PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Adventure > Beyond Good & Evil HD
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #1
chrispaulnichol

Smicks's Gamercard
Angry Camera controls aaaaaggghhhh

Not having separate controls for x and y axis is insane. I invert Y but have normal X and in my experience that is the normal setting for inverted. I have emailed Ubisoft and am waiting for a response. Don't usually complain about this sort of thing but it such an annoying oversight. Also whoever says that zelda had this set up years ago is WRONG.
chrispaulnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
UCB Disco

Disco Penguins's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Dude, seriously? It's an 8-year-old game, and a fantastic one at that. The camera controls are not bad at all, considering what's being worked with.

Now, if you want bad camera controls, go play Superman 64. That will drive you into true insanity.

UCB Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Echtzeit

Echtzeit's Gamercard
My feelings exactly, I couldn't play the game at first because of this.

But then I used a little trick by accident! I played a different game with the controls set up exactly like this, where looking up and down didn't matter as much (Asterix at the Olympic Games). After I beat that game, it was absolutely no problem to play through Beyond Good & Evil!

My blogs (all in german):
Gamgea.com
LetsGetDigital.de
HomebrewWelt.com
Echtzeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Nolwren

Nolwren's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCB Disco View Post
Dude, seriously? It's an 8-year-old game, and a fantastic one at that. The camera controls are not bad at all, considering what's being worked with.
No, I agree with him actually. Just because the ORIGINAL is eight years old doesn't mean they couldn't have improved it in the remake. That's, you know, why they call it a "remake."

Still enjoying it nonetheless. I had to switch to inverted controls, but then that messed up up-and-down viewing. Every time I enter a new area or room the camera is oriented too far above Jade so I have to adjust it constantly.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
Laxi

Laaxi's Gamercard
Quote:

Now, if you want bad camera controls, go play Superman 64. That will drive you into true insanity.

think again.

how long of programming would it have taken them to add this function in the options. 5 minutes?
Laxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #6
xI WARFARE

John Rycroft's Gamercard
I'm sure you'll get over it. Stop whining.

SSFIV - From C to shining C achievement unlocked!
xI WARFARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM   #7
UCB Disco

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxi View Post
think again.

how long of programming would it have taken them to add this function in the options. 5 minutes?
Not at all. They would have to rework the programming of the game itself. All this "remake" did was make the game HD. They didn't change much of anything else.

And again, it's NOT bad. People are spoiled by modern games, but for its time, this was fantastic. I take that back, it's still fantastic, especially at 800MSP.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
UCB Disco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolwren View Post
No, I agree with him actually. Just because the ORIGINAL is eight years old doesn't mean they couldn't have improved it in the remake. That's, you know, why they call it a "remake."

Still enjoying it nonetheless. I had to switch to inverted controls, but then that messed up up-and-down viewing. Every time I enter a new area or room the camera is oriented too far above Jade so I have to adjust it constantly.
It's not a remake. They just cleaned up the game's graphics and slapped an HD on the name. The game at it's core is still the same as it was, just like the Serious Sam HD games.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
Cygnes

Cygnes's Gamercard
I played this the first time around and had the same problem. Drove me nuts, was hoping they would have changed it this time. Nope, weak. Ill just have to fight through it.... again. Regardless, its worth the extra effort. A damn fine game.

Enjoy,
-Cyg
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 AM   #10
death14796

death14796's Gamercard
I agree the camera is really puttin me off, biggest & only disappointment about the game. Inverted controls have become my default controls for the last 3gens of consoles n the standard "normal" controls r like playin whilst drunk to me now. Ps as for the game being 8years old n not having invert, the gamecube version (PAL) had the ability to do so. I still have it n bought the xbla version to c the hd remake difference......n the achievements lol
death14796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #11
Dannyb0yUK

Dannyb0yUK's Gamercard
Quote:
Not at all. They would have to rework the programming of the game itself. All this "remake" did was make the game HD. They didn't change much of anything else.

And again, it's NOT bad. People are spoiled by modern games, but for its time, this was fantastic. I take that back, it's still fantastic, especially at 800MSP.
I can't believe I missed this at the time, but once again, where is this ridiculous notion that it would have been any kind of hard work coming from? Well, I know where it's coming from- it's merely an argument that the people on your side of the argument have invented to back up their point.

Even more ridiculous is the whole 'people are spoiled by modern games' spiel. These narrow minded views are pathetic and just shows how ignorant people like yourself are of issues, purely because they don't affect you personally. Also, for about the billionth time, nobody is saying the game is bad- just that the control awkardness spoils it for a large number of people.

Funnily enough though, you'll write a damn essay on the subject when a control scheme inconveniences you.
Hi! I'm nine years old and if you ever have an opinion that differs from mine, I'm going to become immediately hostile... because I'm super mature and that's how people ought to react to those who think differently from me!

