PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Simulation > Apache: Air Assault
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #1
arete

aretebk's Gamercard
Demo out

The demo for Apache: Air Assault appeared on the XBL today. Comment on what you think of it
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
danowat32

danowat32's Gamercard
I only managed to have a quick 10 min go this morning, but I was impressed.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Wicelow

Wicelow's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Downloading it right now.

I used to play a lot of Desert Strike as a kid, hopefully the game will remind me the good ol' time

Wicelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Warden1972

Warden1972's Gamercard
I have to say that I'm impressed as well. It's definitely a budget game in terms of presentation, but the graphics are quite detailed and the controls are smooth and intuitive after some practice despite the unusual scheme. I find most flying games tedious after a while and I will surely feel the same about this one, but I'll most likely add it to my GameFly queue anyway.

Also, I'm sure there will be some sort of "realistic difficulty" achievement, but I hope you don't have to play the entire campaign that way. I lost track of how many times I crashed and oversteered and drifted past my target because of the very unforgiving controls on Realistic. Not sure if I will have the patience to get the hang of it.
Warden1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #5
danowat32

danowat32's Gamercard
Realistic controls are quite good, although there is a wierd "collective hold" thing that goes on that I can't quite get my head around, sometimes it holds the collective (and engine torque) for you, other times, it doesn't.

I imagine its there as an assist, as I think it would be very difficult to control it accurately (and constantly) enough with the pad.

Other thing I would add is that the enemy AI is a bit too good, the idea behind an Apache is the whole "sneak up behind the enemy, rise up and kill" type of warfare, and on the second mission, when you could actually do this, the enemy know you are there before you even get there, negating any chance for stealth.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Mr Wafu

mr wafu's Gamercard
The first complaint that comes to mind is that the controls are a bit silly- there's two buttons for mission objectives, and B takes you to the gun cam, but doesn't quit it- it then cycles the two different modes, and Y quits. Wouldn't it make sense for B to be both enter and exit from gun cam, and Y to be mode cycle, since it already performs something similar (view change) in the regular controls?

Considering that's a minor gripe that won't be a bother after getting used to the controls, I think they've done quite well with the demo. Looking forward to the full game.
Mr Wafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #7
Turkdaballa6

T6 EVO's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicelow View Post
Downloading it right now.

I used to play a lot of Desert Strike as a kid, hopefully the game will remind me the good ol' time
Haha me too, i played Desert Strike hardcore. It kinda reminded me off it but with a lot better graphics haha (no sh1t right?).

Not sure if its worth the bucks to "buy" but rent for sure.
Turkdaballa6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
ONE Disco Bob

ONE Disco Bob's Gamercard
wish they would have included co-op in the demo. was hoping i could persuade a couple friends into trying it maybe get them interested in picking it up. still the game looks like it will be a lot of fun.
ONE Disco Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
arete

aretebk's Gamercard
I just wish that the pilot/gunner coop mode would have been over live. Me and my friend would have had a blast with that. We love being tactical in even the most arcadey shooters, constantly collaborating. This would take it to a whole other level.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:45 AM   #10
acurate bob

Acurate Bob's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by arete View Post
I just wish that the pilot/gunner coop mode would have been over live. Me and my friend would have had a blast with that. We love being tactical in even the most arcadey shooters, constantly collaborating. This would take it to a whole other level.
100% agree with you. Okay so it's not online, but at least it's there at all. So you can't have your gunner buddy at home. But since my GF likes to watch. She can shoot too. Lol.

But this demo has been what iv waited for ages for. We havnt really had a decent chopper game since Novalogic's Comanche series SOOOO many years ago.

I will be picking this up. Will be epic.

Also I love the controls. I dunno why some people having problems with the realistic settings, but for me training difficulty is just that. Training. I didn't like that way. Put it onto realistic and had such a better game. The collective is the amount of force applied to the chopper in the indicated direction. This is not easily negated. Basically slow down before turning. Otherwise the chopper will bank back where you were going. Most likly into a mountain. Remember to slow then bank.
100,000 - 19:50, 28/10/10. Apache Air Assault - Touchdown.

Most Proud 1000: Dead Space/The Saboteur
Most Depressing 1000: The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Last edited by acurate bob; 11-08-2010 at 07:49 AM.
acurate bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 PM   #11
bro5

bro5's Gamercard
The co-op was the only thing I didn't like about this game. Meaning I was hoping that I could do it through XBL. I wonder if you can do a system link and still get the co-op achievements? I like the realistic mood because when in training mode I felt like I couldnt do to much.
bro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
kriscakegravy

kriscakegravy's Gamercard
i though it was good but a tad too 'sim'y. i'll still rent it though. seems like it would be kinda fun
kriscakegravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
judd90

Judd90's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
You just mega bumped this thread lol.

I will get this one day when its $5.