PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > The Sports Bar
Subscribe    Donate

Old 02-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Official Boxing Discussion Thread

Boxing MEMES!
http://thebodyblow.wordpress.com/boxing-memes-2/

*edit
before i start this thread though, i see how this can be a portal of a lot of spam and trolls.
So please, if you're just going to write Pacquiao is on steroids and Floyd is a coward or David Haye is a huge ducker... kindly keep those comments to yourselves.

Does anybody here enjoy watching the sport? I don't know.... I feel like most people talk about Pacquiao/Mayweather all the time and the Klitscko brothers.
I got into it around the same time as I did for football (actually before) thanks to the t.v show the contender.
Anyway, I thought I'd start things off by something i just read about earlier but I thought it was just a rumor when I read about it earlier. Erik Morales against Marcos Maidana? All I can really say about this is.... really?
I mean, Morales is a mexican legend and one of I believe 5 mexicans to win titles in 3 weight classes. He's definitely past his prime, he was on a 4 fight losing streak since retiring in 07 and Maidana is a beast. He's a very powerful punchers, we saw that when he nearly knocked out Khan in his loss last year (even though it's criticized he has a weak chin).
He's on a 3 win streak since coming back... but against B-level fighters.
I don't know what to say about this... all i can do is hope that Morales is safe (he complained about his head hurting every time he got hit. Agaisnt Maidana... serious damage can be done). He may have the ability to see openings and know what to do.... but he's on a decline and hasn't had a significant win in years.
I just hope the Ref knows what he's doing and stops it if things go bad.
Also, this saturday is a bout for Flyweight supremacy. One of the 5 mexicans i mentioned earlier, Montiel will be fighting Nonito Donaire. Should be interesting to watch.

Last edited by KFZ Scrubs; 08-16-2012 at 11:21 PM.
KFZ Scrubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I used to watch boxing all the time. I've fallen out of it lately, mainly because I don't have a favorite fighter to watch. I've been watching a lot of ESPN Classic when they put on old, sometimes really old, fights.

Is that Flyweight championship on Showtime, HBO, PPV? I would watch it if I can get it.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:43 AM   #3
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 10,000 posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
I believe it's going to be on HBO, or at least that's what i've been told to believe. I'm going to a friends house to watch it so i'll have to ask them.
Also, I agree about boxing... it's been falling out for sometime now with UFC taking the center stage.
I enjoy watching classic fights as well... two days ago I got to watch Duran v Leonard 1 and 2.
Here's a video hyping up Saturday's fight
To be honest... I enjoy watching the lower weightclasses fight... I swear they always have the most epic battles in the ring.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
Takamura Bear

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
While I'm not a massive fan of today's boxing and prefer watching UFC instead, for many years now I have been infatuated with the "classic" boxing, e.g. boxing in between 1960s-1980s eras.

Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Ray Robinson, Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, all of those legends. There are three fighters on this list who are on my top three greatest fighters of all time list.

I can talk about this shit all day long because, to me, those were the golden ages of boxing. I don't know everything about boxing, but I'll always have an interest in the golden ages of boxing.

As for today, well, I don't really watch a lot fights as I don't want to buy the PPV, so I just watch them online the next day. Actaully, thinking about it, there is a primetime channel on my tv and I've watched a few of Carl Froch's fights.

I do want to see David Haye fight at least one of the Klitschko brothers, but it just seems that both camps can't come to an agreement. As funny as it sounds, I think Haye would have more problems with Vitali than Wladimir, lol.

As for Pacman and Money...it will only happen when Pac is past it and Floyd will jump at the chance.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
I really liked watching Calzaghe. I'm not up on a lot of big names right now. I just moved and my DirectTV guy isn't going to be here until Monday. Maybe I'll gather up some friends and watch it at a bar. Looks interesting.

Have you watched "Lights Out" on FX? Thoughts?
Old 02-21-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takamura Bear View Post
While I'm not a massive fan of today's boxing and prefer watching UFC instead, for many years now I have been infatuated with the "classic" boxing, e.g. boxing in between 1960s-1980s eras.

Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Ray Robinson, Duran, Leonard, Hagler, Hearns, all of those legends. There are three fighters on this list who are on my top three greatest fighters of all time list.

I can talk about this shit all day long because, to me, those were the golden ages of boxing. I don't know everything about boxing, but I'll always have an interest in the golden ages of boxing.

As for today, well, I don't really watch a lot fights as I don't want to buy the PPV, so I just watch them online the next day. Actaully, thinking about it, there is a primetime channel on my tv and I've watched a few of Carl Froch's fights.

I do want to see David Haye fight at least one of the Klitschko brothers, but it just seems that both camps can't come to an agreement. As funny as it sounds, I think Haye would have more problems with Vitali than Wladimir, lol.

As for Pacman and Money...it will only happen when Pac is past it and Floyd will jump at the chance.
Agreed, like i said, didn't get into it until the first season of the Contender and i've been trying to watch classic fights to catch up on my history. Haggler... monster... anybody remember this?
This made me fall in love with it so much.
You had so many heavyweights back then too... now the only heavyweights anybody talks about is the Klitchko brothers and Haye for not fighting them.
Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray leonard.... as great as i think Manny is... they'd beat him and pretty much any other welterweight today.

Now on to recent fights.... Donaire v.s Montiel for Bantamweight supremacy (even though i said flyweight.. i was wrong).
Was a pretty dope, but short fight. Nasty left hook got Montiel and it was all done from there. Look familiar though? Knockout from a left in the second round?
@ 2:00

Sergio Martinez vs. Paul Williams

I mean, I thought he should have been called a KO when he hit the canvas... but the ref didn't want to call it that way.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:51 AM   #7
Takamura Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFZ Scrubs View Post
Agreed, like i said, didn't get into it until the first season of the Contender and i've been trying to watch classic fights to catch up on my history. Haggler... monster... anybody remember this?
YouTube - Marvin Hagler vs. Tommy Hearns - The War - Part 1

This made me fall in love with it so much.
You had so many heavyweights back then too... now the only heavyweights anybody talks about is the Klitchko brothers and Haye for not fighting them.
Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray leonard.... as great as i think Manny is... they'd beat him and pretty much any other welterweight today.
Yeah, that fight was savage. Shame it didn't last very long. Hagler broke his nose and Hearns actually broke his hand in the first or second round and couldn't defend himself. It was just a matter of time before Hagler caught him with a big one. Hearns could throw a punch, just couldn't take one. Hagler could just not be KO'd.

It's weird, but Duran did much better against Hagler than Hearns did, despite losing. Duran kept him on his toes and would have won if it was a 12-rounder.

Duran was natural 135 (Lightweight) pounder going up in weight, fighting and beating all these monsters while he was past his best. He made pro in 1968, didn't retire until 2002. His prime was early 1970s, beat a prime Leonard in 1980.

Guy had so many moments of "rebirth" that you just wonder how deep his greatness went. Go watch his incredible fight against Iran Barkley, a monster who beat Hearns twice, on Youtube.

And I'm probably the only person who's just a bit "meh" about the whole Pacquiao/Mosley fight. I don't think Sugar is done or washed up like a lot of people think he is, but I think Manny should be fighting someone else a little bit more up the ladder.

I think he finishes Mosley within seven rounds to be honest.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:09 AM   #8
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

I don't know if anybody else watched it ( I didn't) but Canelo just beat Matthew Hatton to become the youngest Junior Middleweight champ in History.... kind of bull though. I mean, Hatton is a normal welterweight and never fought at JMW.
This kid is impressive though, he's only 20 and he's won 33 I believe now. Don't know if you can argue if he has any quality wins, but the window's wide open for him right now.
Also congrats to Zab for winning tonight... now lets see if he's still got it.
I'd love to see a rematch with Mayweather as a tune-up for the rumored Pacquiao bout.... southpaws give Mayweather problems and Zab had a great fight against him.... even though he got screwed over with not getting the knockdown.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Dert McGert

