PlaystationTrophies Got a news tip? tips@x360a.org
Username
Password

Go Back   XboxAchievements.com > Xbox 360 Retail Games > Shooter > Duke Nukem Forever
Subscribe    Donate

Old 09-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #61
bigskinner

dA m0tAtAy dArk's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ll X ll View Post
Im currently playing it on insane. Not as bad as many are making it out to be although, im worried about some parts in the game. The hive being one, Octaking, Dam boss and thats about it for me i guess. We'll see what happens.
just bought game and playing through on normal just to get the feel of it, and obviously get full ego and do a spot of mopping up before hitting the insane playthrough.

i agree with everyone else in regards to the load times they are ridiculous, and installing it to the hdd will not make any difference at all.

will most likely look for the vids for insane playthrough, but seriously this game is about maxxing the cheevios and having some good fun in the process.

its time to kick some ass, and chew some gum!!!
bigskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #62
Barad

Location: Bristol, England Occupation: Undergraduate Status: Doing a raid
Send a message via Skype™ to Barad

Barad XBA's Gamercard

Awards Showcase Achievement Guide - Emerald   The Sports Challenge Club - Tier 1   Community Gaming - Emerald   VGO Bronze Medal   VGO Silver Medal   VGO Gold Medal   VGO Team Award - Bronze   Road Map - Emerald   Donator - Level 2   Staff vs Subscribers 2014 Winner   CABS Beta Tester   XBA Representer
Total Awards: 23 (more» ...)
Just finished the game on normal and after playing something so long and terrible the hell I'm playing it again on insane..selling this.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: THE CREW

Barad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #63
xX5TAR5CR3AMXx

Luckily the first level I tried on this difficulty was crash course. Safe to say I didn't waste time on any other levels after that cause crash course was f**kin impossible!
xX5TAR5CR3AMXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #64
XperimntNterror

XperimntNterror's Gamercard
i'm doing my insane run now (just finished The Duke Burger - 10 stages left). I have to say, the only really troubling spot (so far) was the turret section in Crash Course. I definitely wanted to punch the screen. Even the Alien Queen was easier to beat than she was on my initial Normal playthrough.

To anyone not sure about this difficulty, keep in mind, the most difficult parts are the bosses and the Crash Course turret section. The levels are fairly short and a number really don't even have too many large enemy encounters. There are also certain areas where you can skip fighting enemies. A number of the Octabrains can be avoided during The Hive if you simply run for the exit door to the area they have spawned in.

I was anticipating the worst, but, if you can beat Halo on Legendary or any other difficult shooter, then this will mostly pale in comparison.

Thanks to V1ZIONZxBLOOD for the really cool sig!
XperimntNterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #65
Cyclobomber

Cyclobomber's Gamercard
I just beat it on Damn, I'm Good!. I'm quitte happy that on a lot of places I saved items or ammo, so that on the roof of the Duke Burger I had an "extra" bottle of 'roids, but I could have done better with my holoduke I guess.

Last parts (from Forkstop 'till Final Battle) were hellish (especialle the underwater level, up to the Energy Leech -which was less painful than the underwater Octabrains). Surprisingly, the small underwater part with the octababies wasn't too hard for me, I even managed to kill some with melee, even though they would best me on Let's Rock...

Against the Pigcops that besiege you when you turn the power back on in the Forkstop, I'd advise you to get the holoduke in the small room before the checkpoint, then reload after the save, so that you'll have two holodukes, it can't hurt.

During The Clarifier, when you're stacking the blue barrels, try to have a holoduke at handy and to save as much shrinker ammo as possible for the Captains, so that you can distract them with the holoduke, run to the office for an extra beer if you saved the first one (reloading a later checkpoint respawns previous static items, and having extra beers on any given scene can be a real life saver), then shrink'em and give'em some 12-caliber aspirin with the shotgun hidden in the cabinet.
Of course it never hurts to shoot'em a bit with the railgun as well.

Similarly, by having the shrinker on yourself when you reload the checkpoint, the one hidden in the back will respawn, so take that opportunity to carry a fresh one with full ammo to the next shootout up to the octabrains after Dylan gave you his parting speech, because shrinker + shotgun at close range is your magical combination against Octabrains here.

Personally, I'd say that without blocking the enemies' script during the last battle it's almost impossible, way too many things going on, and the Enforcers soak up way too much bullets... So farm RPGs and pipebombs during the first wave, keep one last pigcop alive, then harass the Emperor, and the whole second wave will be quite peaceful, keep going for the third wave as well, better play it safe.

My thanks go, of course, to everyone who already beat the game on Damn, I'm Good! and shared their tips and videos.

All in all, despite very highly frustrating sequences (including of course the Alien Mothership and Crash Course), I've had a lot of fun beating the game on the highest difficulty, but I'm glad I won't have to do it again for a while (I'm waiting for the SP Campaign DLC), now, off to listen to all the phones, and I will have all 1000G for Duke Nukem Forever.

