Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Splatterhouse
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Incognito

RicAlmighty's Gamercard
This game is (partially) crap.

EDITED TO CLARIFY.

I was a huge fan of the original and the early console ports so I grabbed this as soon as I could.

Big mistake.

The platform parts of this game are garbage. And the sad thing is it's not because of the story or the graphics, but because of the broken gameplay. The platformer parts are some of the worst I've ever played in my life. Insta-Kills everywhere, no indication of what you're supposed to do, where you're supposed to go, nothing.

The part in Phase 5 where you're supposed to Spider-Man across the bridge was one of the single worst designed platform levels in the history of gaming. I must have done it (exaggeration) 30 times before I got across. And none of it was my fault. The game just decided that a random piece of wood should fall down and trigger the falling down animation, which doesn't recover until it's far too late to make another jump.

Once enemies begin a combo, you just stand there and take the damage until they're finished. The camera is just horrible, sometimes turning you in completely the wrong direction, or pinning you in a corner.

I could go on and on, but why bother. What a complete and total disappointment for a game that was delayed over a year.

This is my vote for the biggest disappointment for 2010, hands down.

Last edited by Incognito; 11-29-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
DeltaKappaEcho

DeltaKappaEcho's Gamercard
If you think this is the WORST platformining in gaming, you must not play games. And I have to doubt you are a fan of the olds when you say it took you 30 tries because of random wood... you should have discovered on your second (third max) that a piece of debris ALWAYS falls on the last two broken bridge sections so if you wait a second it falls and then you jump. Really simple especially compared to the old games which also gave you limited health in each level and was WAY harder and cheap then the new one which gives you purchasable health upgrades VERY early and a heal ability. I was never one hit killed by an enemy even on Brutal difficulty unless my health was minimal. Don't complain about a game simply because you're no good at it.
DeltaKappaEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Incognito

RicAlmighty's Gamercard
Ah yes, the old "you suck at the game" response from a one-post wonder.

Thank you for your critique, It will be noted. Now back under the bridge.

Last edited by Incognito; 11-27-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Genetic Carnage

K1LLING J0KE's Gamercard
I'm having trouble with S ranking a couple of arenas because of the spaztastic camera whipping all around, and yes, quite a few times the blue veined ghouls have juggled me to death, but I don't think it's the worst game of the year. The "lava" ghouls toward the end can juggle you even if you hit them with a weapon and don't actually touch them. And once my son walked through the wall and fell into oblivion. It's got some broken gameplay, but the good stuff makes it worth a try at least.

Personally I love it, they got everything right but some wonky gameplay chunks. Some extra time in QA would have fixed that.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
BillyKlyde

BillyKlyde's Gamercard
Seriously, the game has its bugs (as does any), but it's not as earth shattering or dream crushingly bad as you make it out to be. This is a hack and slash game, I'm tired of people expecting so much from it. Besides the originls are ten times more frustrating than this one. There are WAAAAYYY worse 3D platforming games in video game history, to throw this game into that category just shows a lack of knowledge and experience in said genre.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
DeltaKappaEcho

DeltaKappaEcho's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post

I registered simply to point out the obvious. I am NOT saying the game is perfect or that you have to like it or that some stuff couldn't have been done better but your exact example is BS - "random piece of wood"? It isn't random , it's on a fixed pattern like most of the old games platform sections. I'm not saying you suck, YOU saying it took 30 tries and you still think it was random is saying you suck. And the one hit kill BS isn't really disproving it as this game is easy even on Hard thanks to the upgrades with the biggest challenge being S ranks in the final Challenge rooms... and that's still easier then beating the 3 old Splatterhouse games. I apologize if I sound like a jerk but you are simply complaining because you aren't good. Maybe you should lower the difficulty and upgrade some of the skills (health first) before complaining about the gameplay being "broken". Or try to beat more than the first level of the old games because THOSE games could be truly frustrating.
DeltaKappaEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #7
TURBO XLR

TURBO XLR's Gamercard
You know from my experience with it and comparing it to other hack and slashers that I have played it ain't as good as some but still better than others. I see Splatterhouse as a mixed bag, sure it has cheep deaths but its like the original trilogy "its only easy if you know how" kind of game meaning you know whats up ahead and you know how to handle it after a few tries. Trust me its a bit of challenge to get 1000GS only cause of the survival arena achievements are a bitch but compared to the original trilogy it doesn't hold a candle to its difficulty.

