PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Fighting > Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
thereefernander

thereefernander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Is it worth it?

I downloaded the demo thinking it's on sale for a really great deal (Deal of the week 400MSP) and played it a little. I just have a fear of it become very repetitive. Like punch punch, kick kick, throw blah. Seems like the whole game will consist of the same thing. What do you think of it? Also and it's replay value?

thereefernander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
lu3mm3l

lu3mm3l's Gamercard
It's pretty repetitive but it's also fun. Well at least I had a lot of fun and I played 6x (one time with each character and once on hard) through it plus a lot of stages just to get more money to get my stats up. Still having fun to play it in coop. It requires a bit more technique on the later levels like (small) combos, throwing or the use of weapons but if you get bored fast it's not the right game for you. As I said: I did some stages like 3-4 times to get more money because it gets pretty hard if you're not prepared correctly (leveling up, getting more strength and stuff).
Old 11-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Agefist

Agefist's Gamercard
Great deal

This game is fun, especially if you like side scrolling beat-em-up style games. Kind of reminds me of Streets of Rage on Sega.
Agefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
UnknownPleasures

New Zer0 Kanada's Gamercard
Its a fun beat em up and for 5 bucks its worth it.

UnknownPleasures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
spectreon

spectreon's Gamercard
Most definitely worth the 400 msp it is this week!!! Almost worth the full 800, if only it had online co-op... oh well I held out for 400 msp and now I've got it!!!

Just finished play through 1 in one night, given you need to do 4-5its not to bad, just make sure you spend money on upgrading Strength first, game becomes super easy!
spectreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
Mgetter

MGetter's Gamercard
is it as frustrating as super meat boy can be? just finished that, looking to get this on sale, but i dont want another frustration fest
Mgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
spectreon

spectreon's Gamercard
Havent played Super Meat Boy, but I'm guessing no where near as frustrating... Most frustration will come from the beggining but once you start leveling and boosting stats its a breeze, plus you can use The Sword of Love cheat making this game fairly easy. I plan to have all my play throughs done by Sunday and I just started last night... if you have the time I'd say it can easily be done in one day (4-8 hrs)
Old 11-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Mgetter

MGetter's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreon View Post
Havent played Super Meat Boy, but I'm guessing no where near as frustrating... Most frustration will come from the beggining but once you start leveling and boosting stats its a breeze, plus you can use The Sword of Love cheat making this game fairly easy. I plan to have all my play throughs done by Sunday and I just started last night... if you have the time I'd say it can easily be done in one day (4-8 hrs)
Wow, that seems short but for five bucks, not bad. i played the demo. doesnt seem nearly so frustrating as super meat boy, but repetitiveness could be an issue. either way, i always seem to overanalyze the situation before i buy a game and usually, i can tell if im going to enjoy a game (usually)
Mgetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
spectreon

spectreon's Gamercard
Most XBLA games arent very long, and for $5 its well worth it

Side note you can make this game as easy or as hard or as long or as quick as you want... But why make it more difficult?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:10 AM   #10
Mancerelectro

mancerelectro's Gamercard
I'll be honest, at first the game felt super repetitive. Then, as it went along and I started buying different upgrades, it became a lot more fun. Each enemy fights differently, there are more than a few completely off the wall enemies, and the boss battles are crazy fun. I dunno how many times I've played Matt's stage just because it's so much fun kicking his butt over and over. That, and once you are super-bulked up, it's fun to see how fast you can kill a boss. Especially some of the more troublesome ones.

Hell, I even played through my first time on super supreme. Was it hard? Yes. Was it worth it? Hell yes. This game feels very much like a modern version of River City Ransom.
Mancerelectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #11
Mancerelectro

mancerelectro's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectreon View Post
Most XBLA games arent very long, and for $5 its well worth it

Side note you can make this game as easy or as hard or as long or as quick as you want... But why make it more difficult?
If you are just going for achievements, I could not agree more. But after playing a few games simply for achievements, and focusing heavily on achievements can take away some of the fun of the game. It's part of the reason I always pick the highest difficulty right away. That, and when I go back to clean up achievements I missed on lower difficulties, it's always funny to completely beat the snot out of a game that gave you so much hardship.
Mancerelectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #12
spectreon

spectreon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancerelectro View Post
If you are just going for achievements, I could not agree more. But after playing a few games simply for achievements, and focusing heavily on achievements can take away some of the fun of the game. It's part of the reason I always pick the highest difficulty right away. That, and when I go back to clean up achievements I missed on lower difficulties, it's always funny to completely beat the snot out of a game that gave you so much hardship.
Just finished up the last achievement (had horrible luck finding Chau) but still wanna complete a 6th play through with the unlocked character, and possible the dlc character too, even if there is no new achievements.... this was a really fun game, though I'm still sore it didnt have online co-op
Old 11-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #13
thereefernander

thereefernander's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I might pass....maybe..

