PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox One Games > Fighting > Killer Instinct
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   1,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
This game will be freemium

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...ne-launch-game

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN
Killer Instinct is a day-one digital-only release on Xbox One, and features -- get this -- one character. Jago is free to play on launch day. Everyone else -- unspecified returning characters as well as original fighters -- will cost money. Price is to-be-determined (of course).

Is this the start of a new trend? With Xbox Live Arcade vanishing into the greater Games Marketplace, perhaps free-to-play is the new trial version, and you'll nickel and dime your way to a more complete version. Hopefully trials of some sort will still mandated so players can try out everything as it hits Xbox Live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloistProdigy View Post
There's been a lot of confusion to this game being a day one free to play game with only one character then having to pay for the rest.

Thankfully that's all been cleared up now, the game will launch as a full retail game with every character in it and also as free to play demo with Jago.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/11/kill...ree-character/

“You’re acting like a little girl lately. And not in a good way.” - Henry Winkler

Last edited by mcnichoj; 06-13-2013 at 02:54 PM.
mcnichoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Scrappylive

Scrappylive's Gamercard
Ugghhh... I knew it was too good to be true. Well, I won't be buying an Xbox One anyways, so at least I won't feel like I'm missing out on anything!!

100% (Arcade)
20 games
Scrappylive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
I mak3 big boom

Pound My Rumpus's Gamercard
Lol this is being made by the fine chaps who made unique titles such as Battleship, GI Joe and Silent Hill Homecoming.

I'm betting it'll suck.
Latest 100%: Bioshock Infinite
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
"Every alternative is preferable"
I mak3 big boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Ceris
~Kairi's Student~

Tragic Melody's Gamercard

Awards Showcase The Mighty Duck Face   Staff - Guide Team   CABS Beta Tester   Community Gaming - Bronze   Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   XBA Promoter   Staff Club - Ceris   Over Achiever - Bronze   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I mak3 big boom View Post
Lol this is being made by the fine chaps who made unique titles such as Battleship, GI Joe and Silent Hill Homecoming.

I'm betting it'll suck.
Ouch. To be fair, they do like their combat!

I'm sensing free-to-play with a shit ton of micro-transactions. I'm a bigger fan of demos/trials and full game buying than limited free-to-play and micro-transactions, so I hope I'm wrong...

Helping Hand Award Nominations || Please disable your ad blocker for XBA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
An ad blocker prevents the ad from loading in the first place, and the counter is on the ad's side, not the site's. As such, an ad blocker stops the increment from going up and no revenue is generated as a result of your page views.
Ceris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
iBuzz7S

Awards Showcase 5,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze   Donator - Level 2
Ah, thanks for raping my childhood, Microsoft. You are slowly creeping past Hollywood!

Quote:
The producer on the game at Microsoft Studios told Eurogamer at an event at E3 last night that the company decided to use this release strategy because when it comes to fighting games, most players only focus on a handful of characters.

"It's really impressive to have a roster of 50 characters, but how many of those characters am I really going to play?" the producer said. "And I have to buy a $60 game in order to play those one or two characters I want to play.

"Fighting games are big and expensive and they can be complicated. It's very hard to get good at a number of characters. You generally gravitate towards one or two or three or four at the most.

"We want players to be able to experience the game that way. Just buy the characters you want or buy them all and we'll give you a discount on that."

The producer said Microsoft hadn't decided how many characters would eventually be made available, but did confirm plans to release them over time, establishing a regular cadence to "keep people coming back and engaged".
What a poor fucking excuse. They imply that because I only use a Mazda in Forza games, only one manufacturer should be available and all others should be purchasable.

Fucking idiots!

Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...business-model

iBuzz7S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
Aceman417
Subscribing Member

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Gold   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBuzz7S View Post
Ah, thanks for raping my childhood, Microsoft. You are slowly creeping past Hollywood!

What a poor fucking excuse. They imply that because I only use a Mazda in Forza games, only one manufacturer should be available and all others should be purchasable.

Fucking idiots!

It makes complete sense. I don't see your problem.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
ZombieFan

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:

Fucking idiots!

LOL so let me get this straight, because we will most likely use one character you limit us to a character which YOU feel we will use. Would've been a better plan if it wasn't just ONE character! It's going to be so fun fighting Jargo with Jargo, come on man.
ZombieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
DJConnelly

Send a message via MSN to DJConnelly Send a message via Skype™ to DJConnelly

DJConnelly's Gamercard

Quote:
"It's really impressive to have a roster of 50 characters, but how many of those characters am I really going to play?" the producer said. "And I have to buy a $60 game in order to play those one or two characters I want to play.

