PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Action > Shadows of the Damned
Subscribe    Donate

Old 06-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
ZombieLover84

Zombie Lover 84's Gamercard
Red Gems Exploit/Glitch: Easier Way to get achievement.

This is a way to get more red gems than normally possible. (two ways actually) making upgrading for hard or getting the Red Gem achievement even easier.

If your game saves, and you exit and reload it, every item respawns. So, if you get a Red Gem, and the game then saves, you quit, and are able to get back to it, that means you can pick up an extra one.

In chapter 4-5, there are two gems, one next to a firework machine, and another in an outhouse behind Christopher's store. Now if you use this save/reload trick and utilize it at every save in the area, you can collect 6 extra gems. There are also other areas/chapters to do this glitch. Please realize this won't work on a gem you can't get back to after the game saves.

Another thing about Gems. If you have the white gems to buy it, you can. No matter how many you have bought. So, if you spend time farming white gems, like say in the swamp, you can just buy your Red Gems and won't need to find the ones in the game.

One of the best places besides the swamp is in the chapter with the first huge face monster the spawns demons, and has three blood things you need to shoot to kill it. Stand outside the darkness and he will respawn demons forever.

Also, for more white gems, instead of a normal kill (around 3-4 gems) take out their legs and stomp them to death, netting 7-10 each kill. With these methods, you could possibly max everything and get the achievement in hard mode, no doubt with time farming. It would also make hard mode significantly easier if you fully upgraded in chapter 2-1 or 2-2 where that face monster first appears.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
MetalMudkip

MetalMudkip's Gamercard
this 'swamp' area, is it 3-2? cause I keep killing one enemy in the stomp fashion, only get about 2-3 gems, doesn't seem worth it, I'm on a wooden walkway bridge, am I in the right area or not?
MetalMudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
ZombieLover84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMudkip View Post
this 'swamp' area, is it 3-2? cause I keep killing one enemy in the stomp fashion, only get about 2-3 gems, doesn't seem worth it, I'm on a wooden walkway bridge, am I in the right area or not?
Hmm, not sure the EXACT chapter, but it's the very first swamp level, right before the As Evil As Dead chapter.

Now, on easy, the regular demons have such low health you probably won't get any extra gems by stomping on them. However, on normal and hard, enemies have more health and you can get still take out their legs rather easy, and when you stomp then, you can get in around 5-6 or more stomps.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
JohnnyPaul

The only problem with grinding is that the max white gems you can carry is 999 and you would need 3600 white gems on easy to get all 80
JohnnyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
ZombieLover84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPaul View Post
The only problem with grinding is that the max white gems you can carry is 999 and you would need 3600 white gems on easy to get all 80
True, but there are at least three places I know of that have infinite respawns. So that's 3000 right there.

Also, with the save glitch/exploit, no one should have any trouble getting the required gems.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
GotThatFace

GotThatFace's Gamercard
Another gem trick

In 4-1, after crossing the bridge you constructed earlier in the level, you will be in a room with 2 goat heads on the wall. As you enter the room, two demons will emerge from the bookshelf near the first goat head. Kill these two demons, and then turn to face the second goat head. A cyber demon will round the corner. Using the Skullbluster, shoot off the demon's mask. Then, wait for him to attack you. Dodge, and as the cyber demon jumps backwards, hit him with the Light Shot. Run over to the demon and repeatedly mash [X]. As long as you keep tapping [X], the demon will continuously spawn gems. If you aren't picking up the gems, just move the [LS] in any direction. This also works in the area immediately after this section, while you are following the sushi lamp. When the sushi lamp gets to the gate, use the Skullblaster to shoot the Brute's helmet off, and repeat the steps used on the cyber demon. Hope this helps.
GotThatFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
MetalMudkip

