PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password
 

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #1
Panic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 92

RevolverReborn's Gamercard
Anyway to delete game history with achievements?

Just wondering if there is anyway a game history can be deleted with achievements unlocked. I want to remove Crackdown as I only have 20G on it, even if it does remove 20G from my gamerscore.

If there's no way at all this can be done, I'm fine with it. Least 20G will still count. Thx.
Panic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
iNSANiTY
 
iNSANiTY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England.
Posts: 829

The Rig Show's Gamercard
I don't think there is, sorry. You can delete games with 0 gamescore on though.
iNSANiTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
In fact, some games that require you to purchase stuff to get 100% take advantage of this by unlocking an achievement as soon as you load the game up, even if you only downloaded it just to see what the heck it was. Microsoft's Game Room and Hasbro's Family Game Night are examples of this.

They hope that completionists who now can't delete the game history and would have otherwise not bothered with the game will spend money to keep their 100% intact (or as close to intact as possible).
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Panic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 92

RevolverReborn's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNSANiTY View Post
I don't think there is, sorry. You can delete games with 0 gamescore on though.
That's OK. Need to boost with someone on TNA iMPACT the game?
Panic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #5
Capn Doug
Community Completionist
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,817

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Green Thumb - Bronze
Total Awards: 46 (more» ...)
There are a bunch of reasons why they have not given us the ability to delete games with gamerscore, and have been discussed in similar threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
In fact, some games that require you to purchase stuff to get 100% take advantage of this by unlocking an achievement as soon as you load the game up, even if you only downloaded it just to see what the heck it was. Microsoft's Game Room and Hasbro's Family Game Night are examples of this.

They hope that completionists who now can't delete the game history and would have otherwise not bothered with the game will spend money to keep their 100% intact (or as close to intact as possible).
The completionist community is so miniscule that if that is their marketing strategy, they would be so far in the red, it isn't even funny. Even the achievement hunter community is small, given that this site has less than 1% of the XBox Live community as members, and the other achievement sites have maybe a quarter to a third of the membership of this site. It's not some vast conspiracy to trick you into buying shitty games, it's about when the developer thinks it is an appropriate time to reward the player.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (49) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (7) | Challenge Clubs (10 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #6
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
 
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,150

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
i bet its not as miniscule as you think

i mean its human nature to collect and horde crap. the fact that they have kept achievements going and that the ps3 got in on the action just proves that its not some silly thing that hardly anyone does.
__________________
Retail Games Boosting
Mortal Kombat
Army of Two tfd
AVP

Arcade Games Boosting
splosion man
metal slug 3 & dx
ChArG1nMaLAZ0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
The completionist community is so miniscule that if that is their marketing strategy, they would be so far in the red, it isn't even funny. Even the achievement hunter community is small, given that this site has less than 1% of the XBox Live community as members, and the other achievement sites have maybe a quarter to a third of the membership of this site. It's not some vast conspiracy to trick you into buying shitty games, it's about when the developer thinks it is an appropriate time to reward the player.
Who says it's a "marketing strategy"? If any business has an opportunity to make extra money out of 1% of their customer base at no cost to them, they're going to do it. Every time.

The entire decision probably went something like this:

Dev1: Hey, if we slap on a cheap achievement just for loading up the game, we might be able to get some completionists to buy some games that they wouldn't have bought just to keep their 100%.
Boss: Ok, How much will it cost us? How long will it take to program?
Dev2: Nothing, and I can have that done in a matter of minutes.
Boss: Sounds good. Go for it.
Dev1: Cool. Lunch time.

Why else would they put an achievement like that there? It costs them nothing and gets a handful of people to spend a little more cash. To completionists, it sucks, but from a business standpoint, it's a smart move.
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
Harry Lloyd
 
Harry Lloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rue d'Espoir
Posts: 651

THU31's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
There are a bunch of reasons why they have not given us the ability to delete games with gamerscore, and have been discussed in similar threads.



