Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Panic!

RevolverReborn's Gamercard
'Open Tray' Error

Quite recently, every game/DVD I put in the Xbox just says 'Open tray' all the time yet the discs work perfectly on my brother's Xbox. Usually restarting the console once or twice fixes the problem but I'd like to just put in the disc and get on with it.

My mate says I might have the 'Open Tray' Error. What is this? How could I possibly fix this? Thx.
Panic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
judd90

Judd90's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Its your laser dieing i'd say.

Is it under warranty? If so send it off.

You haven't tampered with it have you?

Mine does it all the time now but i'm out of warranty
Old 12-06-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd90 View Post
Its your laser dieing i'd say.

Is it under warranty? If so send it off.

You haven't tampered with it have you?

Mine does it all the time now but i'm out of warranty
Nope. I may have to send it away. It's an annoying problem.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
Lucent Beam

Send a message via AIM to Lucent Beam

Lucent Beam's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Referrals - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Is it a regular 360 (as in, not a slim)?

It's likely that your laser is stuck.
I fixed my sister's boyfriend's Open Tray error by putting a random burned music CD in (just in case it got messed up), and hitting the top of the Xbox pretty hard where the laser moves as I closed the disc tray and once it was closed. Look up online where the laser should be moving back and forth.

No joke though... sometimes you can fix the Open Tray error just by hitting the Xbox and knocking the laser back into the place.

Last edited by Lucent Beam; 12-07-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Lucent Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
BroadbandBear

BroadbandBear's Gamercard
I had the exact same problem with my previous 360. The cause of the "open tray" problem was that my console had sustained structural damage near the disk drive due to falling. Regardless of the cause only one thing can really be done. Since this error doesn't fix itself over time like we wish it would, I'd just send it away for repairs.

Last edited by BroadbandBear; 12-07-2010 at 12:01 AM.
BroadbandBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
Panic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucent Beam View Post

I fixed my sister's boyfriend's Open Tray error by putting a random burned music CD in (just in case it got messed up), and hitting the top of the Xbox pretty hard where the laser moves as I closed the disc tray and once it was closed. Look up online where the laser should be moving back and forth.

No joke though... sometimes you can fix the Open Tray error just by hitting the Xbox and knocking the laser back into the place.
Xbox 360 Elite.

Thx for the advice, God knows I've felt like hitting this a time or to with this occurring problem LOL.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #7
davezpsp

KingRodedog's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucent Beam View Post

I did this for about two weeks, one night I tried for 20 mins. (usually would only take 5mins.) then I gave up and considered it dead, guess I'll be playin arcade games til the end of the month.

P.S. MS wants $99.99 to fix my xbox and Gamestop wants $119.99 for a used one and $20 for a 1yr. replacement plan. I think this is how xbox has become the number one selling system, we just buy new ones replace the broken!

1st PS3: 11/22/12-??/??/??
1st Xbox: 01/25/09-11/24/10(DVD Fail)
2nd Xbox: 12/23/10-10/02/11(DVD Fail)
3rd Xbox: 10/02/11-??/??/??
10,000GS: 08/28/10
20,000GS: 10/09/10
30,000GS: 12/09/10
40,000GS: 04/06/11
50,000GS: 12/29/11
davezpsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Hiigarian

Otseg0's Gamercard
I looked up some previous threads with this issue, and now I see that I'm not the only one, unfortunately.

So, I am a proud owner of the X360 Slim (4 GB version), and I have the misfortune of having the "Open Tray" error. For the past ten days or so, I had to open & close the drive several times before it would actually run something (and the laser was giving ink-jet printer-like sounds). However, since last night, it simply doesn't want to spin ANYTHING - it just says "Open Tray" and sits dead still. Unfortunately, I had no HDD to install games on, and the fact that I have played games straight from the drive has now came to bite me in the ass.

Also, I would like to point out that I have not tampered with the console, that I haven't modded it in any way, and that I only buy original games.

So, I'm fairly aware that my laser has died on me - the problem is, though, that my warranty has expired one month ago (God bless modern gadgets, they literally die SEVERAL DAYS AFTER the warranty expires), and that I live in a non-Xbox supported country. The X360 was bought in Austria, as a matter of fact, and sending it there for a repair would cost me somewhere around a half of the price of a new Xbox, which is, may I say, fucking unbelievable and is not happening by any chance.

The second option is that I can get the drive replaced here for a third of a price via guys who sell the consoles, games & accesories in a local hi-tech shop, but I'm afraid that I might get banned off Live if they mess something up with the drive (since it's basically breaking Terms & Conditions, and admins on Live might see that the drive was tampered with if not done properly).

So, what I would like to know is whether someone has done the second option, and if there were some repercussions (or lack of thereof)?

I am sorry if this is in any way contrary to the board's rules, so I apologize to the admins and I humbly ask of fellow X360-ers to send me a PM in case you have some info, but can't talk about it on this thread. Cheers, and tnx in advance.

100% Retail: 3 // 100% Arcade: 1 // 100% WP7: 4
Hiigarian is offline   Reply With Quote