MetalMudkip's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotThatFace View Post
In 4-1, after crossing the bridge you constructed earlier in the level, you will be in a room with 2 goat heads on the wall. As you enter the room, two demons will emerge from the bookshelf near the first goat head. Kill these two demons, and then turn to face the second goat head. A cyber demon will round the corner. Using the Skullbluster, shoot off the demon's mask. Then, wait for him to attack you. Dodge, and as the cyber demon jumps backwards, hit him with the Light Shot. Run over to the demon and repeatedly mash [X]. As long as you keep tapping [X], the demon will continuously spawn gems. If you aren't picking up the gems, just move the [LS] in any direction. This also works in the area immediately after this section, while you are following the sushi lamp. When the sushi lamp gets to the gate, use the Skullblaster to shoot the Brute's helmet off, and repeat the steps used on the cyber demon. Hope this helps.

this doesn't really make much sense to me, do you shoot the demon when you're aiming at it's back? really makes no sense.
MetalMudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
chaos915

5-1 also has a respawning red gem. It's the first one listed for 5-1 in the high in las vegas guide.
chaos915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #9
Khalid-S

KhalidS's Gamercard
So If I reloaded the game 80 times.. is the achievement going to pop up?
Khalid-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #10
migueloetb

Send a message via AIM to migueloetb

Dead Bird 101's Gamercard
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLover84 View Post
This is a way to get more red gems than normally possible. (two ways actually) making upgrading for hard or getting the Red Gem achievement even easier.

If your game saves, and you exit and reload it, every item respawns. So, if you get a Red Gem, and the game then saves, you quit, and are able to get back to it, that means you can pick up an extra one.

In chapter 4-5, there are two gems, one next to a firework machine, and another in an outhouse behind Christopher's store. Now if you use this save/reload trick and utilize it at every save in the area, you can collect 6 extra gems. There are also other areas/chapters to do this glitch. Please realize this won't work on a gem you can't get back to after the game saves.

Another thing about Gems. If you have the white gems to buy it, you can. No matter how many you have bought. So, if you spend time farming white gems, like say in the swamp, you can just buy your Red Gems and won't need to find the ones in the game.

One of the best places besides the swamp is in the chapter with the first huge face monster the spawns demons, and has three blood things you need to shoot to kill it. Stand outside the darkness and he will respawn demons forever.

Also, for more white gems, instead of a normal kill (around 3-4 gems) take out their legs and stomp them to death, netting 7-10 each kill. With these methods, you could possibly max everything and get the achievement in hard mode, no doubt with time farming. It would also make hard mode significantly easier if you fully upgraded in chapter 2-1 or 2-2 where that face monster first appears.
Will this work with any red gem? or just the ones listed above (in the quote)?

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"-Atticus Finch
migueloetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #11
ZombieLover84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalid-S View Post
So If I reloaded the game 80 times.. is the achievement going to pop up?
No. Only certain red gems can be exploited by this.

Basically:

If you find a red gem, and you pass a save point (it says autosaving in the bottom left corner), turn around and go back to the red gem. If you can go back to it (alot of the red gems you cannot progress back to) then you can quit, reload and get that gem again. If you reload again it wont work because you haven't saved again.

The one I mentioned gets you six extra from 2 gems because there are so many auto saves around that area to exploit.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #12
ZombieLover84

Quote:
Originally Posted by migueloetb View Post
Will this work with any red gem? or just the ones listed above (in the quote)?
Any red gem you can make your way back to after the autosave.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
migueloetb

Send a message via AIM to migueloetb

Dead Bird 101's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLover84 View Post
Any red gem you can make your way back to after the autosave.
thank you

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it"-Atticus Finch
migueloetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #14
KILLBOT

On an easy playthrough I farmed the giant rotating heads twice, when I left those areas I had about 600 white gems and I farmed the teleporting guy for 900. I also stompted most common demons I came across and collected red gems using the guide up to about 4-1. By 4-3 I had 80 reds.

If you do a mixture of farming and using the guide you can get 80 reds comfortably. I ended up buying 52 from Christopher.
KILLBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
ZombieLover84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLBOT View Post
On an easy playthrough I farmed the giant rotating heads twice, when I left those areas I had about 600 white gems and I farmed the teleporting guy for 900. I also stompted most common demons I came across and collected red gems using the guide up to about 4-1. By 4-3 I had 80 reds.

