Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Games for Windows Live Games > Halo 2 Vista
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #1
prophet530

PROPHET 10K's Gamercard
Halo 2 PC Impressions

OK I just got this yesterday and spent a few hours on it. First off the voice acting is far superior to the original. The "banter" is funny and the impressions the marines have of you are really funny. They make comments like "hes not so tall" and "Green guy to the rescue".
The graphics are far superior even to the Halo 3 beta. Allthough the detail is not quite the same. The problem is its really choppy when you crank up the resolution. It also has serious frame rate issues at the higher resolutions. I had to turn it down to 800x600 and 75hz to get a decent frame rate. The controller interface seems to be laggy. Aiming is difficult in tight quarters. If you use the sniper rifle you want to be in decent cover.
My computer is 5 days old and a good middle of the road machine with a 32" 720p monitor. I have all the latest drivers installed and it still has issues. I have talked to several other people who have vista machines and all say the same thing. It has a really hard time maintaining 30fps plus in any action sequence. This is not a Halo 2 specific issue it is a vista issue.
I would recommend you play it on lower difficulty settings until these issues are resolved. I can beat the 1st level in 28 minutes on legendary on my 360. I couldn't get past the cargo bay because the aiming was to laggy and I got killed by the dual weilding elites before I could noob combo them. On the lower difficulties if you take your time its passable.
On a 1-10 scale I would give it a 7.5 with the potential for 9.0 plus. With a few updates for drivers etc. I think Windows Live has real potential.
I will update this after I try the online
prophet530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
Slane

Send a message via AIM to Slane

madslane's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Aye with updates it will be fine. I don't have the greatest graphic card, infact last thing I need to do to my computer, but 800x600 is the only resolution that I can play it at and not have my game horribly messed up. Hopefully with new drivers and update that are bound to come it will improve all this.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #3
PhanPSO

Send a message via AIM to PhanPSO

PhanPSO's Gamercard
My computer meets the "recommended requiremenets" and it runs fine for me, the only problem I have is the occasional texture glitch/flicker, but it hasn't effected the gameplay for me any.

To me if looks and plays exactly like Halo 2 did on Xbox, just a bit faster since they upped the movement speed 10%.
PhanPSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #4
prophet530

PROPHET 10K's Gamercard
Mine meets them also my computer ranks as 5.3. Could just me my card needs updates.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
Slane

Send a message via AIM to Slane

madslane's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Mine rates as a 4.2 only because of graphics, everything else is 5.0+. So that says something right there.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:32 AM   #6
prophet530

PROPHET 10K's Gamercard
Ok got an update for my video card. Made a huge difference. Now it plays well and I forgot how much fun this game is.