The completionist community is so miniscule that if that is their marketing strategy, they would be so far in the red, it isn't even funny. Even the achievement hunter community is small, given that this site has less than 1% of the XBox Live community as members, and the other achievement sites have maybe a quarter to a third of the membership of this site. It's not some vast conspiracy to trick you into buying shitty games, it's about when the developer thinks it is an appropriate time to reward the player.
I saw Game Room was free when it came out, so I downloaded it to check it out. But before I started it up I saw a reflection of a light bulb over my head in my TV. That's when I decided to sign in with another profile, and a relief came very quickly when an achievement popped up right away.
I would've been devastated if I had tried it with my main profile, I think I would've drunk for a week, and I don't drink at all.

Of course I'm not a whore, and I don't play just for achievements, but I only play games I really love and want to play for a very long time, so I like to get as many achievements for them as I can (just like getting 100% in-game progress before achievements existed).
I don't really play a lot of games (and I've already played pretty much all the older ones I was interested in), so I'll probably never hit 100k GS in my life, but I hope to have more than 90% GS for every game.


What I learned from Game Room is to test everything with my alternative profile first.


As for deleting games with GS, I'd really like that possibility. I'd surely remove a few games from my profile, only to have the best ones left.
__________________
Harry Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:13 AM   #9
Corrupt.
Lapsed Completionist
 
Corrupt.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 6,397

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff - Guide Team   Green Thumb - Gold   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Tyger7   Fight Club Challenge Club - Tier 1
Total Awards: 43 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
In fact, some games that require you to purchase stuff to get 100% take advantage of this by unlocking an achievement as soon as you load the game up, even if you only downloaded it just to see what the heck it was. Microsoft's Game Room and Hasbro's Family Game Night are examples of this.

They hope that completionists who now can't delete the game history and would have otherwise not bothered with the game will spend money to keep their 100% intact (or as close to intact as possible).
FGN is the worst example for this. Due to the licensing of Scrabble (it is licensed by different companies across the pond) I can never download scrabble for my xbox therefore can never complete it
__________________

Last edited by Corrupt.; 12-13-2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Millions of salmon
Corrupt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:54 AM   #10
Capn Doug
Community Completionist
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,817

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Green Thumb - Bronze
Total Awards: 46 (more» ...)
@Chromium Dragon

It is impossible to ascribe motivation to the situation you described. We don't know what the developers think unless they actually come out and tell us. I don't for a second believe that outside of possibly Game Room, that achievements have been used to sell a specific game. Sometimes the "thanks for playing the game" achievement is used for what looks like narrative purposes (Prince of Persia), other times it looks like a joke (Matt Hazard). However, I have never heard of a company using achievements in the marketing of a game unless they are speaking directly to the 1/10th of 1% of the xbox live population that is active on this site (ie. the Kinect games have achievements pitch).

I think you are trying to put your own ideas about the video game industry (and the world, for that matter) into a situation where it doesn't exactly apply.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (49) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (7) | Challenge Clubs (10 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 AM   #11
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
I think you are trying to put your own ideas about the video game industry (and the world, for that matter) into a situation where it doesn't exactly apply.
TL;DR version: Companies know there are obsessive completionists out there. You don't think they take advantage of that?

If you don't think business managers, developers, etc. don't sit around and come up with as many ideas as possible to squeeze every possible dollar out of its customers, you haven't sat in too many business meetings.

Trust me, any business who has an opportunity of squeezing even a few dollars out of that 1/10th of 1% of their customer base in a way that costs nothing and uses no resources is going to be all over that.

If I recall correctly, estimates of how much money you'd have to spend to go 1000/1000 in that game is somewhere around $85. Even if there are 100 people in this entire country that would shell out the money to keep their 100% intact, that's $8500 in free money they earned for tacking on an unavoidable 5g achievement.

