Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Lost Odyssey
Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Temp33t

Temp33t's Gamercard
How Good is this Game?

I just wanted to know how good this game is compared to other RPG'S like FF XIII or Star Ocean.
I really love to play JRPG's and I'm about to start this one aswell soon.

Is the Story worth it? Are there enough sidequests after completing the game, so i can spend weeks on this one?
Is it just like other JRPG's or is quite different(Battle style, quests, etc.)?

I watched some gameplay vids but I still want to have some opinions of people who actually played it.
Temp33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Method

Method x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Micro Guide - Bronze   x360a Representer   Road Map - Emerald   PAX Meet 2010   Achievement Guide - Bronze   NBA Live 07 - 1000 People Online...Again   Submit - Gold   1,000 Posts   Member of the Month   A+ Thread Award   Bright Idea   Word of Mouth
Total Awards: 13 (more» ...)
It's still one of my favorite games for the 360. Great story, in depth turn based battle system and plenty of side quests. If you're going for the full 1000, the Treasure Trove achievement can take away some of the fun though.

Method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
Lymle

M3 Sami's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
This is one of my favorite games on the 360, and quite frankly in general.

The story is beautiful and moving, the side-quests are filling and satisfying, and the game should last you for quite a few days. The Treasure Trove achievement and the one for beating the final boss of the DLC are really the only two I think are bad at all.

Over all, I'd still pay $60 again to play this game, if something ever happened to my current copy.

Thanks to SetsunaFSeiei for an amazing sig and avatar ^^
Lymle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #4
slackice

slackice's Gamercard
It's one of my favorites. Tales Of Vesperia is my nr 1. The second place is shared by FFXIII and Lost Odyssey.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
ViRaLuNdEaD

viralundead's Gamercard
It's probably my favorite RPG for 360. It was one of the first games I played on my 360 and one of the few I haven't traded in. Definitely a great game.

ViRaLuNdEaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
AlanOC91

AlanOC91's Gamercard
One of the best games I have ever played. It is truely enjoyable. I got plenty of hours from this game.
It reminded me of FF10 and the likes.
I highly, highly recommend it.
AlanOC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
soliunasm

soliunasm's Gamercard
By far my favorite 360 exclusive. But you need to like the turn-based gameplay to really enjoy it. Dreams are wonderfully written, and the characters(Aside from Cooke and Mack) are great.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
O Captain My Captain

CoolieKr0n1c's Gamercard
Yeah, I would actually like to know how good this game is. I've seen gameplay and it honestly doesn't look that interesting (like FFVIII all over again), but thats one aspect. How about the story? Is the battle system not as bad as I think it is?

For reference: Top RPG's I've played on 360

Vesperia
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean 4
FFXIII
Old 05-21-2011, 01:44 AM   #9
Shad0wTroop3r

SoUL Last Hero's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain View Post
Yeah, I would actually like to know how good this game is. I've seen gameplay and it honestly doesn't look that interesting (like FFVIII all over again), but thats one aspect. How about the story? Is the battle system not as bad as I think it is?

For reference: Top RPG's I've played on 360

Vesperia
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean 4
FFXIII
I say its the second best rpg on 360 next to ToV
Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean, and FFXIII dont even come close to this game its a must buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty da stooge View Post
how do you make a game without a jump button these days!?! is his ponytail to heavy or something?
Shad0wTroop3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #10
Dark_Matter

The Lost Boy M3's Gamercard
This is my favourite JRPG out of all the JRPG's that I have played on 360
Dark_Matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
softkarma

softkarma's Gamercard
The game is great, there is the "old school" turn battle that is really great... Very close to FFVII, there's also an optional boss that is really difficult to kill.. but nothing compared to Ultima Weapons :P
softkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:17 AM   #12
B Gatts

Berserk Gattsu's Gamercard
For me personally, I find this game flat out below average. I'm up to the point of first getting to the Grand Staff, but from what I played so far it's at best a generic 6/10 game!

I loved the SNES/PSX jRPGs back in the day, but the PS2 & 360 ones are very hit or miss.

