PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooters > Half Life 2: The Orange Box
Subscribe    Donate

Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
ApocalypticJoker

Lamb3ntSpartan's Gamercard
Portal Least Steps?

I'm kinda stuck on Test Chamber 13 and I"m losing my mind.
I gotta do it in 10 Steps or less but I can't do it! I've seen tons of videos where people can get out of the elevator in 2 steps or less but I usually cna't get out in less than 3 or 4! To top it off when I go through a Portal and land on the other side it counts as a step!!
Any tips on easily getting out of the elevator without wasting steps and how to use Portals without them counting as a step?

By the way, this is my last Step Challenge and even though I did the other ones 10 steps seems impossible for me despite the dozens of videos that show it can be done.
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Dead Space 3
ApocalypticJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
LostNomad47

LostNomad47's Gamercard
likewise, these challenges are harder than I expected. One of the comments on youtube videos had mentioned doing a crouch jump to help lessen the # of steps... I can't make it work.
LostNomad47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
psybOltOn

psybOltOn's Gamercard
hey, i just did it today. (13, least steps)
first and best advice is move with portals. the trick not getting a step is the following: shoot a blue portal where you want to go. shoot an orange portal under you. this makes you fall through the portals. when you fall out of blue, shoot a blue enywhere (here i mean a wall for example, the point that the blue portal placed somewhere else before you fall back) this way it won't count as a step. if you fall out from the blue portal with big speed, it will count, dough.
if you have to crouch, do it with a button, not with the stick. the slightest move of the stick is counted as a step.
when you want to leave the elevator, move the stick suddenly forward and make a jump. this way it took only three steps to get out for me.

and this is how i did it:
I USED CHEATS.
with 3 steps i got out of the elevator. with portals get next to the red button. cheat a cube on it. (if you're good you can shoot a portal next to you and behind the cube and just reach through to get it) this opens the door.
shoot a portal over the closer red button and one under you. this is the 4th. step.
cheat a cube on the other button. you may want to put that energy ball on its place to avoid quick death. (if you against cheats you should bring the cube with you, make a portal over the 3rd red button and an other portal next to you, than throw through the cube)
anyway, you have an open door, shoot a portal through it (close to the door, on the floor) and another under you. jump into the portal (6th. step)
now you facing the elevator. get closer using the portals. you should have 6 step in front of the blue energy field. jump in the elevator the same way you jumped out.
10 step, there you go.
psybOltOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:07 AM   #4
Vanilla Coke Zero
Banned User

canzz's Gamercard
i agree with Psybo. i'm usually against cheats, but you WILL BE IN EXTREME FURY AND RAGE if you don't use them. the only people who do those crazy times on youtube are portal enthusiasts who love the game and play A LOT. personally, i'm not the biggest portal fan and i just wanted to get those achievements out of the way. i'm currently at 12/18 gold medals and i have to say, even with cheats it's STILL pretty challenging.
Vanilla Coke Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
Namaste

I will have to give those tips a go sometime soon.
Namaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
the only person cheating really hurts is yourself.

I made sure too get silver medals on all 18 before cheating, but since I was aware that I would never get all gold no matter how long i tried I caved.

so the question is can you live with yourself if you cheat? Huh can you punk?
d0ct0rscarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #7
psybOltOn

psybOltOn's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ct0rscarecr0w View Post
the only person cheating really hurts is yourself.

I made sure too get silver medals on all 18 before cheating, but since I was aware that I would never get all gold no matter how long i tried I caved.

so the question is can you live with yourself if you cheat? Huh can you punk?
I would never cheat against anybody. I use cheat when the game cheats. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have problem with the challenges using a mouse. Also, even with cheats you have to work your guts out to get the challenges. Doing it legit while you sweating blood just to realise before the last one that you lost all your process is a no go either.
Anyway, this is a topic which never will be decided how is good, so everybody lets just do whatever they think is ok. The main thing that you shouldn't cheat against others.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #8
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
the achievement is cruel too begin with. if you are going to do it legitimately you have to practice each level over and over again spending countless hours. The best part is in the end you get 40 gamerscore. I've seen far easier achievements worth 150.
d0ct0rscarecr0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Shawty71

Shawty71's Gamercard
I just started trying the challenges yesterday and one of the gold challenges I still have to do is least time in Ch 13 (19 sec? really?). Least step was difficult, but doable, I think I got it in 7 steps. I didn't do the jump out of the elevator trick (I don't think it works on the 360) but like psybolton said you just gotta move using the portals.

I think what I did was shot one portal in front of the elevator, and then one near the red button. When I moved into that portal I was flowing back and forth and then I put the same colored portal as the one next to the red button up near the cube which stopped me from moving. Placed another portal near me and then grabbed the cube and put it on top of the red button (you might want to save it at this point in case you mess up on your way to the elevator). Place a portal on the ceiling outside then one below you so you fall through it. Then I used the cube cheat to spawn two cubes then I used portals underneath the cubes and above the red buttons so they would fall and activate the buttons. Once the door to the elevator was opened, I placed a portal as close to the elevator as possible, then portal underneath me. SAVE, then move into the elevator using the least amount of steps possible. If you exceed the limit then reload your save and readjust using portals. There were several times that I would have to readjust my location so that I could make it to the elevator in the least number of steps.

I found that looking on youtube for help with these challenges was pretty much pointless because the people doing the challenges legit are from a different planet (a planet of AWESOME). I've been able to gold most of these just by playing the level enough that I can form a plan on how to go about doing it.

For those of you that its against your religion to use cheats, FYI it's difficult to get some of these challenges USING cheats. Does it give you an advantage? Not all the time! Sometimes it's more taxing to use cheats on some of these challenges (especially least time).

100% Retail Games:
Left 4 Dead (1500/1500)
Left 4 Dead 2 (1500/1500)
Halo: Reach (1400/1400)
Bioshock (1100/1100)
COD4
Modern Warfare 2
Dead Space
Dead Space 2 (1250/1250)
Portal 2
Shawty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
psybOltOn

psybOltOn's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawty71 View Post
I found that looking on youtube for help with these challenges was pretty much pointless because the people doing the challenges legit are from a different planet (a planet of AWESOME). I've been able to gold most of these just by playing the level enough that I can form a plan on how to go about doing it.
On that planet they also invented mice and keyboards.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Dead Space Girl

Dead Space Girl's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by psybOltOn View Post
On that planet they also invented mice and keyboards.
And that's the nail on the head right there. This game was designed for the perfection control scheme that is keyboard/mouse, not fumbling analog sticks. When Valve ported this, they never once adjusted the controls for 360 controllers.

So I don't feel bad at all about using cheat codes, or (snicker) cheating myself or whatever that was all about.
has any girls tried messaging any of the champs, getting the belts off them and trading it around? the champs mite listen to a girl asking for the achievement.
Dead Space Girl is offline   Reply With Quote