PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Duke Nukem Forever
Subscribe    Donate

Old 07-22-2011, 02:33 AM   #31
sw204me

sw204me's Gamercard
Does installing the game on your hard drive help the load times at all?
sw204me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #32
Illicit

illicitsoc's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw204me View Post
Does installing the game on your hard drive help the load times at all?
I only played it when it was installed...loading times were still ridiculous.
Illicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #33
sw204me

sw204me's Gamercard
I guess the crazy loading times comes later in the game, cause so far the longest I had to wait was maybe 45 seconds, so pretty much the same as Fallout Vegas, so far, I haven't hit any load times that have made me wanna pull out my hair, there was a download I got when I put the game in, and I installed to the drive, so maybe they patched it?

As for insane, these post scare the shit out of me. I'm playing on easy right now and some of the mobs are crazy. Like the pig, I'm on extreme easy, to get all the achievements out of the way before playing on insane, and he hits me once and there goes half my health, I'm guessing on insane all the mobs are a 1 hit kill to you?
Old 07-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #34
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   Micro Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
The fact that you use this site to help you attain achievements doesn't make you legit... you stated your opinion.. I've stated mine.

Anywho, as for insane.. I'm kinda looking forward to it.. how bad could it be, although I've heard this game is just atrocious in all aspects as it is. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #35
upindat

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
finished the game on normal. have the hard and insane cheevos left. So do i go back and just replay the chapters on insane?? I read that someone said dont use the start new campain because you lose all your ego. Any help would be great!!
Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #36
Verdinial
Banned User

TF x Redemption's Gamercard
This game will be the end of me getting 100% on every game I've played. I just can't be asked with waiting for the load screens. If it didn't take so long to load I would try, but honestly I don't think I could cope with the anger I would get from it, and would probably end up killing someone. I kid obviously, but it would piss me off to no extent.
Verdinial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #37
GreatPotBandito

Playing through now, the load screens are nowhere near as bad as Sonic 06. So I've sat through worse. As far as Insane goes...It couldn't possibly compare to Heart of the Reich on WaW....or does it?
GreatPotBandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 AM   #38
Illicit

illicitsoc's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw204me View Post
I guess the crazy loading times comes later in the game, cause so far the longest I had to wait was maybe 45 seconds, so pretty much the same as Fallout Vegas, so far, I haven't hit any load times that have made me wanna pull out my hair, there was a download I got when I put the game in, and I installed to the drive, so maybe they patched it?

As for insane, these post scare the shit out of me. I'm playing on easy right now and some of the mobs are crazy. Like the pig, I'm on extreme easy, to get all the achievements out of the way before playing on insane, and he hits me once and there goes half my health, I'm guessing on insane all the mobs are a 1 hit kill to you?
45 seconds is a long loading time for this game. I only played on hard (carrying the pistol) and insane. There's no reason this games loading time should be that long. If you play on insane and die a bunch you'll understand. This is coming from someone who actually liked the game. Don't be too afraid of insane, if you're familiar with FPS games its not THAT bad.

I just wanna add I didn't have 45 sec. load screens on New Vegas (or Fallout 3). DNF load screens were way worse to me. Edit 2: I also want to say I do believe your loading times on New Vegas were that bad. Most of my friends had the same problem with that game.

Last edited by Illicit; 07-23-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:35 AM   #39
Illicit

illicitsoc's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPotBandito View Post
Playing through now, the load screens are nowhere near as bad as Sonic 06. So I've sat through worse. As far as Insane goes...It couldn't possibly compare to Heart of the Reich on WaW....or does it?
No, DNF insane in general is easier than Heart of the Reich IMO
Old 07-24-2011, 06:55 PM   #40
Suburban Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by koubo View Post
I have been working on the insane difficulty for a couple weeks now, doing bits and pieces here and there. I am nearly done now. I think if I had sat there and tried to do it all at once or in large chunks I would have given up on it right from the get-go. Videos and help from forums and such have also helped with the desire to finish the difficulty.
Good advice here. The game is almost unplayable on Insane due to the notorious loading times, but I've been tackling it for 30-60 minutes at a time over the course of a few weeks and it hasn't been nearly as bad.

It also helps if you have something else to do during the loading screens - read, listen to music, surf the web, whatever...anything to take your mind off the tedium.
Suburban Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #41
xblackmambax 81

xblackmambax 81's Gamercard
The Octaking boss fight was about the only part that gave me somewhat of a difficult time on Insane mode! It isn't too bad though if you have a holoduke and beer on the side, but without those two things, it's definitely going to be a real tedious battle as there is hardly any room to dodge projectiles emanated from Octaking's little minions, so you'll be taking cover the majority of the time. But once you get Octaking's health down to around 60%, the octabrains will stop spawning, making the rest of the battle a piece of cake.

