Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Adventure > Alan Wake
Subscribe    Donate

Old 03-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
mockxxsniperxx

IW Redemption's Gamercard
Nightmare difficulty.....

really not as hard as i thought.......so far. im on episode 4 at the begining and hoping in the next couple of days that ill beat it

anyone have any tips that could help me in these last 2 chapters??

*note* i've already beaten the game once so your not ruining anything for me

mockxxsniperxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
fatalitysquared

fatality1254's Gamercard
just pretty much run it, continue doing what youve been doing theres not much (if anything) thats really that hard.
fatalitysquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #3
angelus0901

angelus0901's Gamercard
I just finished it and it's not hard at all!
angelus0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
cptmorgemaker

cpt morge maker's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Same here on Ep 4 just started the game today and u just run. But save flares and Flare gun for big battles but I try and save to many at the end of chapter 3 u loose everything and I have 32 shotgun, 42 gun, 11 flares, 8 flare gun. And didnt use any flare gun yet in the whole game so mad but I'll use them and then need them but yes sooooooooooo easy

cptmorgemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
Crosly

Crosly's Gamercard
Chapter 5 is easy since u have the Sheriff helping you and she has infinite ammo. I just zapped the Taken and let her kill them as I ran around. I only fired when it got messy.
Chapter 6 I just ignored alot of Taken and drove as far as I could each time. On foot I used flares and flashbangs alot, so not much killing.

Completed yesterday^^ GL
Crosly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
FLiPo

flipom's Gamercard
I'm just bought this game yesterday, and i'm going to start playing it really soon, should i start it in nightmare? Or do a normal walkthrough first?

Thank you
FLiPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
Eggnogga

Eggnogga's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
You have to play through either Normal or Hard before Nightmare is unlocked. I'd personally play through it on Normal the first time to get yourself used to the controls and levels.
Eggnogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 AM   #8
Entegy

Send a message via AIM to Entegy Send a message via MSN to Entegy

Entegy's Gamercard
I played on Hard the first time through and I was ok. The only major problem are those damned birds.
Entegy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Phengophobic

Choskie's Gamercard
Still have to do a Nightmare run-through - hopefully it won't be as bad as anticipated.
Phengophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
unholyro11er

Unholyro11er's Gamercard
I did not find it overly difficult on nightmare but my biggest tip would be to just run as fast as you can and avoid fighting most of the enemies, dodging attacks etc, and save up batteries and flares for the big fights stadium etc.

unholyro11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 AM   #11
Dizenty

dizenty's Gamercard
same here i found that you can void some fights if you dont pick up the weapons at some points of the game,btw did any of you killed the lumberjack? cuz i couldnt no matter how hard i tried i always ran out of ammo and getting killed lol
Dizenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
hype

IncredibleHype's Gamercard
it's not hard, just annoying as fuck at times. especially the birds. i missed a Nightmare page at the farm so i'm going back to get it now. can't wait to ship this piece of shit back to GameFly.

originally i had planned on doing the DLCs as well but i think i've had enough of Mr. Wake...

hijo del maliante puro.
hype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
SketchStone

SketchStone's Gamercard
You can mostly run from fights, however, there are some nasty bottlenecks which can really put a crimp on your day. One of the worst of these is the massive Taken attack at the gate in chapter 4 when Barry is searching for the key. I had naff all ammo at this point and it took me an age and endless repeats to get past it on Hard. However, for Nightmare, it was oddly easier, largely thanks to finding the chest before I entered this area.

Otherwise, Birds will be perhaps the biggest thorn in your side... as for the Tele-flanker Taken... just run, or otherwise back yourself into a corner where they can't flank you and patiently take them out whenever they move near.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
SketchStone

SketchStone's Gamercard
Oh, also... stay in the damn car as much as you can. On chapter 6, you should be able to drive your car most of the way along one of the last road stretches, up the slope after opening the gate, and then over the jumps into the junk yard, avoiding many Taken as you do so. Before the digger attack, make sure you've parked the car dead in front of the entrance to where the storage container lifts up, so as soon as you've hit the button you can get in and be protected while the damn thing takes an age to lift.

