PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Dragon Age 2
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
Joeplay201
Banned User

Angry Anyone feel like they ruined the romances?

I didn't really dig Isabelle just not my thing. I think she was actually a little more hot in the first game with the red hair and pale complexion. Merril was meh I didn't like her personality. I would have loved to romance that red hair girl Aveline

As for the others I felt they were just basically homosexual. And it was cheesy how they were making passes at you constantly. I was a good character by the way. Maybe that's why Anders was so friendly to me. I didn't mind that though..

Last edited by Joeplay201; 05-11-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Joeplay201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
RenownedJON1

Merill

Merill was my favourite character!!!
RenownedJON1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
KNUCKS x360a

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenownedJON1 View Post
Merill was my favourite character!!!
^Same here dude - She's great!

But OT I'd agree with you Joeplay, I definitely preferred the system they used in DA:O to DA2. It seemed way more limited this time, just like the game itself really...
KNUCKS x360a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
todd_pip33

NDN Omar's Gamercard
I've romanced them all and I'd say between them all, Fenris' was probably the one that felt the most "authentic." Even though Isabela was an incredibly well written character, her place as a romance was a bit hollow, considering she was so much more "open" with her sexuality. That's my two cents. I will say though that the romances do feel much more limited.

Secretly hoping to 100% my copy of Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, like it deserves to be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
todd_pip33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
PETER DRAGON

PETER DRAGON's Gamercard
Taming the "wild woman" was the challenge there, redheads smell funny, to me, Anders is a fag, but still Isabella is hot looking, to each his own. haven't tried anyone but Isabella, but have female character now so we'll see.
PETER DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
xD3ADLYS1NN3Rx

xD3ADLYS1NN3Rx's Gamercard
meril was hot
xD3ADLYS1NN3Rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
PETER DRAGON

PETER DRAGON's Gamercard
Pretty eyes, too skinny
PETER DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM   #8
MasochisticLamb

MasochisticLamb's Gamercard
I haven't fully completed the romance part of the story yet but I have to agree that it felt different and I'm not sure in a good way. They changed it from the first one and now it sort of feels a bit hollow but I'll see if that changes upon completion of the romance.
MasochisticLamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Shinkou79

Eruanna79's Gamercard
I've only romanced Fenris (screwed it up the first time by hooking up with Isabela and Merrill), next is Sebastian, but I really enjoyed the conversations with Fenris. I also liked how the interaction between the companions changed depending on whether I was successfully romancing him (2nd time) or not (1st time).
Shinkou79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
ViRaLuNdEaD

viralundead's Gamercard
I don't really think they ruined them, but they sure made them convoluted. You had to do things juuuust right to get them to click. I felt in the last game they were way easier to achieve.

ViRaLuNdEaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
WordBearer

ChaosGlory99's Gamercard
I agree they made them to easy in the first one however they did seem more genuine. I find Isabella to extremely hot. I think Merrill is great looking too. There is more of a real depth to them this time than in the first one. You see Isabella's freedom as an outgoing woman and Merrill's stumbling attempts at romance.

However I don't get how all the guys just seem homosexual. When I played my Awakening playthrough I was a female rouge and Anders was always hitting on me, now in DA2 he's gay. They seemed to have missed a step somewhere.
WordBearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
mark197205

mark197205's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordBearer View Post
I agree they made them to easy in the first one however they did seem more genuine. I find Isabella to extremely hot. I think Merrill is great looking too. There is more of a real depth to them this time than in the first one. You see Isabella's freedom as an outgoing woman and Merrill's stumbling attempts at romance.

However I don't get how all the guys just seem homosexual. When I played my Awakening playthrough I was a female rouge and Anders was always hitting on me, now in DA2 he's gay. They seemed to have missed a step somewhere.

Anders isnt gay in DA2, he's bisexual.