Other than that, the game isn't too bad on Insane. Especially if you picked up most of (if not all) of the ego awards from your first playthrough, you should be good to go. Just a little patience and the Damn I'm Good achievement shall be yours!
xblackmambax 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 AM   #42
sw204me

sw204me's Gamercard
I have full ego from the first play through and Insane is still retarded, two hits and I die, that's it, no recovery time, nothing, I get hit twice, I go down. I gave up on insane, I don't have the time to put into it to get it, so I'll finish it on hard and send it back to gamefly, 950 is pretty good imo, Insane just isn't worth it.

Last edited by sw204me; 07-25-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #43
jules the great

Send a message via AIM to jules the great

OldSchoolJules's Gamercard

Awards Showcase XBA Promoter   1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 2 (more» ...)
Yeah no I wont be even attempting this game on insane. I rented it from redbox over the weekend. I got pretty far playing on Normal and even that was a PITA at some points. This game would just be impossible on insane. Seems it would be 100x tougher than any COD game. I will re-rent it next weekend just to finish it off and pick up any last few cheeves I can muster up but no, nothing over normal on this game for me. lol
oh and that OctaKing??? HELL NO! I dont know how any of you beat that SOB on anything over Normal. Jesus christ. Im a pretty decent shooter player and this thing was ridiculous for me on Normal. Took maybe 4 or 5 tries to beat it. ugh
Old 07-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #44
sw204me

sw204me's Gamercard
Yea, I'm at that part on Hard, and I'm getting the Advil and Mt. Dew ready to go. That fight on Piece of Cake was a nightmare, I'm really not looking forward to it on Hard. My hat is off to anyone that did this game on insane, because that truly is amazing.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #45
Xenolith666

Xenolith666's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Staff Club - Never Final   Staff Club - Gackt   Staff Club - * Clueless *   Over Achiever - Gold   Micro Guide - Silver   1,000 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze
Total Awards: 9 (more» ...)
Just finished Insane... it wasn't too terrible. A couple spots I got stuck on was on Duke Burger when you man the turret in the downed aircraft... that bit sux. Also had some trouble with the stairs in the dam at the end. But there's a machine gun to the left of the stairs (behind those popping things on the ground) you can shoot the red barrels on the way down. Got a little stuck on the last boss... it's a long fight, probly took me a dozen tries. Overall not that bad. Woulda been faster if those loading screens weren't forever.

Xenolith666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #46
Darkforce412

darkforce412's Gamercard
take ur hat off i guess this means im amazing for beating it on insane lol
Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #47
tripps77

Tripps77's Gamercard
i just go this game and am installing it on my hd sounds like i should just turn it back in
tripps77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #48
sw204me

sw204me's Gamercard
It's a renter at best, I REALLY hope you didn't drop $60 on it...
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #49
thekid215

RedemptionIn509's Gamercard
Before I replay games I ask myself, "am I going to have any fun playing this again?". The answer for most games is a yes, for this one it was a no all the way. When you don't enjoy the first play through chances are the second will be just, if not worse, than the first. I started an Insane play through and got to the Duke Cave and realized I was going to have to put up with Duke and his fizzled game play mechanics and retarded dialogue for more levels than anyone should have to. Eject Disc, Insert into Envelope. Put in Mail. And hope USPS takes crap concealed in an envelope.
"Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer." ~Mark Danielewski

thekid215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 AM   #50
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
I just beat the campaign on normal or whatever the fuck it's called and I gotta say, it was a bitch! There were a lot of parts in the game that pissed me off and I rage quit. I, myself am not going to go for the completion unless I watch over some walkthrough on Youtube. And even doing that, I think it'll be a big pain in the ass. Great game but way to hard for me.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #51
pandaliamcod6

xG i GeNoCiDeZ's Gamercard
I'm proud of myself for completing it on insane, my first 100% retail game for now! I found it quite easy but that FUCKING OCTAKING! It took me nearly 7 hours hours to defeat that ASSHOLE!

50,000 G 28/01/2013
pandaliamcod6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #52
Rep

Send a message via AIM to Rep Send a message via Skype™ to Rep

Mainstream's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Submit - Silver   XBA Promoter   Referrals - Bronze   2,500 Posts   Achievement Guide - Bronze   Road Map - Bronze   Donator - Level 1
Total Awards: 7 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaliamcod6 View Post
I'm proud of myself for completing it on insane, my first 100% retail game for now! I found it quite easy but that FUCKING OCTAKING! It took me nearly 7 hours hours to defeat that ASSHOLE!
That's what I've been stuck on for the last week. It's a pain in the ass.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #53
T0b3

Send a message via ICQ to T0b3 Send a message via AIM to T0b3 Send a message via MSN to T0b3 Send a message via Yahoo to T0b3 Send a message via Skype™ to T0b3

t0b3 zero's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Silver   Road Map - Gold   1,000 Posts   Submit - Bronze
Total Awards: 4 (more» ...)
I'm currently on that Highway.. something level, it's been easy so far. But I know that the hardest parts are to come, so yeah.. I guess I'll rage eventually. The only real "hard" part is to endure those nasty loading times, imo.