Short advice - take the classic horror film advice and stay in the car
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Kensington

NYKensington's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mockxxsniperxx View Post
really not as hard as i thought.......so far. im on episode 4 at the begining and hoping in the next couple of days that ill beat it

anyone have any tips that could help me in these last 2 chapters??

*note* i've already beaten the game once so your not ruining anything for me
I found the first couple of episodes the most difficult in Nightmare mode. The last two episodes were a relative breeze, with one exception: the poltergeist attack on the bridge leading up to the giant tractor attack. That took forever and was very frustrating without a checkpoint.

In the end, however, I learned that if you quickly run to the left bumper of the red truck beside the tractor, it can't hit you. From there, you can shine it down at your leisure.
Kensington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #16
Probie18

Probie18's Gamercard
Nightmare was a little challangeing but it wasn't impossible. I found it alot easier than I was expecting. I play games on the easiest settings 99% of the time and I beat nightmare with out much of a problem. Just do what you've been doing the whole time. Fight when you have to and run run run.
Probie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Marvolo

marvolo riddle's Gamercard
Like Kensington said: The first chapters are challenging, but the later in the game the easier it gets, except the posessed objects on the bridge, but far away from impossible.

But I think, it's harder in the early chapters, because of the respect for the "Nightmare"-difficulty you have... just my thoughts!

Completed:

1000+:
Alan Wake (1500), L.A. Noire (1400)

1000:

Lego Harry Potter - Year 1 - 4, Alice: Madness returns, SAW, WWE All-Stars, Open Season, Avatar, SvR 2011, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Lego Indiana Jones, SvR 2009, WWE Legends of Wrestlemania, Lost: Via Domus

XBLA:

Doritio's Crash Course, Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, The Secret of Monkey Island, Harm's Way

WP7:

Butterfly, Assassins Creed HD
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
Garlador

Okay, I may need some help...

I've beaten the game once already, but even then, I think I've been playing the game wrong. All throughout the game, I sort of "endured" it, but never really "got" it.

But the advice for "Nightmare" isn't something I'm good at. So let me ask:

1) How do you "Run" from the Taken? - Whenever I try and run, they always gang up on me, faster than I can run, and clobber me with combos until I'm dead in an instant. I can try and sprint away, but Alan then tires out too quickly and they catch up, resulting in more clobbering, death, and restarts.

2) How do you "Dodge" effectively? - I beat the whole game, and I could dodge every now and then, but then when the stakes are raised or I'm on the run, I can barely do it. When you're holding down the "sprint" button, which is the same as the "dodge" button, how do you go from a sprint to a dodge? How do you avoid going into a sprint when you mean to dodge? When's the best time to dodge? Dodging is so essential to "Nightmare", and I'm so terrible at it.

I love Alan Wake, but the combat is what I'm worst at, to the point I really don't like the game because of it. I love the story, characters, music, atmosphere, graphics, pacing... but the combat is a huge barrier for me. And I'm not sure if it's me playing the game wrong (all the way to the credits) or if the combat (and fleeing) is just that cumbersome and I'm just not good at it and nothing can help that.

Thanks in advance.
Garlador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #19
Joel78

joel78's Gamercard
I had a bit of trouble in the first couple of levels when trying to run for them too as Alan tires too easily. In particular one part just killing a couple of guys and then you run down stairs and have hardly any ammo left and I kept trying to outrun them to the next safe area, best thing is to run until you tire, then turn around and flash them with your light then run some more. That was probably one of the harder areas for me to get past but once you do it's not so bad.

I can't really remember how to dodge properly but hopefully my advice helps a bit.
Joel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #20
Flyinjew

Send a message via AIM to Flyinjew

Flyinjew's Gamercard
I find it easiest to hold away from the enemy and slam on the dodge button. Usually when I'm running, I'll go a short distance and then start backpedaling for a second to see if anyone's too close, and shine my flashlight a bit while recovering stamina to run again.
Flyinjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #21
Numerisch

Numerisch's Gamercard
The Nightmare difficulty is too hard for me.... But very nice tricks, thank you for that.
Numerisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #22
SandpiperN121PP

Sandpiper121PP's Gamercard
It was a great sense of accomplishment for me to be able to finish it on Nightmare mode... but it will challenge even the best of gamers at times. Take it slow... and try to run to the lights as much as possible. Using the trees and other obsticles (light poles, cars, ect.) also helps to keep you from being hit by flying axes and or other things. Best of luck... you can do it!
SandpiperN121PP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #23
Max Torque

Max Torque's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
Okay, I may need some help...