Achievements/trophies have been out for, what, 4 years now? There are already studies being done that show that games with easier achievements tend to sell better, and harder achievements may hinder game sales as people who are on the fence about buying a game will pass if they think the achievements will ruin their completion percentage. Compaines take customers' opinions on achievements very seriously, and it is a part of their marketing strategy, even if it is only a small part, and they will use that data to maximize sales in any way they can come up with.
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
Wolfgg
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 199

Wolfgame's Gamercard
we should be able to request and remove / or delete in some way games that no longer have the online component required to get the achievements, if you decide to pick up some titles when their bargain price(any non blockbuster EA title or aged sports game) and then see online get pulled a couple of months later its just crazy, ... lord of the rings: conquest can go to hell.
__________________
Proudest Achievement

Lost Odyssey 100% (1100/1100)

Wolfgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #13
Capn Doug
Community Completionist
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,817

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Green Thumb - Bronze
Total Awards: 46 (more» ...)
@Chromium Dragon

Again, I said with the possible exception of Game Room. That game is a unique case, though. I might download it if there were enough games I wanted on it to make it worthwhile, but there are maybe half a dozen I would pay for right now.

I've seen speculation on the fact that easy achievements leads to better sales than hard achievements, but never any solid proof. It would help your arguement if you could cite your source. Yes, Lost Planet 2 didn't do well, but that could be because it was not a great game, was sadistically difficult and is in a category already occupied by two or three sales giants. Given those factors, would you still think it was the hard achievements that muted sales? What about GTA IV? It had some legendarily hard achievements and it is one of the best selling games on the 360. You can read the facts in a number of ways, you seem to have read them to mean that achievements are used to wring money out of the consumer. I think we are irrevokably on the opposite side of this argument, so I'll leave you with one point:

Krome Studios made Game Room. Krome Studios is now bankrupt (source). The game that more than any other used achievements as a way to get money out of completionists did not save Krome.

And @WolfGG: That topic has been discussed numerous times, I've made my opinion well known on that subject. If you want to find out the many reasons why I think it is a bad idea, please use the search function.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (49) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (7) | Challenge Clubs (10 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
@Chromium Dragon

Again, I said with the possible exception of Game Room. That game is a unique case, though. I might download it if there were enough games I wanted on it to make it worthwhile, but there are maybe half a dozen I would pay for right now.
What about Hasbro's Family Game Night? They did the exact same thing.

Quote:
I've seen speculation on the fact that easy achievements leads to better sales than hard achievements, but never any solid proof. It would help your arguement if you could cite your source. Yes, Lost Planet 2 didn't do well, but that could be because it was not a great game, was sadistically difficult and is in a category already occupied by two or three sales giants. Given those factors, would you still think it was the hard achievements that muted sales?
http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=14388

While some (including myself) disagree with his numbers, a lot of people agree with his overall statement that easier achievements do lead to an increase in sales.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/201...side-japan.htm

Similarly, Sony passed on publishing Demon's Souls because they were concerned that the difficulty of the game would lead to poor sales. And initially, it did sell only 15,000 copies. While they don't state it directly, they do hint that the 250k the game eventually hit is still lower than expectations, and that the sales were attributed to other factors. Taking a look at the two articles (along with comments on various boards related to the game), sales of Demon's Souls could have been significantly higher if the difficulty were lower.

Quote:
What about GTA IV? It had some legendarily hard achievements and it is one of the best selling games on the 360. You can read the facts in a number of ways, you seem to have read them to mean that achievements are used to wring money out of the consumer. I think we are irrevokably on the opposite side of this argument, so I'll leave you with one point:
The impact of achievements is going to have no notable effect on top titles. Games like GTA are going to sell millions of copies no matter what. Same would go for games like Call of Duty, Halo, Mass Effect, etc.

Even if there are 100,000 people who pass on the games because of the achievement difficulty, they would barely register as a blip on the radar. 100k doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot when you're talking about 15 million units sold. 10k means a hell of a lot more to a new/independent/whatever title that may only sell 25k.

(That being said, GTA wasn't all that difficult. There's only two difficult achievements in the game -- AWP and Fly the Coop. Wanted wasn't difficult -- it just took forever.)

