Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Portal 2
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #1
Frankie Godskin

Frankie Godskin's Gamercard
Lightbulb Professor Portal Online achievement

Professor Portal 75
After completing co-op, complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasn’t played before

"Calibration Course" is the first co-op tutorial level. That means getting this achievement requires three players:
  1. Player 1: You, who are getting the achievement. You play the entire co-op game with Player 2.
  2. Player 2: Your friend who plays the entire game co-op with you.
  3. Player 3: Your friend who did not play the game co-op until you were finished. The day you're done, you ask Player 3 to join your co-op game. This match must be online, not split-screen. You host a match on the calibration course, and when you're done, the Professor Portal achievement pops.
So for this achievement, you need help from 2 others, and one of them has to be patient enough that they'll wait for you to finish co-op before THEY start co-op. Also, neither of them get the achievement using the model I described, meaning a fourth player would have to join Player 2 for them to get the achievement. It's like a really annoying pyramid scheme.

The alternative solution is substituting Player 3 in the above example with a dummy Gold account. If you and Player 2 both have dummy accounts, you can get each other the achievement with only 2 people.

Either way, it's a bit of work, requiring either 3 people or dummy accounts. A surprisingly dumb achievement from the people who brought us The Orange Box, which IMO is the best achievement list ever created.

Please use this thread either to offer your online cherry to others so they can get the achievement or to look for players whose online cherry you can pop.

REMEMBER: Both the player getting the achievement and the person who has never played before MUST BE ON EACH OTHER'S FRIENDS LIST BEFORE STARTING THE GAME.

Last edited by Frankie Godskin; 07-07-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added "Friends List" reminder
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
nayR2012

nayr2012's Gamercard
I'd be willing to create a dummy gold account if someone did the same for me.. only takes a few minutes to set up and should be easy to trade. I wouldn't worry about this achievement too much. I think we'll be able to play at our own pace and when people are ready find someone to trade with.

In case anyone doesn't know.. you get a free month gold for each new gamertag with a unique email address.
if only I had time to kill.

Last edited by nayR2012; 02-27-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Wow, the only sensible way to do this is with a created account. It says "hasnt played before" does that mean Portal at all or just Co-op?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Let's hope you can backup, then delete your savefile to boost this achievement!
I'd be happy to add my name to an 'achievement trading thread' once this game is out and we're all happy about how to unlock the achievement. I've got a couple of HDs and MCs for such a purpose! I have 4 TF2 savefiles, each with 500hrs of PYRO data on them!

I'll be playing PORTAL2 24/7 anyway, so helping our little community out will be a bonus!

Last edited by tastefulmrship; 02-27-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: I kinda fecked up a bit! See the post below for how much I fecked up!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastefulmrship View Post
I'm happy to add my name to an 'achievement trading thread' once this game is out and we're all happy about how to unlock the achievement. I'll be playing this 24/7 anyway, so helping our little community out will be a bonus!
Oh for sure, this'll be the first time since joining this site that I can actually use it.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
Midget Mafia

Drumavarium's Gamercard
I will definately be up to doing this when the game comes out. I'm pretty sure I have about 5 dummy accounts.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Yeah, the boosting threads will be overflowing when this game comes out. I feel like playing with randoms in this game is a very bad idea
Old 02-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
MopFlop

MopFlop's Gamercard

Awards Showcase NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again
um what about a normal account on splitscreen? i know it says online but could this be one of those achievements where you just have to be logged in to xbox to get it?

however this achievement is quite stupid. Its going to be a pain to find someone who hasnt played it before
Old 02-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Achievement Trading Thread Cup will runneth over

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBmaster9345 View Post
Yeah, the boosting threads will be overflowing when this game comes out. I feel like playing with randoms in this game is a very bad idea
Had to LOL! at this one, too true, but I'm going to try to convince one of my normal team mates to get the game so we're familiar with each others idiosyncrasies.

May have to buy Bulletstorm to play with him co-op as part of the deal, darn....rubber arm... being ...twisted...ow.

"Hit it"
Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MopFlop View Post
um what about a normal account on splitscreen? i know it says online but could this be one of those achievements where you just have to be logged in to xbox to get it?

however this achievement is quite stupid. Its going to be a pain to find someone who hasnt played it before

I'm gonna coin this term first. The hunt for "Portal virgins" begins!!! Eh? Whadda think?

Last edited by RBmaster9345; 03-02-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
bigbear2face

bigbear2face's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MopFlop View Post
I would agree that it is annoying but it is definitely not stupid. In fact it is quite ingenious. They are trying to increase their sales and expose more people to the game by taking advantage of us achievement whores and making us try to get friends who otherwise wouldn't play the game to play.

Alea Iacta Est
MAL

Awesome pic provided by Dirty130
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
batboy

BATB0Y1983's Gamercard
Quote:
I'm gonna coin this term first. The hunt for "Portal virgins" beings!!! Eh? Whadda think?
There is the new meme. Its no longer "The cake is a lie" but "the hunt for portal virgins".
Old 03-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy View Post
There is the new meme. Its no longer "The cake is a lie" but "the hunt for portal virgins".
Just make sure everyone knows it was my idea. I demand a nickel every time someone uses the phrase.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
Opiate42

Location: Canada, likely stuck in a snowdrift...with no shovel

Opiate42's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Rajeanero   Community Gaming - Silver   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Submit - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - DEG23   Over Achiever - Bronze   5,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
I demand a nickel every time someone uses the phrase.
Well now no one will use it if you're going to be billing. As for me I only have 4 coppers to my name sorry .