Idiots make me angry.

Last edited by Dannyb0yUK; 03-17-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Dannyb0yUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #12
Captain Spacker

Captain Spacker's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by xI WARFARE View Post
I'm sure you'll get over it. Stop whining.
But they could have fixed it so easily and it is a real issue for some people. Also, when you enter the camera it points at what Jade is looking at rather than the camera. A tiny bit of fiddling would make this game drastically better to play
Captain Spacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
Falcon9x5

Quote:
They obviously had to implement some code changes, if only for the new controllers and achievements (and leaderboards?).

Anyway, here's the code that would need to be added for the invert bit.
It's not quite as easy as I'm making it out to be, but it's not far off.

Instead of

bool invertX = invertY = invertOption;

Have

bool invertX = invertOptionX;
bool invertY = invertOptionY;

Tricky, I know.
Falcon9x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #14
Dihnekis

damn, i was about to buy this but i play invert as well. i guess i'll have to play the trial and see how annoying it is.
Dihnekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
TVthePunisher

Send a message via AIM to TVthePunisher Send a message via MSN to TVthePunisher Send a message via Yahoo to TVthePunisher

TVthePunisher's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Subscriber - Bronze   Genre Competition - Second Place   Arcade Crazy - Silver   Donator - Level 1   2,500 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Really, that's everyone's issue with the camera? I hate how it constantly jumps at certain areas that make it nearly impossible to see what you're doing. Hell right now I'm in combat at the Slaughterhouse with some Trilobites and it keeps jumping at very weird angles while I'm trying to move around. It does this at various locations throughout the game, so my issue is that the camera is partially broken!

Like the two angles in this fight are Above Jade like blimp view and sitting on the floor, staring closeup at Jade...doesn't really give me a view of the enemies I'm fighting ~__~

Quote:
R.I.P. Random Thought of the Day...Thread - Take 1.
5/13/2013 - 8/15/2014 - 15,243 Posts of Awesome.
Never forget.
TVthePunisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:06 AM   #16
EXM9000

EXM9000's Gamercard
Yes, the camera control of this re-release of an 8-year old game is a bit wonky. I found it worst when navigating the hovercraft through the slaughter house. But then I found pressing Y (xbox360) to enter compass mode made it a lot easier.
EXM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Sygness

Sygness's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by death14796 View Post
I agree the camera is really puttin me off, biggest & only disappointment about the game. Inverted controls have become my default controls for the last 3gens of consoles n the standard "normal" controls r like playin whilst drunk to me now. Ps as for the game being 8years old n not having invert, the gamecube version (PAL) had the ability to do so. I still have it n bought the xbla version to c the hd remake difference......n the achievements lol
Gamecube had this option? So THAT'S why I don't remember this being such a pain from when I played this game back then.
Sygness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
MKLKT

MKLKT's Gamercard
The herky jerky camera response in this game makes me feel ill after an hour or so. It's been a while since I've played a game with this poor of camera angles, I forgot how annoying it is. That's really the only downside so far that I've found, thankfully.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
Acid Erosion88

Acid Erosion88's Gamercard
I used to play Kingdom Hearts and Dynasty Warriors with everything inverted but after all the 3rd person shooters of this generation I can't get used to it again... Damn
Acid Erosion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
Nathan de Jack

Nathan de Jack's Gamercard
I find the camera controls disgustingly awful. I'm not talking about the inverting, but the semi-fixed camera. At first it was just a minor annoyance, but by the time I got to the slaughterhouse it had become repulsively awful. The fixed angles would never be in anyplace useful, when I did move it would of course immediately revert to the closest (useless) angle, and sometimes the horrible little thing would get stuck and shake violently (much to my stomach's detriment).
The fact that the camera is so uselessly terrible is absolutely ridiculous. I agree with Nolwren. Camera issues from back in the 2000s should not be in this updated version.
Nathan de Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #21
JakJakAttacks

JakJakAttacks's Gamercard
Oh they're abysmal. During certain parts of the game I died multiple times because I couldn't see what I was doing.

By far my biggest complaint of the game.
JakJakAttacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #22
xEndriux

xEndriux's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
about the camera Let me say one of the worst game ever

Seriously 3.0 unlocked 2/20/2012
1st on x360a: Metro Last Light - Metro 2033 - PES2010 - PES2011- FableIII Traitor's Keep - Marvel SSH:TIG Thanos Throwdown

Completed XBLA: 46/46
Completed Retail: 191/193
Completed Retail with DLC: 191/193
GS Completion: 99.95%

xEndriux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #23
vSully

vSully's Gamercard
Fuck. Wish I had seen this thread before buying the game. Not being able to just invert Y is a deal breaker.
vSully is offline   Reply With Quote