I don't think you quite understand my position when it comes to achievements. I don't believe publishers of top titles like GTA care at all about achievements because their games are going to sell one way or the other. Developers of low to mid-range games are much more likely to care, as a difference of a few thousand sales could mean the world to them (especially with smaller developers where they're working on one title at a time, and one failure could put them out of business). I could easily see them toning down achievements to increase sales. I could also easily see developers of games where you have to buy more and more (like Game Room) using achievements to hook you.

Quote:
Krome Studios made Game Room. Krome Studios is now bankrupt (source). The game that more than any other used achievements as a way to get money out of completionists did not save Krome.
From a financial standpoint, Game Room was doomed to fail. First, they were trying to get people to pay $3 a whack for games that are 25-30+ years old and have been available on the internet (via both legal and illegal means) for free for years. Second, a lot of the sellable classics from back then (Pac Man, Galaga, Dig Dug, Donkey Kong, etc.) are either licenced to other companies or are already available through other means, which limits the number of sellable titles available. They also don't have a lot of older developers on board -- They've got Activision and Konami, but no Data East or Taito games. Plus for every sellable game like Pitfall, they've got 5 games like 3D Tic Tac Toe that are complete unplayable drivel.

Krome was a small, independent developer working from one project to the next and relying on Game Room in order to survive. It didn't, and they didn't. Now if Game Room were developed by EA, Microsoft, or some other top developer, it would have a much better chance of success -- The developers wouldn't be relying on GR for their income, and they could probably pass off the entire project to a couple of 20 year old rookies who need some experience before being trusted with real projects. Game Room would still lose money, but a big company like EA could absorb and write off that loss in countless ways where Krome couldn't.
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Lizard UK
 
Lizard UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London, England
Posts: 60

Lizard uk's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
I've seen speculation on the fact that easy achievements leads to better sales than hard achievements, but never any solid proof. It would help your arguement if you could cite your source. Yes, Lost Planet 2 didn't do well, but that could be because it was not a great game, was sadistically difficult and is in a category already occupied by two or three sales giants. Given those factors, would you still think it was the hard achievements that muted sales? What about GTA IV? It had some legendarily hard achievements and it is one of the best selling games on the 360. You can read the facts in a number of ways, you seem to have read them to mean that achievements are used to wring money out of the consumer.
I wouldn't even need proof to realise that easy achievements generally leads to better sales. Many many people, like achievements hunters, will come to this web site or use another source to check for games with easy achievements before buying. I know this doesn't prove anything but…look at how many views the 'Quick 1000s' thread has. Achievements are such a huge selling point now, especially games with easy achievements.
Soo many times people have asked me "is that game good? but has it got easy achievements?". Three friends of mine who are achievements hunters, asked if Terminator Salvation had easy achievements. They then went and bought the game purely because it had easy achievements. It's crazy but some people won't even bother with games with very difficult achievements because it could spoil their completion rate. Some companies might have a hunch that their game might not sell very well against the big blockbuster titles. So…I bet some companies deliberately included easy achievements so they can sell more copies of their game.

Chromium Dragon has already mentioned this…GTA is one of the most popular game series, whether it had easy or difficult achievements the game would have still sold very well. The same goes with all other big major titles.
I really don't think some of these average and/or below average rated games with easy achievements would have sold as well if their achievements were very difficult.
I'm finding it hard to believe that you don't think it's possible that companies have deliberately included easy achievements for more sales. You'd almost be a fool to think otherwise.
__________________
Lizard UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #16
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard UK View Post
Soo many times people have asked me "is that game good? but has it got easy achievements?". Three friends of mine who are achievements hunters, asked if Terminator Salvation had easy achievements. They then went and bought the game purely because it had easy achievements.
Just to elaborate on this. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but a friend of mine was once the manager of a video rental store. A large majority of the rentals of games like Terminator Salvation, Hanna Montana, etc. were from achievement hunters looking for quick and easy points. Had it not been for the easy achievements, these games would barely ever have been rented at all.