But is this game crap? Maybe but it ain't the worst in its genre there are quite a few that are worse than Splatterhouse.*coughOnichanbaracough*

Btw Jim Cummings is a riot as the Terror Mask end of xD.
TURBO XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
Genetic Carnage

K1LLING J0KE's Gamercard
Damnit, now DKE is a TWO-POST WONDER!
Old 11-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
Incognito

RicAlmighty's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO XLR View Post
You know from my experience with it and comparing it to other hack and slashers that I have played it ain't as good as some but still better than others. I see Splatterhouse as a mixed bag, sure it has cheep deaths but its like the original trilogy "its only easy if you know how" kind of game meaning you know whats up ahead and you know how to handle it after a few tries. Trust me its a bit of challenge to get 1000GS only cause of the survival arena achievements are a bitch but compared to the original trilogy it doesn't hold a candle to its difficulty.

But is this game crap? Maybe but it ain't the worst in its genre there are quite a few that are worse than Splatterhouse.*coughOnichanbaracough*

Btw Jim Cummings is a riot as the Terror Mask end of xD.
I agree with this totally. Was I a little harsh in the first post? Yea, but I was venting a bit. I love this series and even though the original games were hard, they were well designed. I just feel that this game could have been better designed.

I wasn't complaining at all about the difficulty. I like difficult games if they reward the player and don't get in their way. I feel that this game gets in the way too much.

I think the voice acting is great though. Maybe now that I have a powered up Splatter Smash, I can work around some of the issues.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
TURBO XLR

TURBO XLR's Gamercard
Quote:
I agree with this totally. Was I a little harsh in the first post? Yea, but I was venting a bit. I love this series and even though the original games were hard, they were well designed. I just feel that this game could have been better designed.

I wasn't complaining at all about the difficulty. I like difficult games if they reward the player and don't get in their way. I feel that this game gets in the way too much.

I think the voice acting is great though. Maybe now that I have a powered up Splatter Smash, I can work around some of the issues.
OK that I can agree the design of the some segments (particularly the platform elements) were bad and could have been done better but like I said before there has been worse and even though I was raging at it before myself you can't be mad at for long cause really I like killing everything in Splatterhouse its so much fun xD.
TURBO XLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #11
NinjaPhilly

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Well read the original post and I've not ran into any of those issues while getting my 1K, sure a few parts took a little working out but nothing major. As for the enemies doing you in with combo's, just keep an eye out and simply roll out of the way and then unleash hell. By doing this enemies only landed one hit on me before I obliterated them. Camera can be a bit off at times but I handled that with use of the RS.

Stop moaning and man up. lul

NinjaPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #12
Mancerelectro

mancerelectro's Gamercard
You know, this game is very true to it's arcade predecessor. Trial and error, difficult fights, having to learn what works best, and getting around the annoying parts. Honestly, the only complaint I've had about this game is the camera, and I've been able to in every battle find a place where not only can I totally wail on the enemy, but the camera won't go all wonky either.

Also, this game has some of my favorite boss battles of a hack'n'slash/beat'em up game I've ever played. While the same basic ideal of "dodge and counterattack" persists through most of the bosses, I never once said "wow, lame. This guy is just like that other one I fought." Also, a large amount of the enemies and bosses are from the Splatterhouse arcade. (Furniture throwing, chainsaw boss, boreworms, Evil "Jen," Evil/Shadow Ricks, as well as the ghouls and forgotten) Honestly, if you loved the arcade version, you should find more to love about this game than anything. Hell, you even GET the original arcade version in this game! How cool is that?
Mancerelectro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
DarkSephiroth

DarkSephiroth07's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Over Achiever - Silver   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
@ op

I'm sorry you feel that way because I'm enjoying every second of this game only couple things annoyed me in my playthrough; those couple platform parts and the difficulty that jumps at the end of the game (still wasn't annoyingly hard).