If you do a mixture of farming and using the guide you can get 80 reds comfortably. I ended up buying 52 from Christopher.
Very true. The glitch is not needed, however it sure as hell cuts down on farming. I was able to get my 80 before act 5 and the only place I farmed was the first giant rotating head, until I had 400 gems because I wanted a nice boost to start off.

With farming, I was able to eek out around 15-20 extra gems, just exit, reload, back up, profit.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
Rowan88

Send a message via MSN to Rowan88

Rowan88's Gamercard
Am I right in saying, when you hit a save point, and you go back to the main menu, load your save, go back and get the gem...

When you hit that same point you got the first save point it should do it again??
Rowan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Chaoticsoulzero

cha0tics0ul's Gamercard
I found another infinitely respawning red gem early in the game.

When you get to the second red gem in 2-1 (the one behind the pillar) in the room where you get a cut scene and the hand drops the demons, once you clear that room you hit a save point.

Quit, load and immediately walk up to the gate behind you. The cut scene plays again and teleports you right back into that area and allows you not only to kill the demons again towards any kill related achievement you can get at that time, it allows you to get the red gem again.

Afterwards walk near the other gate in the room and a save should occur there as well, allowing you to repeat the cycle.

Just thought I'd point this one out.

Edit: For some reason, after 12 restarts it's not letting me do it anymore. Though its a good head start for such an early chapter.

Last edited by Chaoticsoulzero; 06-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Chaoticsoulzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #18
Caboose45

caboose45O's Gamercard
So just make sure you just need 80 gems, you dont need to collect every gem in the game.
Caboose45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #19
Caboose45

caboose45O's Gamercard
^thats a question.
Caboose45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
doket

Send a message via MSN to doket

D4rk St4r 2007's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose45 View Post
So just make sure you just need 80 gems, you dont need to collect every gem in the game.
i have 86 red gems but the high in las vegas achievement dont pop for me. i use the glitch and collect as many white gems to buy the red gems. after my red gems hit 80. no achievement pop. is there i also need to collect all the hidden red gems in stage too? for my 86 red gems, i only collect 24 hidden in the stage, other are buying from the guy...

Edit: read at other thread, even after collect 80 red gems, have to buy all the upgrade too. as soon as the last upgrade i buy, the achievement pop. thanks for the glitch...

Last edited by doket; 06-30-2011 at 11:29 AM.
doket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #21
DoomKvlt

carnalwarharlot's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaoticsoulzero View Post

When you get to the second red gem in 2-1 (the one behind the pillar) in the room where you get a cut scene and the hand drops the demons, once you clear that room you hit a save point.

Quit, load and immediately walk up to the gate behind you. The cut scene plays again and teleports you right back into that area and allows you not only to kill the demons again towards any kill related achievement you can get at that time, it allows you to get the red gem again.

Afterwards walk near the other gate in the room and a save should occur there as well, allowing you to repeat the cycle.

Edit: For some reason, after 12 restarts it's not letting me do it anymore. Though its a good head start for such an early chapter.
Actually, it is possible to exploit the warp glitch in 2-1 infinitely. I have been doing it and attained 31 red gems thus far, in an attempt to secure all the gems on my third playthrough. I'm not sure what restricted you from getting more than 12 gems, I think it might have to do with turning the game off while you're on the opposite side of the gate.
DoomKvlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #22
Varkovsky

Quote:

Can someone explain this glitch better? I don't understand the part where I should quit, load and walk up to the gate behind. is this before I kill the demons dropped by the hand or after? Is this supposed to the be the room where I can find the red gem or the room after?
Varkovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #23
Bulldog LXXIII

Bulldog LXXIII's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varkovsky View Post
Can someone explain this glitch better? I don't understand the part where I should quit, load and walk up to the gate behind. is this before I kill the demons dropped by the hand or after? Is this supposed to the be the room where I can find the red gem or the room after?
From what I can see when you get the cut scene of the hand -

.Go and collect the gem
..Shoot the goat
...Clear the room
....Head for the gate shown and go through gate
.....Wait for save point
......Quit
.......Load game
........Turn 180 when game starts going to the gate behind you forcing the cut scene again
.........Repeat above steps.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:42 PM   #24
Chaoticsoulzero

cha0tics0ul's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog LXXIII View Post
From what I can see when you get the cut scene of the hand -

.Go and collect the gem
..Shoot the goat
...Clear the room
....Head for the gate shown and go through gate
.....Wait for save point
......Quit
.......Load game
........Turn 180 when game starts going to the gate behind you forcing the cut scene again
.........Repeat above steps.

