Subscribe    Donate

Old 05-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #121
DarthSoth

I DarthSoth I's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfzero01 View Post
really hate the fact that after driving forever & finally see the car that I've been looking for, I would get out of the car, swing the camera around & the car would vanish.

Also I've noticed a weird glitch, didn't affect my game. whenever I would return the the police station, the watch commander would always be standing on top of his desk.

Maybe he was just excited to see you?

The more I play the more the glitches become glaringly apparent. I've had my partner just standing next to the car and refuse to get in until I got out and then back in the car. A couple times I drove off and got 1/2 way accross town before I realized my partner was left behind.

I've parked my car in a lot, then hop in and out of a few cars parked there to get undriven cars then turn around and my police car had vanished.

The radio is getting really tiresome. They should have a couple different stations and the ability to shut the damn thing off as well as play your own music if you want. It is the 50's sureley there is more than one radio station in LA. And I really don't care if playing your own music doesn't fit the time period. The 50's music they have here is fucking brutal at times. I'd rather listen to the talk radio programs they have.

The facial animation is good mostly but there are times when it is a total crapshoot as to whether you should doubt someone or call them on a lie. There are some dodgy looks some of them give you that just screams LIE but is only doubt and vise versa.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
DarthSoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #122
fastNcurious

Wow. I didn't think any game could get any more boring than Red Dead Redemption. Boy was I wrong. Not only is this "game" boring, I wouldn't even call it a game. It's like playing find Waldo (when you're finding clues), playing cinematic scenes which require no skills or thinking whatsoever, with a mix of this new facial technology. Whoopdeedoo. I hate how reviewers give Rockstar games such huge grade inflations.

I will always buy Rockstar games used from Gamestop just so none of my $ ever goes to Rockstar. What another overrated POS.
fastNcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #123
Auburok

Send a message via Skype™ to Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Oh, another thing:
***SEMI-SPOILER***
I dislike how some people think they are cops and can just use gamewalls and slink around like some sort of sleuth when they shouldn't be. What the fuck was that all about?

Auburok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #124
XxBlueSpade2xX

exoroughneck's Gamercard

Awards Showcase x360a Representer   2,500 Posts   Word of Mouth   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
Has anyone had trouble with controlling Phelps when you're investigating? I'll walk towards a wall and he'll just stand there for a while. No clues, nothing. It's not a "throw the game away" thing, but it's annoying as shit.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #125
Baihu1983

Baihu1983's Gamercard

I want a press X to skip line patch.

No game should force the player to watch anything.

3rd November 2012 - Joined the 100K club

IF YOU SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST OVER LIVE PLEASE ALSO SEND A MESSAGE SAYING WHY?

Raptar
Voice

Baihu1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #126
Body Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Hauler View Post
Right now it's the balancing on The Quarter Moon Murders. Stupid second plank at the library.
So I made like I was in "AA" and took it 1 step at a time.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #127
TwIsTeD mInD42
Banned User

iTwIsTeDmInDx's Gamercard
Monotonous rubbish

I just can't get into this game, I'm only onto the third traffic case but I find it so boring, generic and unremarkable. Every mission is questions/clues/location repeat, add in a suspect following or chase.

Too monotonous for me, I'm disapointed
TwIsTeD mInD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:18 AM   #128
Spepo

EdibleMessiah's Gamercard
There's a thread for things like this chief....

Last edited by Spepo; 05-29-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: spelling error
Spepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #129
JustMyReactionz

justmyreactionz's Gamercard
They are suspect following and chases on later cases. they are a few shootouts aswel
JustMyReactionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:48 AM   #130
Skeletor

SKELETOR2484's Gamercard
I've haven't heard this from anyone nor have I seen any threads claiming your exact opinion...
Old 05-29-2011, 01:48 AM   #131
TwIsTeD mInD42
Banned User

iTwIsTeDmInDx's Gamercard
Well.....that's my opinion.

I loved Red Dead Redemption, I expected similar things from Rockstar but this is team Bondia w/e
TwIsTeD mInD42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:11 AM   #132
pfookie

pfcookie's Gamercard
Most frustrating part when achievement hunting, is the DISC CHANGING (AHHHH) thank god i only need one more cheev!!!
pfookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #133
kyboy

Send a message via Yahoo to kyboy

xZombieROBx's Gamercard

im loving this game.. im on my first case on vice... its something different, i breath of fresh air sorta speak... but... everyone one has there own opinion..

