Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Eternal Sonata
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-03-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
Vault Lad

vault lad's Gamercard
Getting back into JRPGS

For whatever reason, when I was really young. I did nothing but play JRPGS. FFVII, FVIII, Skies of Arcadia , Persona, Vagrant Story. But when I turned about 12 or so Halo and Half life 2 (among other games) happened. I havn't picked one up since. Guess I got impatient after discovering FPS's. I was gonna start back again with FFXIII... but I think you know why that didn't work out.

So I've been trying to put this shopping list of JRPGS together so far I've got:

-Lost Odyssey
-Blue Dragon
-Tales of Vesparia

and here I am at Eternal Sonata. Should I get it? Or any other JRPGS you can reccommend. I know this isn't achievement related but I've put this off for so long and chances are if you frequent the cheevo forums of a JRPG then you guys must play the hell out of them
Old 04-03-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
rekikire

rekikire x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Grifter Reborn   Staff Club - rekikire   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Minty   1,000 Posts   x360a Representer   GSL 10 Winner   GSL 10 MVP   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Eternal Sonata is fun, later fights become a bit of a grind once you work out a good team and tactics. The storyline is weird, but that's pretty common for JRPGs, the music is good. And if you really get into it there are three different versions to get achievements on, NTSC, PAL and NTSC-J.
rekikire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
AlanOC91

AlanOC91's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault Lad View Post
For whatever reason, when I was really young. I did nothing but play JRPGS. FFVII, FVIII, Skies of Arcadia , Persona, Vagrant Story. But when I turned about 12 or so Halo and Half life 2 (among other games) happened. I havn't picked one up since. Guess I got impatient after discovering FPS's. I was gonna start back again with FFXIII... but I think you know why that didn't work out.

So I've been trying to put this shopping list of JRPGS together so far I've got:

-Lost Odyssey
-Blue Dragon
-Tales of Vesparia

and here I am at Eternal Sonata. Should I get it? Or any other JRPGS you can reccommend. I know this isn't achievement related but I've put this off for so long and chances are if you frequent the cheevo forums of a JRPG then you guys must play the hell out of them
Im in the same boat as you. I have those games you listed and I ordered Eternal Sonata and im currently waiting for it to arrive. My expectations are high and I hope I get a decent amount of enjoyment from it.
My advise to you would be to start LO. It is an amazing game that truely reminds me of the FF franchise.
AlanOC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
Zagato05

Send a message via AIM to Zagato05

Zagato05's Gamercard
I enjoyed this game. Some times it can be a pain but overall it is a very fun game and is often overlooked. If you want other JRPGs then try out Resonance of Fate or Star Ocean. For me I usually play JRPGs on my DS seeing as they seem to mostly come out on that system.
Zagato05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
peppersken

The PEPman's Gamercard
Just started playing it and it has been years since I played a JRPG. i love it so far. reminds me of the PS2 days where awesome RPGs were coming out every couple months.
peppersken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
O Captain My Captain

CoolieKr0n1c's Gamercard
Eternal Sonata was amazing. Simple yet beautiful. The first playthrough was a joke but the 2nd playthrough was a pleasant challenge.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Shelton

Tully123's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Lost Odyssey is one of the best games on 360. Yes, the combat system is old school, but that's part of the charm. The story is one of the most beautiful and touching in all of gaming history. Can't speak highly enough of the game. Definitely play it first, you won't regret it.

Blue Dragon shares many similarities with Lost Odyssey. Both being made by Mistwalker, it's obvious why. The story and characters in Blue Dragon however, are far less serious. Marumaro has to be one of the most annoying characters ever and Shu's constant "I won't give up!" is lame. Overall the game is fun though, worth playing.

Eternal Sonata is different from the other two. A very bright art style and a mixture of turn based and real time combat makes it an interesting game. The story at times can come across as a history lesson... You do get to hear Chopin's music while reading about his life, so it's not all bad. It does require two playthroughs to get all of the EZI pieces, in JRPG terms though, it's a relatively short game. I thought it was a decent game, not amazing. Oh, one last thing, the cutscenes are incredibly long in this game. The very last is around 45 minutes with some bizarre snail short. Bring some popcorn and drinks if you plan on playing Eternal Sonata.

Tales of Vesperia I haven't had any personal experience with. It had a limited print run in PAL territories and thus was extremely hard to find. Now it's on GoD, I may get it at some point.

Some other recommendations:

* Final Fantasy XIII - Has a really enjoyable battle system, the tutorial drags on far too long however. Story is good, if not a little confusing at times. Very linear, no towns to explore. Amazing graphics.

*Resonance of Fate - I just finished this one. To begin with, the battle system seems very complex. Once you get a handle on it, it becomes pretty run of the mill. The difficulty in this game is excessive. You will get your ass kicked for the majority of the game. The map/hex system is unique and a clever way of handling progression. The story is complete nonsense (well the first time through). I watched every cutscene and still had no idea what was happening. I had to read a synopsis to understand the story. On far too many occasions the game takes a character away from your party, making an already hard game even harder. Chapter 13 main mission is the most pointless thing in all of gaming. Trust me, it will make you rage. Despite all this, I did enjoy the game.

Last edited by Shelton; 05-20-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Krysanth3mum

Krysanth3mum's Gamercard
I have owned Eternal Sonata for a while now, and I still enjoy playing it. It's fun and addictive, without being weighed down by excessive additional features. Plus, the idea of the storyline was unlike anything else I'd heard of. It was a really good buy.
Krysanth3mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #9
Caragan

Send a message via Skype™ to Caragan

Caragan's Gamercard
Well I beat Tales of Vesperia a while back and I'm just about done with my first playthrough of Eternal Sonata. That being said, Tales is one of my favorite games I've played in quite a while...I would recommend playing it before Eternal Sonata. Eternal Sonata is also a pretty good game, but I'm not quite enjoying it as much as I did Tales. Also, Lost Odyssey is a very good game too. I never got around to finishing it, but it's definately worth the money.
Caragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
Caragan

Send a message via Skype™ to Caragan

Caragan's Gamercard
Lol, I just looked at the date of the OP and just now realized it's been exactly a year to the day. Wow...well hopefully someone else finds my 2 cents helpful.
Caragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
Elm

Hassan4's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caragan View Post
Lol, I just looked at the date of the OP and just now realized it's been exactly a year to the day. Wow...well hopefully someone else finds my 2 cents helpful.
I'm trying to decide between this and Tales of Vesperia so it helped me
Elm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
H3L xSHARINGANx

H3L xSHARINGANx's Gamercard
Looks like you've got the best of the bunch there.

Resonance of Fate and The Last Remnant are very good.

Eternal Sonata's fun.
H3L xSHARINGANx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
xSavage Henry

xSavage Henry's Gamercard
Dont get this game. Very boring.
xSavage Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
sleepydumbdude

sleepydumbdude's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
OMG does this game have enough cutscenes. Twice my controller has shut off because of inactivity during these long ass scenes. I'm about to just say F the story and start skipping everything. I've been playing about 6 hours and I like the battles. The story just seems generic and boring but I find most jrpgs start like that and get better...
sleepydumbdude is offline   Reply With Quote