thereefernander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
Redskinsfan26

Thrashballer's Gamercard
The only thing that sucks about this game is sitting through the long ass credits. Other than that, it's a great XBLA game.
Redskinsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
AcidGlowx81

acidglowx81's Gamercard
Boring gampley. very repetative. and the combos suck and are too short. Castle Crashers is FAR better and it has ONLINE co-op.. something this game missed out on.

Scott is worth 100MSP. pfft. piece of trash game..
Old 01-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
BROWN 74

BROWN 74's Gamercard
ya those credits WTF ? I couldnt believe that you couldnt skip that shit even the forth time I watched it. Scott Pilgim is one of my favorite arcade games actually it reminds me of being a kid again and the fact Im from Toronto and the game takes place their kinda helps I guess.
BROWN 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
Berserk117

Berserk117's Gamercard
i loove this game. i played it after i watched the movie in theaters :P and the movie was amazing too. RAMONA FLOWERS!! acidglow i have both castle crashers and scott pilgrim and they are both amazing. but both games after you play them a while get very repetative. online co op was the only thing that scott pilgrim game did not get which does suck. but still good game.

Berserk117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #18
LuizBatistaE

LuizBatista's Gamercard
Itīs a good game, but i say it's most for the people who likes arcade games, from the old school. Hope you enjoy it.
LuizBatistaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
diabolix

raimondb's Gamercard
Its a very good game played its so many times and even fun in Co-op. Only the ending credits are too long!!
diabolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #20
Chimpman23

chimpman 23's Gamercard
i love scott pilgrim.. it is a bit of just punch puch kick kick... but it is sooo fun
Chimpman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #21
my psychologist

my psychologist's Gamercard
i think it is, especially at the 400 price, give it a try!
my psychologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:05 AM   #22
Efinijon

Efinijon's Gamercard
I just downloaded this game and it is pretty fun. It reminds me of River City Ransom, which I think is a all time great game. I would recomend it. Plus, it has some cool nods to other old school games like the Mario 2 selection screen and Pac-Man Ghost graffiti.
Efinijon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #23
TheBritt2001

Send a message via ICQ to TheBritt2001 Send a message via AIM to TheBritt2001 Send a message via MSN to TheBritt2001

thebritt2001's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidGlowx81 View Post
Boring gampley. very repetative. and the combos suck and are too short. Castle Crashers is FAR better and it has ONLINE co-op.. something this game missed out on.

Scott is worth 100MSP. pfft. piece of trash game..
Are you trying to say that Castle Crashers isn't repetitive? Seriously??

I have both games, and they're both great, but I would say Scott Pilgrim is better; the animations are nicer and the style is better, the enemies are marginally more interesting and the music is better.

That doesn't mean that Castle Crashers had bad animations, style, enemies or music. In fact they're all great in CC too! But Scott Pilgrim's is better. Having said that I found Castle Crashers to be a longer game, though that doesn't help much with the 'repetitive' factor. But the beauty of both games is that they're XBLA games; you can't sell them on so they'll be around forever. If ever you fancy getting back into it somewhere down the line, it'll still be there for you to come back to, which might break that 'repetitive streak' some would feel.

That's not to say, mind, that SP is flawless. It's not. There's lots of problems with it and things I felt could have been done much better but weren't (and worst of all some bad things in it I put down to laziness). But if you're after a bit of fun and a game that reminds you of Streets of Rage, or more so Double Dragon, then this is the one for you! Castle Crashers is quite a bit different from those old games though, your weapons are permanent equips, whilst SP, like Rage or Double Dragon, you can pick up random objects on the level (some plain weird, others just unexpected). Best part of SP was the Todd Ingram fight; fantastic.
TheBritt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #24
jkr363

jkr363's Gamercard
of course its the same thing all the way through. but xmen and tmnt were great as long you were playing coop, and at 5$ it was a steal no?
jkr363 is offline   Reply With Quote