Thanks to DethHolly for the "Super" sig!!
kyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 AM   #134
IDiivil

Send a message via AIM to IDiivil

idiivil's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Can't handle this damn car searching bullshit anymore. The game is barely engaging at this point as it is, and the random locations, overall crap driving, and same-ish looking cars is making me lose my mind.

Fuck you, game. Fuck you.

Like my avatar? If so, you can see more of my modeling work at http://www.facebook.com/idiivil
IDiivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #135
Spepo

EdibleMessiah's Gamercard
Dug the game for the most part just a couple of things.

- The car collection achievement is crap, if they all had at least one location where they constantly spawn and would be easy to find sure, but spending hours on end to find one stinking car is a little much, although by the time I even went for the achievement I only needed around 10 cars so hopefully won't be too much more of a slog.

- Some parts were boring.

- Some texture issues although I noticed them in red dead and gtaIV as well.

- Some frame rate issues when a lot is happening

- So far my game has crashed twice.

- The disc swapping is a little annoying but nothing major.

- I personally would of preferred more in terms of action.
Spepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #136
SuperSkyline89

SuperSkyline89's Gamercard

My main beef is the same as with Red Dead Redemption. The main gameplay is pretty good with the basic elements of what makes the Grand Theft Auto games so good.

The problem is that the rest of the game is too unpolished and unrefined. Glitches, characters that don't handle well, horses that don't follow your commands closely enough (in the case of Red Dead), touchy controls, and other small stuff like that.

Noire takes it a step further by giving us a watered down "free trial" version of free roam, the most simplistic weapons system I've ever seen, and worst of all a short campaign. A company normally responsible for games with over a hundred missions should never make a game with only 20-something.

I don't regret buying Noire, just like I didn't for Red Dead, but I always feel like Rockstar puts all it's effort into Grand Theft Auto and Midnight Club while the rest of their games are comparatively substandard. For me Grand Theft Auto IV was the last great Rockstar game, there won't be another until the next Grand Theft Auto is released.
I'm boycotting EA because they butchered the Need for Speed series and refused Turn 10 the Porsche license. Kinect earned the second spot on this list with an achievement in Forza 4 and exclusive features in non-Kinect-Exclusive games like Halo Anniversary.

Forza 4 Flickr Page
SuperSkyline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #137
Gutturals

fleshrot's Gamercard
I was really pissed off with the ending. POOP.
Gutturals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #138
Otakutime

Otakutime's Gamercard
Lead Foot Achievement - bugged?

Okay so i've read through the countless people here on Xbox360 Achievement's say that the Lead Foot Achievement is the easiest to do. I've done a ton of unlocking on cars, and have been having each car run top speed through the L.A. River (which IGN had said on Youtube, was the easier way to get this achievement). I still cannot get this achievement. Someone else said maybe it was bugged - I don't see how considering others are able to get it. Do you need a specified cop car to do this or what?
Otakutime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 AM   #139
LBxRAIDER

LBxRAIDER's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBlueSpade2xX View Post
Has anyone had trouble with controlling Phelps when you're investigating? I'll walk towards a wall and he'll just stand there for a while. No clues, nothing. It's not a "throw the game away" thing, but it's annoying as shit.
I know exactly what you mean, Has happen to me a few times too. Just stands there for a while until you can move him again.

Completed Games (10)
Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, L.A. Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Madden 11, Madden 09, Madden 08, Fight Night Round 3
LBxRAIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:43 AM   #140
LBxRAIDER

LBxRAIDER's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakutime View Post
Okay so i've read through the countless people here on Xbox360 Achievement's say that the Lead Foot Achievement is the easiest to do. I've done a ton of unlocking on cars, and have been having each car run top speed through the L.A. River (which IGN had said on Youtube, was the easier way to get this achievement). I still cannot get this achievement. Someone else said maybe it was bugged - I don't see how considering others are able to get it. Do you need a specified cop car to do this or what?
No specific car, you can do it with any car. Try this video, it's the one that helped me get it.