Overall, Insane isn't that hard. I've beaten far harder games.

100% Retail:
44 | 100% Arcade: 92
trueachievements
99999 GS achieved 09/07/2011
T0b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #54
The Big Badd

the big badd's Gamercard
I'm not even going to bother, the load times and the octo fight convinced me not to
The Big Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #55
Destro

Destro WOD's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Any news on a patch for loading times? This could solve some, but i agree the octaking is the worst part... even on normal it was a pain in the butt... if i ever go for insane on this, ill start by him

Gears of War Legend
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #56
galve666

mr galve's Gamercard
Did it and loved I honestly think the hardest setting on any game is the 'true game', as it were.

Mop up on easy for sure but insane/hardcore is where i get emotional, hate, thankfulness,joy to name a few. No other setting gets my heart pumping as much.

Duke for example, not hard, i used 2 beers throughout the insane campaign, i always thought i'd keep it as a back up in case i ever got stuck. If i had to re-try more than thrice i'd use it. twice i used it.
Any COD on vet is harder than this.! (i can't comment on 3 as i never touched it, but maxed every other except moon add on, on ops,and is being worked on).

Last edited by galve666; 08-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.
galve666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #57
Gareth Dent

Send a message via MSN to Gareth Dent Send a message via Skype™ to Gareth Dent

Gareth Dent's Gamercard
Alright, i finished insane and i'm gonna give you chaps some ground rules.

#1 Have the shotgun or ripper on you at all times, shotgun is better but if you run out of bullets or need a longer range then ripper is your gun.

#2 Save your shrink ray for those octopussies + Those big fat guys in the flying chairs. It really is such a help.

#3 At the end of forkstop in the companion barrel closet make sure you pick up and save the shrink ray, for the octaking if you just hide in the hut to the right then shrink + shotgun all the octabrains eventually octaking will run out and all you have to do is strafe left to right with the devastator and easily. EASILY kill him. If your having problems, drink a beer then kill the octabrains.

#4 for the turrent on Crash Course (quite honestly the hardest part imo)
Best strategy is to put on aim assist, aim in the general area of the ship you want to shoot and then keep tapping the left trigger while holding the right trigger. Aim assist will automatically put your aimer onto the gun ship with no effort. Only thing to tell you from there is that when the ships come in packs of 2 sometimes only one will hit you and the other will fly by, usually its the one behind that will hit and the one in front just flys by.

#5 Freeze ray is only good if you use the Duke 3D cheat, i prefer shotgun + shrinkray/ripper.

#6 Conserve your beer, it will save you in the best of times.

"We all have secrets; the ones we keep, and the ones that are kept from us."
Gifts
-EaT-
djunglist
VelocityGFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TentacleTherapist View Post
This thread is now basically a 'Gareth is awesome thread'.
Gareth Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #58
ll X ll

Im currently playing it on insane. Not as bad as many are making it out to be although, im worried about some parts in the game. The hive being one, Octaking, Dam boss and thats about it for me i guess. We'll see what happens.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #59
Destro

Destro WOD's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 2,500 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
I did MW1 and 2 on vet, exept a few parts, that where mostly luck than anything else, it was not that hard at all. For exemple when you run from the Villa to meet Shephard with the intel, i had to redo the same part like 12 times, yet i did THE SAME THING all the time and one time i was lucky that final bullet didn't catch me... JUST LUCK. The rest, it was the time part that where hard, the key is to be quick, if you are, you get a checkpoint in the middle. The game wont give you a checkpoint if it judge you could run out of time for the second part cause of there checkpoint(and its logic)

Duke, i really wanna do it on insane one day, but the loading time are what piss me off most, maybe you have a lot of skill for this, so thats why you didn't died much. Personally i die so much when i do campaign on hard, i dont wanna have to wait too long at checkpoints. Personally i died so many time on the queen bitch and octaking even on normal...

And last, personally i always start a game on normal, ITS THE TRUE WAY the game is intended to be played. This is where i know if a game is fun or not and i judge it by it. Veteran/Legendary/Insane are just there to had reply value over achievements and brag you did it at the hardest... thats all. For me the only good part of an insane playtrough is the pop at the end... i HATE playing on the hardest setting exep if its not too hard like bulletstorm, soldier of fortune 3, jericho... Those where almost not harder than normal.

Gears of War Legend
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 AM   #60
ll X ll

Just finished the queen boss. I am currently going for the gunslinger achievement + insane mode. I just kept hiding on the left stalking up on ammo and keep picking up the shotgun when the octa-aliens came then picking the RPG to shoot the boss + if there are any preganators around i'll shoot them too with the RPG.

3 tries and just finished it! Will continue now for sometime and then i'll call it a day. So far so good.