I'd recommend tradition jRPGs on the 360 like Enchanted Arms, FFXIII & Blue Dragon over this game.
B Gatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #13
Starlight126

Starlight126's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Enchanted Arms is all but a traditional jRPG. It's not even a JRPG, while Lost Odyssey is. Unless you care of the developers origins instead than the content when you speak of what a game is.
Then if you put FF XIII among the "good JRPGs" I wonder which is your experience to express such a highly disagreeable judgment. Not to mention you must have missed a lot, A LOT of great JRPG titles for the PS2.
I suggest you giving a shot at Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata, they are very good games (the former is the best role playing game on this console and the latter is a great one from the gameplay point of view). If you still prefer Enchanted Arms as "JRPG" (then again, it's a T-RPG and not "J") afterwards, I think there's nothing to do ;P
Lost Odyssey not only is the most traditional JRPG of the Xbox360, it's also one of the most complete, deep stories and strategical combat which never bores. Sure you ain't just getting frustrated by Treasure Trove or bosses too hard for you? Keep playing the game and you'll probably change your opinion at the end Till the Construction Base it is a bit slow, but it will fly then.

Last edited by Starlight126; 08-02-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Starlight126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #14
B Gatts

Berserk Gattsu's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight126 View Post
Enchanted Arms is all but a traditional jRPG. It's not even a JRPG, while Lost Odyssey is. Unless you care of the developers origins instead than the content when you speak of what a game is.
Well, Enchanted Arms was made by a Japanese company, the characters spoke Japanese & it had turn based combat. How more traditional do you want

Quote:
Then if you put FF XIII among the "good JRPGs" I wonder which is your experience to express such a highly disagreeable judgment. Not to mention you must have missed a lot, A LOT of great JRPG titles for the PS2.
I suggest you giving a shot at Tales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata, they are very good games (the former is the best role playing game on this console and the latter is a great one from the gameplay point of view). If you still prefer Enchanted Arms as "JRPG" (then again, it's a T-RPG and not "J") afterwards, I think there's nothing to do ;P
Lost Odyssey not only is the most traditional JRPG of the Xbox360, it's also one of the most complete, deep stories and strategical combat which never bores. Sure you ain't just getting frustrated by Treasure Trove or bosses too hard for you? Keep playing the game and you'll probably change your opinion at the end Till the Construction Base it is a bit slow, but it will fly then.

FFXIII had fast, fun & enjoyable combat. The combat in LO is painfully slow & unnecessarily drawn out in comparison.
I think the dream sequences are well written & deep, but I didn't think the in-game story is all that great.

The graphics also look outdated, there are tons of load times, the areas are as small & cut up as early PSX rpgs & the dungeons are way too convoluted to get around (HATED the backtracking in Experimental Staff & Ice Canyon areas).

I think Nautilus helped with making LO & their previous game, Shadow Hearts Covenant on PS2, was better in every way than LO.

As a long time JRPG fan, I definitely don't think Lost Odyssey is the best RPG this gen.
B Gatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #15
SteamboatWi11y

Send a message via MSN to SteamboatWi11y

Steamboat Wi11y's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Defeat in the Cross-Site (GSL 12 vs THL 5)   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Gatts View Post
Well, Enchanted Arms was made by a Japanese company, the characters spoke Japanese & it had turn based combat. How more traditional do you want

FFXIII had fast, fun & enjoyable combat. The combat in LO is painfully slow & unnecessarily drawn out in comparison.
I think the dream sequences are well written & deep, but I didn't think the in-game story is all that great.

The graphics also look outdated, there are tons of load times, the areas are as small & cut up as early PSX rpgs & the dungeons are way too convoluted to get around (HATED the backtracking in Experimental Staff & Ice Canyon areas).

I think Nautilus helped with making LO & their previous game, Shadow Hearts Covenant on PS2, was better in every way than LO.

As a long time JRPG fan, I definitely don't think Lost Odyssey is the best RPG this gen.
^ This very much. Of course its an opinion but whatever. Its good enough to playthrough but it isnt the best rpg or even jrpg of this gen.

