PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > RPG > Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Subscribe    Donate

Old 11-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
iiPaDFooT

its xluigi's Gamercard
should i buy this game? or wait for skyrim?

i was hoping gears 3 would last me until skyrim comes out, but i'm SO bored of boosting. here's the deal. i work 10 hour overnight shifts from sunday-wednesday. basically i'll play a bit tonight, maybe an hour before work each day, if that, and probably play most of thursday. is it even worth me getting the game with skyrim coming out friday? i don't wanna get half way through oblivion and then stop for skyrim. and i don't wanna put off skyrim to finish oblivion. i can't really find any guides or anything giving me a timeframe. what do you honestly think i should do?

BTW...
i don't mean should i buy this game, ever. once im done with skyrim i'll go pick up oblivion anyway to give me something else to play. i'm just talking about should i buy the game tonight.
iiPaDFooT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #2
cHRiSCOe

Chriscoe's Gamercard
No wait for the new one. Though you could beat the main mission in that amount of time, but there is sooooo much else to do!
cHRiSCOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
TombRaiser

TombRaiser's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Gamer Chick!
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
You might want to wait to buy Oblivion, because the game is huge and will consume a lot of your time. So, since Skyrim comes out next week, I would just go for Skyrim, and then get Oblivion when you feel like it. Skyrim doesn't start off where Oblivion left off, so you won't be missing out on a continuing story. Skyrim is 200 years after Oblivion.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #4
iiPaDFooT

its xluigi's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHRiSCOe View Post
No wait for the new one. Though you could beat the main mission in that amount of time, but there is sooooo much else to do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiser View Post
You might want to wait to buy Oblivion, because the game is huge and will consume a lot of your time. So, since Skyrim comes out next week, I would just go for Skyrim, and then get Oblivion when you feel like it. Skyrim doesn't start off where Oblivion left off, so you won't be missing out on a continuing story. Skyrim is 200 years after Oblivion.
That's kinda what I figured... I found somewhere that it said I could beat the "story" in about 10-15 hours, but I also read that tons of you guys put HUNDREDS of hours into the game. I don't wanna just rush through the story. I actually wanna enjoy the game. I guess I'll just end up waiting for Skyrim and pick up Oblivion in a few months or so. I just needa find something to do for the next 6 days because I'm so over Gears.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #5
cHRiSCOe

Chriscoe's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiPaDFooT View Post
I just needa find something to do for the next 6 days because I'm so over Gears.
Go outside
cHRiSCOe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
iiPaDFooT

its xluigi's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by cHRiSCOe View Post
Go outside
lol like i said, i work overnights. so i sleep during the day. unless i'm going to chill outside at midnight that's not really an option. working overnights sucks :/
Old 11-06-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
TombRaiser

TombRaiser's Gamercard

You could always go back to some of the other games you have and work on finishing those in the meantime?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
iiPaDFooT

its xluigi's Gamercard
Quote:
You could always go back to some of the other games you have and work on finishing those in the meantime?
i only own about 3 games. i pretty much gamefly all my games. by the time i send back the ones i have and get new ones skyrim will be out anyways... lol. maybe i'll just steal fallout3 from my sisters boyfriend and replay that.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #9
yetiwizard

yetiwizard's Gamercard
Just make sure to play Oblivion at some point. As was said, the main story would probably fill the void you're facing nicely. I would get it again to just get myself worked up for Skyrim if I needed something. The side missions and such would always be nice for some boring day down the road.
yetiwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:42 PM   #10
d0ct0rscarecr0w

d0ct0rscarecr0w's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
it's a little late now but I'd say you should probably have tried it before hand because it will probably be harder to play Oblivion once you have played Skyrim.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #11
TombRaiser

TombRaiser's Gamercard

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ct0rscarecr0w View Post
it's a little late now but I'd say you should probably have tried it before hand because it will probably be harder to play Oblivion once you have played Skyrim.
Visually maybe, kind of how it was hard to go back and play Morrowind if you had been playing Oblivion because the graphics were improved since then. It won't be a difficult game though.

If you do decide to try Oblivion right now, you might find yourself wanting to keep playing.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
iiPaDFooT

its xluigi's Gamercard
Quote:
Visually maybe, kind of how it was hard to go back and play Morrowind if you had been playing Oblivion because the graphics were improved since then. It won't be a difficult game though.

If you do decide to try Oblivion right now, you might find yourself wanting to keep playing.
yeah i'm gonna wait. i picked the game up already so whenever i'm ready to do something new i can switch over right away, but it's just sitting on my game shelf for the moment.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:34 AM   #13
Destro

Destro WOD's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Skyrim has been simplified a lot again, just like Oblivion was simplified over Morrowind, so going back to Oblivion will probably be weird for you, if it was not too late i would had sugest to just play Oblivion and play skyrim later. Its not like you actually get late on your friends like in an online game...

Also Skyrim "sell out" the end of Oblivion in it... so you will get a big punch... its even in a loading screen... so hard to avoid.

Gears of War Legend
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 AM   #14
EMP

MaGiC MaN TJ's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Buy Oblivion & Skyrim, some of the best titles on XBL, highly recommend both.

→The Xbox One is freakin Awesome ←
All generalizations are false, including this one.
~ Xbox One | Day One ~
EMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
JediZombie

JediZombie's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMP View Post
Buy Oblivion & Skyrim, some of the best titles on XBL, highly recommend both.
I agree. But both are unique in their own respect.