick up the controller in the end. It only works for what is on screen, so if you are on the dashboard and want to go to zune, you can't just say "xbox - zune". You need to say "xbox - kinect menu" then wait for it to pop up then say "xbox - zune" which is kind of lame. also no system shut off voice command so you need to either physically shut it off or grab the controller and do it with the Guide function as normal.

Would have been really nice if you could just shortcut stuff with voice control like you can with the guide button in stead of needing it to be onscreen before you can use it. Maybe that is something that will show up in future updates, but as of right now it is a novelty that will likely get used very little since it is still way better to have a controller handy. And they really need to get the ESPN channel in canada. That sounds just so bloody awesome being able to watch even just highlights and recaps on the 360 would rule.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
DarthSoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
kaleido42
CET

kaleido42's Gamercard

I have to partially disagree with the voice command being a novelty. While I do prefer to use a controller 90% of the time, there are times where I prefer to use voice/motion. An example, if I just turned on my 360 and I want to play a kinect game (especially the ones that don't allow you to use the controller for menu navigation). Rather than having to wait for the controller to connect only for me to have to turn it off right away (or let my batteries slowly drain away) I'm much preferring to just have to say "Xbox Kinect Play Game"

EDIT: In cases though where you aren't going to play a kinect game, I do have to agree that voice navigation is completely useless.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
l.maciver

xvampmanx's Gamercard
Just wait until Kinect hears a Scottish assent, then there will be problems. lol
the DS couldnt pick it up and either cant computer answer phones.

l.maciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Mr Wafu

mr wafu's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSoth View Post
I live in Canada as well and from what little voice tests I did it works for me. Not too sure why you though we would not have it work for us though.
The gossip was that Canada wouldn't get it because there was a Canadian law requiring French alongside English in this sort of thing, or something. I suppose that's not really the case then.

They've said Australia isn't getting voice recognition until next year. I hope I can just switch over to US for it or something... (they can handle the fifty billion British and American accents but the two Australian accents are too much effort?!)
Mr Wafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #10
mrichmon

TipsyMar's Gamercard
For what it's worth, my accent is a random combination of UK, Australia, and US. (Lived in all countries at various times.) I usually have problems with voice recognition systems borking on my accent. With the Kinect I've had no problems.

My American wife who has picked up a lot of my combined accent is having no problems either. In fact, Kinectimals rejected her naming her cub "Punk". Not sure if this is a random rejection or whether the XBox did full speech to text and has a rejection list.
mrichmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 AM   #11
dark lord me

Dark lord x360a's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wafu View Post
The gossip was that Canada wouldn't get it because there was a Canadian law requiring French alongside English in this sort of thing, or something. I suppose that's not really the case then.

They've said Australia isn't getting voice recognition until next year. I hope I can just switch over to US for it or something... (they can handle the fifty billion British and American accents but the two Australian accents are too much effort?!)
Yeah in Canada thanks to quebec we have to have everythin in both languages ( But they violate the constitution and made french the official language in the province ) Anyways I dont see why they wouldn't allow the English part

dark lord me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
WiccaGal

Well, as of the time of this post, it is currently November 2011 and we here in Australia are still waiting for voice recognition. However it would seem that some games with voice contriol still seem to work. For example I downloaded a demo Dance Central 2 yesterday and the voice commands worked ok. So I don't know why Microsoft is taking so long.
WiccaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
Sardaukar

elite0sardaukar's Gamercard
The whole waiting for voice activation in Australia is just poor form on Microsofts behalf, I doubt I'll ever have a need or much desire for voice activation but I'd like it there for the occasional "Im to drunk to read the screen" occurrence
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
cazzandra

Are the voice commands not for all countries? I live in Sweden can I use voice comands? I tried to talk to the dashboard but nothing happend. Is it also not availible in the games then?
cazzandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #15
kaleido42
CET

kaleido42's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzandra View Post
Are the voice commands not for all countries? I live in Sweden can I use voice comands? I tried to talk to the dashboard but nothing happend. Is it also not availible in the games then?
Might work, but I doubt it. You'll have to say "xbox" each time you want to start using it. Not sure if support in games is the same regions or if it's up to developers, either way I know that as well is fairly limited still.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
Shu Shu 89

Shu Shu 89's Gamercard
Too bad I live in Belgium... Voice commands don't work here Would be cool if they did tho
Shu Shu 89 is offline   Reply With Quote