"Hit it"
Old 03-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
strawberry

Da 2pacalypse's Gamercard
no you spelt "begins" wrong (you said "beings"). so anything you claim from this point on will be considered void
Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #16
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
no you spelt "begins" wrong (you said "beings"). so anything you claim from this point on will be considered void
Thanks, its fixed now. Copyright still stands
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 AM   #17
Dr Popodopolus

Dr Popodopolus's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
I personally believe the sentence "complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasnít played before" is referring to somebody who hasn't played the Calibration Course specific. Not the co-op itself. So therefore you can do it with two of you. But we will see.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:56 AM   #18
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Popodopolus View Post
I personally believe the sentence "complete Calibration Course online with a friend who hasnít played before" is referring to somebody who hasn't played the Calibration Course specific. Not the co-op itself. So therefore you can do it with two of you. But we will see.

God I hope so. I'd assume it was someone who hasnt played Co-op before. But we'll see
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #19
EMP

MaGiC MaN TJ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Quote:
God I hope so. I'd assume it was someone who hasnt played Co-op before. But we'll see
Yea I think it's just someone who hasn't played co-op.

→The Xbox One is freakin Awesome ←
All generalizations are false, including this one.
~ Xbox One | Day One ~
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #20
Gor1lla

gor1lla the one's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayR2012 View Post
In case anyone doesn't know.. you get a free month gold for each new gamertag with a unique email address.
Wrong, it's true that you can get a free month when creating a new GT on your console, BUT this is limited to 3 months per Xbox

Third in Germany to 1000 Batman: AA
First in Germany to 1000 Batman: AC
Old 03-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gor1lla View Post
Wrong, it's true that you can get a free month when creating a new GT on your console, BUT this is limited to 3 months per Xbox
Well then it's a good thing I havent used any yet.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #22
Frankie Godskin

Frankie Godskin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Popodopolus View Post
I disagree. The "Professor" title in the achievement, along with the tile picture of a professor teaching, indicates someone with experience teaching someone with no experience. Also, if "Calibration Course" is the first level of the co-op chapter, there's no way around it.

As you said, we will see. Since none of us have played yet, we're just speculating, so who knows?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
MC Something

MrSnakePlisskin's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Godskin View Post
I disagree. The "Professor" title in the achievement, along with the tile picture of a professor teaching, indicates someone with experience teaching someone with no experience. Also, if "Calibration Course" is the first level of the co-op chapter, there's no way around it.

As you said, we will see. Since none of us have played yet, we're just speculating, so who knows?
I'd have to agree. If it was a separate course that could be skipped, co-op partners would just do it AFTER completing the co-op campaign. That's too easy and definitely not worth 75G.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #24
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

It's most certaintly the first course of the co-op map set. God I hope it's just people who havent played only co-op though. Just introduced my roommate for next year to Portal and now he cant get enough. I showed him all the latest vids and now he cant wait. Maybe I can beat it before him for a very conveniently timed chievo
Old 03-15-2011, 12:58 AM   #25
IceStormDragoon

IceStormDragoon's Gamercard
This whole thing just sounds really painful to grab. Seems like there'll be a whole lot of accounts spawned just to get it, then abandoned. Maybe they'll include some 48 hour cards with the game??
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #26
Seasick Pirate

Seasick Pirate's Gamercard
Quote:
It says "hasnt played before" does that mean Portal at all or just Co-op?
I choose to believe this requires someone who has never played a video game at all. You will need someone with a unique serial number on their console as that is what they'll be using to check authenticity.

So, if your pal plans on buying a used or refurbished console for this one, you can forget using them for this achievement!

Last edited by Seasick Pirate; 03-30-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM   #27
tastefulmrship

Sarone T C's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seasick Pirate View Post
I choose to believe this requires someone who has never played a video game at all. You will need someone with a unique serial number on their console as that is what they'll be using to check authenticity.

If your pal plans on buying a used or refurbished console for this one, you can forget to use them for this achievement!
And that's how you perfect written sarcasm, kids! Brilliant!
Old 03-24-2011, 09:00 PM   #28
Cry5741ized

Cry5741ized's Gamercard
You guys realize that this doesn't say your partner need gold or I has to be online right? You could probably just make an account in 2 minutes and play through it. Duh guys >.>
Old 03-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #29
RBmaster9345

RBmaster9345's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cry5741ized View Post
You guys realize that this doesn't say your partner need gold or I has to be online right? You could probably just make an account in 2 minutes and play through it. Duh guys >.>
Yeah, we know. We'd like to not have to do that though. Such a waste.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #30
Cry5741ized

Cry5741ized's Gamercard
I'm A dumbass. It needs to be online -.-'
Closed Thread