Dert McGert's Gamercard
So Mayorga/Cotto........I just wish we would have got to see Mayorga/Din Thomas.
Hendo/Liddel
Couture/CC (Old CC Hopefully)
Shogun/Lil Nog 2

Quote:
Silva said he is still upset about how bad he got beat up in the second Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic fight in Pride’s open-weight tournament semi-finals in September 2006. He laughed and said he begged officials not to stop the fight when he was bloodied up because he hadn’t even hit Cro Cop yet.
Dert McGert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #10
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert McGert View Post
So Mayorga/Cotto........I just wish we would have got to see Mayorga/Din Thomas.
I've been seeing a lot of ads on the site for this.
I'm excited, stupid Mayorga actually got me hyped to see him fight even though we all know he's going to lose. I swear though, if he actually pulls off an upset, well i'll be damned.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Takamura Bear

Didn't see the Cotto/Mayorga fight myself, but I found a few Gifs of the fight on sherdog. It was meant to be a really good fight as well, might watch it online later.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #12
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

http://www.8countnews.com/news/125/A...011-03-20.html
Hypocrites will be hypocrites. I love Manfredo Jr. and I know he needs the money because he's going through hard times.... but he doesn't deserve it. I'll be pulling for him bigtime if this happens, dude's a G.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
SabreOscar

Send a message via AIM to SabreOscar

o0 SABRE 0o's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
This forum really needs an "Official Boxing Thread." I know there are quit a few Boxing fans on this forum, so lets make it happen!

To Generate some conversation I ask a question.

Who are you picking in the Amir Khan vs Zab Judah fight?

I think it will be well fought by both fighters with both of them hitting the canvas at least once, but I think Khan will pull out a decision.

^Thanks to Refined Suicide for the Sig^
<<Thanks to xFortyseven for the Avatar

Follow Me At:
@MilitaryGamer on Twitter
http://militarygamer.blogspot.com/
SabreOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreOscar View Post
This forum really needs an "Official Boxing Thread." I know there are quit a few Boxing fans on this forum, so lets make it happen!

To Generate some conversation I ask a question.

Who are you picking in the Amir Khan vs Zab Judah fight?

I think it will be well fought by both fighters with both of them hitting the canvas at least once, but I think Khan will pull out a decision.
I don't know who to pick honestly... my gut says Khan, but after his last performance against McKloskey... he looked kind of shaky there. I mean, he clearly dominated him but it wasn't as spectacular as I thought it'd be and it was stopped prematurely. Zab seems to be on some kind of comeback when he worked over and broke down his opponent for his belt so I wouldn't count him out as possibly winning.
I'm going to go with Khan winning by UD (I see some knockdowns but no knockout in this fight).

*edit
Check it out, latest article I wrote about the biggest upsets in boxing 6 months in
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...upsets-of-2011

Last edited by KFZ Scrubs; 06-20-2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #15
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Have any of you guys ever been to a fight, live? I haven't. I've always wanted to. When I lived in Houston they were hard to find. When a moderately big fight would take place, it was really hard to get tickets. The Latin culture in Houston have some of the most rabid boxing fans I've ever seen. Now, in Colorado it's really difficult to find a fight.

I've seen fights at my gym, but nothing with a card. I always check on fights in Vegas on ticketmaster or StubHub, but they're always 600-1000 or more even. Plus gas and a hotel, it's just to much.

KFZ (or anyone), do you know of any sites that promote local boxing?
Old 06-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBlueSpade2xX View Post
Have any of you guys ever been to a fight, live? I haven't. I've always wanted to. When I lived in Houston they were hard to find. When a moderately big fight would take place, it was really hard to get tickets. The Latin culture in Houston have some of the most rabid boxing fans I've ever seen. Now, in Colorado it's really difficult to find a fight.

