PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Sports and Fitness > FIFA 12
Subscribe    Donate

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Anyone else sick of Europeans making fun of North Americans for not liking soccer?

Ok I know people like soccer more in Europe but I am still sick of you guys saying us Americans and Canadians don't know anything about soccer and don't like it. Ok so if we don't like it then why does my team average in the top 40 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match. We just opened up our stadium a bit more to 46,000 for an MLS regular season match to see if it will still sell out and guess what its still selling out at 46,000 on weekdays! Ok so if we are selling out at 46,000 seats every match and the whole entire crowd sings and has a jersey of the team on then how do we not like soccer? Are you guys telling me that every match 46,000 fans crowd into the stadium to watch soccer even though they don't like soccer? Also we tied England in the world cup so I don't know what else you Brits want us to do to prove that we like the beautful game so ya...

Sorry for that little rant but it just gets on my nervs!

Last edited by Assasin13; 06-28-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
Joelly

Abused Ginger x's Gamercard
I understand and agree with you.

However I am english and have experience some hate whilst playing NHL online. I have been told I shouldnt be playing the game because I dont understand ice hockey. It works both ways, but shouldnt matter at all.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
Masterfuljk23

Masterfuljk23's Gamercard
the problem is the culture difference kids in England are brought up with people asking who do you support and its in bedded in us at a young age the problem is most of the people that moan and say stupid things are normally young and support either man u or arsenal. Some of the best games ive played on fifa have been against people from across the pond and i personally find their temperament is much nicer. it allways nice beating galaxy with leicester. Anyway could be worse good be french.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
BIGMatthew182

bigmatthew182's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
To be honest if you called it football not soccer europeans would not suggest that Americans ect dont like football

Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMatthew182 View Post
To be honest if you called it football not soccer europeans would not suggest that Americans ect dont like football
I don't know why I need to say football when where I am from they call it soccer. Its like Austrailians call rugby football, is that a big deal? Not really. Now if I was in Europe I would call it football since that is what everyone calls it where I am at the time, but since I am sitting at my computer in Seattle, WA in the United States I will call it soccer.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
Nihilus6

lord nihilus's Gamercard
have to agree with BIGMatthew here and yes it is a big deal to us europeans

ever seen the movie 'hooligan'? it actually describes it pretty good lol =)
Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #7
BluWolve
Subscribing Member

BluWolve's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Donator - Level 5   Subscriber - Platinum   Submit - Silver   A+ Thread Award   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I'm from Australia and we have rugby leauge, rugby union, soccer and aussie rule football. There are people who call each of those sports football, it all depends on your own personal preference. I mean, you use your feet for all of them don't you?

Back on topic, I don't see the big deal with calling soccer soccer, I think it is just ignorant to think that people are wrong if they don't call the a sport by the same name another country does. England calls soccer football, but In Australia I call Aussie Rules Football, Because thats what I have grown up with. I am not going to get angry with an englishman calling soccer football, and I will still know what they are talking about.

I used to have an english girlfriend and she used to call potato chips crisps, I never felt the need to correct her or get all rascist.
I'm an idiot
Old 07-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Sgt Hartman 87

Dr Roidburg's Gamercard
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assasin13 View Post
Since I am sitting at my computer in Seattle, WA in the United States I will call it soccer.
Since we invented the sport and named it football, it should be called just that! Joke. If you love the game, who cares what anyone else thinks???
Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #9
SmS

Send a message via Skype™ to SmS

S1mmas's Gamercard
How can we stop making fun of you, than you think that game there 85% of time "ball" is in players hand can be called FOOTball? Stop doing that and i will be fine with americans
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
Hammer 5O2

Hammer x360a's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Word of Mouth   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Works both ways. Americans make fun of Euros and their way of playing sports that are "American" all the time. How often do you hear Americans call European basketball or hockey players "soft" or "finesse" players? It happens all the time. I find however that Americans are far more sensitive to being stereotyped than Europeans are because their is some sort of elitist complex built up inside of them. For instance, how many threads do you see in the NBA 2k12 forum posted by Europeans complaining about how Americans make fun of their lack of knowledge when it comes to basketball? The fact of the matter is all of the major European football leagues DWARF and I mean DWARF the MLS and until that changes (which it never will), American soccer will always be second and thought of as second, if not third class (don't forget about South America) when it comes to football. No different is this than all European basketball leagues are thought of as second class to the NBA. Move on, enjoy your MLS and quit worrying about your perceived intelligence when it comes to soccer.

178 Completions
141 Retail
37 Arcade

Everyone Please Check out my Blog and Follow It
http://hammerx360a.blogspot.com/
Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 AM   #11
Homicidal is gay

its true that america have to change everything to be different,like calling football soccer,calling petrol gas,pavement sidewalk,and the famous one colour color
most of them dont admit that its not the real way , all these words were made up in 1800 by weirdos like that noah american guy who said lets change colour to color,
u get some strange americans

ITS FOOTBALL 100% CALL IT THE REAL WAY
Old 07-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
LiamW92

Liammm RUFC's Gamercard
Right. Heres an example of why I dont like Americans + Football together.

We invented it and called it Football, why change it to soccer?

We still call your sports there proper names for example American Football

Its just akwardness and it is annoying.