Last edited by Cyclobomber; 11-12-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Cyclobomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #66
legendaryjman

Legendary J Man's Gamercard
I just now beat the game on insane. I will agree with what Cyclobomber said, by far the hardest parts for me were the two turret sections: The Mother Ship and the Crash Course. What got me through it though, is that I have an auto-controller. I was able to put LT on auto and use it auto track the ships. Though it still required memorizing their flight patterns to be able to get ready for them.

The bosses were not that tough, they all have very strict patterns that can be exploited, its really just the turret sections that are murder.

The way I played is that once I got the shrink gun on the top of duke burger I kept that with me all the way up until I got the freeze gun. Once I had the freeze gun it was all about freezing enemies and punching them to death. Remember to use the switching back and forth between Duke Nukem 3D's freeze gun and Forever's so that you get unlimited ammo.

See I made the mistake of handicapping myself and attempting to get Gunslinger at the same time as Damn, I'm good. I got all the way up to the generator room and then had to drop the pistol to hold the freeze gun and the devistator at the same time.
legendaryjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:28 PM   #67
Trombonafide

Trombonafide's Gamercard
Don't get discouraged. Insane isn't as hard as most people make it out to be. Sure, its no cakewalk. But with a little perseverance, you'll be able to get through it just fine. The most important thing is learning enemy patterns and where/when they spawn. If you can do that and be prepared for them when they attack, you'll be fine. The turret sections are pretty unforgiving, but there are plenty of YouTube guides that can help you with that. Seriously, after the second turret battle, its all downhill from there. I found the Octaking boss to be far easier than people were suggesting. I watched a guide or two before taking him on, and managed to beat him on my first go.

Patience is the name of the game here. You can do it!

Retail 100%: 97
Arcade 100%: 55
Retail 1000+: 21

Latest Completions:
Grand Theft Auto V - 11/11/13
Gears of War: Judgment - 10/09/13
Wordament (Android) - 10/06/13

150k - 12/20/12
160k - 04/11/13
170k - 07/29/13
Trombonafide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #68
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
I can't even get through Vegas in Ruins. I got stuck at the part right after Jenkins dies. You eventually get rushed by pig cops and I can't kill them fast enough to stop them from swarming and killing me. And then you have to go all the way back to an earlier encounter with different enemies. I got sick of it and said fuck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentCabaret View Post
This guide continues to warm my heart and piss off my roommates. Thanks so much!
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #69
Momenkiller

Mom3ntkill3r's Gamercard
Duke Insane

The 2 hardest are
on a Gun turret (in a broken heli)
Octo

ADS spam o nthe turret for best accuracy

whe nfighting octo, bring a holoduke and a beer wit hyou, use the beer for the first part, then use a hol oduke to kil small ones, then kill the octo
Momenkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:48 AM   #70
Blue Thunder28

Blue Thunder28's Gamercard
Insane hasn't been hard at all for me, I read about the Crash Course turret section and used a video guide for it (pumping L and abusing aim assist) and did it on my first try, I may be very lucky though.

Video guides can help a ton especially for the Crash Course turret section.

Having maximum Ego helps a lot.

Last edited by Blue Thunder28; 12-31-2011 at 02:57 AM.
Blue Thunder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:27 PM   #71
shadowrowin

Rowin Ocampo's Gamercard
Insane honestly isn't that bad. There are only really three spots that give alot of trouble. The crashed helichopter, the octobrains before the firsttime with the king, and the battle with the mothership. Other than that, it's really easy if you just take your time. I got it in less than 18 hours. Just take your time and relax, and it's easy.
shadowrowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #72
Cyclobomber

Cyclobomber's Gamercard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc0961 View Post
I can't even get through Vegas in Ruins. I got stuck at the part right after Jenkins dies. You eventually get rushed by pig cops and I can't kill them fast enough to stop them from swarming and killing me. And then you have to go all the way back to an earlier encounter with different enemies. I got sick of it and said fuck it.
I see the place, before you get to the turret, there are pipebombs and a bottle of 'roids on your right, get'em, throw a few bombs, detonate'em, don't bother with the turret, use the chaingun cannon, then gobble the pills, it's much easier that way, and don't forget to circle strafe the pigs between punches.
Cyclobomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #73
theirishmagnum

xx Decipher's Gamercard
So tip for the 1st octo-king, use turret, then crouch behind it, the objects thrown at you just explode in front of the bars, and you take no damage, iv had little to no problem up to this point, games great! With all this talk about the insane difficulty being CRAZY...it's not! One just needs to use their gaming experience from over the years, all egos caps are a must! and pistol headshots like a hot knife through butter lol
theirishmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 AM   #74
mjc0961

mjc0961's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts   Submit - Gold   Arcade Crazy - Bronze
Total Awards: 3 (more» ...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowrowin View Post
Just take your time and relax, and it's easy.
Not really. Enemies rush you, so "taking your time" isn't worth two shits. You really can't take your time in this game, it does not let you. Relax? That doesn't make it easier, that just makes you less likely to break controllers when you die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolentCabaret View Post
This guide continues to warm my heart and piss off my roommates. Thanks so much!
mjc0961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #75
Nevander

