PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Spider-Man: Edge of Time
Subscribe    Donate

Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
daishichi

Daishichi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Marketing for Spider-Man Games (Lousy)

Someone asked on the "First Thoughts" thread about the low hype on Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. I noticed it too, and I actually wrote to Beenox suggesting they fire their marketing team. And I heard back.

Here's how it went:
07/26/10:
To: rkostich@activision.com; dwalsh@activision.com
Cc: robkostich@activision.com; robertkostich@activision.com; robert.kostich@activision.com; denisewalsh@activision.com; denise.walsh@activision.com; info@beenox.com

Subject: Re: SM:SD Marketing

Hi everyone,

I'm no one. But as a longtime gamer and Spidey fan, I am someone who is not just looking forward to playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, but hoping to see the game receive rave reviews and make you guys millions, so that more high quality games will be made in the future.

With that as my motivation, I have some advice for you: fire your marketing team.

You have a promising product with exciting visuals and yet:
  • IGN, "Top 25 Most Wanted Games of 2010": NO MENTION.
  • Game Informer Magazine #208, "E3 Hot 50": NO MENTION.
  • G4TV, four hours of coverage for San Diego Comic Con: NO MENTION.
'Nuff said.

-Dave Nelson
Hi,

Thank you for your advice and pointing these things out. However, most of the game marketing is done by our publisher Activision. Maybe you should write them about this.

Best regards,

Francois Harvey
Stagiaire aux communications /PR Intern, Beenox, Inc.
Just what I figured, I just thought you should know that those guys are failing to deliver your hard work to an audience that would be eager if they knew more. Note the main recipients: I looked up some names at Activision and tried several address formats, looks like Robert Kostich and Denise Walsh received it.

Thanks for the response.

-Dave Nelson

07/29/10:

Subject: SM:SD on Xbox Live

So today I watched an enjoyable video featuring Thomas Wilson of Beenox unveiling the fourth dimension and describing the game as a whole.

Know where I found it? I went to "Inside Xbox" on my dashboard, found "Comic Con 2010" as the fifth tab, and then "Fourth World Revealed" as yet another fifth tab.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? Every other day, I go into Game Marketplace to see what the New Arrivals are on Game Videos. So far, SM: SD has not made an appearance there. You guys have put out at least 8 videos that could have been in the top spot there, which collectively could have translated to another million copies sold. Who did you piss off at Microsoft that your promos are occasionally buried but mostly non-existent?

The one other spot I check regularly on my dashboard is Game Demos. I'm going to pay full price for SM: SD when it comes out, but many others will opt to wait and see. Putting out a demo may very well boost interest significantly (assuming the product is actually good).

I'm sure you're not taking some fanboy's bitching seriously, but I can't make my point any clearer: you're missing out on an opportunity to get your game talked about, make a lot of money and earn the cred you need to make more like it. That's why I'm writing. Batman: Arkham Asylum earned a dozen Game of the Year awards, and it looks like Beenox has created something equally exciting. Play things right, and you too could have a sequel greenlit the day after release. Maybe you're saving your budget for TV spots, but I gotta think that a lot of these promotional venues are hungry for content and would put you on page one for free if you just offered them something to show.

Dave Nelson

PS: Sorry those Gamestop Captain Universe pics ruined your plans to reveal 2099 last. It's pretty obvious; Ultimate was a lame final note. The Gamefly box art leak also defused some of the anticipation you worked so hard to build. Whoever your partnership person is, s/he should be first on the chopping block.

-Dave Nelson
Feel free to bug the same people with the same point. Games that don't sell don't get the support they need, let alone DLC or sequels.

Last edited by Tyger7; 10-05-2011 at 12:39 PM.
daishichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Just wanna say: "You tell 'em!" I still have my copy and my art book which I love. Sadly as is the case with a few rare games, I devolped motion sickness with this game. I don't understand why it happens, but know it is usually due to a shitty chase cam. I can spin around like a kid on crack in an FPS, but Spidey swinging with a crappy cam = sick. T_T

That said I last remember getting to Electro? No! Sandman the boss fight, and haven't played it since. I will beat the game at some point. Just not soon lol...

Back on topic though, I'm glad you gave them a piece of your mind. I hope this game has as good a story as the last, and incorporates a lot of elements from the Spidey franchise. I like that SD included stuff I wasn't all to familiar with, and things that I grew up with, like the voice actors from the various cartoons. Which I did watch, the only one I haven't watched was the recent Disney remake that is still on going I believe? I'll get around to it. Anyways here's hoping this game doesn't disappoint.

I hate people... But don't worry, if you are reading this it likely means I don't hate you. Why? People can't read.

13ip0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
MastrMeatWad

MastrMeatWad's Gamercard
The lack of advertising And news on the game is a huge mistake. I didn't even remember it came out this week and forgot. I didn't even see any reviews on metacritic this morning. Wt?
MastrMeatWad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
CrustyDirtDemon

CrustyDirtDemon's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Im confused, this is the thread for Spiderman Edge of Time, so why are we posting about last year Spiderman Shattered Dimension games? Im lost.

