Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-22-2011, 07:01 AM   #1
Teimoshi

Teimoshi's Gamercard
360 4g vs. 360 250g

For Christmas I got the new XBox to replace my old one. The one I got was the 4g one. In the months before I received it, I couldn't wrap my head around why Microsoft would choose to release a 4g XBox to the public right after releasing the 250g. 4g is not enough if you have even at least 10 games.

I have the GotY editions for both Fallout 3 and Oblivion. I then realized the reason why they pulled out the 4g. In order to have DLCs on the 4g, you need an external hard drive. Those assholes sent out the 4g only so you can spend even more money.
Teimoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:29 AM   #2
No Strong Foes
Banned User

Send a message via MSN to No Strong Foes Send a message via Skype™ to No Strong Foes

oPumpkinEscobar's Gamercard
You expected a non-money making scheme from Microsoft?
No Strong Foes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #3
Tyrion619
Banned User

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
If you still have the hard drive from your old 360, you can install it into the 360s.

I've done it with mine. I put my old 120GB into my 360s. Works like a charm.

It'll take a tiny bit of work since you'll have to carefully crack it out of its case.

There are video tutorials for this on YouTube.

You can also do a google search for the proper case to put your HDD in when inserting it into the 360s. That is, if you don't feel comfortable having the HDD "floating" in the bay.

Check out the videos...you'll see what I mean.
Tyrion619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #4
banshee555

banshee555's Gamercard
Sorry but apart from the price difference of around 50 more for the 250G why the hell would you buy a 4G console?.
banshee555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Tyrion619
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by banshee555 View Post
Sorry but apart from the price difference of around 50 more for the 250G why the hell would you buy a 4G console?.
To some people, that $100 difference means a lot.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Teimoshi

Teimoshi's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der8180 View Post
If you still have the hard drive from your old 360, you can install it into the 360s.

I've done it with mine. I put my old 120GB into my 360s. Works like a charm.

It'll take a tiny bit of work since you'll have to carefully crack it out of its case.

There are video tutorials for this on YouTube.

You can also do a google search for the proper case to put your HDD in when inserting it into the 360s. That is, if you don't feel comfortable having the HDD "floating" in the bay.

Check out the videos...you'll see what I mean.
My old HDD is a 13g.

Quote:
That's what I thought too. For the record though, I got two. One from my father, who is a bit clueless about these things, and one from my grandparents, both 4g. I'd much prefer the 250G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8der8180 View Post
To some people, that $100 difference means a lot.
With permission to gripe, "that $100 difference" is what pisses me off. Everyone complains that if I buy something I want or need, it leaves them with very little to give me, yet if I ask for something, they seem incapable of following through, thus the reason why I prefer to buy it myself. It just so happens that my father is indeed one of those people and my grandparents are just assholes who are quite well off.

Selfish? Perhaps I am. But I'm also stubborn.

lol Sorry for ranting like that though.
Teimoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Tyrion619
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teimoshi View Post
My old HDD is a 13g.
Well, that's better than the 4GB.

You could always go to Gamestop/eBay/Amazon/wherever and get a used 120GB.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
EmporerDragon

EmporerDragon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Simply put, there is a rather large and profitable group of people who think "cheapest is bestest". They cannot fathom the long-term and will always buy the sub-standard cheaper product over higher-quality but more expensive merchandise. Profit comes easy from these people as the stuff they buy doesn't last.

For example, say they want a portable DVD player. Product A is $75 but lasts around 4 months (a little after the warranty and store return policy expires) while product B is $150 but lasts 4 years. B doesn't stand a chance against these people. Every 4 months, they will come in and buy another A because it is the cheapest and thus the best "deal". So by the normal time product B runs out, these people will have spent $1,200 on product A, nearly 10 times what they would have paid for if they had bought a B instead.

While a 4GB and a 250GB 360 will last the same length of time, the 4G is much more profitable for Microsoft because of the accessories. Those "cheapest is bestest" people will (hopefully) realize that they need memory and will buy either a hard drive (and wind up paying more than if they started with the 250) or even better for Microsoft, several official 360 memory cards for their storage needs.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Melody x360a

Melody x360a's Gamercard
Or... How bout this guys... You buy a 4GB Xbox S. You already have a flash drive and a computer, you can just use your laptop to save your games and such. Or, like my girlfriend, just wants to save games, and only plays a few select games, so she doesn't need 250 GB, just 4.
Melody x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
lifeexpectancy

LifeExpectancy's Gamercard

Yeah the 4gb version, although probably a money making scheme too, is primarily targeted at the vanilla, or casual if you prefer, audience. These are moms and dads with YOUNG kids that like games but don't need expanded hard drives for installing games or downloading dlc.

