PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 LIVE Arcade Games > Card and Board > Risk: Factions
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #1
Rifle Elite

Turbulus NL's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
This game is systematically broken

Broken. Thats quite a big accusement to make about a game. Yet there isnt anything else to conclude after playing 30 multiplayer matches, in 3 days. We all know that Risk isnt just about strategy, wether you win or lose heavily depends on the outcome of a factor called luck. Even the best Risk player in the universe could lose if he happened to throw 1s and 2s the entire game.

But thats not what this post is about. The randomness of dices is something that can cause some very rare situations. The rariness of these situations is what this post is about. Let's take a look at the mathematical part of Risk.
* Throwing two 6s is a 1 in 36 happening.
* If the attacker and defender both throw one die, the attacker has a 41,7% chance to ''win''. 58,3% of the time the outcome will be positive for the defender.
*The odds of an Attacking army of 2, beating a Defensive army of 1 are 80+%
*The odds of a Defensive army, beating an Attacking Army of 5, are almost zero (hundreds of a percent)

This all makes sense, right? Just some basic Mathematics. In-game however, these percentiles means next to nothing. Yesterday, I had a situation where I lost a 12 (attacker) to 1 (defender) (!) battle, without the defender having a defense die or airfield. The odds of this outcome are....well, less than one in a million. In real-life, this would have required someone to throw higher than 3 dices, with one die, 10 times in a row. Go try it yourself for a couple of minutes. You will find out that even doing that three times in a row will be difficult.

Ok cool story bro, you had a one in a lifetime happening. However, this isnt exactly the case. Far too many times have I seen 5+ vs 1 battles result in a failure. This doesnt happen once every 200 turns, or once every 100 turns, it happens very frequently. Do you ever attack a territory that has 1 troop, with a territory of yours that only have 2 troops (resulting in a 1v1 battle)? If you dont, then keep it like that. The odds show that the attacker still should win 4 out of 10 times....Yet in-game, these odds again mean nothing. Rarily will a 1v1 battle result in a victory for the attacker. I've literally seen people losing 8 1v1 battles in a row, before ragequitting (something which I can very well understand)

The game IS broken, but why? I found out that these weird outcomes happen far more frequently when selecting ''quick fight'' than when you actually see the dices being thrown. The reason why one way of fighting would be more fair than the other, is unclear to me, but the amount of weird outcomes in the quick fights is unbelievable.

Another thing that is ''broken'' in the game, is the very weird distribution of draft bonus among continents. The classic map is fine, obviously. But there are some very weird maps, such as Tweety. This is the map with the Dam in the bottem corner, a large continent on the east side called Warpaw, and another large continent on the north side called Next Gen Bay. Next Gen Bay is a continent with 10 territories, yet it only gives you a 1 draft bonus. In the far west of the map, there is a small continent that only haves 4 territories, with only one territory adjacent to another continent, making this very similar to Australia. This continent gives a 3 draft bonus (!) Imagine that on the classic board, controlling Asia would give you a 2 draft bonus, while controlling Australia gives you a 7 draft bonus. Makes no sense right?

Last edited by Rifle Elite; 05-06-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Rifle Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
xliferuinerx

xliferuinerx13's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifle Elite View Post
Broken. Thats quite a big accusement to make about a game. Yet there isnt anything else to conclude after playing 30 multiplayer matches, in 3 days. We all know that Risk isnt just about strategy, wether you win or lose heavily depends on the outcome of a factor called luck. Even the best Risk player in the universe could lose if he happened to throw 1s and 2s the entire game.

But thats not what this post is about. The randomness of dices is something that can cause some very rare situations. The rariness of these situations is what this post is about. Let's take a look at the mathematical part of Risk.
* Throwing two 6s is a 1 in 36 happening.
* If the attacker and defender both throw one die, the attacker has a 41,7% chance to ''win''. 58,3% of the time the outcome will be positive for the defender.
*The odds of an Attacking army of 2, beating a Defensive army of 1 are 80+%
*The odds of a Defensive army, beating an Attacking Army of 5, are almost zero (hundreds of a percent)

This all makes sense, right? Just some basic Mathematics. In-game however, these percentiles means next to nothing. Yesterday, I had a situation where I lost a 12 (attacker) to 1 (defender) (!) battle, without the defender having a defense die or airfield. The odds of this outcome are....well, less than one in a million. In real-life, this would have required someone to throw higher than 3 dices, with one die, 10 times in a row. Go try it yourself for a couple of minutes. You will find out that even doing that three times in a row will be difficult.

Ok cool story bro, you had a one in a lifetime happening. However, this isnt exactly the case. Far too many times have I seen 5+ vs 1 battles result in a failure. This doesnt happen once every 200 turns, or once every 100 turns, it happens very frequently. Do you ever attack a territory that has 1 troop, with a territory of yours that only have 2 troops (resulting in a 1v1 battle)? If you dont, then keep it like that. The odds show that the attacker still should win 4 out of 10 times....Yet in-game, these odds again mean nothing. Rarily will a 1v1 battle result in a victory for the attacker. I've literally seen people losing 8 1v1 battles in a row, before ragequitting (something which I can very well understand)

The game IS broken, but why? I found out that these weird outcomes happen far more frequently when selecting ''quick fight'' than when you actually see the dices being thrown. The reason why one way of fighting would be more fair than the other, is unclear to me, but the amount of weird outcomes in the quick fights is unbelievable.

Another thing that is ''broken'' in the game, is the very weird distribution of draft bonus among continents. The classic map is fine, obviously. But there are some very weird maps, such as Tweety. This is the map with the Dam in the bottem corner, a large continent on the east side called Warpaw, and another large continent on the north side called Next Gen Bay. Next Gen Bay is a continent with 10 territories, yet it only gives you a 1 draft bonus. In the far west of the map, there is a small continent that only haves 4 territories, with only one territory adjacent to another continent, making this very similar to Australia. This continent gives a 3 draft bonus (!) Imagine that on the classic board, controlling Asia would give you a 2 draft bonus, while controlling Australia gives you a 7 draft bonus. Makes no sense right?
I noticed that as well, but I still enjoy playing the game.

https://twitter.com/physical_addict I follow back
xliferuinerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #3
Furious M1

MH The Rockstar's Gamercard
You can't let it get to you otherwise you'll end up with broken controllers and popped blood vessels! However, it is true that this game is statistically inaccurate. There have been times when I go for a "1" territory with 5 of my own troops and an attack die and have failed - no airfield or defense die. It's probably why I like the vortex maps... get a hold on that baby and no fuss, no muss!

Furious M1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
Oddeh

Oddeh's Gamercard
Couple these stats with Rage Quitters and lazy-ass Dev's who won't commission an update, and hey presto, a fully broken unfun experience.
Oddeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
xxDAMRONxx

xxDAMRONxx's Gamercard
100% agree with you after playing it.

Whoever wrote the math for this game is a complete moron...ive never in my life seen someone with 1/2 dice repeatedly beat 3 dice the whole game in real life...its retarded...either your on the good side or bad...there is no neutral it seems
Old 11-29-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
OMGLOL1111

OMGLOL1111's Gamercard
did you take in consideration the defender die and the airport? it will change the maths you know?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
xxDAMRONxx

xxDAMRONxx's Gamercard
i hope your not trying to argue that the math isn't broken??

considered airports and defense die and attack die...but before those are handed out don't u see 1 defender out roll three dice multiple times (a near impossibility in reality)