Special Thanks to MabusScarab for the Signature
SteamboatWi11y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #16
Tsaako

tsaako's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Great game, 1 of the best I've played. Worth every penny.
Tsaako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 PM   #17
crazy88

Stumpy Puppy's Gamercard
Cool

I rate it as one of the best R.P.G's on xbox, along with Magna Carta 2 and Star Ocean: The Last Hope
crazy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #18
PMD RODNEY

PMD RODNEY's Gamercard
This is absolutely the greatest JRPG of this generation in my opinion. I have finished it twice now and finally have all the achievements. I am a massive fan of Hironobu Sakaguchi and his work. The traditional turned based aspects and the story are the major stand outs for me. The dream sequences are done so beautifully and it makes you really feel for Kaim and the others and understand the pain that can come with being immortal. This game is a beautiful piece of art and I highly recommend it to anyone who loves traditional JRPGS and a fantastic story.
PMD RODNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
BaZoOkaPoOka

BaZoOka PoOka's Gamercard
yes this is a good game though all the characters look ugly... the story and writing is awesome. my most fav rpg is enchanted arms, though the gameplay isnt that good , it has been story ever , i loved it

BaZoOkaPoOka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #20
rpgeer
Subscribing Member

RickGeer's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 2
I'll agree with most of the people on here...iI think it is by far the best run-based RPG on the 360 and one of the best RPGs period. Just wish I could could find the last item I need to 100% the thing
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #21
Jeecie

Jeecie Le Cool's Gamercard
I am loving the story, you will get attached to the main characters after knowing about their past and stuff. The gameplay is fun, although bosses aren't so tough for now (only on second CD right now). It's quite a long game, i've played 20 hours so far and i'm not yet finished with the second CD.
Jeecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #22
Hansathan

Hansathan's Gamercard
Without a doubt, my favorite (and perhaps) the "most complete" JRPG of this generation. In fact, this is one of the only ones I didn't get bored playing, and had me hooked for weeks. The only cheevos I didn't get are for the optional dlc boss and Treasure Trove, because both are flat out brutal. MUST BUY!

Hans(nickname) + Jonathan("real" name) = Hansathan
Hansathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #23
ksh27

ExhaustedHaapis's Gamercard
this is one of the best games since ff7.. at least i think so..
ksh27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #24
ShadeofDante

ShadeofDante's Gamercard
A lot of people call this the 'true' FFXIII. Not saying I agree with them, but a lot of people feel this is more of a traditional jRPG than many of Square-Enix's recent outings.
ShadeofDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:09 PM   #25
Jonesin

SMOK1NGJONES's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh27 View Post
this is one of the best games since ff7.. at least i think so..
I completely agree.. Lost Odyssey is the only JRPG this generation that I can compare to FF7. After FF9 the whole series flailed in my opinion. As for Encharted Arms... it was good, but not comparable to Lost Odyssey whatsoever. Very linear and only one optional dungeon at the end of the game as far as i can remember.
Jonesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
Shining Prince

Neutralicer's Gamercard
I stumbled across this on sale for $10. Incredible deal. Each disk continued the incredible beauty of the cinematics. The turn based choosing of actions for each of the characters, the gradual introduction of characters, etc reminded me of super Mario and the legend of the seven stars on the Nintendo years ago. Well worth whatever price you can find it at today.
Shining Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #27
Explodius

Explodius's Gamercard
Lost Odyssey is much better than Star Ocean 4 and Final Fantasy 13 imo, but if you don't like turn based jrpgs then you won't like it.
Explodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #28
Zuleku

Zuleku's Gamercard
This game is one of the best I have ever played. The story is very in depth and brings you into the meaning behind it. The play style is based off of FF in the turn based style but seems more strategy oriented in my opinion.
Zuleku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #29
Pyro Stick

Pyro Stick's Gamercard
I havent played many (j)rpg's on the xbox but i think this game is pretty good but it took me a while to get into it and you dont really unlock any achievements until Disc 4.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:57 AM   #30
Raymond 870

Raymond 870's Gamercard
If you like storylines that have alot of deep emotional characters this is a step in the right direction
Raymond 870 is offline   Reply With Quote