Oh and another thing that annoyed my whilst reading is this, you put ''tied'' instead of draw! Ha that sounds so shit! We invented to game and called it a draw. No need for it to change. Whats next? Changing a goal to a score?

pffft. Americans -_-
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #13
Sgt Hartman 87

Dr Roidburg's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamW92 View Post

Oh and another thing that annoyed my whilst reading is this, you put ''tied'' instead of draw! Ha that sounds so shit! We invented to game and called it a draw. No need for it to change. Whats next? Changing a goal to a score?

pffft. Americans -_-
Dont forget they call keepers "goal tenders", that one always gets me haha.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
LiamW92

Liammm RUFC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Hartman 87 View Post
Haha! Is this true? Exibit C right there...
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #15
MxPx

MxPx's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 5O2 View Post
Works both ways. Americans make fun of Euros and their way of playing sports that are "American" all the time. How often do you hear Americans call European basketball or hockey players "soft" or "finesse" players? It happens all the time. I find however that Americans are far more sensitive to being stereotyped than Europeans are because their is some sort of elitist complex built up inside of them. For instance, how many threads do you see in the NBA 2k12 forum posted by Europeans complaining about how Americans make fun of their lack of knowledge when it comes to basketball? The fact of the matter is all of the major European football leagues DWARF and I mean DWARF the MLS and until that changes (which it never will), American soccer will always be second and thought of as second, if not third class (don't forget about South America) when it comes to football. No different is this than all European basketball leagues are thought of as second class to the NBA. Move on, enjoy your MLS and quit worrying about your perceived intelligence when it comes to soccer.
The MLS will definitely catch up to European leagues...it will just take a while.

Problem is that in the United States we have the collegiate system. By the time players get to the pro-league, they're already in their early 20s, rather than 16yr olds brought up in U-18 leagues.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmS View Post
How can we stop making fun of you, than you think that game there 85% of time "ball" is in players hand can be called FOOTball? Stop doing that and i will be fine with americans
It is called football due to the fact that the length of the ball used is one foot. Get your facts straight next time.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #17
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
We call them goal tenders in hockey, however we call them goal keepers in soccer/football. Seriously, where did you get that one from?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:44 PM   #18
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homicidal is gay View Post
its true that america have to change everything to be different,like calling football soccer,calling petrol gas,pavement sidewalk,and the famous one colour color
most of them dont admit that its not the real way , all these words were made up in 1800 by weirdos like that noah american guy who said lets change colour to color,
u get some strange americans

ITS FOOTBALL 100% CALL IT THE REAL WAY
I was just in England a few years ago and people there were calling it both gas and petrol, in the states we use the words pavement and sidewalk, and honestly are you really critisizing us for taking out the u in color?
Old 07-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #19
Khardku

Khardku's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 5O2 View Post
I have to agree with you 100%. Especially your last sentence, I enjoy the EPL as much as the next person but I also enjoy the MLS (am a big supporter of TFC) and I personlly dont care to what my European friends say about our level of play. I enjoy it and thats all I care about
Old 07-17-2011, 04:46 PM   #20
Sgt Hartman 87

Dr Roidburg's Gamercard
Quote:
We call them goal tenders in hockey, however we call them goal keepers in soccer/football. Seriously, where did you get that one from?
I've seen a few footb... sorry "soccer" games from the states and i have heard multiple commentators call them "goal tenders". So to answer your question, from american commentators.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #21
LiamW92

Liammm RUFC's Gamercard
Whilst watch the USA v Japan game yesterday, I came across example 100 why I hate Americans talking about football.

The captain said she thought she won the game in OVERTIME. Its fucking EXTRA TIME ffs :L
Old 07-18-2011, 03:17 PM   #22
v Adamm x

v Adamm x's Gamercard
Quote:
Whilst watch the USA v Japan game yesterday, I came across example 100 why I hate Americans talking about football.

The captain said she thought she won the game in OVERTIME. Its fucking EXTRA TIME ffs :L
Haha Overtime! Americans should stick to their touchdowns and hockey pucks.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
KryptoAcid

kryptoacid's Gamercard
and too clarify the 'u' was taken out of words in the states because we don't have the accent. and in the early 1800's the former colonist were trying to distances themselves from Britain in every way possible. Not that this has anything to do with soccer! HAHA! and one last thing, someone said keep our sports and never even mentioned baseball! Classic ignorance. shows how little we know about other cultures.

PERFECT 100,000, this time!!!! SWEETNESS!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #24
Benj192

Benj192's Gamercard
Quote:

pffft. Americans -_-

You do realise that the word 'soccer' is originally from England?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #25
LiamW92

Liammm RUFC's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benj192 View Post
You do realise that the word 'soccer' is originally from England?
Maybe so but the game is called FOOTBALL not soccer. So why did it get changed?

Probably cos your a bunch of rednecks but who knows...

Last edited by LiamW92; 07-18-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #26
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:

At least we made it to the World Cup Final and have won it twice out of only 6 events unlike England.

Oh and just the other day some Brit called it a baseball "pitch" so don't go on about us calling things wrong.

Last edited by Assasin13; 07-18-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
KryptoAcid

kryptoacid's Gamercard
Quote:

Proberbly cos your a bunch of rednecks but who knows...
calling us rednecks.... you can't even spell..... love it!

PERFECT 100,000, this time!!!! SWEETNESS!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #28
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:

Proberbly cos your a bunch of rednecks but who knows...
Because we already had a sport called football that was created around the same time as soccer/football.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #29
Assasin13

NFBT's Gamercard
Quote:
I've seen a few footb... sorry "soccer" games from the states and i have heard multiple commentators call them "goal tenders". So to answer your question, from american commentators.
Sorry but I have never heard an American commentator call them "goal tenders."
Just the thought of it makes me laugh a little inside.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #30
LiamW92

Liammm RUFC's Gamercard
Quote:
At least we made it to the World Cup Final and have won it twice out of only 6 events unlike England.

Oh and just the other day some Brit called it a baseball "pitch" so don't go on about us calling things wrong.
So...? Mens football is what counts Us 1 You 0, I know its Sexist but idc...

Were talking about football here buddy.
Closed Thread