Quote:
It's crazy but some people won't even bother with games with very difficult achievements because it could spoil their completion rate. Some companies might have a hunch that their game might not sell very well against the big blockbuster titles. SoI bet some companies deliberately included easy achievements so they can sell more copies of their game.
I'll admit to being partially guilty of this. There are some titles that I'm going to buy no matter what, even if it ultimately would ruin my completion percentage: GTA, Fallout, Final Fantasy, etc. But if I'm on the fence about a title, the achievements might be the deciding factor; If I only have time/money for one game, and I'm deciding between game X and game Y, I'm going to choose the one that's got easier achievements.
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #17
Capn Doug
Community Completionist
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,817

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Green Thumb - Bronze
Total Awards: 46 (more» ...)
Those two articles that you mentioned are interesting, but Sony and the difficulty argument doesn't really have any bearing, since it actually refutes your point. People bought the games in droves regardless of difficulty and a name. And Sony did distribute in Japan, where video games are a form of sado-masochism.

As for your other points, you attempted to show numbers (which you refuted yourself, though that is probably because your world view says that it must be higher, much like a pot smoker thinks 90% of people secretly somke pot) that say 40,000 additional sales from easy achievements and then claim it is 100,000. 40k is interesting in that it is that 1/10th of 1% that I was talking about. You also mentioned that an extra 10,000 sales would make a huge difference to an independant release that would only sell 25,000 copies. 25,000 copies would drive most companies into bankrupcy, they need to aim for 500,000 (probably) in order to have the game be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
Just to elaborate on this. I know it's anecdotal evidence, but a friend of mine was once the manager of a video rental store. A large majority of the rentals of games like Terminator Salvation, Hanna Montana, etc. were from achievement hunters looking for quick and easy points. Had it not been for the easy achievements, these games would barely ever have been rented at all.

I'll admit to being partially guilty of this. There are some titles that I'm going to buy no matter what, even if it ultimately would ruin my completion percentage: GTA, Fallout, Final Fantasy, etc. But if I'm on the fence about a title, the achievements might be the deciding factor; If I only have time/money for one game, and I'm deciding between game X and game Y, I'm going to choose the one that's got easier achievements.
Might not have realized this, but renting out 1 copy of a game 200 times still is only one sale for the developer. It makes them no additional money. This is why EA recently came out and said that they were going to try and have a multiplayer component in every game. Short single player games (most of which would be found on the Quick 1000's list) are more frequently rented than bought, or quickly traded in (another sector that makes the company no additional money). And I have the same annecdotal evidence, having to explain to the game rental service I use why Terminator Salvation is so frequently rented despite getting 1 star ratings.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (49) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (7) | Challenge Clubs (10 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #18
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
Those two articles that you mentioned are interesting, but Sony and the difficulty argument doesn't really have any bearing, since it actually refutes your point. People bought the games in droves regardless of difficulty and a name. And Sony did distribute in Japan, where video games are a form of sado-masochism.
The point was that it sold 250k copies due to word of mouth despite the difficulty. Had the game been easier, could it have sold 260k? 275? We don't know, but the article does hint that it was a possibility.

Quote:
As for your other points, you attempted to show numbers (which you refuted yourself, though that is probably because your world view says that it must be higher, much like a pot smoker thinks 90% of people secretly somke pot) that say 40,000 additional sales from easy achievements and then claim it is 100,000.
Actually, I used that number specifically in regards to high-selling titles like GTA. I apologize if I was unclear on that. What I meant to say was that even if the number was as high as 100k (and I'm not claiming it would be, though the article claims the number could be as much as 1 million, which I highly doubt), 100k would still barely be a blip on the radar for a game selling 15-20 million copies.

Quote:
40k is interesting in that it is that 1/10th of 1% that I was talking about. You also mentioned that an extra 10,000 sales would make a huge difference to an independant release that would only sell 25,000 copies. 25,000 copies would drive most companies into bankrupcy, they need to aim for 500,000 (probably) in order to have the game be successful.
Before the sales surge to 250k (which is still half of your 500k estimate), Demon's Souls only sold 15,000 copies. Even at 250k units sold, a 10,000 unit increase in sales would have been much more important to the company producing Demon's Souls than a 100k increase would be to Rockstar Games.