Wow. That is a a much better format then what I had. Nice work. Though you need to be sure that once you clear it every other time that you go near the save point at the start of the room, since the one you just loaded from will already be used.

I wish I had a suitable video camera (or the game anymore for that matter) to show you what I did. Though it isn't really needed. If you follow the Gem guide and get as many kills in the inf spawn areas you should be good.

Last edited by Chaoticsoulzero; 07-02-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Chaoticsoulzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
BigFishBen

BigFishBen's Gamercard
White Gems glitch

I don't know if anyone has ever posted this, but today I figured out a fairly easy exploit for white gems, once you get to/past chapter 3:

(description from my YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtZZwr8I52c

Instructions:
The process is easy to understand, but a bit difficult to pull off. When you start facing the enemies completely clad in armor that can turn into a purple ethereal mist (I think in Chapter 3 is where you first meet them), try to hit them with a light shot in the legs. If you're lucky, they'll fall to the ground...run over to them and start stomping. I maxed out the white gem meter this way (999 gems), and you can repeat as needed to do the same.
BigFishBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Gizmo Monkey

Gizmo Monkey's Gamercard
Quote:
Wow. That is a a much better format then what I had. Nice work. Though you need to be sure that once you clear it every other time that you go near the save point at the start of the room, since the one you just loaded from will already be used.

I wish I had a suitable video camera (or the game anymore for that matter) to show you what I did. Though it isn't really needed. If you follow the Gem guide and get as many kills in the inf spawn areas you should be good.
This doesn't always work. After about 3 times of saving the game stops saving after u open the gate meaning you can't farm for red gems. Reloaded and same thing.
Gizmo Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
moonknightvt

moonknightvt's Gamercard
does the game reload thing actually work? That doesn't seem like it would.
moonknightvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #28
mjmaskrey

mjmaskrey's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo Monkey View Post
This doesn't always work. After about 3 times of saving the game stops saving after u open the gate meaning you can't farm for red gems. Reloaded and same thing.
I hit 30 red gems doing this before getting bored and I'm sure you could do all 80 if you have the patience. Just make sure to alternate gate save positions.

Dunno if it made any difference but when I'd collected 10 I spent them on upgrades then carried on.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
skynetarmy

DREW ARMY's Gamercard
Having some trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFishBen View Post
I don't know if anyone has ever posted this, but today I figured out a fairly easy exploit for white gems, once you get to/past chapter 3:

(description from my YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtZZwr8I52c

Instructions:
The process is easy to understand, but a bit difficult to pull off. When you start facing the enemies completely clad in armor that can turn into a purple ethereal mist (I think in Chapter 3 is where you first meet them), try to hit them with a light shot in the legs. If you're lucky, they'll fall to the ground...run over to them and start stomping. I maxed out the white gem meter this way (999 gems), and you can repeat as needed to do the same.
I've been trying this for nearly an hour and i haven't managed to have him drop unless i break his armor. But then i kill him. Any other tips.
Update...i guess I needed to try for a hour and a minute. From what I saw you have to hit him with the lightshot as he's jumping away from you after his teleport attack. That's the hard part. But once you get it you'll be mashing X for about 4 minutes. Make sure you stretch!

Last edited by skynetarmy; 07-09-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: I was retarded
skynetarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #30
LordOdadjian

OdadjianActual's Gamercard
I accidentally upgraded my guns in my easy playthrough. That completely destroys the amount of gems you can get. You shoot someone's leg with an upgraded gun and even if you stomp them, you only get like one gem. They have so little health after the leg shot from your powerful gun that you can only get one stomp in before they die, and so, you get barely any gems.

This is important for anyone trying the white gem grinding, lol.
LordOdadjian is offline   Reply With Quote