Solution to your problem is much easier than installing a bigger harddrive or buying one. For $15 you can get at least an 8gb flash drive. For around $30 you can get a 32gb flash drive. I've been on my 360 since launch and I've never needed more than 20-25gb of drive space because I only keep my most recent 3 or 4 games installed and I delete dlc once I finish it. You can always re download dlc or arcade games later from your download history if you want to play them again. Of course with any usb flash drive that isn't Microsoft product, you will get a message saying the drive "doesn't meet 360 performance recommendations" when formatting it as a memory stick. Ignore this. M$ doesn't want you getting reasonably priced memory online. Their 360 usb drives are no better. My 32gb flash drive works just fine and it's a cheap Scandisk one.

A $200 4gb 360s with a $30 32gb usb flash drive is not only the cheaper option over paying for the 250gb version, its all 90% of the 360 user base is ever going to need. The only people that need a 250gb one are those that want to store tons of music and arcade titles, with a large library of games they play regularly, and possibly even with an affinity for purchasing digital copies or movies and tv shows through the marketplace.
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). Copy this signature with your play times so we can populate our friends lists with fellow Halo:MCC players BEFORE launch!! If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.

Last edited by lifeexpectancy; 01-22-2011 at 11:49 AM.
lifeexpectancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Garfiun

garfiun's Gamercard

I had the option of a 4gb or 250gb and decided on the 250gb as it was 20 dearer than the 4gb and well worth it.
Garfiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:25 PM   #12
Braiiins

Braiiins's Gamercard
I got the 4gb on clearance for $140 at Target, bought the 250gb hard drive on ebay for $50. 4gb usually costs $200, I spent $190 for a 250gb, I don't think I did too bad...
Windows Phone: 68
Braiiins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Spanish Assault

Send a message via Skype™ to Spanish Assault

Spanish Assault's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Community Gaming - Gold   Micro Guide - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   10,000 posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Strong Foes View Post
You expected a non-money making scheme from Microsoft?
THIS

M$ is not a charity...they are a VERY lucrative business.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #14
Worhammer

Worhammer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexpectancy View Post
Yeah the 4gb version, although probably a money making scheme too, is primarily targeted at the vanilla, or casual if you prefer, audience. These are moms and dads with YOUNG kids that like games but don't need expanded hard drives for installing games or downloading dlc.

Solution to your problem is much easier than installing a bigger harddrive or buying one. For $15 you can get at least an 8gb flash drive. For around $30 you can get a 32gb flash drive. I've been on my 360 since launch and I've never needed more than 20-25gb of drive space because I only keep my most recent 3 or 4 games installed and I delete dlc once I finish it. You can always re download dlc or arcade games later from your download history if you want to play them again. Of course with any usb flash drive that isn't Microsoft product, you will get a message saying the drive "doesn't meet 360 performance recommendations" when formatting it as a memory stick. Ignore this. M$ doesn't want you getting reasonably priced memory online. Their 360 usb drives are no better. My 32gb flash drive works just fine and it's a cheap Scandisk one.

A $200 4gb 360s with a $30 32gb usb flash drive is not only the cheaper option over paying for the 250gb version, its all 90% of the 360 user base is ever going to need. The only people that need a 250gb one are those that want to store tons of music and arcade titles, with a large library of games they play regularly, and possibly even with an affinity for purchasing digital copies or movies and tv shows through the marketplace.
QFT. I laugh at people like this.

My friend is one of them. Or he was, until he bought a 4G slim (after I urged him constantly not to, for over a week...)

Now he says "I should have listened to you. I can't get DLC, I can't play firefight in reach, I can't do this, I can't do that, I need a hard drive...I had to buy a mic, now I have to buy a HDD, I've already spent more on stuff that I would've just gotten if I had bought the 250G like you told me..."

Hahaha.

