PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Party > You Don't Know Jack
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-16-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Blingcannon

Blingcannon's Gamercard
Host Advantage in Jack Attack?

I was playing a few games with a friend over xbox live using the play with xbox live party (or whatever it's called) option. I noticed that my buddy, who was the host, cleaned my clock in the jack attacks. I was buzzing in, basically as quickly as I could (most cases I had guessed the word based on the clue and was waiting for it to show up) but he would win it almost every time. Maybe my friend was just buzzing in faster, but I really felt like I couldn't possibly buzz in fast enough. Has anyone else experienced it? Are there any suggestions as to how host advantage could be reduced? My xbox is currently connected using one of the original wireless adapters to a wireless-n router and I don't usually notice any lag in other games.
Blingcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
SPAZZx625

Send a message via AIM to SPAZZx625

SPAZZx625's Gamercard
I think it's equally likely that you just weren't fast enough...
Old 02-17-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Itsbrown4606

Itsbrown4606's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 2   Road Map - Bronze   Burnout Paradise Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAZZx625 View Post
I think it's equally likely that you just weren't fast enough...

Err, no, host advantage is rampant and is easily noticeable if you, for instance, know the answer in Jack Attacks.

Also, fix your sig.
Itsbrown4606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
JakShowtime

JakShowtime's Gamercard
I have yet to host a game and have dominated most of the Jack Attacks I've been apart of...
JakShowtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:19 AM   #5
leafsandbeer

beers and leafs's Gamercard
Every game that I've played I've noticed the same thing...even when I think I answered it, they've already got it.
leafsandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Pea Tear Gryphon

Las Veg Oz's Gamercard
Same here. I notice it when I play a friend...not a random person. If I am hosting I see and feel an advantage. My friend notices the same when getting to the Jack Attack portion of the episode.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
shadowr4ven

Shadow XBL's Gamercard
last night I didn't get one jack attack question, even while banging on "A" as the question slipped away unanswered. I don't get it.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
Maka

Send a message via MSN to Maka

Maka91's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Road Map - Platinum   Achievement Guide - Emerald   GRID 2 Award   Submit - Platinum   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Micro Guide - Gold   Over Achiever - Bronze   Referrals - Silver   x360a Book Club   5,000 Posts   A+ Thread Award   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 20 (more» ...)
I've been struggling with Jack Attack while not hosting. Can't seem to get a single one, no matter how fast I am.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Jump Joker

Jump Joker's Gamercard
I think there is a host advantage in Jack Attack. In the rounds I've played I've always smoked everyone time wise on Dis or Dat (so I know it's not a reaction issue) but if I'm not hosting, I usually only get 2 or 3 on Jack Attack even though some of the rounds I've already played and know the answers immediately.
Jump Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Itsbrown4606

Itsbrown4606's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   2,500 Posts   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Donator - Level 2   Road Map - Bronze   Burnout Paradise Subscribers Tourn. - First Place   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump Joker View Post
I think there is a host advantage in Jack Attack. In the rounds I've played I've always smoked everyone time wise on Dis or Dat (so I know it's not a reaction issue) but if I'm not hosting, I usually only get 2 or 3 on Jack Attack even though some of the rounds I've already played and know the answers immediately.
DisOrDats are different in that you have your own clock the game keeps track off and then reports your score to the host. It works because every player plays their own DisOrDat. In Jack Attack, everyone is playing at the same time which is why the game attempts to make sure everyone's choices are shown at the exact same time, but alas, host advantage means the host know when it buzzes in, faster than everyone else can AND report to the host that they have.
Itsbrown4606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #11
ThaPauly

ChaozXero's Gamercard
I don't think there is a host advantage. A week or so ago I was playing one night with 3 other random people, and in the half dozen or so games we played I was killing on the Jack Attack. At first someone was saying something about host advantage, but I wasn't the host. After a bit one guy even asked if I was just guessing when I thought the right answer was going to come up, because I was buzzing in before he could even see the answer. I'm not saying there's no way I was seeing the answer before them, but it had nothing to do with being the host.
Condemned: Criminal Origins (970/970), Enchanted Arms, Viva Piņata, Samurai Warriors 2: Empires, Dead Rising, Assassin's Creed, Viva Piņata: Party Animals, Saw, Assassin's Creed 2, The Godfather (1250/1250), Scene It? Lights Camera Action, BioShock (1100/1100)
1OO% Completed Arcade
1 vs 100, Dash of Destruction, A Kingdom for Keflings
1000/200 (No DLC)
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers (plus DLC1)
ThaPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
Jump Joker

Jump Joker's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsbrown4606 View Post
DisOrDats are different in that you have your own clock the game keeps track off and then reports your score to the host. It works because every player plays their own DisOrDat. In Jack Attack, everyone is playing at the same time which is why the game attempts to make sure everyone's choices are shown at the exact same time, but alas, host advantage means the host know when it buzzes in, faster than everyone else can AND report to the host that they have.
You missed my point...My reaction time was faster than everyone else in the Dis or Dat by several seconds. Yet somehow they manage to buzz in before me even when I already knew the answer for the Jack Attack and hit the button the instant the answer showed
Jump Joker is offline   Reply With Quote