Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Main Hub > Discussion Boards > Xbox 360
Subscribe    Donate

Old 01-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Adam Miller

Send a message via MSN to Adam Miller

Adam Miller's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   x360a Book Club   Member of the Month   A+ Thread Award   Submit - Silver   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
XBOX 360 Slim To PC Monitor (Using HDMi and Audio Out)

Hello again everyone...

So iv been bought a new xbox 360 (250 gig "slim"?) for Christmas and am going to be using it through my HD PC monitor. The last of the cables needed has just arrived.

My PC monitor is separate from my speakers and the only spare input is DVI. So im going from my xbox to my monitor with a HDMi in the xbox to a DVi in my monitor. This is done and the picture works...

For audio I was then planning to go from the xbox VGA cable in the xbox into an adapter using the two meant for audio and into my speakers.

However: Dodgy Microsoft seem to not want me doing this? The VGA cable that goes in the back of my new xbox is directly above the HDMi slot, and comes with a big plastic lip covering the HDMi socket and preventing me from using it at the same time...

I know that this set up works with the old 360s as there are a million videos walking you through it on youtube. But I cannot find anyone that has done it this way with a new 360.

Anyone ever heard of this problem? Do they not want people doing it? Is there some "thinner" xbox vga cable that would allow me to this? Or should i take a screwdriver to the casing of that cable and see if it fits?

I hope I have explained the layout/set-up clearly and someone has a bright idea. I look forward to being an active member again.

Last edited by Adam Miller; 01-25-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Adam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Worhammer

Worhammer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I use the old 360 cable with my slim, because I have one of the ones with composite cables on it (My tv is from the days before HDMI, and only has composite even though it supports 1080I) - since this cable works I'd imagine you can use one of the old 360 cables with your new slim and do what you want.

I imagine that the little bar is there to keep people who don't know what they're doing from getting themselves into trouble and being confused as to why their xbox isn't going out the right way or something like that.

"The average white man thinks about sex every six seconds, but he only thinks about sex with a black man once a year."
Worhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
OptimusPrime76

KnightFall 539's Gamercard
I have a pc monitor in my spare room for those occasions the mrs doesn't want me in the living room gaming lol.

Basically my slim is connected via hdmi to hdmi on the pc monitor then my external speakers are directly connected to the pc monitor using the audio out on the monitor, simple set up and works a treat.
People think it's an obsession. A compulsion. As if there were an irresistible impulse to act. It's never been like that. I chose this life. I know what I'm doing. And on any given day, I could stop doing it. Today, however, isn't that day. And tomorrow won't be either.
OptimusPrime76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
StillTIPPIN187

The Sobriety's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
rYour going to have to crack open the bulky plastic surrounding the MS vga cable.. this will will allow the hdmi and the audio out to work. there are youtube vids on it.. ive been meaning to crack open mind to use my surround sound.. but haven't felt like it =P

but keep in mind there is also digital audio out on the slims..
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
dakisbac

Send a message via Skype™ to dakisbac

Mister Dak's Gamercard

Awards Showcase VGO Gold Medal   Achievement Guide - Silver   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Adhere to the Creed Franchise Club - Tier 1   Staff Club - Minty   Ambassador 1x1 Competition - Third Place   Staff Club - dakisbac   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Staff Club - AOS Puck
Total Awards: 22 (more» ...)
Microsoft isn't out to get you, it's just that the cable was released long before the 360s came out. What happened here is either a design oversight or they don't intend people to be using both cables at once. I would say it's the latter since I'm pretty sure that the 360 cannot output from both ports at the same time, but if you're sure you saw people doing this on the old 360's then it must be the former. I did do a search on YT though and didn't see any videos of people doing this. I'd be interested in seeing this in action if you could link me to one.
dakisbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 AM   #6
StillTIPPIN187

The Sobriety's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakisbac View Post
Microsoft isn't out to get you, it's just that the cable was released long before the 360s came out. What happened here is either a design oversight or they don't intend people to be using both cables at once. I would say it's the latter since I'm pretty sure that the 360 cannot output from both ports at the same time, but if you're sure you saw people doing this on the old 360's then it must be the former. I did do a search on YT though and didn't see any videos of people doing this. I'd be interested in seeing this in action if you could link me to one.

MS isn't out for you, but they are out for your money.

Have fun OP and anyone else who needs to do this.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
DoctorPolski

DoctorPolski's Gamercard
My first guess was also gonna be can you get audio out from your monitor followed by can you use the independant optical output from 360 itself?

DoctorPolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Adam Miller

Send a message via MSN to Adam Miller

Adam Miller's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   x360a Book Club   Member of the Month   A+ Thread Award   Submit - Silver   Word of Mouth   NBA Live 1000 People Online Supporter
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Thanks for the help guys. I took apart an old VGA cable from a previous xbox (not wanting the break the new black one) and it works fine but live was down yesterday so iv yet to play.

I had to do it this way as I could only connect through my monitor with HDMi to DVi which doesn't carry sound. And I don't think my speakers have a way for digital sound input.

Works fine now.

Thank you people.
Adam Miller is offline   Reply With Quote