I've seen fights at my gym, but nothing with a card. I always check on fights in Vegas on ticketmaster or StubHub, but they're always 600-1000 or more even. Plus gas and a hotel, it's just to much.

I don't know of any sites that promote local boxing. Where do you live at? Not Houston anymore right?
Also, I really want to go see Sergio Martinez live at Atlantic city Oct.1
It's the closest Venue to me and one of the biggest fighters I can go see... it's still a 8 hour drive though up there.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:50 AM   #17
JumpMan928

JumpMan928's Gamercard
Finally a boxing thread here long overdue. Anybody catch that beating Steve Forbes took last Fri?

I've been to just one fight but it was over quicker than I thought in '04 when Tarver knocked out Jones in the 2 round. The atmosphere is awesome in vegas especially back then but UFC took that shit over.
JumpMan928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #18
SabreOscar

o0 SABRE 0o's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
I think on an average Card UFC beats Boxing. But on a Super Card with Headline names Boxing beats UFC.

Right now the dream match up in UFC is Silva vs GSP, there is no way in hell that does more money at the gate, ppv buys, etc. then a Mayweather vs Pacman fight.

Dont get me wrong UFC is great, I watch every event, and I am a HUGE fan. But Boxing will always be king when it comes to the major names fighting.

Follow Me At:
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 AM   #19
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
I think on an average Card UFC beats Boxing. But on a Super Card with Headline names Boxing beats UFC.

Right now the dream match up in UFC is Silva vs GSP, there is no way in hell that does more money at the gate, ppv buys, etc. then a Mayweather vs Pacman fight.

Dont get me wrong UFC is great, I watch every event, and I am a HUGE fan. But Boxing will always be king when it comes to the major names fighting.
Yea.... UFC's highest grossing fight from the gate ( I don't know what it means, but it's some stat they have) is 8 million.... that's boxing's 47th highest.
Anyway, I love the superfights that boxing has sometimes... damn sanctioning bodies and promoters mess things up though sometimes.
I missed FNF last week, but bravo to Grady Brewer... man was fantastic in his victory.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:20 AM   #20
SabreOscar

o0 SABRE 0o's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBlueSpade2xX View Post
I like to visit www.fightnews.com at least once a week. However this is probably not what you are looking for but it does have a lot of content on up and coming fighters. Most of the info is contributed, speaking of which KFZ you should look into this, they need a correspondent for Atlantic City.

Follow Me At:
Old 06-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #21
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
I like to visit www.fightnews.com at least once a week. However this is probably not what you are looking for but it does have a lot of content on up and coming fighters. Most of the info is contributed, speaking of which KFZ you should look into this, they need a correspondent for Atlantic City.
Haha cool, I wrote those stuff for fun because I like boxing and I live 8 hours away from Atlantic city... I asked what they were looking for funsies though.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Dert McGert

Dert McGert's Gamercard
Quote:

But the boxing "superfights" are dying out. What's left for boxing after Pac/Mayweather?
Hendo/Liddel
Shogun/Lil Nog 2

Quote:
Silva said he is still upset about how bad he got beat up in the second Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic fight in Pride’s open-weight tournament semi-finals in September 2006. He laughed and said he begged officials not to stop the fight when he was bloodied up because he hadn’t even hit Cro Cop yet.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #23
SabreOscar

o0 SABRE 0o's Gamercard

Quote:
But the boxing "superfights" are dying out. What's left for boxing after Pac/Mayweather?
Regardless of the outcome of that fight both fighters will still be big time draws.

Mayweather/Pacman vs Anybody is still going to do huge numbers.

As for who else can draw big numbers besides Pac and Mayweather I will admit there is a significant drop off. Boxing needs to take a page out of the UFC's notebook and do better at marketing people like Sergio Martinez, Saul Alvarez, Gamboa, Amir Khan, etc.

Chavez Jr brings in a shitload of money down in Mexico but thats only because of his fathers name but a match with him and Sergio Martinez could do just as well if not better then they typical UFC PPV Card.