I've beaten the game once already, but even then, I think I've been playing the game wrong. All throughout the game, I sort of "endured" it, but never really "got" it.

But the advice for "Nightmare" isn't something I'm good at. So let me ask:

1) How do you "Run" from the Taken? - Whenever I try and run, they always gang up on me, faster than I can run, and clobber me with combos until I'm dead in an instant. I can try and sprint away, but Alan then tires out too quickly and they catch up, resulting in more clobbering, death, and restarts.
I'm one chapter away from finishing Nightmare, but one thing that works well for me is "flashing" the Taken with your light. Aim your light at them, and give your left trigger a quick pull and release, almost a tap. The bright flash will cause them to recoil and draw back a bit, covering their eyes. Use that as an opportunity to run for a bit. When they get close, do it again. The flash will also stop Taken who are about to throw something. With practice, you can use quick flashes to whittle down single or small groups of Taken without using up any batteries.

Quote:
2) How do you "Dodge" effectively? - I beat the whole game, and I could dodge every now and then, but then when the stakes are raised or I'm on the run, I can barely do it. When you're holding down the "sprint" button, which is the same as the "dodge" button, how do you go from a sprint to a dodge? How do you avoid going into a sprint when you mean to dodge? When's the best time to dodge? Dodging is so essential to "Nightmare", and I'm so terrible at it.
Dodge when the attack is starting. If they haven't started to attack, the dodge won't work. If you've sprinted or dodged too recently, it won't work either; I think there's an inherent lag to the process. You can't go straight from a sprint to a dodge, or at least I can't. Stop running for a second or two, flashing the Taken to slow them down if you need to. Then, dodge away.
Max Torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #24
PutridFlesh

putrid616flesh's Gamercard
Is just the name "nightmare", isn't hard at all
PutridFlesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:51 PM   #25
Vectorman953

Zombie Gary Oak's Gamercard
Some of the harder portions were really trial and error or just running to the next safe-haven.

None of the forced-combat/holdout sections were REALLY that bad.

Vectorman953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:24 AM   #26
JoaquimLz

JoaquimLz's Gamercard
I'm having some problems with nightmare difficulty...But I hope to manage it as soon as possible....
JoaquimLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
Ka5i

Ka5i's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I'm one chapter away from finishing Nightmare, but one thing that works well for me is "flashing" the Taken with your light. Aim your light at them, and give your left trigger a quick pull and release, almost a tap. The bright flash will cause them to recoil and draw back a bit, covering their eyes. Use that as an opportunity to run for a bit. When they get close, do it again. The flash will also stop Taken who are about to throw something. With practice, you can use quick flashes to whittle down single or small groups of Taken without using up any batteries.

Dodge when the attack is starting. If they haven't started to attack, the dodge won't work. If you've sprinted or dodged too recently, it won't work either; I think there's an inherent lag to the process. You can't go straight from a sprint to a dodge, or at least I can't. Stop running for a second or two, flashing the Taken to slow them down if you need to. Then, dodge away.
Thanks for the tipps!!
I wonder... when I beat Nightmare , will I gain the achievement for Hard at the same time?? In some games it works like that, that's why I dare to ask...
Ka5i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:10 PM   #28
keithofse3

Keithofse3's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka5i View Post
Thanks for the tipps!!
I wonder... when I beat Nightmare , will I gain the achievement for Hard at the same time?? In some games it works like that, that's why I dare to ask...
i love alan wake great idea and story for a game, was a long time since i finished so cant be positive on getting the hard achievement
most games do allow you to gain lesser achievements when played on a harder difficulty
keithofse3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 AM   #29
Joel78

joel78's Gamercard
Yes you will get both achievements if you finish on Nightmare mode.
Joel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
Reishirou

Reishirou's Gamercard
I hate doing it on nightmare in a few areas
Reishirou is offline   Reply With Quote