"Fighting games are big and expensive and they can be complicated. It's very hard to get good at a number of characters. You generally gravitate towards one or two or three or four at the most.

"We want players to be able to experience the game that way. Just buy the characters you want or buy them all and we'll give you a discount on that."

The producer said Microsoft hadn't decided how many characters would eventually be made available, but did confirm plans to release them over time, establishing a regular cadence to "keep people coming back and engaged".
It's not a terrible idea. But it's not a good one either. Especially since the words free-to-play were being thrown around. Depends on the prices involved. You will focus on 2 or 3 to start with but eventually you're going to want to play more. I assume we'd have a trial run of said characters. Watching a video to find out If I'll like someone isn't really gonna work. I need to actually play with the character. Wonder what sort of discount it'll be for buying them all in one go. I would really rather just be able to you know. Buy the game. Normally. With a full roster...

Last edited by DJConnelly; 06-11-2013 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
DJConnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
cutterk73

cutterk73's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman417 View Post
It makes complete sense. I don't see your problem.
of course you dont..

cutterk73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
FrozenRaptorz
Banned User

FrozenRaptorz's Gamercard
It sounded way to good and exciting to be true. Hopefully this isn't the new trend of things to come.
FrozenRaptorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #11
Lava Tonsil

andydubyew's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Staff Club - AOS Puck   Submit - Bronze   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Community Gaming - Bronze   Donator - Level 1   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
That's a massive clanger by the producer.
So now in order to learn i don't like a character i will have to pay to find out? If any character is overpowered or easy to spam (which happens in most fighting games) then expect to play nobody else online.
Terrible idea and even worse logic to explain the decision.
Lava Tonsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Kunduz

Herr Karamell's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
urgh! Why are they doing this?
Kunduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
Aceman417
Subscribing Member

Aceman417's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Subscriber - Gold   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Bronze   XBA Promoter   Donator - Level 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterk73 View Post
of course you dont..
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
You can still buy all the characters, or if you want one or two you can buy them. It is personal preference.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Xbox One Maximum Clubs Novice   1,000 Posts   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
I don't see much of a problem with this although this isn't a solution for every game.

Lets say they only release 13 characters at launch and they're $5 (assuming it costs that) each? That's $60 if you buy them each separately or even cheaper if you buy the bundle (which I knew they would do).
Aside from that you get the full game minus the characters from the get go and if you want you can try out one character per week on the cheap.

About the dev, Homecoming was decent and Front Mission was okay I've heard.

“You’re acting like a little girl lately. And not in a good way.” - Henry Winkler

Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #15
Gackt
Banned User

Awards Showcase Staff Club - Gackt   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Arcade Crazy - Bronze   Over Achiever - Gold   SOTF Winner   GSL 8 Winners   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1   Submit - Bronze   Artist of the Month   Call of Duty 4 Subscribers Tourn. - Second Place
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieFan View Post
LOL so let me get this straight, because we will most likely use one character you limit us to a character which YOU feel we will use. Would've been a better plan if it wasn't just ONE character! It's going to be so fun fighting Jargo with Jargo, come on man.
Why do you keep calling Jago, Jargo?
Gackt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #16
iBuzz7S

While we're bashing Microsoft for killing Killer Instinct before anyone even gets to play it on their consoles in November...

Quote:
Available in limited quantities at select retailers while supplies last. Includes Shadow Jago character for Killer Instinct (CTC), for use only with Xbox One; both expected to be released in November 2013. Additional Killer Instinct characters sold separately; requires 4 GB storage, for download only on Xbox One. Shadow Jago available exclusively with Day One 12-month Xbox Live Gold until February 1, 2014; may be available elsewhere later.
Exclusive content. /facepalm

http://www.xbox.com/en-AU/xbox-one/p...one/disclaimer

Old 06-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #17
Felonious Monk

HopeStillFlies's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman417 View Post
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
You can still buy all the characters, or if you want one or two you can buy them. It is personal preference.
We'll see what you have to say to it if you invest in it and then never get to fight any other character online besides Jago.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #18
iBuzz7S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Monk View Post
We'll see what you have to say to it if you invest in it and then never get to fight any other character online besides Jago.
He'll be okay with that too, because you know, #dealwithit.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 AM   #19
Felonious Monk