Follow Me At:
Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #24
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
I'm not too worried... same thing happened in the past when everyone was like, OMG, what's after De La Hoya? NoTHING!!!

Trust me, there will still be stars and good fighters left. Canelo is making himself seem like a legitimate threat and living up to his hype. One big fight at JMW and he'll cement himself as the best in the weight class.
JWW is a stacked division and lightweight has some fairly entertaining fighters there as well in Guerrero, Rios and such.
I bet as soon as Paquiao retires, all the Casual fans will hop onto the Nonito Donaire bandwagon.... kid's good, too bad he had that whole contract debacle.

And Sabre, good news for Sergio. WBC is making JCC Jr do what he's supposed to do and making a mandatory fight against Martinez in 2012.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
Mighty Goliath89

THE GOLIATH's Gamercard
I used to watch boxing alot of the time and many many moons ago I was wanting to do it professinaly when I used to do it but I just fell out the loop, as has been said before there isnt many good fights any more altough that being said pac/mayweather (as has been said previously) would be intresting. and I have to admit I have been out the loop for a while and would like to get back into it

Thanks to Whiplash x360a for the cool sig ^^b

"Let's see what you're made of."
Kabal
Mighty Goliath89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Goliath89 View Post
I used to watch boxing alot of the time and many many moons ago I was wanting to do it professinaly when I used to do it but I just fell out the loop, as has been said before there isnt many good fights any more altough that being said pac/mayweather (as has been said previously) would be intresting. and I have to admit I have been out the loop for a while and would like to get back into it
Couple of good fights coming up too. Huge heavyweight bout in Wladimir vs Haye on July Second.
Then there's Amir vs. Zab Judah on July 23rd... one step closer to JWW supremacy.
Brandon Rios is facing Antillon on July 9th
Paul Williams is taking on Irislandy Lara
And JMM is having his tune-up bout on the 16th.

Pacquiao Mayweather.... I'm meh with it now. If it happens, it happens.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:32 AM   #27
Dert McGert

Dert McGert's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFZ Scrubs View Post
Couple of good fights coming up too. Huge heavyweight bout in Wladimir vs Haye on July Second.
Then there's Amir vs. Zab Judah on July 23rd... one step closer to JWW supremacy.
Brandon Rios is facing Antillon on July 9th
Paul Williams is taking on Irislandy Lara
And JMM is having his tune-up bout on the 16th.

Pacquiao Mayweather.... I'm meh with it now. If it happens, it happens.
Wladimir will do what he does best, drag the fight on to a decision.
Amir will probably ko Zab.
And as for Canelo, he looked good, but he wasn't being pressured too much against Rhodes. I hope to see a step-up in competition for his next fight.
Hendo/Liddel
Shogun/Lil Nog 2

Quote:
Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 AM   #28
KFZ Scrubs

KFZ Nobody's Gamercard

Quote:
Wladimir will do what he does best, drag the fight on to a decision.
Amir will probably ko Zab.
And as for Canelo, he looked good, but he wasn't being pressured too much against Rhodes. I hope to see a step-up in competition for his next fight.
Canelo was landing at will against Rhodes and was essentially a shutout for the whole fight.
People think Haye's electrifying style and mind games will force Wlad to change his style on fight night.... I think not though... I think a late KO will happen in the 11th.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 AM   #29
SabreOscar

o0 SABRE 0o's Gamercard

Arum is willing to do Chavez vs Canelo, all talk imo. I dont think they want any piece of Canelo.

Anyone else think Devon Alexander is going to lose his "redemption" fight?

Follow Me At:
Old 06-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #30
JumpMan928

JumpMan928's Gamercard
Canelo is a bad dude I can't wait to see that kid get some bigger names in the near future.

As for Haye and Wladimir that's a case of a cruiser weight fighting a super heavyweight. There's just too much of a size difference I see it going to the 5th or 6th and Wladimir will get the TKO.
JumpMan928 is offline   Reply With Quote