You just have to get through those moments and you're back on the splattering! This is one of my favorite games this year because fable 3 was lamer than 2 and I don't play COD games, Reach was pretty epic but not the best game of the year.

Thanks to Rep for this sick picture!
My Guides: DFL, DW8, RE Code Veronica X Battle mode
Completed 137:
Retail: 85 Arcade: 52 (excluding DLC I don't have)
http://www.youtube.com/user/HybridDarkSephiroth
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
longdillon1

MAVERICKDILLON's Gamercard
If you play this game for what it is, it is a great game. Dont expect alot and it will be a great game. Ive never played another game like it. I think its pretty fuckin awesome! People will bitch if its too gory or not enough. You cant please everybody. This game kicks ass!
longdillon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #15
T0b3

Send a message via ICQ to T0b3 Send a message via AIM to T0b3 Send a message via MSN to T0b3 Send a message via Yahoo to T0b3 Send a message via Skype™ to T0b3

t0b3 zero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Hell no, I completely disagree.
This game is f-ing badass.

SPOILER
Fighting that chainsaw monster with Lamb of God in the background is just pure epicness.
SPOILER

100% Retail:
44 | 100% Arcade: 92
trueachievements
99999 GS achieved 09/07/2011

Last edited by T0b3; 11-28-2010 at 08:57 PM.
T0b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
FakeJamaican

modestmouse007's Gamercard
this game is pretty fucking tedious and is just plain stupid at parts. I agree the platforming sections are just uncalled for. Also, the game has pretty bad action sequences which never really make a difference. There were times i'd be prompted to hit X, Y, B or A and I wouldn't hit it and i'd still pull off the execution. This game is worth about 14.99 in the sticky bin after Christmas.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #17
Suki

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
its pretty simple when yr expectaions are high for anythin be it a game or film or even a holiday etc.. its always a disapointment things never live up to yr expectations, i dont expect anything from anything or anybody that ways im rarely disapointed and suprisingly happy with things most of the time.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:36 PM   #18
Azrael008uk

Azrael008uk's Gamercard
Quote:

Actually he's got a point.

Just like the arcade originals you have to watch for the patterns and move at the right time.

On the bridge you simply wait for the piece of wood to fall, then jump.

This is a great game that's really fun to play. You're misleading people with the title as you freely admit you're struggling with the game and it took you 30 tries to defeat this simple section of the game.

There are moments when you will think "Wow, that looks a little rough" and the game is uneven in it's final polish.

However there are far more times that you will be laughing out loud and thinking to yourself "Wow, that was amazing".

It's a fun game and things aren't too complex. If you're struggling at a section, slow down a minute and pay attention and the solution will present itself.

Az

pixels
Azrael008uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
Mr G85X

Mr G85x's Gamercard
There's no denying the game mechanics are broken and bug filled.
But what I dislike about it the most is the case reads "an original storyline penned by blah blah blah" when it's actually mostly ripping off lovecrafts Herbert west; reanimator. Even the last level is covered in cthuhlu statues and west says cthuhlu incantations a bunch of times.

Pure cheap.

On a side note when I went to buy this on morning of release, they only had a single copy on sale. Not even enough to put on shelves. Maybe namco had second thoughts about releasing this gash?

Mr G85X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 AM   #20
TxsChilliBowl84

TxsChilliBowl84's Gamercard
Crap? You could make an arguement. But it's not the worst game to come out. Glad I rented instead of buying this one.
TxsChilliBowl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #21
Xashern

Xashern's Gamercard
I loved everything about this reboot/remake with the exception of ending (hopefully they'll put together a dlc add-on chapters). I never really encountered anything broken outside of a sound glitch and one console freezing.

As far as ripping off H.P. Lovecraft's work. Personally i thought it was a greatly done considering all the various Easter eggs from other horror films they spotlighted.

I mean games from the eighties had a vary basic premise, as far as the comment regarding not having many copies in stores. That comes down to the demographic of gamers.