Completed Games (10)
Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, L.A. Noire, Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Madden 11, Madden 09, Madden 08, Fight Night Round 3
LBxRAIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #141
ColonelGonzo

Colonel Gonzo's Gamercard
2 cents

This may be my first post in these forums, despite reading them for years, but liked the thread.

In my opinion almost all of the bitching is justified and comes due to a game that was in production for a reported 6 years, moving from one director and R* team to another. So many great ideas but so many glitches and half finished concepts. GTA and RDR are close to flawless in what they do, might not be to everyones tastes but they are fairly rock solid games given their open-world complexity. LAN just isn't.

Examples of the above/my bitches:
Interrogation - best idea in the game, worst implementation. Someone makes a statement completely in line with all the evidence I have, I say Truth as I have no reason to doubt them and they are a little old lady or bartender or other innocent party with no reason to lie: Wrong, I should have said Doubt as they were holding back information for no reason in the world.

Free Roam - there is actually no reason to drive between locations. We accept this as gamers because we are used to it, Mafia, GTA, RDR etc. but this game is based around conversations and cut scenes not random encounters or free time. Why do you need to drive for 10 mins to get to the other side of town, especially if there is nothing else to do on the way.

Un-polished story - the dialogue is excellent, the acting world class but the story seems to jump as if they needed just a little more test time for the final polish. Cut-scene 1, Irish boss demands I get a conviction on the case, I get the conviction, cut-scene 2, Irish boss tells me what a waste of space me and my partner are and to hit the streets until we are ready for another case, cut-scene 3, Irish boss telling the cops how great I am and giving me a new case.

Cant fail cases - it would be infuriating to get stuck trying to figure a case out, especially given the points above but once you realise you can get all of the questioning wrong, the game tells you through rumble and music where to pick up all the clues and so really its just a matter of time investment to complete, no skill involved, even the action sequences can be skipped. How much better could the game have been if you had many more people to interview with many many more questions to choose from and then had to accuse and charge someone with the crime and then find out if you got it right or wrong?

First and longest post ever, done.
ColonelGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #142
Hoborg
Banned User

As far as sandbox games go, this one is really boring. The freeroaming is boring, nothing happens. I would call this game a glorified tutorial for the new facial technology rather than a game of its own.

I hated Red Dead too.
Hoborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #143
BigLanceLS

BigLanceLS's Gamercard
It gets really annoying watching my guy climb 8 foot tall fences, but other times being incapable of making it over a 3 foot wall.

The main story and street crimes were decent enough, but other than that there is nothing to do in this game. As I was going around collecting all the film reels, I thought of what a waste it was to make such a large city for this game, but give players nothing to do with it.

As for the interrogating, it is really frustrating when somebody gives you an answer that you don't have any proof for, but doubt turns out to be the wrong answer. You have to press lie and then have Phelps ask a new question sometimes completely unrelated to the original question. You pretty much have to press lie anytime you would normally press doubt just to make sure Phelps doesn't hijack the conversation.
BigLanceLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 PM   #144
Agent Aero

Aero x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Gold   x360a Representer   Over Achiever - Bronze   Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 8 (more» ...)
Game is a pile of shit imo, same stuff over and over and incredibly boring. So it has some supposedly awesome face rec tech, big deal. That only goes so far in my book and doesn't compensate for the rest of the crap.

I'm only four cases in and cannot face this game anymore.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 AM   #145
MelangeAddict

melangeaddict's Gamercard
My one bitch so far is that all evidence pointed to the man killing his wife and that whiskey drinking bastard who calls himself my Captain scolded me. Bastards.

"You know where the word 'slave' came from? Originally? There was some black guy being a 'slave' so they called him a 'slave'" Louis C.K. with Huck Finn changes in order to not overstep forum lines.
MelangeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:41 AM   #146
SuperSkyline89

SuperSkyline89's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLanceLS View Post
The main story and street crimes were decent enough, but other than that there is nothing to do in this game. As I was going around collecting all the film reels, I thought of what a waste it was to make such a large city for this game, but give players nothing to do with it.