Quote:
Might not have realized this, but renting out 1 copy of a game 200 times still is only one sale for the developer. It makes them no additional money. This is why EA recently came out and said that they were going to try and have a multiplayer component in every game. Short single player games (most of which would be found on the Quick 1000's list) are more frequently rented than bought, or quickly traded in (another sector that makes the company no additional money). And I have the same annecdotal evidence, having to explain to the game rental service I use why Terminator Salvation is so frequently rented despite getting 1 star ratings.
The point I was trying to make though is that easy achievements fuel the rental of otherwise bad or forgettable games. People that don't have rental services available to them have been known to simply buy the game just for the easy achievements, then either return it to Gamestop or just resell it.

Whether it's the game developers/publishers themselves, Gamestop, Gamefly, Blockbuster, or whoever.....someone is making some money off of games with easy achievements that would otherwise just sit there and collect dust.
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #19
maur1c1o
 
maur1c1o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 173

s1mple maur1c1o's Gamercard
Games with easy achievements sell like hot cakes look at some of the worst games on the xbox 360 with easy achievements they are still selling for quite a bit of some of money despite being really poor like NFS most wanted still cost 20 second hand Avater still cost 15 second games like king kong nba 2k6 nhl 2k6 and so on they are played for one thing ans thats the easy 1k im guilty myself of playing some games just for the easy 1k like avater king kong lol and nba 2k6 and many more. In the future im sure they will be making games with easier achievements to boost sales i can definitly see that happening with the smaller companies and unheard off titles. Pesrsonaly achievements are positive and negative theres nothing worse than putting a game in your xbox playing it for a couple of hours unlocking a couple of achivement onl to find its a really crappy game ive made that mistake too many times and then you get great games with some serious stupid achievement that are almost impossible like GRAW and Devil may cry 4 and i cant stand online achievement theres too many annoying online gamers like the other day i was play red dead in a friendly room for a reason cause i didnt want people shooting at me as i was working on hideouts in a friendly room you cant shoot others and this one Prick kept killing my horse it drove me insane so im not a huge fan of online games the idea was great at first you can compete with people all over the world to be the best but instead you compete against people who cheat and do anything to win and piss you off and send bad message to you when they cant take defeat also DLC know that is really taking the piss nowadays nearly every game has dlc its the way forward to making bug bucks from games fair play to them for it because they lose loads of money on prewoned games but they are really pushing it.
__________________
maur1c1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #20
Capn Doug
Community Completionist
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,817

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Green Thumb - Bronze
Total Awards: 46 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maur1c1o View Post
Games with easy achievements sell like hot cakes...
Avatar sold 130,000 copies on 360. It sold 210,000 on Playstation 2.

As for your point about stupidly hard achievements on DMC4 and GRAW, both of those went platinum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
The point was that it sold 250k copies due to word of mouth despite the difficulty. Had the game been easier, could it have sold 260k? 275? We don't know, but the article does hint that it was a possibility.
Or it could be that the difficulty was a factor in increasing sales. It's pure speculation either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
Before the sales surge to 250k (which is still half of your 500k estimate), Demon's Souls only sold 15,000 copies. Even at 250k units sold, a 10,000 unit increase in sales would have been much more important to the company producing Demon's Souls than a 100k increase would be to Rockstar Games.
Am I missing something about Demon's Soul? Is it a difficult game with easy trophies or something? I would doubt that there are any games like that, but again, the difficulty could have been a selling point. If it were easier, would it have sold more? Maybe, maybe not, it is idle speculation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
The point I was trying to make though is that easy achievements fuel the rental of otherwise bad or forgettable games. People that don't have rental services available to them have been known to simply buy the game just for the easy achievements, then either return it to Gamestop or just resell it.