"The average white man thinks about sex every six seconds, but he only thinks about sex with a black man once a year."
Worhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:03 AM   #15
Corrupt.
Damn you, Walt Whitman!

Corrupt XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Off to the Races Challenge Club - Tier 1   Achievement Guide - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Gold   Toilet Bowl Challenge Club - Tier 2   Staff - Guide Team   Green Thumb - Gold   Staff Club - TemporalWizard   Staff Club - Tyger7
Total Awards: 44 (more» ...)
It always seemed strange that there was a difference of 246gb. Thats quite a lot considering the HDDs are 20/120/250
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
hydrosugar

xFightingSaintx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
i've got a 120gb. so i'm in the middle. i got mine dec 09 so i think it was the newest at the time i'm not sure. i dont see myself needing 250g. plus i think the 120gb black elite rarely ever gets rrod

Last edited by hydrosugar; 01-23-2011 at 04:22 AM. Reason: little bit of spelling
hydrosugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:22 AM   #17
Chaosx721

ChaosX217's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrupt x360a View Post
It always seemed strange that there was a difference of 246gb. Thats quite a lot considering the HDDs are 20/120/250
Because flash memory always doubles, HDD don't really.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:27 AM   #18
Deviantelf

Deviantelf's Gamercard

Quote:
Of course with any usb flash drive that isn't Microsoft product, you will get a message saying the drive "doesn't meet 360 performance recommendations" when formatting it as a memory stick.
Not true. I've got a Sandisk 16gb and it didn't give me any error, nor did it give me an error on the (OLD - at least 5 years) 1gb one I was using before it.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #19
lifeexpectancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worhammer View Post
QFT. I laugh at people like this.

My friend is one of them. Or he was, until he bought a 4G slim (after I urged him constantly not to, for over a week...)

Now he says "I should have listened to you. I can't get DLC, I can't play firefight in reach, I can't do this, I can't do that, I need a hard drive...I had to buy a mic, now I have to buy a HDD, I've already spent more on stuff that I would've just gotten if I had bought the 250G like you told me..."

Hahaha.
Well that's your friend, and you. Like I said I myself have used less than 25gb of hard drive space at any one time in the entire 5 years I've had my 360. As far as I know you can install games to a flash drive. I may be wrong but I know it gave me the option to when I installed Create while my flash drive was plugged in.

I just don't see the point in keeping old crap on your drive you don't use anymore. I routinely clean up my drive of any content I'm not currently playing. The only things I keep are the save files of games I think may have dlc in the future. And I know for a fact that you can store dlc on flash drives as I've currently got dlc for Reach on mine.

The 4gb 360s makes plenty of sense for parents of younger gaming kiddos. A 32gb thumb drive is simply the cheapest fix for the poster who got stuck with a 4gb one that doesn't suit his needs, or for an older gamer with buyer's remorse who regrets buying a 4gb in and needs memory but doesn't want to pay $50-100 for a hard drive. Because honestly, you really don't need more than 30gb of drive space if all you do is game. I've survived 5 years and 174 games with about 25gb in use at any given time on my 120gb elite 360's hard drive. Only media intensive users really need all that space.

I've always had space to spare yet I still clean up my drive routinely. Now, between my two 360 consoles(120gb elite and 250gb reach ones), I have 370gb of storage space. I'm still only using like 20gb of it... I game a crap load, as evidenced by my game history, yet I get by on the equivalent of just barely more than the original premium 360's space. Go figure.
HALO:MCC >>>>>>> Interested in Online Customs, Squadmates for Ranked, and Co-Op Campaign. I am on 6am-4pm GMT on my nights off (Midnight-10am US Central). Copy this signature with your play times so we can populate our friends lists with fellow Halo:MCC players BEFORE launch!! If you add me do it on XB1 please; my 360 friends list is nearly full.

Last edited by lifeexpectancy; 01-23-2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #20
Chaosx721

ChaosX217's Gamercard

Quote:
The 4gb 360s makes plenty of sense for parents of younger gaming kiddos. A 32gb thumb drive is simply the cheapest fix for the poster who got stuck with a 4gb one that doesn't suit his needs, or for an older gamer with buyer's remorse who regrets buying a 4gb in and needs memory but doesn't want to pay $50-100 for a hard drive. Because honestly, you really don't need more than 30gb of drive space if all you do is game. I've survived 5 years and 174 games with about 25gb in use at any given time on my 120gb elite 360's hard drive. Only media intensive users really need all that space.