Seriously, they might as well have made it the size of one of the islands from GTA III. 90% of the city is totally useless and driving around it all looks the same anyway. I don't know if it's just me but when I drive around in GTA things looks different and I feel like I'm in a city but in this game I feel like I'm sitting beside one of those giant "scenery treadmills" they used in really old movies.
I'm boycotting EA because they butchered the Need for Speed series and refused Turn 10 the Porsche license. Kinect earned the second spot on this list with an achievement in Forza 4 and exclusive features in non-Kinect-Exclusive games like Halo Anniversary.

Forza 4 Flickr Page
SuperSkyline89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #147
MaxiMaximus25

GamerGrizzly25's Gamercard
all in all i thought it was a pretty good game. a huge step in making games more cinematic and lifelike. doesn't mean the game doesn't have its faults tho.

sometimes when driving, it handles like a box on wheels, but that just may be how cars were back in the day. sometimes, my car stops dead in the middle of a chase. not slow down, but just stop. i turn off my siren and then back on, and miraculously, the emergency brakes unlock. dunno what's with that, but that's pretty damn strange. another strange thing with cars is the magic disappearing act they pull on a frequent basis. nothing quite as frustrating as finding the car you've been searching an hour for, and as soon as your camera lets it out of sight, while you are right next to it, poof, it's gone.

i sorta wish that your actions had more of an impact upon the case and how it turned out, or how the characters in-game reacted to you. like, say, getting all of the questions correct gives you even more information than if you got a few wrong.

achievement hunting is sort of a bitch in this one. 50 randomly placed movie reels, while cool and referencing real movies, offers no reward except for a few gamerscore. the cars, as everyone already knows, are a bitch to find. still working on it myself. 95 cars, some of which can only be found driving around or in one spot in the game, and half of which are the same car with the top up or down or a different paint job. there's at least 3 nash super 600s that i can think of: civilian, police, and military. that's just one car in my opinion. the fact that i can't skip through certain cutscenes or lines of dialogue make replays just for the sake of five star ratings extremely tedious.

as for the story (ahem, might be some spoilers, but i imagine that if you're reading this thread, you've probably beaten the game already) is good and bad at the same time. the end is a pretty big "what the fuck" moment where i kept asking "seriously?" not much satisfaction in the ending. i'm not a fan of endings being sequelbait, but this was like the opposite of that to the extreme. the narrator at the beginning of the game? where'd he go as soon as you reach detective rank? the flashbacks? they add to the story, but are so damn choppy and ill-paced that i didn't know how to approach them. the newspapers that reveal backstory, play sequences out of order in the timeline, referencing someone you kill, several cases before you kill them. i had a hard time keeping track of when the sequences were occurring.

other things could have been played up. the power grab in the police hierarchy between the two guys, palmer and some other dude? could've been interesting. more interaction with old partners? that would've been cool. bekowsky was a cool guy and rusty grew on me after time. roy was a douche and punching him in the face would've been satisfying.

back to achievements for a sec, a lot of them, especially the higher point value ones, seem to be focused on collection, and a lot of it.

ah well, all bitching aside, i really have been enjoying this game. rockstar took a step in the right direction with the future of in-game cinematics and animation. and props to them for continuing on this stint of making games based around cool movie genres that could use a good game, starting with westerns with red dead redemption and noire with the aptly named l.a. noire. good job to rockstar for a great game.

have a good one, guys, and happy hunting.

Last edited by MaxiMaximus25; 06-01-2011 at 03:26 AM.
MaxiMaximus25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:20 PM   #148
Auburok

Send a message via Skype™ to Auburok

auburok's Gamercard

Why the hell is an important character like Ray Pinker introduced in DLC? I thought I missed the part where he was introduced in the main game since he's rather involved in parts of the game, but no, they cut out his introduction unless your preordered from Walmart, or bought the "A Slip of the Tongue" DLC.

What the fuck.

Auburok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #149
DarthSoth

I DarthSoth I's Gamercard

MaxiMaximus, learn punctuation because nobody will ever read wall of text posts like that.

Spoiler! (click here to reveal)
DarthSoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #150
MaxiMaximus25

GamerGrizzly25's Gamercard
good point. fixed 'er up. thanks.
MaxiMaximus25 is offline   Reply With Quote