Awards Showcase Submit - Bronze   Referrals - Bronze   Road Map - Silver   Achievement Guide - Silver   5,000 Posts
Total Awards: 5 (more» ...)
I just want to say that this game has a lot of knowing how to approach each and every area in it. If you have what you need (like holodukes, beers, etc.) then the game is pretty simple except a few parts, like Crash Course. OMG that turret section is what got me the most, that and the Mothership battle.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #76
xxDAMRONxx

xxDAMRONxx's Gamercard
there are only a couple parts that are "difficult"....the insane mode in this is not that hard. Go play Lost Planet on extreme..or devil may cry...or ninja gaiden...or FIFA 08 challenge mode...THOSE are "hard"
Old 02-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #77
theirishmagnum

xx Decipher's Gamercard
I got my carry the gold pistol through the whole game on damm i'm good, it shows in the achievement order, and I'll take pictures to prove time and dates ! And heres another tip that no one has posted either, which is odd on the part with the barrels coming down the stairs, just wait until the water fills up part of the way and swim, get air repeat. the barrels come to a dead stop and just pile up! hope this helps! any other parts that ppl need help on, just PM me and ill give a brief walkthrough if needed, since the guide has some updating to be needed for a better description of how to do things lol its still good though
theirishmagnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #78
Happy Ronin NZ

Happy Ronin NZ's Gamercard
I've completed 13/23 levels on Insane. I have used the chapter select to do the more difficult levels first which meant I started with default weapons each time which probably made things a bit tougher for me. I have finished Crash Course and all the boss battles.

As has been mentioned a few times patience is a big part of beating Insane. The game is generally ok with a few hard parts thrown in but there are some good strategies to follow. And I would disagree with the comment that enemies rush you. Maybe in a few parts but most of the time you can pick them off.

I'm looking forward to finishing this pile of poo and selling it.

Oh and the DLC is definitely easier then the main campaign IMO.
Happy Ronin NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 PM   #79
cacodemon54

Cacodemon54's Gamercard
Just finished on insane and besides the octaking and the turret section it was not that bad. Just make sure you have full ego
cacodemon54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #80
Ecto1T

Ecto1T's Gamercard
The Octaking fight is a joke if you have the shrink ray from Forklift with you. I think that fight took about a minute and a half overall. If you don't have the Shrink Ray from Forklift (it's in the secret room you need to find for an achievement) and are having trouble then I definitely recommend biting the bullet and replaying Forklift to get it.

As someone mentioned earlier, I think the hardest part of the game was the turret section and maybe the Battlelord dam fight. Other than that, I didn't notice much of a difference between the difficulties.
Ecto1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #81
I mak3 big boom

Pound My Rumpus's Gamercard
Does anyone have any tips on the dam boss because after I rip out one of his horns he inherits magical powers. I'm about to go on a serial killing spree here.
Latest 100%: Bioshock Infinite
"It is an undeniable and may I say fundamental quality of man that when faced with extinction..."
"Every alternative is preferable"
I mak3 big boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #82
Dayv00

C4uTerizer's Gamercard
beside the Octaking and the final boss the insane mode isn't so hard, for the octaking it helps a lot if you have the shrink ray which u have to carry over from the previous chapter in the secret closet so u can get rid of the octabrains by shrinking em and blowing them off with pipe bombs, as for the final boss here's a videoguide:
Dayv00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #83
Deadsea 18

Deadsea 1993's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illicit View Post
No, DNF insane in general is easier than Heart of the Reich IMO

My first playthrough of World at War on Veteran I was stuck on that level for 2 months straight trying every night. My 2nd runthrough on 360 1,000ed it in less then a week. ;0 it was very hard and un fair. The same with DNF Yes it is very hard ladies and gents I've beat some very hard games and I can say this is one of the hardest ones I've ever played. Got the ''Damn i'm Good'' and was very proud of myself. It was a nightmare to get.

It is hard because even in limited cover the Octabrains and the Octaking can fire and hit you with their energy blasts so really their isn't much you can do about it. 2nd the Load times make you feel like your being punished for dying as they are incredibly long.

Crash Course-Turret Section, I died so many times,was stuck on this one for Days

Mothership battle was stuck 2 hours on this level

Octaking battle-Had to use the shrink ray,watched vids on Youtube and could not do it like them so did the Shrink Ray way and passed it finnally after dying many many times.

Basicaly it was really hard and this is coming from someone that beat World at War's veteran not once but twice.

Thanks goes to Captain Slaughter for the signature.

Last edited by Deadsea 18; 12-15-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Deadsea 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #84
Jet1337

Jet1337's Gamercard

Awards Showcase 1,000 Posts
Total Awards: 1 (more» ...)
Wow, the aiming is so fucking shitty in this game. Won't have that problem when I get my pc...

The turret on Crash Course was a bitch, but once I turned off vibration and put my y-axis to 5, I did it in one try.

Last edited by Jet1337; 12-18-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Jet1337 is offline   Reply With Quote