I mean i only played the original splatterhouse like twice but always remember it, much like most of the people that did pick it up were fans of the original trilogy. Its not really a game you can run tv commercials for and limited to online websites or magazine ad's like the playboy one they did with Jenny.

Worth 65 bucks ? only if you pre-ordered from Gamestop and are getting the statue of the terror mask. I would consider Splatterhouse a 40 dollar game.

I did enjoy the soundtrack enough to go out and buy the songs featured in it though
Xashern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
Evo Kazz

II Kazz II's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Over Achiever - Platinum   XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 6 (more» ...)
Quote:

Lmao, this reply rocked.

Evo Kazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #23
SideshowN

SideshowN's Gamercard
Played the game all the way through and thought it was fun. Just like MOST games nowadays, the game gets pretty damn repetitive for the last couple of chapters because your mostly killing the same type of enemies you've seen before. There was some QTE for the some of the last enemies that I could not counter no matter how fast I was tapping on the buttons. This is a good game. Not a great game. Lets just be happy it did not get canceled.
SideshowN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
TheToiletBrush

TheToiletBrush's Gamercard
Quote:

Ha! Good post, dude.

LOOKING FOR BOOSTING PARTNERS: Singularity, Wolfenstien, F.E.A.R. 2, Crysis 2, Frontline: Fuel of War, Call of Juarez, Prey, Turning Point, The Darkness
TheToiletBrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #25
chanman

oCH40T1C CH4No's Gamercard
I think this game is awesome! Sometimes the camera angles are bad, but I'm having fun for the most part.

chanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #26
oRedBull

TBS Nuka Cola's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Up until a week ago, I thought this was an arcade game. 'Nuff said.
oRedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #27
F Swan

Ferocious Swan's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
its pretty simple when yr expectaions are high for anythin be it a game or film or even a holiday etc.. its always a disapointment things never live up to yr expectations, i dont expect anything from anything or anybody that ways im rarely disapointed and suprisingly happy with things most of the time.
This ...

The games I look forward to inevitably end up being rubbish, or at least very poor.
F Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #28
Darkling26

LCpl Doom's Gamercard
Wow, this sounds just like a review I read on IGN.com. I honestly don't get why people bashing this game something awful.

I haven't had any issues on knowing where to go or what to do. I rarely died and if I did was out of my own stupidity or over eagerness. graphics aren't what make a game good. It could have shitty graphics and still be a bad ass game. As for the gore and violence the graphics made it that much more fun to play.

Broken game play. I ask where? I hardly noticed anything wrong with the games mechanics.

if a monster is using a combo on you use blood siphon and or go berzerk really fast, If you have your upgraded roll you take no dmg while rolling.

I honor your opinion on the game. I just don't get what was so horrible for you as I have not found any issues with the game as far as game mechanics go.
Darkling26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #29
QuasidodoJr

QuasidodoJr's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Book Club
I just recently finished it. And I agree with the OP. This game is not very good. The combat is decent, but it certainly has issues. The Splatterkills being one of them (a bit tedious, wouldn't ya say?). The random occurrence where you get juggle-killed by enemies can be extremely annoying. Especially since some of the checkpoints are quite lengthy. Add the ridiculous load times on top of it all, and you have a shit sandwich of frustration.

The platforming is terrible. Luckily, there's not much of it.

Side-scrolling segments - neat, at first, but still crap. I can't remember how many times I would get stuck between two environmental traps knocking me back and forth until I was either dead or nearly dead.

This is a mediocre game, at best. Rent it, get the achievement points and forget about it.
QuasidodoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 AM   #30
GamingEconomist
Banned User

GamingEconomist's Gamercard
I like this game. Only Complain are Freezing Problems all the time. I had those issues three times now.

But overall its ok for Achievements, except those S Rankings. The Enemies are no problem at all except those blue Ghouls, they are a pain in the ass.

My verdict 7 out of 10 and thats ok for Splatterhouse, cause why complaining it has the arcade originals as unlockables.
GamingEconomist is offline   Reply With Quote