I've always had space to spare yet I still clean up my drive routinely. Now, between my two 360 consoles(120gb elite and 250gb reach ones), I have 370gb of storage space. I'm still only using like 20gb of it... I game a crap load, as evidenced by my game history, yet I get by on the equivalent of just barely more than the original premium 360's space. Go figure.
But that's you, some people like to have a lot of hard drive space. Shit I'd buy a 1TB drive if they had one just so I wouldn't have to worry about losing space ever. Also for me I have about 4-5 games installed to my HDD most of the times till I 100% one, and would love to never have to delete any DLC or arcade games.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #21
lifeexpectancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosx721 View Post
But that's you, some people like to have a lot of hard drive space. Shit I'd buy a 1TB drive if they had one just so I wouldn't have to worry about losing space ever. Also for me I have about 4-5 games installed to my HDD most of the times till I 100% one, and would love to never have to delete any DLC or arcade games.
You're right it's me. I tend to 100% a game before I even consider moving onto the next. The only point I'm trying to make is that the 4gb version is a viable platform as not everyone, or even most people, need so much drive space. I doubt I would ever use a terabyte in my entire lifetime even if they never introduced another console and I played on the 360 for 50 years! You're a mad man.

Last edited by lifeexpectancy; 01-23-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #22
Chaosx721

ChaosX217's Gamercard

Quote:
You're right it's me. I tend to 100% a game before I even consider moving onto the next. The only point I'm trying to make is that the 4gb version is a viable platform as not everyone, or even most people, need so much drive space. I doubt I would ever use a terabyte in my entire lifetime even if they never introduced another console and I played on the 360 for 50 years! You're a mad man.
I agree with you thought, 4gb is more then enough for some people, but there's still people, kind of like me, just want to have as space possible so they never have to worry about deleting stuff to make room. But maybe that's just me, I like having games that I play once in a while installed, like Super Street Fighter 4, or Black Ops.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
lifeexpectancy

Cool man, to each his own lol. Neither console is best for everyone but that's why we should always evaluate our needs before making expensive purchases. Like cars for instance, no way my 2 seater would work for a family, but for my wife and I, who never plan to have kids, it's fantastic.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #24
Lemonlimes249

Multiple Tacos's Gamercard
if you dont buy any arcade games, then 4gb is about enough.

Lemonlimes249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:01 AM   #25
SinkSickness

battlesage360's Gamercard
does anybody care about the wi-fi. I do, cause I cant connect to xbl without an 100 ft ethernet cable running throughout my house.
SinkSickness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:35 AM   #26
Worhammer

Worhammer's Gamercard

Quote:
Well that's your friend, and you. Like I said I myself have used less than 25gb of hard drive space at any one time in the entire 5 years I've had my 360. As far as I know you can install games to a flash drive. I may be wrong but I know it gave me the option to when I installed Create while my flash drive was plugged in.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think that a full 250GB of space is necessary. I had an original 360, and only started running out of space mid 2010. If I had deleted DLC for games I no longer played, I probably could've kept going with it.

However, from what I understand the thumb drives do not count as a HDD, and therefore you still will not be able to play things like Firefight or anything else that requires a HDD (which I really think is silly, but that's another story entirely....)

I mean, heck, I think I have 6 different games installed and I'm still not even using more than 100GBs....

"The average white man thinks about sex every six seconds, but he only thinks about sex with a black man once a year."
Old 01-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
lifeexpectancy

Thats pretty bastardly of them to require a HDD just to play FF. If I were one of the people with no HDD I think I would just avoid reach all together in that case. Forcing someone to have a HDD on a system that offers non HDD "budget versions" is garbage. But yeah like you say that's a whole different discussion.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:07 PM   #28
Worhammer

Worhammer's Gamercard

Quote:
Thats pretty bastardly of them to require a HDD just to play FF. If I were one of the people with no HDD I think I would just avoid reach all together in that case. Forcing someone to have a HDD on a system that offers non HDD "budget versions" is garbage. But yeah like you say that's a whole different discussion.
I know Reach isn't the only one to do something similar to this.

My cousin has an arcade version, and he hates it. I think it's become more bearable since they added the thumbdrive compatability, but prior to this I don't know how somebody could do with a no HDD 360. He was constantly deleting gamesaves and could never have any DLC. I also don't know why 4G isn't considered a HDD. I also think this is silly.

Basically, I think some of these games are more or less forcing you to have an HDD (Which is why I made the original statement of "Don't buy the one without an HDD"....)

Old 01-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #29
ferrara316

ferrara316's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Because the 4G xbox 360 is for little kids... simply due to the fact that most kiddie games do not require much memory to save. The 250 GB hard drive is phenomenal and you are an idiot if you dont purchase that one over a 4 gig. If you dont have money, than you shouldn't be playing video games in the first place. Its a hobby, and luxurious one at that!
ferrara316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #30
Terriah

Terriah's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Yes, this is true.
Which is why it frustrates me no end when dealing with people who know nothing of gaming or haven't bothered to research it or are just plain stupid, come into the shop.

The basic conversation goes like this:

Them: I want a xbox.
Me: Okay what do you want to use it for?
Them: Everything/playing games.
Me: Okay, well although it's about 50 more I'd recommend spending the little extra now and getting the 250GB. It's a much larger hard drive and a little more money. You should never really need a larger hard drive than a 250GB. You'd save a lot of money in the long one.
Them: But the 4GB is cheaper.
Me: Yes, but like I said, unless you're going to be playing literally a handful of games, you'll need a bigger hard drive in the long run and it'll cost you more money.
Them: But it's cheaper now.
Me: Yes, it'll be cheaper now.
Them: I'll take the 4GB.
Me: *facepalm* Fine.

Time elapse of between 2/6 weeks.
They're back.

Them: I've run out of space on my 4GB.
Me: Yes, of course you have. It's not really sufficient for doing many things on it, is it?.
Them: I need to upgrade to a bigger hard drive. Plus, I'm not happy that I need to buy a bigger hard drive in the first place, this is your fault.
Me: A new, 250GB official hard drive will be 84.99, please. I did advise you about the 250GB when you came to purchase a console.
Them: What?! 85! That's ridiculous. That's more money to upgrade than it would cost me to buy a 250GB in the first place. I am really not happy.
Me: Yes. Which is why I advised you to get a 250GB in the first place.

Some how. It always ends up being the sales person's fault that they can't see a few weeks in the future. I do tell them that my ONE game of Oblivion takes up over 9GB on my hard drive and that's one game. Admittedly, they can play a few games with 4GB providing it's a small game/save or if they delete things regularly. But seriously.
It annoys me that Microsoft have made this, because it lures the stupid like a pied piper. It also doesn't surprise me that they've done this. It's such an arm twisting way of making money.

Like some of the posts above, the only way I'd EVER recommend a 4GB as the best solution was if they were genuinely going to be a very casual gamer or if it was for a much younger child. IE under than 10 ish. However, when children are involved, it's tricky to gauge how protective parents are. Obviously those that don't care if their kid plays an 18 will happily pay for them to play on an over rated game. Therefore they will need more space since although they're young, they're not playing those simple games designed for youngsters and will therefore need the space that some of the older games require.

With all the extras/add ons serious people ending up needing to buy anyway, it would be fairly naive to only expect to pay just for the console. I understand 50 is a lot for some people, but having a console (unless you're literally going to pop on it occasionally and play small save games) is a fairly time and asset consuming hobby/activity. If you can't shell out the 50 to save you money in the long run, you should really hold off buying one until you've saved enough money to get properly set up. If you're serious about it, wait the extra month so you've got the funds to get set up and then make sure you're getting the best possible outcome. Otherwise those things that seem like small add ons or even necessities rack up and can really bite you on the ass.

It really depends on what the use of the console is and who will be playing it, at the end of the day. However, from my experience the VAST majority of people buying a console do seem to need the larger hard drive. On the other hand, I doubt that those people will use anywhere close to 250GB, since it's one extreme or the other, the ending point is that you need more than 4GB in most cases. But if people can't be bothered to do their research or listen to the person explaining it to them, then I really have no sympathy for them if it costs them much more in the long run.

My parting comment is, I think there should be at least one or two intermediate hard drives of smaller sizes. For example: 32/64 GB and perhaps a 120GB. Those would be much more ideal than a set of 2 ridiculous extremes.

Terriah is offline   Reply With Quote