Whether it's the game developers/publishers themselves, Gamestop, Gamefly, Blockbuster, or whoever.....someone is making some money off of games with easy achievements that would otherwise just sit there and collect dust.
But are they buying it new for $50+ or are they buying it used for less than $20? Because that is a huge factor. If they are buying it used instead of renting, then the developer makes no additional money. If they are buying it full priced and new (and really, how many people do you know who have spent make than $25 on a game just for the gamerscore), then that is a different story, but I don't think that is the case. Refer to the sales figures for Avatar above. It is not in the developers best interest to make a game that is only going to make Gamestop money. They need to make games that you want to buy and keep, not rent, get 1000 and return to the video store. Therefore, it is not in their best interest to market a game to scorewhores, as they tend to rent and resell more than your average gamer.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (49) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (7) | Challenge Clubs (10 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 AM   #21
ferrara316
 
ferrara316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staten Island, New York, NY
Posts: 1,624

ferrara316's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
how many more times will this stupid idea of a topic come up? Please use search function! end of topic... but yes I agree with Cap'n Doug with all his points. To think that video game developers will market a game only by having achievements, you are an idiot.
ferrara316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #22
ChromiumDragon
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 444

ChromiumDragon's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrara316 View Post
To think that video game developers will market a game only by having achievements, you are an idiot.
At no point has anybody said a developer will market a game only by having achievements.

What we're saying is that a developer may tone down the difficulty of achievements to increase sales of a game, which is totally different. And it's also been shown to work.

We also said that developers of "free" games like Game Room and Family Game Night will add unavoidable achievements to their games in order to squeese a few extra bucks out of the obsessive completionists -- a point which Doug has largely agreed with since just about every achievement in those games requires you to buy more and more stuff.
__________________
ChromiumDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #23
Capn Doug
Community Completionist
 
Capn Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,817

Capn Doug XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Arcade Crazy - Platinum   Brick Builders & Busters Franchise Club - Tier 1   Best of XBLA Challenge Club - Tier 2   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Shiftie   Staff Club - Nozza x360a   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 3   I Can Read! NTSC-J Challenge Club - Tier 3   Community Gaming - Gold   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 2   Scratch the SURFACE Challenge Club - Tier 2   Green Thumb - Bronze
Total Awards: 46 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromiumDragon View Post
At no point has anybody said a developer will market a game only by having achievements.

What we're saying is that a developer may tone down the difficulty of achievements to increase sales of a game, which is totally different. And it's also been shown to work.

We also said that developers of "free" games like Game Room and Family Game Night will add unavoidable achievements to their games in order to squeese a few extra bucks out of the obsessive completionists -- a point which Doug has largely agreed with since just about every achievement in those games requires you to buy more and more stuff.
Not so sure about Family Game Night, since it is basically all on the disc at half the price (or was until the 3 new DLC games got added), but yeah, Game Room definitely did that. Game room has never been a game that I have really been able to classify in any meaningful way until just recently. Really, it is a trial game with 85g and DLC worth 915g (kind of like if they added paid DLC to Harms Way). The point remains, though, if that is a marketing strategy, it has largely backfired. Avatar on 360 was the lowest seller of all the platforms it was available on (most people rented it or bought it used) and Game Room didn't save Krome from bankrupcy. In fact, when The Last Airbender movie came out, the developer said they would never do another Airbender game on 360 as a result of the massive preowned/rental market that got hold of the game. While I was chatting with my rental service, I asked about the game. He said that no one has kept it for more than a day when they can measure that. Rental services would have a higher representation of score whores than the general population, but still, not one person kept it for more than a day.
__________________
Arcade Crazy (49) | Over Achiever (44) | Staff Clubs (7) | Challenge Clubs (10 level 1, 6 level 2, 2 level 3)
Capn Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #24
djpatterson2010
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 4

djpatterson2010's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Doug View Post
@Chromium Dragon

It is impossible to ascribe motivation to the situation you described. We don't know what the developers think unless they actually come out and tell us...
Has that ever happened before with regards to this issue? I have been researching this topic for a while tonight because I, like many others, would like to delete a game with achievements. I've seen hundreds of posts, most of which are people's unsupported opinions, some with actual logic and reasoning (such as this thread) but none with any concrete links to what Microsoft has said about the issue. I find it hard to believe they have gone so many years without an official justification given the amount of interest in the topic. Anyone have a link?
djpatterson2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 AM.