Games at 100% = 9 (8 retail, 1 XBLA)
Games being worked on = A few..
mark197205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
Pearson

Biomedical Fire's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
I romanced both Merrill and Isabella with my male and female Hawke characters. I found that the romances in DA: O were a bit more genuine than they were in DA 2. I really didn't have to make any effort at romancing Merrill, she was very easy to get into the sack.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
NotoriousPSC

NotoriousPSC's Gamercard
Merrill~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

I love Merrill, but the romances and game in general just felt rushed. I hope Laidlaw sincerely listens to the criticism of the game. (And makes significant changes so its closer to DAO)

NotoriousPSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #15
IDiivil

Send a message via AIM to IDiivil

idiivil's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
I was not a fan of the romances. I felt everyone but Varric was pretty much a whiny character...

Let's see, I could pick Anders. He bitches about templars all day long, and when he isn't bitching about templars, he has issues with Justice.

I could pick Fenris. He won't shut up about his slavery business, but maybe when we solve that, he'll shut up..! Oh, now you don't know how to make a life for yourself? Goddamnit, Fenris!

Okay, okay... maybe Isabela will - OH DAMN YOU, WOMAN (not going to elaborate to prevent spoilers)... you have crow's feet wrinkles on your eyes, anyways D:

Merril... eh, love your in game dialogue, baby, but anything story wise makes me want to slap the shit out of you.

Sebastian... probably the best out of the lot, but the weird accent and the love with the Maker business is a bit of a turn off. Not to mention YOU'RE CHASTE. WHYYYY?!

</End Sillyness>

Really, I have no real /problem/ with any of the choices, but I felt they were all mediocre at best.

Like my avatar? If so, you can see more of my modeling work at http://www.facebook.com/idiivil
IDiivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:27 AM   #16
firesilk

Toxic StormX's Gamercard
Agreed...I think overall i liked the first dragon age better >.> even alistair was a bit....weird lol
firesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
firesilk

Toxic StormX's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by firesilk View Post
Agreed...I think overall i liked the first dragon age better >.> even alistair was a bit....weird lol
*even though

cause cmon...if you ever tried to kiss him with morrigan in your party...it was just funny...
firesilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #18
Odessa

xXOdessaXx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 1   Gamer Chick!
I agree about the ruining of romances as well as the general conversation. Hopping from home to home in hopes that they will even talk is very annoying. No cut scenes, etc... Its as if they took the best part and chopped it in half. I keep hoping as I get more into the game it will get better (just starting the second act).

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDiivil View Post
I was not a fan of the romances. I felt everyone but Varric was pretty much a whiny character...

Let's see, I could pick Anders. He bitches about templars all day long, and when he isn't bitching about templars, he has issues with Justice.

I could pick Fenris. He won't shut up about his slavery business, but maybe when we solve that, he'll shut up..! Oh, now you don't know how to make a life for yourself? Goddamnit, Fenris!

Okay, okay... maybe Isabela will - OH DAMN YOU, WOMAN (not going to elaborate to prevent spoilers)... you have crow's feet wrinkles on your eyes, anyways D:

Merril... eh, love your in game dialogue, baby, but anything story wise makes me want to slap the shit out of you.

Sebastian... probably the best out of the lot, but the weird accent and the love with the Maker business is a bit of a turn off. Not to mention YOU'RE CHASTE. WHYYYY?!

</End Sillyness>

Really, I have no real /problem/ with any of the choices, but I felt they were all mediocre at best.
Thank you so much for this. You were spot on too. I was wondering who I would even try for and your descriptions helped.

Odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
Kamikaze Tigger

Kamikaze Tigger's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER DRAGON View Post
Pretty eyes, too skinny
HAHAHAHA. Totally agree.
Kamikaze Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 AM   #20
FSparacino4

im boomheadshot's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
To be honest, I never got that attached with the characters in DA II to care about the romances. I just romanced the first character I completed the 100% relationship quest for (Merrill) just for the achievement points.
FSparacino4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
madhatter1

Orion M42X's Gamercard
I'm playing a male character. I found it weird, unrealistic, and annoying that every male character had homosexual leanings.
madhatter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:10 AM   #22
bakeryfreshgame

bakeryfreshgame's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I don't think everyone is supposed to have homosexual leanings, I took it as Hawke is so undeniably attractive (both looks and personality, though male Hawke not so much with the looks) that everyone wants to do him/her regardless of sex or orientation.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #23
shudderWINGS

shudderWINGS's Gamercard
In terms of just availability, the characters were extremely limited from a male perspective. As the male Hawke, I was REALLY hoping that you could dig something with Aveline -- just because she was with you since the beginning.

I steered clear of Merrill and I would say that it was more "authentic" with Isabella, but that's only because there wasn't much choice.

In DA:O, you could pretty much romance anyone as long as it wasn't Wynne (which I tried to do anyway to see if it worked).

shudderWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
Its Effing Dan

SimulatedSmile's Gamercard
I was playing without a guide, and I think my romance with Anders was more accidental than anything else. I pretty much flirt with anything with two legs in the game, regardless of gender. Somehow I guess the game was trying to tell me Anders was easy or something. I wish they'd have brought back his cat, though.
Its Effing Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #25
Theratis

theratis's Gamercard
I had a romance with Anders, only character that I like enough for it. The romancing in the game felt really unnatural and just goofy. You hit the flirt option twice and make some remarks about *wanting* to be on the road with a hunted mage, and all of a sudden he starts calling you "my love". I know there's supposed to be several years in between acts, but gameplay time it's nothing but a few hours and it feels very odd.

Isabella as well felt like a very unnaturally written character, with her constant totally out of place sexual remarks.

Merril is just awkward, her entire character honestly doesn't make a bit of sense to me. She's supposed to be the young and innocent type, yet she uses blood magic and talks to demons. At no point does this get fleshed out, making her a clueless and easily influenced girl that someone manages not to fall to the demons that have claimed even the most powerful mages you encounter.

Fenris is unromancable to me as I can't stand how he mentions his hatred towards magisters and anything mage-related. Another extreme that makes no sense because it goes too far.

Then there's Sebastian which is *yet again* a very extreme character in that it's always Chantry this and The Maker that.

It's like they just had stereotypes in mind and developed characters around it.
So yeah, I thought the romancing was rather ruined. I didn't even realize I was in a romance until he suddenly started spouting stuff like "I love you" just because I completed his quests and made 1 sarcastic remark.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #26
Wicked Numb

Wikid Numb's Gamercard
While I do agree, the romance options in this did seem rather lacking when compared to DA:O, they felt shallow, and maybe generic in and of itself. I just finished my first runthrough, (romance with Izzy), and after reading everything and the dialog options in game...I would say that romances were an "oops, we forgot those" last minute addition to the game.

I am just glad we do not have to romance them all for an achievement like DA:O....
Wicked Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:19 PM   #27
The Big Badd

the big badd's Gamercard
None of the girls were good looking other than the whore. Your sister was hot, but you couldn't bed her obviously
The Big Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:16 PM   #28
jules the great

Send a message via AIM to jules the great

OldSchoolJules's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Badd View Post
None of the girls were good looking other than the whore. Your sister was hot, but you couldn't bed her obviously
I suppose you could but then again this isnt Dragon Age: Origins of Incest
Old 08-23-2011, 01:39 AM   #29
Defcizion

DeFCiZiOn's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Referrals - Bronze   Submit - Bronze
I'll be honest and say I felt like a legit connection with the characters in Dragon Age, and how you romanced them. This game, it was basically just a chore though.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:45 AM   #30
Maiyku

maiyku's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Badd View Post
^This. The best looking character was your brother/sister. Go figure -.-

Arcade 100% - Plants vs. Zombies, Minecraft

Currently Playing: Dead Space 3, Far Cry 3, Sleeping Dogs
Maiyku is offline   Reply With Quote