However I agree that their marketing team SUCKS BALLS!
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #5
Tyger7
Moderator and Guide Staff

Send a message via AIM to Tyger7 Send a message via MSN to Tyger7 Send a message via Yahoo to Tyger7 Send a message via Skype™ to Tyger7

tyger7's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Gold   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   5,000 Posts   Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Tyger7   The Helping Hand   Referrals - Silver   Road Map - Diamond   Achievement Guide - Diamond   Staff - Collectibles Guide Team   A+ Thread Award
Total Awards: 17 (more» ...)
He posted this roughly 6 months ago. Wrong forum?

Also, I do believe it's the publisher that needs to put forth the money for marketing. The game got a lot better marketing than the Edge of Time has had. I remember seeing it in magazines (at least, OXM). It made it look pretty good.

Also, the box art was genius.

They seem to have the games backwards, it would have been cooler to go from 2 dimensions to 4, instead of the other way around.
The things people say to get to 5 posts...

Xbox360 games I have
http://darkadia.com/member/tyger7/library

Last edited by Tyger7; 10-05-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Tyger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #6
daishichi

Daishichi's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1
I posted this shortly after EoT was announced, as a prediction of how Activision / Beenox were going to muff the rollout (again). Sure enough, six months later there aren't many people talking about this game.

No review at IGN, nothing at the Game Informer website...the only week-of-release press I've seen has been a launch trailer (if you go looking for it) and a tacked-on mention at the end of commercials for X-Men Destiny (a far inferior game).

10/06 EDIT: I've seen two 15-second commercials for EoT on Comedy Central this past hour; now they tack on a mention of the X-Men game at the end. Not exactly a great showcase, but at least it lets people know the game exists.

I think Beenox has to think about throwing a Demo out there for future releases. People look for new demos all the time, regardless of whether they're anticipating the title, and most sites (like this one) have weekly summaries of what's new. I think EoT would have earned a lot of fans if folks saw the graphics and gameplay.

Agreed on the backwards thing: it would have been cool to introduce fans to 2099 and then later add Noir (I don't see much difference between Amazing and Ultimate). It's kind of like Alien 3: back to one alien? You guys were blowing away dozens of 'em in the last movie!

Last edited by daishichi; 10-06-2011 at 04:16 AM.
daishichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #7
Kaunte

Activision doesn't care about games that aren't called Call of Duty of World of Warcraft. Singularity was another great game they just pushed out to die with no marketing whatsoever.
Kaunte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
13ip0lar

Zweipolig's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daishichi View Post
I posted this shortly after EoT was announced, as a prediction of how Activision / Beenox were going to muff the rollout (again). Sure enough, six months later there aren't many people talking about this game.

No review at IGN, nothing at the Game Informer website...the only week-of-release press I've seen has been a launch trailer (if you go looking for it) and a tacked-on mention at the end of commercials for X-Men Destiny (a far inferior game).

10/06 EDIT: I've seen two 15-second commercials for EoT on Comedy Central this past hour; now they tack on a mention of the X-Men game at the end. Not exactly a great showcase, but at least it lets people know the game exists.

I think Beenox has to think about throwing a Demo out there for future releases. People look for new demos all the time, regardless of whether they're anticipating the title, and most sites (like this one) have weekly summaries of what's new. I think EoT would have earned a lot of fans if folks saw the graphics and gameplay.

Agreed on the backwards thing: it would have been cool to introduce fans to 2099 and then later add Noir (I don't see much difference between Amazing and Ultimate). It's kind of like Alien 3: back to one alien? You guys were blowing away dozens of 'em in the last movie!
To be fair I only knew the release date 4 day prior to release, and that was due to your post in the Portal 2 thread. I knew this game was being released, as it was mentioned not long after Shattered Dimensions, but other than that I knew nothing about it. Sadly, even had I known I probably wouldn't have purchased it. As huge of a Spider-Man fan as I am, I haven't played SD in forever, and the last boss I got to was Sandman, because of motion sickness. I never vomited or anything, but there are few games that have ever made me sick, and this one did so multiple times. I plan to beat it someday, but who knows when. I would imagine EoT suffers from the same issues.

Anyways, like you said marketing for this game is deplorable. I would imagine they are losing money because of the lack of advertisement, thus not making very many sales.

I hate people... But don't worry, if you are reading this it likely means I don't hate you. Why? People can't read.

13ip0lar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #9
Bajan Elite
Banned User

Bajan Elite's Gamercard
Yea it sucks that the marketing was lousy but in the end I'm not bothered by it anymore since this game ended up being a disappointment. It started off strong with the first Act but then it just lost its luster and got real repetitive, combat and mission objectives wise. Good story though.
Bajan Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
cutchinz

cutchin43's Gamercard
Agreed, marketing was terrible, I'm a Spidey fan if there ever was one and I only found out about this a while back, in a Gameinformer preview I believe. However, they have been advertising it on television along with X-Men Destiny, so I guess that counts for something. It's a shame because I highly doubt that reviews and sales will be good enough for them to be able to make a third one.