PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Racing > Trials HD
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 PM   #1
BelatedHero

BelatedHero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
The infuriating back button

Ok, overall this game is great, but I have one huge complaint that nearly is making me throw my controller through the TV. Its the back button. I have three times today been about 2/3 through a difficult track, and my left thumb slips off the analog stick and strikes the back button sending me all the way to the beginning!

I realize its my own butterfingers, but with all the back and forth on the stick trying to do hops, its bound to happen.

Anyone else think that something like resetting the whole track should have to be done from the menu, or at least prompt for confirmation first?

EDIT: Make that four times..

Last edited by BelatedHero; 05-02-2010 at 11:09 PM.
BelatedHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
ThrustfulSteve

ThrustfulSteve's Gamercard
no trust me, the back button is the only thing thats stop me quiting on this game, if you had to quit out to the menu (like in tournaments) to start from the beginning of a track it would start to get so boring going for the platinums.
i have only ever pressed back by mistake when i was stoned and not paying attention, you must have very sweaty hands if you keep slipping off the stick and spamming the back button, try using the d-pad
ThrustfulSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
BelatedHero

BelatedHero's Gamercard

Well, actually, my thumb doesn't slide off it, its just easier to say that. What really happens is as I rapidly move the stick back and forth, the stick starts sliding down my thumb so its underneath the joint instead of on the fingertip. So when I do a quick whip to the right, the tip of my thumb hits the back button even though my thumb is still resting on the stick. Its really hard to describe so I just said it slips off.

I guess its just me. Though, it may have to do with the fact the little bumps on the stick have worn off from use. Maybe that is part of it.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
CypherDextrous

CypherDextrous's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I've been trying to get my times much faster, and since I only have 3 tracks left with 1 or 2 faults everything else is 0 faulted so I have a habit of pressing the back button alot, if i fault or don't think I was moving fast enough. Sometimes I'll have a really good run and press it by accident, which pisses me off alot. Just today i was at the end of diablo with no faults and platinum time, then I pressed the back button, needless to say thats when I turned the game off. It's annoying sometimes, but it's better than waiting longer to restart like tournaments..
CypherDextrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #5
TheMovement81

TheMovement81's Gamercard
Ok so I've been practicing my ass off on Inferno II. I can make it through most of the course but I haven't finished it yet (Still can't pass the last part where you bounce your tire on the steel beam and land on the wood plank). Anyway, in relation to this thread, when i'm trying to go back and forth with the left stick I also have the problem of my thumb slipping too far and hitting the back button.

One idea I have, and I don't know if this would be possible, is to mail Redlynx and see if they could somehow develop an update to the game that lets you disable the restart function of the back button, or maybe give the option to reassign it to say, the LB button (something more out of the way). Anyone agree with this, or have another idea for it? Do you think Redlynx would go for it?

Also, and this may sound crazy, but I have an old controller that doesn't get any use. The RB button is stuck because of a friend accidentally messing it up a while back. Anyway, my thought is, since the controller isn't that important to me, is to open it up and REMOVE the back button (the plastic button and/or the actual motherboard "button"). Has anyone tried to open a controller before or do you know how? I tried earlier but don't seem to have the right tool for the allen wrench/star shape looking screws in the back. Like I said, it sounds pretty ridiculous but I'm just curious if anyone has tried this or has any ideas.

What are your thoughts?
TheMovement81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
acdougla17

Th3 Dude I7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
The button is perfect where it is and I would never want to mess with it. I honestly cant believe that some people can hit it accidentally so much. I have done so accidentally only like 5 times in the hundreds of hours I have played. Maybe some people are just too jumpy on the joystick or move their hands around too much. You really dont have too push them very far and in the case of Trials HD, its not always the greatest idea to smash the joystick from side to side very fast. You want to keep a nice, smooth motion (most of the time).
PRE-PATCH MARATHON Trials HD- (10/3/09-11:38 PM)

acdougla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
BelatedHero

BelatedHero's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdougla17 View Post
You really dont have too push them very far and in the case of Trials HD, its not always the greatest idea to smash the joystick from side to side very fast. You want to keep a nice, smooth motion (most of the time).
Actually, since posting, I've gotten much better because I've since learned this. Before I was flicking it back and forth pretty much as fast as I could, but I am finding that a slower, more controlled, approach is better. And because I am not flicking as much, I don't really hit the back button on accident like I used to.

I'm still having a hard time passing "Going up" and "Inferno" (the only two I haven't).
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
TheMovement81

Yeah since posting I've also been working on making a smoother motion, and I also finally managed to pass Inferno II. The back button still messes with me sometimes, but I think I'll hold off on taking apart my old controller for the time being, lol.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 AM   #9
BelatedHero

BelatedHero's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovement81 View Post
Yeah since posting I've also been working on making a smoother motion, and I also finally managed to pass Inferno II. The back button still messes with me sometimes, but I think I'll hold off on taking apart my old controller for the time being, lol.
lol, congrats! I just passed Going up about 30 seconds ago. I'm really happy. Its taken me 4 days of trying to make it! I used about 250 faults, but mostly because I would reset before crashing because my problem was running out of time. So using a fault to save a couple seconds was worth it to me. Now I just need inferno and I got my chievo!

People that have done these extreme courses with zero faults and platinum times.... I just don't know how they got so good.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
TheMovement81

Good luck on Inferno II. I'm no pro by any means whatsoever but if you need some tips I may be able to help.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
acdougla17

Th3 Dude I7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelatedHero View Post

People that have done these extreme courses with zero faults and platinum times.... I just don't know how they got so good.
Its all just time spent playing and practice man. This game is really all about learning about how the bike reacts to every possible landing. Once you know what to expect, its all cake.
PRE-PATCH MARATHON Trials HD- (10/3/09-11:38 PM)

acdougla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Superbad325

Superbad325's Gamercard
I love the button! It's very handy for me!

Though I admit, I have inadvertently pressed it a couple of times when I didn't want to. Haha but that only happened around twice.

Superbad325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #13
BelatedHero

BelatedHero's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMovement81 View Post
Good luck on Inferno II. I'm no pro by any means whatsoever but if you need some tips I may be able to help.
Just finished it with less then 2 minutes remaining! It feels so SWEEEET!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
adammcd09

Send a message via MSN to adammcd09 Send a message via Skype™ to adammcd09

LulzYouMad's Gamercard
I was reading this earlier and thought how the hell can u press it accidentaly then on the last section of goin up I missed the thumbstick (WTF) and tapped it. after so long of that track I really CBA with it lol. I know I'll go back tomorrow because it will annoy me lol
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Logan I

Logan I's Gamercard
I personally love the back button... I don't think I have ever accidentally slipped off the joystick and hit it but I can see how that would be annoying. However I love the back button, the one complaint I have about it is that you can't restart a tournament with the back button, you have to quit out to the menu and start over...
Logan I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #16
tugboatman

D3L1V3R4NC3's Gamercard
the only time i have a problem with the back button is when im going for gold or platinum and maybe i need 1 fault an 2 min or something a i do fault then press back instead of B lol

Trials Evolution
Bronze : 79
Silver : 79
Gold : 79
Platinum : 78

SEND A MESSAGE WITH FRIEND REQUESTS OR THEY WILL BE IGNORED!!!
tugboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
T600p36

T600p36's Gamercard
after getting the Unyielding achievement, on the other tracks when i bailed i kept hitting the back button. very frustrating indeed. but no matter how much the game makes me mad i still play
T600p36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #18
BeerBelliedBear

BeerBelliedBear's Gamercard
So much rage for this game....back button included.
What Redlynx deserves:
BeerBelliedBear is offline   Reply With Quote