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Gamer Chick!   1,000 Posts   Over Achiever - Silver
Quote:
He'll be okay with that too, because you know, #dealwithit.
heh

Even if I sunk $60 into the freemium content of a title, I'd expect a little variety. Fighting the same opponent over and over gets boring. Anyone that doesn't believe me, just go play SFIITurboHDRemix on Ranked. Ryu, Ryu, Ryu, Ryu

I back out and don't touch it again for a few months.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
iBuzz7S

Quote:
heh

Even if I sunk $60 into the freemium content of a title, I'd expect a little variety.
Dudette, get with the program!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...3&postcount=16

YOU GET TO PLAY AS OR AGAINST SHADOW JAGO! TWO CHARACTERS ARE BETTER THAN ONE!

Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #21
Felonious Monk

Quote:
Dudette, get with the program!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...3&postcount=16

YOU GET TO PLAY AS OR AGAINST SHADOW JAGO! TWO CHARACTERS ARE BETTER THAN ONE!
oh fffffff

YOU'RE TOTALLY RIGHT
WHEN I ADDED DARK SPYRO TO MY SKYLANDERS PLAYTHROUGHS IT MADE IT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE

ALL HAIL SHADOW
Old 06-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #22
mcnichoj

mcnichoj's Gamercard

Quote:
heh

Even if I sunk $60 into the freemium content of a title, I'd expect a little variety. Fighting the same opponent over and over gets boring. Anyone that doesn't believe me, just go play SFIITurboHDRemix on Ranked. Ryu, Ryu, Ryu, Ryu

I back out and don't touch it again for a few months.
That's just a problem with fighting games in general.
In all the Street Fighters where you do have actual rosters from the start all you see online is as you said Ryu, Ryu, Ryu, Ken, Ryu, Ken, Sagat, insert wildcard, Ryu, Akuma, Ken, Ryu...
I see no difference from Jago, Jago, Jago, Orchid, Jago, Cinder, Orchid, Jago, Jago, Fulgore, Jago, Cinder, Sabrewulf, Jago, Orchid, Jago...
The free users will die out quickly and the good/scrubby players will buy the best characters/whoever they like.

It's actually cool because devs can't really get good results of who is using what characters but in this case they can see which characters are getting bought. No one buying Thunder? About time he gets a buff.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #23
ZombieFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gackt View Post
Why do you keep calling Jago, Jargo?
Because I am a retard
ZombieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #24
Aceman417
Subscribing Member

Aceman417's Gamercard

Wouldn't be that hard to find a character better than Jago and purchase them.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
MUZE

BluePowerRanger's Gamercard
Its going to interesting to see how many achievements are tied to specific characters now, if there isnt much then effectively you will be spending alot less than full retail price if it doesnt bother you that much that all the chars arent available (which I dont mind)
MUZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #26
Aceman417
Subscribing Member

Aceman417's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUZE View Post
Its going to interesting to see how many achievements are tied to specific characters now, if there isnt much then effectively you will be spending alot less than full retail price if it doesnt bother you that much that all the chars arent available (which I dont mind)
I didn't even think of that... To get all of the achievements you would need to purchase all characters. Betting a couple are based on how many characters you have.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #27
xXmyxxmastaXx

xXmyxxmastaXx's Gamercard

What if NRS did this with MK, Scorpion only, want sub zero? 3 dollars please.
but this seems like something that Capcom would do heres Ryu want mega man? 4 bucks please.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #28
iBuzz7S

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXmyxxmastaXx View Post
Capcom
Yeah, they wouldn't be able to put them all on the disc and have you pay a price to simply unlock them because there is no disc for the game. In fact, they would of loved it more since it is downloadable, the profit would be bigger.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 AM   #29
Felonious Monk

Quote:
Yeah, they wouldn't be able to put them all on the disc and have you pay a price to simply unlock them because there is no disc for the game. In fact, they would of loved it more since it is downloadable, the profit would be bigger.
it wouldn't matter because in 3 months there'll be an "ultimate edition" anyway
Old 06-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
SoloistProdigy

SoloistProdigy's Gamercard
There's been a lot of confusion to this game being a day one free to play game with only one character then having to pay for the rest.

Thankfully that's all been cleared up now, the game will launch as a full retail game with every character in it and also as free to play demo with Jago.

http://shoryuken.com/2013/06/11/kill...ree-character/

Xbox Gamercards
SoloistProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote